Jerry Sullivan on our podcast: Anecdote about McDermott

gomper

5 minutes ago, Ga boy said:

Yes, I agree that we're all complicated.  I can see certain leaders acting this way without mentioning recent leadership at OBD.  However, I expect better from this guy based on the perception that he gives about his faith and beliefs.  I prefer the leadership frameworks of John Maxwell and Stephen Covey that emphasize a higher standard based on how we treat people.  I hope intimidation is not a usual strategy for our coach in any part of his job or life.  It is easy for many leaders at the top, due to pressures and ego, to lose sight that the janitor is just as important as they are.  Go Bills!!

I agree, on face value I would expect better.

But, for several reasons (some intrinsic to the piece) I also can't accept the story at face value exactly as told.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, gomper said:

It's sarcasm. C'mon in. 

Gomper, I don't think sarcasm is a correct descriptor for what that is.  It's an analogy, using hyperbole to emphasize the intended point.

The problem is the hyperbole is so over the top exaggerated that it actually detracts from the credibility of the actual account.

I hear it and I think, "if those guys believe that comparison to actual totalitarian state's secret police force is an apt analogy for treatment of the media by the Pegulas and the Bills FO, that is just so obviously exaggerated that I have to consider any story they tell might be equally subject to exaggeration"

Edit: oldmanfan said something less polite, but more concise

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Am I just supposed to believe that this happened and wasn't reported by anyone? If an NFL head coach was physically confronting and screaming f-bombs at a beat reporter it would be major news. But all the reporters who witnessed it didn't say anything because the Pegulas asked them not to? And Jerry Sullivan goes and reports it on a fan podcast, but nowhere else? Does anyone else think that narrative adds up?

I agree.  Probably something happened but I think good ole Jerry embellished it a lot.

I generally appreciate Sullivan for coming at stories from other angles.  I can read and decide the merit.  I’m better off because he wrote and I read.

In this case, I’m surprised only that Sullivan expresses surprise at this event. Every NFL head coach is control freak.  Every business has emotional interactions in the “are you with us or against us” context at the most senior levels.  Did it bleed over into the press, in this particular situation?  The press, where everyone’s an independent seeker of great truths and beyond reproach?  Yes, Jerry, it did.   Did a former wrestler and alpha male in a universe of alpha males swell his chest and lean in?   Yes, Jerry, he did.   Yawn .... pass the chips.  Can’t be his first movie ....

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

Absolutely.  IMO it has at least cost us a game against the Pats.  Some people don't agree because "the offense sucks," but the blocked punt had a direct result on losing the game.  Our offense scored more points than their offense.

Arguably played a role in costing us the Brownies game too.  Giving them a pass for the 50+ yarder at the end of the game, if Haushka hits the 34 yarder before the half, we go into the half with the lead.  Momentum shift when he missed it, and maybe we would come out a bit chippier in the 3Q if he makes it. 

I preach myself "if one play is different, the whole game is different" but it's hard to overlook it would be a difference in our favor.

• Like (+1) 1

If  acute attention to detail makes McDermott a "control freak" so be it. He is the captain and until that changes he has the right to be particular and demanding. I think his coaching style is fantastic. He demands accountability and structure. Two vital components to a successful organization.

2 hours ago, Doc said:

If you're surprised by this, you'll be surprised to learn that most of the people you see on TV who you think are nice are some of the biggest #######s you'll ever meet. 

After working 20 years in entertainment I can verify this. ?. Additionally, the ones that aren’t ego bound but unapologetically exceptionally good people surprise you.... Rarely who you think it will be. ?‍♂️

• Like (+1) 2

Was bored so I listened to it.  So Fairburn revealed that the Bills put the Giants' HC's comments about Josh around the facility as motivation and McD got pissed at him for it?  ...And?  If there was a Bills gameplan that was open, would Fairburn post it online because "hes' a reporter"?  Some things you keep in-house, otherwise you'll be out-house.

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

This is the Bills place of work... the media has the PRIVILEGE of being able to observe. You don’t see reporters walking around an office complex and sitting in on shareholders meetings reporting on a Fortune 500 companies upcoming plans, financials, hires/fires.    

I was with you until this part.  It’s just not true, and the Fortune 500 analogy is weak.

The Bills, like all NFL teams, are in the entertainment business.  Reporters are allowed in the locker room and coaches give press conferences because fans want information about the team and providing them that information is part of the teams’ and the league’s mission:  to increase fan interest in the team and the sport in general, which increases ratings, which increases revenue, etc.  It’s not complicated. So no, it’s not really a privilege for a reporter to have access to the locker room; it’s part of a symbiotic relationship—a quid pro quo, if you will—between teams and the media and the team’s fans.  

And of course, most Fortune 500 companies aren’t in the entertainment business and wouldn’t benefit in any way by providing reporters broad access to their boardrooms and headquarters, so they don’t do it.  Terrible analogy.

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

Good, sounds like Coach will not tolerate the press leaking his plans on any level, and for the team that is a very good thing.

Think about it, how the hell else is this organization in real life going to turn around the culture of losing to a culture of winning? The first thing you do is control the message 100%, then and only then can the narrative be changed, along with attitudes. When that is under control, you change out players, management, and coaches that won’t buy in.

Then the team rebuild can actually start to happen, then you maintain and iron grip on the narrative there after. SM is doing it right. Don’t care if coach jerks a knot in some sports reporters asz, so be it. I want the Bills organization to be a winner. Jmo. 

Go Bills!!!

Sullivan praises Belichick for the same behavior in keeping things under tight control.  Sullivan isn't happy unless he pulls at the silver lining of every cloud.  If you were drowning, he'd throw you an anchor.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Neo said:

I generally appreciate Sullivan for coming at stories from other angles.  I can read and decide the merit.  I’m better off because he wrote and I read.

In this case, I’m surprised only that Sullivan expresses surprise at this event. Every NFL head coach is control freak.  Every business has emotional interactions in the “are you with us or against us” context at the most senior levels.  Did it bleed over into the press, in this particular situation?  The press, where everyone’s an independent seeker of great truths and beyond reproach?  Yes, Jerry, it did.   Did a former wrestler and alpha male in a universe of alpha males swell his chest and lean in?   Yes, Jerry, he did.   Yawn .... pass the chips.  Can’t be his first movie ....

And there you have it. My take-away is the snide, whiny way Sullivan presents himself. My Bills fandom aside, this is a guy I would never choose to have a beer with or in this case, listen to.

Edited by RochesterLifer

51 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't like the implied insults to folks here, but I agree the analogy is entirely inappropriate.

Here’s an East Germany tie-in.  Fairburn is the author.

https://theathletic.com/1398440/2019/11/21/pure-gold-a-meeting-of-the-minds-between-the-bills-trent-murphy-and-his-idol-wolfgang-schmidt/?amp#click=https://t.co/5se9BH6Fng

Edited by KellyToTasker

2 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

You know lastin, can I call you lastin?  You know lastin, your post makes me believe that you do not enjoy Bills victories and you relish Bills defeats because they allow you to puff yourself up and pound your chest whilst wheezing "I told you so!"

Am I close?

I DO NOT, ABSOLUTELY DO NOT WANT TO SAY THAT! 

I have witnessed live and in person, over say a 6 year period of Season Ticket holding a Bills team that went from Good- Excellent- Playing in 4 straight Roman Numerals. In their best middle Season of that run, I never believed they would lose ANY game! That’s how great that K-Gun team was! So far ahead of its time.

I have been watching the reverse through virtually this entire millennium. Sub standard players, abysmal & conservative HCs, GMs that were waaaay over the hills stiffs, because the owner was familiar only- with a Septuagenarian. ? And oh, could they find ways to lose & did.

So, I’m overtly cautious about this puffball Schedule of All Time. And indeed, prior versions couldn’t have even done what this team has already. Does that however, make them, a good team, one where I can name a half dozen this year and there would be virtually 100% agreement?

Should they win this week and fall on their sword against the next 4, easily better teams, to finish 9-7, do you think that is ‘progress’? We’ll find out about the QB for sure- which we need to.

The bar needs to be higher here, as in... you’re damn right we’re making the Playoffs every year and winning Playoff games. We are certain of neither, yet. 

Btw, the only thing I have nailed so far is my pre season prediction on EVERY game, with a 10-6 finish. So, I did not expect- this year, the Bills to fall flat.

I do have them winning tomorrow.

• Like (+1) 1