The Impeachment Trial of President Donald J. Trump

Nanker

20 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

He is literally such a bad president you have to blame us for him. Sad.

You're the idiots who, when faced with the worst candidate in history, said "hold my beer" and somehow rolled out an even WORSE candidate.

So...yeah, this ***** is all on you.  Next time run a candidate that doesn't dismiss the Central and Mountain time zones as "deplorable."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

You're the idiots who, when faced with the worst candidate in history, said "hold my beer" and somehow rolled out an even WORSE candidate.

So...yeah, this ***** is all on you.  Next time run a candidate that doesn't dismiss the Central and Mountain time zones as "deplorable."

All on you Tibs. Why did you pick Hillary?

ALL YOUR FAULT!

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Dumb. Anyone we nominated would be "The worst ever in history ever!" 

Just to to protect Trump, sad 

14 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

Actually yes.  Obama limped to the finish line of his presidency with sagging approval from lousy policy positions.  Hillary was a dud candidate to say the least so Yes Obama and Clinton resulted in Trump.

This country LOVES Obama 

SEND IN THE CLOWNS

His political opponents have been out to impeach Donald Trump roughly since the day after the 2016 election. Their efforts come to fruition in the two articles of impeachment that the Democrats will adopt some time today.

The Democrats’ media adjunct has kept ranks with impressive exactitude as they marched along with the Democrats. The rank dishonesty and maniacal partisanship underlying impeachment have made for a sorry spectacle.

What can be said about the House triumvirate of Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff, Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerry Nadler, and Speaker Nancy “prayerful” Pelosi? Send in the clowns.

The Russia hoax collapsed in the senile display of Robert Mueller before the House Judiciary Committee on July 24. On July 25 President Trump had the congratulatory telephone call with Ukraine’s President Zelensky that somehow became the subject of a complaint submitted by a fake “whistleblower.” The fake whistleblower has remained anonymous for some reason. We all know who he is, although the Democrats’ have protected his identity more zealously than intelligence authorities protect top secret information.

Send in the clowns.

As the Russia hoax was a pretext for undermining Trump, the Ukraine thing is an obvious pretext for the continuation. Both episodes are shot through with such dishonesty and bad faith it is no coincidence (as the Communists used to say) that Adam Schiff has been out in front of each. The prayerful Pelosi logically tapped Schiff to conduct and direct impeachment theater in the House even though the Intelligence Committee has at best a highly questionable role in it.

Send in the clowns.

Michael Anton seems to me to have a handle on the back story in the CRB essay The empire strikes back.” As the Democrats have dumbed down impeachment, Anton gives us a sort of impeachment for dummies.

"The principle that senators are not jurors in the traditional sense was well established at the outset of the 1999 impeachment trial of President Bill Clinton."

"Tasked with delivering an opening statement for the House managers, who present the House’s case to the Senate, Rep. Robert Barr, R-Ga., reminded the senators of Clinton’s tendency to 'nitpick' over details or 'parse a specific word or phrase of testimony.' To Barr, the conclusion was obvious: 'We urge you, the distinguished jurors in this case, not to be fooled.'

That was the moment Sen. Tom Harkin, an Iowa Democrat, had been waiting for. 'Mr. Chief Justice,' he said, addressing William Rehnquist, who was presiding over the trial, 'I object to the use and the continued use of the word "jurors" when referring to the Senate.'...

The chief justice sustained the objection. 'The Senate is not simply a jury,' he ruled. 'It is a court in this case.' Rehnquist thus admonished the House managers 'to refrain from referring to the Senators as jurors.' For the balance of the trial, they were called 'triers of law and fact.'...

In an ordinary trial, the jury’s role is generally limited to fact finding, while the judge determines the scope and application of the law. In an impeachment trial, however, the Senate itself has the 'sole power' to decide every issue. Recognizing the Senate’s all-encompassing responsibility, and his own limited role, Chief Justice Rehnquist referred to himself throughout the proceeding only as 'the chair.'"

Writes lawprof Steven Lubet in (The National Interest).

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

Agree.  He's been mostly invisible since leaving office to the pleasure of most. 

I get a chuckle out of "those people" that say Obama is stupid. I'm like, wtf are they talking about? Must have some sort of malady that makes them want to think that 

17 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

i am not in any way in favor of this.

the only thing this does is to allow the Dems to cry about it being unfair and to pontificate that, 'yes, Trump was impeached, but for the partisanship of the Senate, he would have been removed'. it only serves to continue to let them divide the country.

what needs to happen is to have a completely open trial. both sides call all the witnesses they want. the only way to bury this is to let the light shine and bear it all before the American public.

• Thank you (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Foxx said:

i am not in any way in favor of this.

the only thing this does is to allow the Dems to cry about it being unfair and to pontificate that, 'yes, Trump was impeached, but for the partisanship of the Senate, he would have been removed'. it only serves to continue to let them divide the country.

what needs to happen is to have a completely open trial. both sides call all the witnesses they want. the only way to bury this is to let the light shine and bear it all before the American public.

The dems rushed for impeachment and refused to go to court to get the witnesses they wanted so now we are sticking to their rules. While I would love to see the whistle blower and Schiff have to testify the House has presented it's case to their membership. They can present it again to the Senate without retrying it.

• Like (+1) 1