Does Jordan Phillips ever get 10 sacks again?

Kelly the Dog

Phillips is only 27 and just getting into the prime of his career. He's an extremely talented player who fits perfectly into what we do on defense. Here I think he could get 10 sacks again and possibly multiple times at that. Anywhere else that runs a different scheme and I'm not so sure. 

7 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yes?

No?

I expect it will be 10 by season’s end. Will he ever do it again? 

I say no but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t re-sign him. We should depending on the money. He loves Buffalo. He’s going to demand more than he is worth. But we should sign him and likely release Star. 

Look at that video he posted where he was penalized "Offside" but clearly is not.

I would say it depends upon whether or not he/the Bills can persuade the NFL that's a clean play.  If he can, he could be killing the DT sack totals for several years.

He's only 27 and that burst is just SICK.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Phillips has the ability to hit 10 again. The questions are scheme and motivation. I really don’t question those factors with him on this roster unless Oliver takes all the snaps. IIRC there was one interview where he mentioned that Miami didn’t play him on third downs. I see Phillips as a 5-7 sack DT that will occasionally eclipse that total with talent around him. 

It’s important to note that we’re getting into the “resign our own” phase of the rebuild. I feel like they have to resign a few guys that have bought in to the process to maintain momentum and the family vibe. At the very least they need to offer competitive contracts to guys like Phillips; who not only bought in, but is vocal about telling anyone that will listen this team/locker room is special. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Look at that video he posted where he was penalized "Offside" but clearly is not.

I would say it depends upon whether or not he/the Bills can persuade the NFL that's a clean play.  If he can, he could be killing the DT sack totals for several years.

He's only 27 and that burst is just SICK.

Hap, as I detailed in the other thread ...

going frame by frame at the 15 second mark his head crosses the LOS before the the ball is snapped.

By rule he was off sides.  It was very close and in real time you can argue a BS call.  

9 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Dead cap isn’t going to matter at all to the Bills next year. The savings on Star’s salary to be able to retain Shaq and Phillips on that line would be worth it. And I think Star is better than most give him credit for. We have 80-90m to spend. We aren’t going to. Dead money from Star is immaterial. 

Perfectly stated.

6 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I think Phillips walks and Shaq stays. Murphy is also cut. Star isn’t going anywhere yet because of his contract structure. Maybe after next year he will be cut. I think the Bills will look at either resigning Corey or finding another player to replace Phillips to go with Oliver, Harrison, and Star.

This is how I see it as well. To answer OP: I doubt it.

The uptick in sacks go hand-in-glove with this unit's more recent commitment and ability to stop the run.

We have been able to force teams to be more one-dimensional passing teams, which has allowed Leslie to unleash the dogs on the pass rush.

We also boast some decent down field coverage in our secondary that allows our pass rush to get to the QB too. Although Wallace is still a bit of a weak link back there.

They continue to do that, and if the offense can score points, the sacks will keep coming.

Im on the fence, I think there is a chance the sacks are a bit of an anomaly this year.    He also know a guy in his position and with his performace will get paid....contract year at the right age.  He will cash in, will he stay focused?

Dareus got 10 sacks once...................ONCE!

I think you do everything possible to keep this defense together, while adding to the offense (WR, RB).  They can't break the bank, obviously, with several ..key.. players due up in the next couple years.   But, they have something special in this group right now.  It'd be nice to see them keep it together for a few years.

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Highly unlikely.  10 sacks is really hard for a DT. He can still be a very valuable player though.

he is going to make big bucks.  He still has some knucklehead in him but it will be interesting to see what the Bills offer him with Oliver, Phillips, and I guess Star. 

The one thing that I love about him is that he loves playing here 

he loves the fans/Bills mafia ,