Around the League Week 10

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Right, the last quarter of a century. That is very relevant to our 6-3 record in 2019. The Steelers winning a Super Bowl 10 years ago means their 5-4 record is more impressive today.

I love this board after a loss. It lightens the mood.

The best part about this is the following. Either culture matters or it doesnt. If you don't think it matters well that is one of the major pillars of McDermott bs.  If you think it does actually matter then you can't discount what the Steelers have done this year with a backup qb and without a healthy James conner. They've lost more talent in the last 12 months than we have been able to put on the field in 30 years and they keep winning. Against good teams. Will they win the Super Bowl? Probably not, but they will win at least 9 games and they will probably make the playoffs. We will not.

6 minutes ago, wvbillsfan said:

Would’ve been nice if the Rams could’ve pulled that game out. 

Teams that have to rely on the pass to beat the Steelers are in trouble. I’d run it 80 times and wait for Rudolph to mess up. 

Rams are putrid when they have to come East

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Right, the last quarter of a century. That is very relevant to our 6-3 record in 2019. The Steelers winning a Super Bowl 10 years ago means their 5-4 record is more impressive today.

I'm not denigrating Buffalo in a comparison to  the Steelers. But you have to give them accolades for absorbing the loss of players such as Rothlesberg (due to an injury), not signing Bell and dealing off of Antonio Malicious and continuing to be a competitive team. All three of these players were not only the core of their offense but the core of their long term success. 

The unsung person in dealing with adversity and with fractious players is their coach. He has done a good job in handling unusual player challenges and kept the ship floating. He deserves credit for maintain a semblance of order in a very unorderly situation. 

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

I'm not denigrating Buffalo in a comparison to  the Steelers. But you have to give them accolades for absorbing the loss of players such as Rothlesberg (due to an injury), not signing Bell and dealing off of Antonio Malicious and continuing to be a competitive team. All three of these players were not only the core of their offense but the core of their long term success. 

The unsung person in dealing with adversity and with fractious players is their coach. He has done a good job in handling unusual player challenges and kept the ship floating. He deserves credit for maintain a semblance of order in a very unorderly situation. 

As much I don't like the Steelers they have done good job so far considering what they had to deal with. 

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They aren’t going anywhere with Rudolph and Ben is toast. Imo of course 

Maybe not this year, but the future seems to be looking up for the Steelers.  Ben is done and the Steelers would be smart to be done with him and commit to Rudolph.

Anyone see the end of the Miami game?  Fitz driving them down the field takes a big helmet to helmet.  Hops  right up.  Ref tells him he has to leave the field.  He argues with the ref.  He goes to the blue tent. Then immediately escapes the tent to go back in.  They force him back into the tent. (Rosen inserted for 3 straight crappy run plays). He again runs out of the tent to get on the field before they waste 3rd down on another handoff.  They push him to the bench.  Field goal.

i love that man.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

It’s who you play and who you beat! Simple as that.

Winning against all the stiffs is important. Virtually, this entire millennium the Bills could not do this.

But, it has nada to do with whether the team is in the top echelon of the league.

It’s not- even if they stumble on to the 10-6 I predicted, which may get them into the Playoffs. Nothing else.

This thread seems appropriate to make the point: 4-6 games this week did NOT have the outcome one might expect.  In particular we saw two other games where a 1 win team beat a division-leading team with a much better record.

So our loss sucks, but the Saints and Colts feel our pain.

We saw a number of significant upsets (based on W-L record or expectations) this week.  In addition to our own beloved Bills 6-2 letting the 2-6 Browns hang in there and win, we saw 4-5 Tenn beating the 6-3 Chiefs; We saw 1-7 Atlanta spank the 7-1 Saints.  We saw the 1-7 Dolphins beat the 5-3 Colts. And maybe on W/L record it makes sense but I was expecting the division leading 5-3 Cowboys to win over the 6-3 Vikings, but the Vikings hung tough against the Boys final drive.  I was also expecting the defending NFC Champion 5-3 Rams to beat the 4-4 Steelers and Mason Rudolph.

I don't follow betting lines.  Maybe @GoBills808 or @LSHMEAB can weigh on on how Vegas saw these matchups

And on that note I leave you to sleep...perchance to dream...of a complete game from our Bills full of smooth flowing offense on drive after drive.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I heard one of those gambling guy programs (1/2 hour infomercial) yesterday saying that Green Bay is the ‘bet the farm lock’ to cover the point spread.  Well, maybe I will just go $5,000.  ?

Aaaarrrrrgggghhhhh!!!!!!!

OK, everybody be cool!  Not a word!  ?

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This thread seems appropriate to make the point: 4-6 games this week did NOT have the outcome one might expect.  In particular we saw two other games where a 1 win team beat a division-leading team with a much better record.

So our loss sucks, but the Saints and Colts feel our pain.

We saw a number of significant upsets (based on W-L record or expectations) this week.  In addition to our own beloved Bills 6-2 letting the 2-6 Browns hang in there and win, we saw 4-5 Tenn beating the 6-3 Chiefs; We saw 1-7 Atlanta spank the 7-1 Saints.  We saw the 1-7 Dolphins beat the 5-3 Colts. And maybe on W/L record it makes sense but I was expecting the division leading 5-3 Cowboys to win over the 6-3 Vikings, but the Vikings hung tough against the Boys final drive.  I was also expecting the defending NFC Champion 5-3 Rams to beat the 4-4 Steelers and Mason Rudolph.

I don't follow betting lines.  Maybe @GoBills808 or @LSHMEAB can weigh on on how Vegas saw these matchups

And on that note I leave you to sleep...perchance to dream...of a complete game from our Bills full of smooth flowing offense on drive after drive.

Agreed - the bigger surprise to me was 3 different 1-7 teams getting wins.  The Bills/Browns games was seen as a toss-up with the Browns favored and they won.  So despite the records - the favored team won the game- it is not like the falcons beating the saints.

I will take it a step further- everyone here complaining about the Bills and how hot the Steelers and Browns are - will guess what - they have 2 of their next 3 meetings against each other - so if they split as they typically do - they both get an additional loss - plus they both get Baltimore- so if they are as good as people think - both Pittsburgh and Cleveland have a good shot at 2 more losses minimally.

There is still a lot of football left and somehow the Bills get destroyed for losing a close game that they were up in and had their FG kicker miss 2 kicks and a Tre White drop a game winning Int that either he or Poyer should of had, but Pittsburgh is praised for scoring 1 more point and the talk is how the Bills have no chance.  I really do not get some people’s perspective on football.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1