49ers vs Ravens

ILBillsfan

its really tough to see how buff can beat balt after watching this game. they are so solid its frightening.

JA is gonna have to run a lot.And he is gonna have to be perfect on his short passes.Plus we have to win the turnover battle.

15 % chance they win.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

That didn't work today

They came as close as anybody has in the last few months. There was some questionable calls like their timeouts and the 4th down, that could have changed the outcome. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

That didn't work today

I think it kind of did and it appeared as though this was the 49er's approach. Tough to tell how much the rain impacted the game, but it was LJ's worst game in quite some time.

• Thank you (+1) 2

I think the Ravens game will be one where you bench Murphy and play Lorax at DE, if possible.  Use a nickel DB rather than a third LB.  Have Milano and the nickel DB spy Lamar, especially on the outside edges.  Rely on Edmunds and the DTs to stop anything inside.  I don't think taking their TE or Ingraham away exclusively will work; if you're going to take anyone away from Baltimore, it will have to be Lamar's rushing ability.  Have to make him be a passer.

4 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I think it kind of did and it appeared as though this was the 49er's approach. Tough to tell how much the rain impacted the game, but it was LJ's worst game in quite some time.

we better hope for some bad weather SUN

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, jethro_tull said:

Ravens will be primed for a letdown game after today's win.  

Nice already call it a trap game... Anything to try to diminish a win. Lol jk

Lamar took some hard hits this game. I am liking this matchup.

Edited by Boca BIlls
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I think the Ravens game will be one where you bench Murphy and play Lorax at DE, if possible.  Use a nickel DB rather than a third LB.  Have Milano and the nickel DB spy Lamar, especially on the outside edges.  Rely on Edmunds and the DTs to stop anything inside.  I don't think taking their TE or Ingraham away exclusively will work; if you're going to take anyone away from Baltimore, it will have to be Lamar's rushing ability.  Have to make him be a passer.

Interesting. I have the opposite take. Murphy actually might be useful in this game. The Bills should be in base defense most of the game because even when they spread you out it is with multiple TE group(ps exactly what I think Bills should do on offense).  Shaq should start but Murphy can help hold the edge. He just needs to be coached to go no further than 1 step across LOS.  He will never sack Jackson. His job should be to stay wide and dont let Jackson outside. Jackson loves to step inside and then burst to the outside. Murphy and Shaq would do just as well to stand there and occupy space preventing Jackson from breaking to the sideline.

This game will be won or lost based on coverage of their Tight ends and tackling by Edmunds, Poyer, and Hyde.

35 minutes ago, Tcali said:

its really tough to see how buff can beat balt after watching this game. they are so solid its frightening.

JA is gonna have to run a lot.And he is gonna have to be perfect on his short passes.Plus we have to win the turnover battle.

15 % chance they win.

I'm of the mindset that if we are within the spread legitimately in the end (no garbage covers), I'll take it. The Ravens are damn near impossible to stop on O. Perhaps a shootout?

8 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Interesting. I have the opposite take. Murphy actually might be useful in this game. The Bills should be in base defense most of the game because even when they spread you out it is with multiple TE group(ps exactly what I think Bills should do on offense).  Shaq should start but Murphy can help hold the edge. He just needs to be coached to go no further than 1 step across LOS.  He will never sack Jackson. His job should be to stay wide and dont let Jackson outside. Jackson loves to step inside and then burst to the outside. Murphy and Shaq would do just as well to stand there and occupy space preventing Jackson from breaking to the sideline.

This game will be won or lost based on coverage of their Tight ends and tackling by Edmunds, Poyer, and Hyde.

Murphy is a total liability against the run because he is undisciplined, he overcommits and does not maintain his gap.  I doubt anyone can coach discipline into him which is why he should be a healthy scratch.  I agree that Murphy will not be able to sack Lamar, though for multiple reasons.  That is why I think Lorax might be a better option at edge.

Jackson does a good job of seeing and picking his holes, both inside and outside.  This is why I think there should be two spies on Lamar, one for each side. 

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Murphy is a total liability against the run because he is undisciplined, he overcommits and does not maintain his gap.  I doubt anyone can coach discipline into him which is why he should be a healthy scratch.  I agree that Murphy will not be able to sack Lamar, though for multiple reasons.  That is why I think Lorax might be a better option at edge.

Jackson does a good job of seeing and picking his holes, both inside and outside.  This is why I think there should be two spies on Lamar, one for each side. 

Who plays OLB if Lorax is at DE? 

7 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Oh hell no. They have three tight ends that all play well. They'd rush for 200 if we play nickel all game.  

I think they need to go big nickel with a S as the nickel back, not a CB. The Bills need as much speed on the field as possible while still being able to slow Ingram.

The Niners did a very good job of slowing them in the 2nd half, I’ll be interested in what the tape shows they did. It appeared they were much more disciplined in their edge contain and stopped biting hard on every handoff/fake to Ingram.

1 hour ago, Talley56 said:

Yeah, I really thought the rain would give the 49ers an advantage.  Anyone know if snow is in the forecast for next week?

Too early to really know...snow doesn't have much of an effect unless its really heavy

Edited by matter2003

San Francisco gained lots of yardage on the ground when they ran outside.  They didn't much try to run inside where the Ravens have a pair of short 330-340 lb DTs and a 300 lb defensive end.   Baltimore played good, not great defense, but Garappolo completed a high percentage of his passes even though he didn't have a big day yardage wise.  Baltimore's Mark Ingram had several solid carries, but San Francisco stuffed him enough that his total yards and YPC were not very impressive.  Lamar Jackson had just over 100 yards on the ground.  Most of those were outside.  A spy on Jackson may work, but gap discipline is of paramount importance, otherwise Mark Ingram is going to get first downs all day long.  It was the tight ends who did the most damage receiving for Baltimore.  Mark Andrews had 50 yards on 3 receptions and Hayden Hurst chipped in another 21.  Jackson only had 30 yards passing that wasn't to his tight ends

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rockinon said:

Stopping that Ravens run game is going to be tough. That pre-snap motion is going to be a problem.

might need to ignore it and play lots of zone.

3 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

San Francisco gained lots of yardage on the ground when they ran outside.  They didn't much try to run inside where the Ravens have a pair of short 330-340 lb DTs and a 300 lb defensive end.   Baltimore played good, not great defense, but Garappolo completed a high percentage of his passes even though he didn't have a big day yardage wise.  Baltimore's Mark Ingram had several solid carries, but San Francisco stuffed him enough that his total yards and YPC were not very impressive.  Lamar Jackson had just over 100 yards on the ground.  Most of those were outside.  A spy on Jackson may work, but gap discipline is of paramount importance, otherwise Mark Ingram is going to get first downs all day long.  It was the tight ends who did the most damage receiving for Baltimore.  Mark Andrews had 50 yards on 3 receptions and Hayden Hurst chipped in another 21.  Jackson only had 30 yards passing that wasn't to his tight ends

I can't see a spy working, patriots got smashed doing that.

We play a base zone so we will probably stick with that and use a 7 man front instead of our usual 6. Probably due some 8 man fronts too.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Gonna need Edmund's and Milano up at line of scrimmage a lot.  Hughes and Lawson stay at home and bring the pressure up the middle. 

Jackson will just run outside, need push the pocket and close in from the outside, basically close the pocket around him.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Jackson will just run outside, need push the pocket and close in from the outside, basically close the pocket around him.

That's why I'm saying DEs need to hold the edge.  Dont even pressure from outside.  This is how they use to stop Vick.  DEs just occupy blockers but hold the edge and you bring pressure up middle. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Benching Murphy will let them really them run.

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He has scored 32 of their 43 TDs.  

still takes a team.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, westside2 said:

Can you imagine how brutal it would be if Allen threw for 105 yards??

Just win

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Oh hell no. They have three tight ends that all play well. They'd rush for 200 if we play nickel all game.  

totally agree, we're are dead if we stay in our nickel. 

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Benching Murphy will let them really them run.

Benching Murphy is the best thing you can do if you want to stop the run.  He's terrible at rush D.

4 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Lamar rarely runs A/B gap. Keep your Lb's wide and your DE's must contain C/D gap. You can score on the Ravens defense. 

DE maintain outside edge and Edmunds work the middle. Milano and whatever safety needs to spy has to catch Jackson.
I rarely watch other games but wanted to get a look at Ravens and two of the best running games in the League.
Ravens with whoever their O coordinator is (lol) are doing a hell of a job running great plays and blocking, executing up front and on the edges.

was a great game

and who said the running game is going away, rain or no rain.

Bills have their hands full

Go Bills