Jerry Sullivan on our podcast: Anecdote about McDermott

gomper

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Having been on the receiving end of a coach who didn't like something that I had reported.... because it was true.... I have some sympathy for Fairbairn if this happened. 

Think the more interesting bit of what Jerry says is about the Special Teams coaching. For all that everyone hated Crossman I don't think it has been any better at all under the Carolina fella. 

Farwell is no better than Crossman,  which isn't saying much. ST this year has been just as bad as last year. 

7 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Sure, McDermott recently acted like a giant douche bag to a youngish reporter, getting in his face in an attempt at physical intimidation, dropping F bombs like nuts on him, and asking him "Are you on the team or not?!" 

This was at a press conference.  Presumably because McDouche didn't like a question or two, and apparently actually thinks the media is supposed to bolster the team as though it is part of the Bills P/R department.

Not many people heard about this because Pegula controls the media in WNY now either directly or indirectly. 

Quite an interesting little story.

McDouche = psycho

Image result for what is wrong with you gif

7 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Sure, McDermott recently acted like a giant douche bag to a youngish reporter, getting in his face in an attempt at physical intimidation, dropping F bombs like nuts on him, and asking him "Are you on the team or not?!" 

This was at a press conference.  Presumably because McDouche didn't like a question or two, and apparently actually thinks the media is supposed to bolster the team as though it is part of the Bills P/R department.

Not many people heard about this because Pegula controls the media in WNY now either directly or indirectly. 

Quite an interesting little story.

McDouche = psycho

Are you alright?

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Gomper, I don't think sarcasm is a correct descriptor for what that is.  It's an analogy, using hyperbole to emphasize the intended point.

The problem is the hyperbole is so over the top exaggerated that it actually detracts from the credibility of the actual account.

I hear it and I think, "if those guys believe that comparison to actual totalitarian state's secret police force is an apt analogy for treatment of the media by the Pegulas and the Bills FO, that is just so obviously exaggerated that I have to consider any story they tell might be equally subject to exaggeration"

Edit: oldmanfan said something less polite, but more concise

Fair enough. 

• Like (+1) 1

First of all, we all know that McDermott is a "control freak" to a certain extent. He'd probably admit that himself. So no news there. I bet there aren't too many head coaches in the NFL who weren't. You don't get to that position (or at least you don't succeed at that position) without trying to control every detail of your operation. There are so many coaches who fail, not because they don't know their Xs and Os,, but because they can't juggle all of the tasks of a head coach. You need someone who is a bit of a detail-oriented, control freak. 

Secondly, to take one incident and try to portray that as who the person "really" is, is so disingenuous. Like we have had a completely false picture of McDermott this whole time, and he's actually a douche, as one poster ranted. Does one outburst or moment where he may have lost his cool (for good reasons or not) erase all of the other moments of this man's life? The fact that his players love him, that he's respectful to everyone in the building, all the way down to the food servers and janitors? That he's always good with fans, that he is a good family man, etc., etc. Ridiculous. And for anyone to compare it to Marrone seems wrong too. There were so many rumors and stories of Marrone being disrespectful to players, media, and people in the building, and he was never really warm with fans either. That has not been the case with McDermott at all. In this day and age of social media, if people were really disgruntled or McDermott was really a dick, it would slip out here and there from players or staff...just look at the Jets this year. But, when you listen to the players talk about McDermott, it is always with a lot of positive emotion. There is no way they are all that good of actors to be faking it. And to portray the reason we don't know about it as being Terry Pegula has every single person in the organization and the media lying and hiding things is so over the top. I'm not saying they don't try to manage the image of the team and organization, every company (and person for that matter) does to a certain extent. It's called public relations and people get paid a lot of money to do so. But to make it seem as if Terry is controlling the media, etc. like a mob boss or dictator, just sounds like sour grapes to me from Sullivan. No offense, but that guy should have been off the Bills beat many, many years before he was finally let go.

Third, I think there are some great journalists across the different fields of journalism, including sports coverage. But let's not kid ourselves, there are some bad ones too and there are some with huge egos themselves (so it is funny to me when they call out someone they are reporting on as being a huge ego). And some of them act like they are uncovering Watergate. It's a game. It's sports. It's entertainment. They're not saving the world or stopping rings of corruption here. I am constantly annoyed by questions at pressers. Some can't even form a coherent question. Some ask ridiculous questions. Some ask things that really aren't nice. Some ask things trying to prove an angle that they wrote about to prove they're right. The same question gets repeated over and over because I want my own sound bite directed at me. I can understand coaches and players getting annoyed with those types of bad reporters at times. (I'm not saying Fairburn is one of those bad reporters, honestly I don't know enough about him to say one way or the other.)

If the incident is true as reported, then I'm not saying maybe McDermott should have handled it differently, but I'm trying to think why Fairburn would even report that they were practicing fake punts. What does that really bring to your readers or listeners? First of all, maybe they practice that every week, but usually during the nonmedia portion of practice, in which case it is not news. Or maybe it is for this week specifically, in which case, you are giving a disadvantage to the team you report on and want access from. So, why even report it? No one really cares about that information, except the opposing team of course. It seems more to me like a young reporter trying to find something else others aren't reporting on, so he had something different to say or write, in the hopes of more clicks/readers/listeners. They have to understand that their audience is almost all Bills fans. We don't really want you reporting things that could be detrimental to the team, if it isn't something that needs to be reported (meaning a bigger story of more import, you know, a real news item). Let's say a reporter is in the locker room and a player has left their playbook open on a bench. Should that reporter read that and then publish a story talking about what's in the playbook? It may be interesting, but I'd rather that not be in the press to create any disadvantage for the team. And I would completely understand anyone in the organization being upset about that and feeling as if that reporter had betrayed their trust. Now I'm not saying what Fairburn did was to that level or even wrong necessarily, but I can see McDermott feeling like it was the same type of breach of trust. People in the NFL are ultra-competitive people. I can understand getting upset if you think someone is giving away your secrets after you've invited them into your house. 

This "story" doesn't change my positive image of McDermott in the least.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, folz said:

First of all, we all know that McDermott is a "control freak" to a certain extent. He'd probably admit that himself. So no news there. I bet there aren't too many head coaches in the NFL who weren't. You don't get to that position (or at least you don't succeed at that position) without trying to control every detail of your operation. There are so many coaches who fail, not because they don't know their Xs and Os,, but because they can't juggle all of the tasks of a head coach. You need someone who is a bit of a detail-oriented, control freak. 

Secondly, to take one incident and try to portray that as who the person "really" is, is so disingenuous. Like we have had a completely false picture of McDermott this whole time, and he's actually a douche, as one poster ranted. Does one outburst or moment where he may have lost his cool (for good reasons or not) erase all of the other moments of this man's life? The fact that his players love him, that he's respectful to everyone in the building, all the way down to the food servers and janitors? That he's always good with fans, that he is a good family man, etc., etc. Ridiculous. And for anyone to compare it to Marrone seems wrong too. There were so many rumors and stories of Marrone being disrespectful to players, media, and people in the building, and he was never really warm with fans either. That has not been the case with McDermott at all. In this day and age of social media, if people were really disgruntled or McDermott was really a dick, it would slip out here and there from players or staff...just look at the Jets this year. But, when you listen to the players talk about McDermott, it is always with a lot of positive emotion. There is no way they are all that good of actors to be faking it. And to portray the reason we don't know about it as being Terry Pegula has every single person in the organization and the media lying and hiding things is so over the top. I'm not saying they don't try to manage the image of the team and organization, every company (and person for that matter) does to a certain extent. It's called public relations and people get paid a lot of money to do so. But to make it seem as if Terry is controlling the media, etc. like a mob boss or dictator, just sounds like sour grapes to me from Sullivan. No offense, but that guy should have been off the Bills beat many, many years before he was finally let go.

Third, I think there are some great journalists across the different fields of journalism, including sports coverage. But let's not kid ourselves, there are some bad ones too and there are some with huge egos themselves (so it is funny to me when they call out someone they are reporting on as being a huge ego). And some of them act like they are uncovering Watergate. It's a game. It's sports. It's entertainment. They're not saving the world or stopping rings of corruption here. I am constantly annoyed by questions at pressers. Some can't even form a coherent question. Some ask ridiculous questions. Some ask things that really aren't nice. Some ask things trying to prove an angle that they wrote about to prove they're right. The same question gets repeated over and over because I want my own sound bite directed at me. I can understand coaches and players getting annoyed with those types of bad reporters at times. (I'm not saying Fairburn is one of those bad reporters, honestly I don't know enough about him to say one way or the other.)

If the incident is true as reported, then I'm not saying maybe McDermott should have handled it differently, but I'm trying to think why Fairburn would even report that they were practicing fake punts. What does that really bring to your readers or listeners? First of all, maybe they practice that every week, but usually during the nonmedia portion of practice, in which case it is not news. Or maybe it is for this week specifically, in which case, you are giving a disadvantage to the team you report on and want access from. So, why even report it? No one really cares about that information, except the opposing team of course. It seems more to me like a young reporter trying to find something else others aren't reporting on, so he had something different to say or write, in the hopes of more clicks/readers/listeners. They have to understand that their audience is almost all Bills fans. We don't really want you reporting things that could be detrimental to the team, if it isn't something that needs to be reported (meaning a bigger story of more import, you know, a real news item). Let's say a reporter is in the locker room and a player has left their playbook open on a bench. Should that reporter read that and then publish a story talking about what's in the playbook? It may be interesting, but I'd rather that not be in the press to create any disadvantage for the team. And I would completely understand anyone in the organization being upset about that and feeling as if that reporter had betrayed their trust. Now I'm not saying what Fairburn did was to that level or even wrong necessarily, but I can see McDermott feeling like it was the same type of breach of trust. People in the NFL are ultra-competitive people. I can understand getting upset if you think someone is giving away your secrets after you've invited them into your house. 

This "story" doesn't change my positive image of McDermott in the least.

taxi-driver.gif

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

I miss Sully's candor. I couldn't care less what others think about him. He tells it like it is. Sorry if you get buthurt about it. It's not Sully's fault if you can't handle the truth.

That's Sarcasm, right?

(Two Ts.  Butt has two ts, so butthurt does too.)

3 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Yeah. I guess I'm in the minority, but I don't want a "nice" coach. 

Not the most flattering portrait of McD, but I'm not bothered.

I don't want a "nice" coach, but I want him to pick his battles and focus his energies on what he can control within his organization.

7 hours ago, vincec said:

The context was in the overall discussion of how the media has been pressured by the Pegulas to suppress any negative reporting on the team.

Fairburn first reported than McDermott was unhappy that word had leaked that the Bills posted quotes from Pat Shurmer about Josh Allen around the facility the week before they played the Giants, and then when reporting on an open practice, he noted that the team was practicing fake punts. This apparently pushed McDermott over the edge and he unleashed on the Fairburn like he stole something. He asked him if he was "on the team or not", as you mention above, while berating him.

Sullivan noted that the media is so cowed that after this happened, not only did they not call McDermott out or ask for an apology , they didn't even report it.

And people care about this why?

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

I miss Sully's candor. I couldn't care less what others think about him. He tells it like it is. Sorry if you get buthurt about it. It's not Sully's fault if you can't handle the truth.

This is awful analysis. 

Was good for a laugh at least

3 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Except it is a privilege to have access to the team. Whether it be in the locker room, practice, on the field. It can be revoked at any time... therefore it is indeed a privilege. 

Let me change my analogy to another entertainment business... are reporters given access to the filming of movies? Behind the scenes? Are they allowed to go out and tell the general public everything that happens in the movie and spoil the details before the movie is released? 

Except it's really not.  NFL teams really don't have the option of keeping reporters out of the locker room and practice facility, much as some coaches would like to.  Reporters who are there aren't there because they're privileged; they're there because they are doing their jobs.

I don't know much about how Hollywood operates, but if you think studios don't give tons of access to reporters and publicists, you're badly mistaken.  Letting them run around the set is another matter, but then again, local reporters aren't running around the field during NFL games, either.  We're talking about access to players and coaches before and after--not during---games.    

5 hours ago, mannc said:

And of course, most Fortune 500 companies aren’t in the entertainment business and wouldn’t benefit in any way by providing reporters broad access to their boardrooms and headquarters, so they don’t do it.  Terrible analogy.

Not boardrooms or headquarters, but a couple different Fortune 500 companies I've been involved with have had PR events where media were invited to tour facilities.

The reporters had to sign a confidentiality agreement AND the employees were given clear instructions what to put away or cover up.

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Not boardrooms or headquarters, but a couple different Fortune 500 companies I've been involved with have had PR events where media were invited to tour facilities.

The reporters had to sign a confidentiality agreement AND the employees were given clear instructions what to put away or cover up.

Thanks! I’m the idiot though... it was a bad analogy.

18 minutes ago, mannc said:

Except it's really not.  NFL teams really don't have the option of keeping reporters out of the locker room and practice facility, much as some coaches would like to.  Reporters who are there aren't there because they're privileged; they're there because they are doing their jobs.

I don't know much about how Hollywood operates, but if you think studios don't give tons of access to reporters and publicists, you're badly mistaken.  Letting them run around the set is another matter, but then again, local reporters aren't running around the field during NFL games, either.  We're talking about access to players and coaches before and after--not during---games.    

I’m aware of how it all works... I work with players and have an office in the locker room during the season. 

The team can deny credentials or revoke them... I’m pretty sure people were all up in arms about the Bills failing to give the guy from Cover 2 a press pass. Privilege...

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Thanks! I’m the idiot though... it was a bad analogy.

We're all there sometimes...and it pales before the depth of bad take drawing a parallel between the Bills/Pegulas and the Stazi.  SMH....

6 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

I’m aware of how it all works... I work with players and have an office in the locker room during the season. 

The team can deny credentials or revoke them... I’m pretty sure people were all up in arms about the Bills failing to give the guy from Cover 2 a press pass. Privilege...

Cover1? 

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We're all there sometimes...and it pales before the depth of bad take drawing a parallel between the Bills/Pegulas and the Stazi.  SMH....

Cover1? 

Yes, Cover1. Thanks for catching that... I knew I screwed something up there! haha