Seantrel Henderson - OT depth? (Update - visiting Bills)

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

But at the same time it’s estimated that 87% of the players use it regularly. I hang out with, or used to hang out with, about 5 guys that played. Every single one of them uses it (not always like some). They said that well over half of the locker room uses it regularly. If you get caught normally, it’s because you are an idiot. Henderson is a bit of a weird case. He didn’t hide it because he said that was all that helped with Crohn’s. The rest of the leagues look the other way. As always, the NFL is the last guy to sit at the table. It does then ZERO good to fight it at this point. It will be gone in the next CBA for sure. 

The point being, marijuana use is about reason 3,654,754,357 that you wouldn’t want a player. 

87% Eh?

Did you know 78.674% of people can make up statistics?

On 11/18/2019 at 4:29 PM, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I believe so is Terrance Pennington. 

Buddy? 

He doesn’t smoke weed, so Kirby doesn’t want him ?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Haha maybe.  I’m also anti-opioid.  I just don’t want a player who puts weed above football as Seantrel has done SEVERAL times throughout it his life.

But are you okay with the COUNTLESS players (and coaches Sean Payton) that put the far more dangerous option first? 

87% Eh?

Did you know 78.674% of people can make up statistics?

It’s closer to 90% according to some players. From my knowledge that’s closer. there is just no danger. You get tested in the offseason and then again, with notice, if I understand it correctly. It’s really an idiot test. Alcohol, nicotine, opioids, etc.. are infinitely more dangerous. Regardless, it all be gone soon.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/martellus-bennett-estimates-that-nearly-90-percent-of-nfl-players-smoke-marijuana/amp/

Just now, Phil The Thrill said:

Dangerous options such as?????

The painkillers that they pop like candy (hydrocodone, icy, etc..). 

On 11/18/2019 at 7:45 PM, Mr. WEO said:

He didn't get a raw deal.. He chose to use a banned substance.  This has been discussed ad nauseam.  He made his choice.  The outcome was inevitable.

It’s already been debated heavily among national commentators that medicinal weed is likely to be unbanned since it is now legal when a doctor prescribes it in a ton of states. Also it’s likely to be unbanned at the next CBA. You can’t have society make it legal and then your employer suspend you for it. They aren’t driving heavy machinery !!!! 

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s closer to 90% according to some players. From my knowledge that’s closer. there is just no danger. You get tested in the offseason and then again, with notice, if I understand it correctly. It’s really an idiot test. Alcohol, nicotine, opioids, etc.. are infinitely more dangerous. Regardless, it all be gone soon.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/martellus-bennett-estimates-that-nearly-90-percent-of-nfl-players-smoke-marijuana/amp/

The painkillers that they pop like candy (hydrocodone, icy, etc..). 

Your “knowledge” also said that Doug Whaley chose the XFL over NFL.  Uh huh.  It’s probably closer to 98%

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

A player, check.

A player in the drug testing program due to repeat offenses, that's something a team has to consider.

Oh absolutely but not because he uses weed. It’s because he could be suspended because of the league’s antiquated approach to it. There are 9 states left (I think) where it’s totally illegal. It’s going away. The risk is, if he fails another test he’s suspended. If he fails a test, you cut him. Problem solved

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Locomark said:

It’s already been debated heavily among national commentators that medicinal weed is likely to be unbanned since it is now legal when a doctor prescribes it in a ton of states. Also it’s likely to be unbanned at the next CBA. You can’t have society make it legal and then your employer suspend you for it. They aren’t driving heavy machinery !!!! 

Until the next CBA is agreed upon, I wouldn’t sign Seantrel 

Your “knowledge” also said that Doug Whaley chose the XFL over NFL.  Uh huh.  It’s probably closer to 98%

I’m not trying to be “that guy” but bringing my credibility into question on this board is a weird play. I have proven to be credible on multiple occasions and it’s documented on here.

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

Oh absolutely but not because he uses weed. It’s because he could be suspended because of the league’s antiquated approach to it. There are 9 states left (I think) where it’s totally illegal. It’s going away. The risk is, if he fails another test he’s suspended. If he fails a test, you cut him. Problem solved

That was my whole point...yet you turned this into a whole “your an anti weed guy” debate.

2 minutes ago, Locomark said:

Technically you can...employers can choose to ban certain things, they do it all the time. Not many employers allow you to drink alcohol at work and that is legal.

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

What’s the risk of signing him now? It’s not going to be some big $ gtd contract. If he gets suspended, then cut him or whatever 

I guess...it’s just tough to rely on someone who’s on the bubble.  But at this point, I’d be on board 

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Well, you cut him with no money if he fails a test. There’s NO risk

Ok I would be fine with this then.  Just can rely on him 

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

Technically you can...employers can choose to ban certain things, they do it all the time. Not many employers allow you to drink alcohol at work and that is legal.

That’s different! Players aren’t using the substance at work. Your work can’t tell you not to drink at home on the weekend, can they????

I guess...it’s just tough to rely on someone who’s on the bubble.  But at this point, I’d be on board 

I think he would be pure depth. Hopefully Ford isn’t so bad that they need to him to start and are relying on him for anything more than having to back up the OTs. 

• Like (+1) 1

Im bringing it into question.  I don’t buy either of those claims

Well, that’s up to you I guess. I don’t need to justify my info any longer as it has been proven true over and over. If you feel better doubting me, go for it.

3 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Ok I would be fine with this then.  Just can rely on him 

No one is trusting him. He’s a low risk, week 12 addition. He’s quality depth that you can add (and cut) with no risk. He cheap insurance. That’s been the point the whole time.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Well, that’s up to you I guess. I don’t need to justify my info any longer as it has been proven true over and over. If you feel better doubting me, go for it.

No one is trusting him. He’s a low risk, week 12 addition. He’s quality depth that you can add (and cut) with no risk. He cheap insurance. That’s been the point the whole time.

I guess it’s worth a shot then, given the options at this point in the year 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

He’d be the perfect reserve OT at this point with Nsekhe out. He’s played LT and RT and has started 29 games. He can do either in a pinch and lends some much needed depth. He’s not a great player but he’s probably a 3rd tackle on most teams. The fact that he can play either side makes him slightly more valuable. 

Also, we dress some guys like Perry to do nothing but play ST and our ST stink. You can just slide someone else into that role and get the same level of performance. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 3

This argument is so silly. If you’ve never been through chronic pain, you don’t know what you’re talking about. In addition, ALL players go through ongoing pain during the season. 

Seantrel went through a debilitating disease and handled it the best he could. All other arguments are simply silly. If his chromes is in check, he should be looked at. 

19 minutes ago, Kiva said:

Old post. Regardless, off the top of my head;

Brian Mihalik,

Sam Young,

Austin Pasztor

would all be improvements

What happened to Caleb Benenoch and Corey Robinson, weren't they on your list earlier? 

Maybe I was seeing things.

Bills had Mihalik and Young in on Tues and must not have been too impressed.   Same with Benenoch and Robinson.

Haven't heard anything of them looking at Austin Pasztor, but he hasn't started anywhere and has played a grand total of 4 offensive snaps since 2016, so not sure what the criteria might be for thinking he's an improvement

27 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

The main question I have about Henderson is why Houston cut him

They put him on reserve/Non Football Injury in mid-October, said to be with a back injury.  A bit of a strange thing since usually a back injury during the season would be a football injury.

36 minutes ago, Locomark said:

That’s different! Players aren’t using the substance at work. Your work can’t tell you not to drink at home on the weekend, can they????

Maybe...you can be fired for any reason or no reason, just not an illegal reason.

It's not illegal to tell someone not to drink on the weekends.

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What happened to Caleb Benenoch and Corey Robinson, weren't they on your list earlier? 

Maybe I was seeing things.

Bills had Mihalik and Young in on Tues and must not have been too impressed.   Same with Benenoch and Robinson.

Haven't heard anything of them looking at Austin Pasztor, but he hasn't started anywhere and has played a grand total of 4 offensive snaps since 2016, so not sure what the criteria might be for thinking he's an improvement

The main question I have about Henderson is why Houston cut him

They put him on reserve/Non Football Injury in mid-October, said to be with a back injury.  A bit of a strange thing since usually a back injury during the season would be a football injury.

They actually did bring in Pascztor for a workout this week too

im going to assume Brian Gaine knows everything about the Henderson situation in Houston, whatever it may be

• Like (+1) 1

I did a PSA for an organization called the Gridiron Cannabis Coalition a few years ago, and had a pretty lengthy conversation with former Phins RB Ricky Williams. He's quite the activist in that regard. He knew Seantrel personally, and knew a lot about his situation when he was really suffering with the Crohn's Disease. He said the choice for him, at the time, was either the weed, or literally a handful of pills a day. 

From what I understand, he worked incredibly hard to get himself back into shape after some really brutal surgery that included re-attaching his colon to his rectum, which resulted in him losing 35-40 lbs of muscle. He was a pretty decent RT before the Crohn's sidelined him, and if he's in decent shape, I'd say this is a high-character guy that we'd be happy to have as depth.

Edited by Rocky Landing
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I did a PSA for an organization called the Gridiron Cannabis Coalition a few years ago, and had a pretty lengthy conversation with former Phins RB Ricky Williams. He's quite the activist in that regard. He knew Seantrel personally, and knew a lot about his situation when he was really suffering with the Crohn's Disease. He said the choice for him, at the time, was either the weed, or literally a handful of pills a day. 

From what I understand, he worked incredibly hard to get himself back into shape after some really brutal surgery that included re-attaching his colon to his rectum, which resulted in him losing 35-40 lbs of muscle. He was a pretty decent RT before the Crohn's sidelined him, and if he's in decent shape, I'd say this is a high-character guy that we'd be happy to have as depth.

This has been discussed in the thread.  ThT narrative about Seantrel is a cop out.  Why didn’t Seantrel follow the proper protocol and notify the NFL that he was prescribed medical marijuana? 

10 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

This has been discussed in the thread.  ThT narrative about Seantrel is a cop out.  Why didn’t Seantrel follow the proper protocol and notify the NFL that he was prescribed medical marijuana? 

Probably because it wouldn't have mattered...the NFL doesn't care. It's banned.

58 minutes ago, Locomark said:

It will surprise you that employers absolutely can do just that.  Only a dozen states prohibit employers from discriminating against employees who test positive even if using medically off duty.

Most states allow employers to have a zero tolerance for off-duty use.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It will surprise you that employers absolutely can do just that.  Only a dozen states prohibit employers from discriminating against employees who test positive even if using medically off duty.

Most states allow employers to have a zero tolerance for off-duty use.

It’s a weird place in the insurance world at this point too. Honestly, I think that the “how do we control it” question is what’s delaying a more widespread legalization. How much is okay to drive with? What about hiring? How do we tax it? How do we regulate that it’s pure? There are a lot more questions than answers.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s a weird place in the insurance world at this point too. Honestly, I think that the “how do we control it” question is what’s delaying a more widespread legalization. How much is okay to drive with? What about hiring? How do we tax it? How do we regulate that it’s pure? There are a lot more questions than answers.

Taxing part is easy LOL--lawmakers always figure that out quickly.

The purity issue would regulate itself, as does alcohol and tobacco--by the companies that want to sell it. 

Driving will always be a zero tolerance scenario--that's easy.  Same as for opioids and alcohol.

I bet most insurers will simply exclude it because there is no incentive for them to cover it, even if prescribed.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Taxing part is easy LOL--lawmakers always figure that out quickly.

The purity issue would regulate itself, as does alcohol and tobacco--by the companies that want to sell it. 

Driving will always be a zero tolerance scenario--that's easy.  Same as for opioids and alcohol.

I bet most insurers will simply exclude it because there is no incentive for them to cover it, even if prescribed.

Oh I’m sure that they will figure it out, a lot of states already have. Now that you can bank the funds it’s a step in the right direction. It just takes a little time for the red tape. I don’t think that there are too many places left questioning it’s benefits especially when opposed to the alternatives. It’s only a matter of time but there are issues to settle.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Locomark said:

Honestly - many of the players talk about smoking an hour or so before kickoff in the locker room.  So technically several players have admitted to using directly at work.

50 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

If my options are opiods or weed to manage my pain from a crippling disease, I pick weed.  If he applied to the NFL for a medical exemption it would have taken months.  I have zero issue with a guy choosing life over opoids. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Tenhigh said:

If my options are opiods or weed to manage my pain from a crippling disease, I pick weed.  If he applied to the NFL for a medical exemption it would have taken months.  I have zero issue with a guy choosing life over opoids. 

I think it was to help increase his appetite as well, or at least that was part of his reasoning. 

6 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

I was prescribed oxycontin twice in my life. Tried it the 1st time. I ended up trading with my weed dealer. 

• Like (+1) 3

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/11/buffalo-bills-host-seantrel-henderson-on-free-agent-visit-report.html

11 minutes ago, Putin said:

Name one 

That was my reaction too.  He named 3 or 5, all but one of whom the Bills were already reported to have tried out earlier this week.

The one hasn't started a game since 2016, but YOLO said he was actually tried out too.

• Like (+1) 1