Jerry Sullivan on our podcast: Anecdote about McDermott

gomper

I like McDermott. I think he has a hard job and he does it well. Not perfect but improving in many ways.  I think he can get better and improve the team.  I could not care less what the media thinks about him.  He just needs to be decent and moral and win.  

Jerry on the other hand, well I do not think his job is nearly as hard, and it’s not even important.  Jerry is not important and I do not value his opinion, so I don’t read his stuff or listen to him.  

My respect for the media is at an all time low.  They are entertainment, they are not some special service of educated insiders looking out for our interests.  No matter if it’s sports, world news, politics, even some local news,  its pretty much a business - with sponsors - all bought and paid for.  

• Like (+1) 7

5 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Sure, McDermott recently acted like a giant douche bag to a youngish reporter, getting in his face in an attempt at physical intimidation, dropping F bombs like nuts on him, and asking him "Are you on the team or not?!" 

This was at a press conference.  Presumably because McDouche didn't like a question or two, and apparently actually thinks the media is supposed to bolster the team as though it is part of the Bills P/R department.

Not many people heard about this because Pegula controls the media in WNY now either directly or indirectly. 

Quite an interesting little story.

McDouche = psycho

Combining the coach’s last name and the word douche!!!!!!   You my friend are some kind of wizard!  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

48 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I wouldn’t *ever* blame the ST coach for missed kicks (Browns game). The blocking and snap were fine. That’s totally on the kicker. 

I understand your POV, but I don't exclude the possibility that there might be something that could be done, that would help the kicker feel more "mentally and physically" up for the game.

If you're talking about the blame in the Podcast, it was blaming the ST coach for the blocked punt in the NE game, and I agree that's coaching.  The Bills put something down on tape in previous games where they failed to adjust to what the coverage team was doing, and NE saw it and took advantage.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Estro said:

Nice podcast.....I listened to the whole interview and found it to be very interesting. I remember hearing about the McDermott dust up with Schopp last season, but I never heard the story with Fairburn from this season.  For someone (McDermott) who tries to portray himself as such a good/decent person, I've noticed there's a lot of behind the scenes stories about him that paint a different picture.  It's strange.  Winning will be the ultimate measuring stick for him, but if things ever go south for him I'd expect we'll hear a lot more of these strange incidences people have had with him.

Yeah. I guess I'm in the minority, but I don't want a "nice" coach. 

Not the most flattering portrait of McD, but I'm not bothered.

4 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Again don’t care about Jerry and I hate it when people try to hype their own podcasts/websites.

Get that out of here.

I think it should be bannable and an auto lock.  Per COC:

Do NOT post: Advertisements (We sell ad space to anyone who wants to get their website noticed).

To me this is the OP that admits to running/investing in SoundCloud and is just trying to get clicks to his site for a waste of time podcast.   Plus it is the second time he has posted the thread.

Post what you want to discuss, but he wants the clicks only.

If there is something relevant for discussion - it would be different, but Jerry is a lying douche that is anti-Bills - so go away Jerry and take your crap with you.

Calm down RochesterFan. The guy only reposted it because the mods asked him to with the changes. 

I don't see anything wrong with trying to promote your own podcast, as long as it has relevant topics to this board. Which, it does. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

Calm down RochesterFan. The guy only reposted it because the mods asked him to with the changes. 

I don't see anything wrong with trying to promote your own podcast, as long as it has relevant topics to this board. Which, it does. 

There's stuff we have to stomp on, like posting a link to the guy's own podcast that appeared to be 100% about the media and 0% football related

If it's a regular thing and there's not more participation in the board other than coming in here to post the links to his podcast, I think @SDS will consider it advertising

But that's just my opinion.

The guy was polite and addressed what I asked him to address, so it flies this time.

• Like (+1) 2

I havent heard the audio clip with Jerry Sullivan yet. At first instinct I think to myself that maybe mcdermott is not as honest and accountable for things as he seems to make himself be, 'team first message' for example.. I'm presuming it's about controlling a message that is coming out of OBD. 

When I think about it though, does a coach have to be a nice person and not be a control freak?  Belichek is a 'control freak'. It all matters if you deliver and the team is motivated and delivers. Like another poster says alot of it comes down to winning really. 

Sullivan is a glass half empty kind of guy who can make fair points but is skeptical by nature. Mcdermott has a winning record as a coach. Doug Marrone was not liked but was a decent coach for the bills, someone made a point about what makes a good coach and it was a point against marrone at the time.. As an offensive coach his offence were poor. Mcdermott as a defensive coach has put great defences on the field consistently since being here. That and the winning are what matters. 

The 'history of poor decision making' comment from mcdermott a few weeks ago was an example of McDermott/Beane controlling the narrative out of OBD.

A very intentional thing to say. 

Edited by london_bills

1 hour ago, mannc said:

I was with you until this part.  It’s just not true, and the Fortune 500 analogy is weak.

The Bills, like all NFL teams, are in the entertainment business.  Reporters are allowed in the locker room and coaches give press conferences because fans want information about the team and providing them that information is part of the teams’ and the league’s mission:  to increase fan interest in the team and the sport in general, which increases ratings, which increases revenue, etc.  It’s not complicated. So no, it’s not really a privilege for a reporter to have access to the locker room; it’s part of a symbiotic relationship—a quid pro quo, if you will—between teams and the media and the team’s fans.  

And of course, most Fortune 500 companies aren’t in the entertainment business and wouldn’t benefit in any way by providing reporters broad access to their boardrooms and headquarters, so they don’t do it.  Terrible analogy.

Except it is a privilege to have access to the team. Whether it be in the locker room, practice, on the field. It can be revoked at any time... therefore it is indeed a privilege. 

Let me change my analogy to another entertainment business... are reporters given access to the filming of movies? Behind the scenes? Are they allowed to go out and tell the general public everything that happens in the movie and spoil the details before the movie is released? 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There's stuff we have to stomp on, like posting a link to the guy's own podcast that appeared to be 100% about the media and 0% football related

If it's a regular thing and there's not more participation in the board other than coming in here to post the links to his podcast, I think @SDS will consider it advertising

But that's just my opinion.

The guy was polite and addressed what I asked him to address, so it flies this time.

Right. I didn't listen to the first 25 minutes, so I thank you for making him point out the part that is relevant. 

I found what Jerry Sullivan said to be very interesting, but also laughable. Especially his take on Oliver. It's like, the guy isn't an All-Pro in his first year, so he must be a bust. 

4 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

In the cyber age, "professional" media people are becoming irrelevant. The Bills are a young team learning how to win. If McD were to give Sully a wedgey that sent him to the emergency room, I wouldn't care. Just win baby!

I believe that would be called "assault" and might result in suspension from the league not to mention criminal charges.  Thus, I would care.

5 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

This happened.  That is beyond questioning.

It happened in a large room filled with people and Sullivan confirmed it with multiple sources, b/c he is, you know, an actual journalist.

I felt the same about you and your comment! 

Believe it or not, you are free to not participate in threads you aren't interested in, or which you have a personal dislike for.

See how it works?

The thread is fine, a lot of us are just getting tired of your schtick

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

What coach isnt a control freak. However its clear to see that he is flexible and listens to everyone involved and makes the necessary changes.

Sullivan is a tool and is mike Dopp 's dad.

Sullivan is a DULL, broken, out-dated tool

44 minutes ago, london_bills said:

Sullivan is a glass half empty kind of guy who can make fair points but is skeptical by nature. Mcdermott has a winning record as a coach. Doug Marrone was not liked but was a decent coach for the bills, someone made a point about what makes a good coach and it was a point against marrone at the time.. As an offensive coach his offence were poor. Mcdermott as a defensive coach has put great defences on the field consistently since being here. That and the winning are what matters. 

Sullivan is a guy who replaces glass with dribble glass. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again... Sean McDermott has thin skin. He's a sensitive guy who can be swayed by what people think. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's different for an NFL coach.

Hm.

I don't know if I see him being that thin skinned/sensitive myself. I think if he was he would make more reactive decisions. He is emotional yes by his own admission I think he said he was. 

The swayed by what people think thing aswell, I'm not sure. In game you mean? 

Alot of this perception to me depends on how unemotional one answers questions in a press conference although I'm sure your basing your opinion on more. 

Edited by london_bills