The Impeachment Trial of President Donald J. Trump

Nanker

House impeachers can hide from a trial, but they can’t run

Washington Examiner, by Editorial

Original Article

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is upset. She let her caucus impeach President Trump on dubious charges with a narrow partisan majority and without taking the time to gather evidence that she now believes must be heard in a Senate trial as it might convince a skeptical public. And now, huge surprise, the Republican Senate appears poised to send the resulting impeachment articles straight to the circular file. As of Friday, Pelosi was still withholding the articles of impeachment from the Senate. She is making demands that the Senate trial be run in a particular way, even though the California Democrat is not a senator.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

i see there are whispers that Nancy will name the House Managers for the Senate Impeachment, effectively transmitting the Articles,  at some point this week.

I hope McConnell refuses to accept the "House Managers," on the grounds that there's absolutely no such legal requirement for the House to be involved in Senate business.  

Just to watch the lefts' heads explode.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I hope McConnell refuses to accept the "House Managers," on the grounds that there's absolutely no such legal requirement for the House to be involved in Senate business.  

Just to watch the lefts' heads explode.

Bolton has come out and said that if he is subpoenaed by the Senate that he will testify. all of which has renewed calls for the House to subpoena him. i mean, you seriously can't make this ***** up, their minds are completely broken.

Just now, Foxx said:

Bolton has come out and said that if he is subpoenaed by the Senate that he will testify. all of which has renewed calls for the House to subpoena him. i mean, you seriously can't make this ***** up, their minds are completely broken.

John Bolton, Democratic savior.  :lol:

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Protect the constitution? Abuse of power directly undermines the constitution. GOP flushing the constitution right down the toilet 

It's funny watching Nancy holding out the articles as a chip in negotiating with Mitch.  Holding out something Mitch has said he really doesn't want. 

Nancy:  Mitch I'm not sending them until you agree to a process we want.

Mitch:  OK, Nancy.

Nancy:  Well Mitch? 

Mitch:  Well what? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 4

17 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

How much does Al Pacino hate that Senate Republicans are best described by Al Pacino memes?  :lol:

not as much as Trump using that Stones song for his rallies.... :D

Allan Klein's ABKCO keeps jabbing them

JONATHAN TURLEY: Democratic impeachment case collapses under weight of time.

The witness was Charles Kupperman, a deputy to former national security adviser John Bolton. Other than Bolton himself, Kupperman is one of the officials most likely to have direct knowledge of an alleged quid pro quo on aid to Ukraine. After subpoenaing him last fall, the House withdrew its request before the court could rule on compelling his testimony for the record. The House also decided not to subpoena Bolton or any other key witnesses in the administration. Judge Richard Leon dismissed the case before New Years Eve with a hint of frustration, if not bewilderment, that the House did not seem interested in hearing from a possible eyewitness. Historically, that lack of attention in not only witnesses but also a triable case will remain one of the most baffling blunders of this impeachment.

When I testified in the House Judiciary Committee impeachment hearing, I cited this case in my criticism of the pledge by Democrats to impeach Trump by Christmas despite a very incomplete record. While I opposed some of the proposed articles of impeachment that were subsequently dropped by the panel, I said Trump could be legitimately impeached on abuse of power and obstruction of justice if the House could establish such violations. But the House refused to wait just a couple months to build a much stronger case to remove Trump. In the mad rush to push impeachment, Democrats could not have made it easier for his team.

I’m convinced Democrats rushed it because

A) They could not indeed make a legitimate impeachment on abuse of power and obstruction of justice, and

B) they needed out of the headlines ASAP.

ALTITUDE

'He is our O.J.'

POLITICO readers explain why they’re standing with Trump during impeachment.

Donald Trump

Joe Raedle/Getty Images

By JOHN F. HARRIS

01/09/2020 05:08 AM EST

Explain yourself, I asked readers who are indignant about President Donald Trump’s impeachment shortly before the holiday break. I wasn’t asking merely for a defense of Trump, but for an honest illumination of what defenders would think if the essential facts in the Ukraine matter were the same except for one — Hillary Clinton were president.

Several hundred people sent emails, the majority of them thoughtfully composed and accepting the invitation in good faith. This was a vivid window into the Age of Trump.

Story Continued Below

With sincerity, candor, and even a measure of wistful idealism, people shared their views of a political and media culture they believe is cynical at its core. If almost nothing is on the level, almost anything goes.

Story Continued Below

For Keith Swartz, who is 66 years old and runs a recruiting firm based in Tacoma, almost anything includes a president he regards as “manic, uneducated, illogical,” and also “essentially a horrible person….vulgar, amoral, narcissistic.”

Wait, this a defense of Trump? Yes, hang on. He’s done a fine job on the economy, in particular, in the face of a Democratic opposition that has bent rules and abused process for three years in an implacable bid to thwart him. “To those of us who support what he has accomplished,” Swartz concluded, “it feels like he is our O.J.”

53 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

ALTITUDE

'He is our O.J.'

POLITICO readers explain why they’re standing with Trump during impeachment.

Donald Trump

Joe Raedle/Getty Images

By JOHN F. HARRIS

01/09/2020 05:08 AM EST

Explain yourself, I asked readers who are indignant about President Donald Trump’s impeachment shortly before the holiday break. I wasn’t asking merely for a defense of Trump, but for an honest illumination of what defenders would think if the essential facts in the Ukraine matter were the same except for one — Hillary Clinton were president.

Several hundred people sent emails, the majority of them thoughtfully composed and accepting the invitation in good faith. This was a vivid window into the Age of Trump.

Story Continued Below

With sincerity, candor, and even a measure of wistful idealism, people shared their views of a political and media culture they believe is cynical at its core. If almost nothing is on the level, almost anything goes.

Story Continued Below

For Keith Swartz, who is 66 years old and runs a recruiting firm based in Tacoma, almost anything includes a president he regards as “manic, uneducated, illogical,” and also “essentially a horrible person….vulgar, amoral, narcissistic.”

Wait, this a defense of Trump? Yes, hang on. He’s done a fine job on the economy, in particular, in the face of a Democratic opposition that has bent rules and abused process for three years in an implacable bid to thwart him. “To those of us who support what he has accomplished,” Swartz concluded, “it feels like he is our O.J.”

Well, you certainly split that article up to do your cherry picking. How about this part of the article:

I always believed the line actually captured a larger truth about how he survived the impeachment 21 years ago. He believed—and many of his supporters believed with him—that many questions of right and wrong in politics are relative, not absolute. A charge of presidential misconduct can’t be divorced from context—between who is making the charge and what their motives are, between who stands to gain and who stands to lose.

The Trump impeachment highlights how strongly the Clinton perspective has prevailed. Trump-backing conservatives are no longer absolutists on matters of ethics or law. Very few of my email correspondents are defending the merits of Trump’s attempt last summer to pressure Ukraine president Volodymyr Zelensky to investigate the Bidens.

Instead, they correctly note how many Democrats were pressing for impeachment before the Ukraine matter came up, some even before Trump was sworn in. (Likewise, some prominent Republicans in 2016 were vowing impeachment if Hillary Clinton was elected, because of her private email accounts as secretary of state.)

One person wrote to tell me he hadn’t voted for Trump last time but probably will this time: “He's good enough, and he has delivered great benefit for our country. The real thing is that it's crystal clear that the motivations behind this impeachment are more corrupt than anything he's been accused of, let alone anything that's been proven that he's done.”

Another: “It just seems really obvious to me that people who hate Trump and consider him an existential threat to their idea of what America should be think that anything is justifiable in getting him out of office. Impeachment is not about ‘saving the Republic’ it is about wounding a strong candidate going up against a field of tepid Democratic losers, rookies and has-beens.”

I understand the perspective. It also seems obvious that if the political motivations of opponents matter more than the underlying conduct it is hard to imagine any behavior by a president from any party that could not be successfully defended.

But let’s give the last word to a correspondent who didn’t vote for Trump in 2016, doesn’t expect to do so in 2020, and nonetheless is sickened by Democrats over impeachment.

“You may find my position neither consistent nor logical but there it is,” the writer said. “Consistency is certainly an essential standard of logical argument but it is, in my opinion, very overvalued as a measure of judgment. We live in ‘scoundrel times’ and when both sides prove themselves to be scoundrels, you may be forced to ‘pick you poison.’”

How’s that for an inspiring way to launch an election year?