Jerry Hughes - $14 Mil - Why

Socal-805

15 minutes ago, NewEra said:

If you thought he was invisible last season than you either didn’t watch him play last season or I gave you too much credit previously.  

he’s not playing like a 14 mill player this season.  I agree with you in that respect.  Wouldn’t be surprised to see him turn it on and be the player he was last season, which happened to be effective at pressuring the QB (regardless of how you thought he played last season)

The OP is very misinformed about Hughes contract. Since 2015(when he signed the deal he is currently on) his cap hit has averaged 9.5 million. His contract was back loaded where he made 6 and 7.5 million on the cap in the first two years before ballooning to 12.9 million this season. So this 14 million dollar number lacks context. The Bills could have cut Hughes before they extended him for a small dead cap number if Hughes was a big albatross to their free agency plans (give the money they spent I think that his contract was obviously not an impediment.) 

Hughes came off his best year in ages in 2018 and the staff resigned him for a modest 9.5 million cap hit that they can get out of in 2021 with minimal consequences. Is he overpaid at 9.5 million? You can make the argument but I think that's close to his value. 

Edited by billsfan89
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The OP is very misinformed about Hughes contract. Since 2015(when he signed the deal he is currently on) his cap hit has averaged 9.5 million. His contract was back loaded where he made 6 and 7.5 million on the cap in the first two years before ballooning to 12.9 million this season. So this 14 million dollar number lacks context. The Bills could have cut Hughes before they extended him for a small dead cap number if Hughes was a big albatross to their free agency plans (give the money they spent I think that his contract was obviously not an impediment.) 

Hughes came off his best year in ages in 2018 and the staff resigned him for a modest 9.5 million cap hit that they can get out of in 2021 with minimal consequences. Is he overpaid at 9.5 million? You can make the argument but I think that's close to his value. 

Yeah I realize.  I was very happy when we resigned him the first time and extended him most recently.  I wish he had been more productive this season, but I expect him to ball out come playoff time 

Just now, NewEra said:

Yeah I realize.  I was very happy when we resigned him the first time and extended him most recently.  I wish he had been more productive this season, but I expect him to ball out come playoff time 

I thought Rex put him in the wrong situation in 2015 and 2016, his pressures and sacks were way down in both years. In 2017 it was bizarre because he looked like the same player he was in 2014 but he just didn't get sacks, the pressure numbers and the metrics against the run were good but the sack totals were low. 2018 was his best year under his extension. 7 sacks isn't a spectacular sack total however he was the heart of the defense and his pressure numbers were much improved for the second straight year. In 2019 I think he has been closer to that 2017 version, getting pressure but not being nearly as dynamic. 

I think in 2020 he has to fall into a rotational player or at worst the second pass rush option. Murphy has not gotten it done, Shaq is a JAG and there really isn't much else off the edge. Ideally I would still resign Shaq to a moderate deal in the range of 6 million to be a rotational DE, Murphy should be cut outright you can save over 7 million on the cap by cutting him dead money is minimal. I think they need to address the edge rush and D-line as urgently as they addressed the O-line last year. Getting a top DE like Ngakoue, resigning Shaq or getting another rotational player and adding a run stuffing DT is the massive overhaul needed for the defensive line. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Socal-805 said:

I just looked at SPOTRAC for Hughes contract: $14 MIL this year?  I am reading this correctly?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/jerry-hughes-6540/

WHY are the Bills paying Jerry Hughes $14 mil this year?!?  He's basically invisible that I can tell.

• 1. Rams defensive lineman Aaron Donald: $22.5 million
  • 2. Cowboys defensive lineman Demarcus Lawrence: $21 million
  • 3. Chiefs defensive lineman Frank Clark: $20.8 million
  • 4. Lions defensive lineman Trey Flowers: $18 million
  • 5. Saints defensive lineman Cameron Jordan: $17.5 million  
  • 6. 49ers defensive lineman Dee Ford: $17 million 
  • 7. Browns defensive lineman Olivier Vernon: $17 million    
  • 8. Eagles defensive lineman Fletcher Cox: $17 million
  • 9. Falcons defensive lineman Grady Jarrett: $17 million
  • 10. Texans defensive lineman J.J. Watt: $16.7 million

He may be the most overpaid D lineman in the league?

Great!

2 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

I guess that’s the point. Hughes’ value as our only pass rusher got him that extension. It was a contract that made sense at the time. It’s also not cap prohibitive at all. So if it made sense and isn’t cap prohibitive, WHO REALLY GIVES A *****.

Pegs ought to throw everyone an extra million, just because

He won't be around next year. Bills need to be big players in free agency and the draft to get some pressure on the edges. It's really the difference between this defense being great and being elite.

28 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Ought Oh, is Jerry now in the running for perennial TBD whipping boy?  I thought DiMarco had that spot locked up already.

You're comparing the fullback position to an edge rusher. We need a hell of a lot more production out of Jerry.

9 hours ago, Socal-805 said:

I just looked at SPOTRAC for Hughes contract: $14 MIL this year?  I am reading this correctly?

WHY are the Bills paying Jerry Hughes $14 mil this year?!?  He's basically invisible that I can tell.

Could be because he's a great leader, a great team mate, always gets double teamed to open some one else up, always gets pressure up front, & he is very durable not to mention dependable .

Oh and he's not a diva !!! 

9 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He's the only pass rusher on the team. They signed him to a reasonable extension and have plenty of cap room. 

Murphy is the most overpaid pass rusher in the league when you compare contract to production.

Blame Beane for not finding a complimentary pass rusher to Hughes. 

Yep. When you've got junk on the other side, it makes Hughes job much more difficult. Hughes is good, but not great. I don't care what he's getting paid A)because it's not my money and B)cap room is not an issue.

The issue is that they're missing that true difference maker at the position. Beane was most certainly in the market for Clark/Clowney. Didn't work out. I would be shocked if this was not an offseason priority. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Luka said:

He won't be around next year. Bills need to be big players in free agency and the draft to get some pressure on the edges. It's really the difference between this defense being great and being elite.

They really need offense. The defense isn’t elite, but it’s pretty good. Offensively the team is bottom third of the NFL. 

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

Yep. When you've got junk on the other side, it makes Hughes job much more difficult. Hughes is good, but not great. I don't care what he's getting paid A)because it's not my money and B)cap room is not an issue.

The issue is that they're missing that true difference maker at the position. Beane was most certainly in the market for Clark/Clowney. Didn't work out. I would be shocked if this was not an offseason priority. 

You can bet that Beane will revisit the DE position in the off season. We already know he was on the phone several times months ago.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Liberals.  Wants Percentage of Jerry’s income for free stuff

Hmm. Probably 100 percent inaccurate regarding the "type" of folks who complain about player salaries. Oddly enough.

Never understood the obsession, but the struggle is apparently REAL for billionaire owners! 

1 minute ago, Rocket94 said:

You can bet that Beane will revisit the DE position in the off season. We already know he was on the phone several times months ago.

While I was disappointed a deal didn't get done, I was encouraged to see that he recognized an issue and worked to address it. He'll get that done this offseason. Just have to hope one of these guys, whether it be Johnson, Murphy, or even Oliver from the interior steps up in the 2nd half.

35 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Hmm. Probably 100 percent inaccurate regarding the "type" of folks who complain about player salaries. Oddly enough.

Never understood the obsession, but the struggle is apparently REAL for billionaire owners! 

While I was disappointed a deal didn't get done, I was encouraged to see that he recognized an issue and worked to address it. He'll get that done this offseason. Just have to hope one of these guys, whether it be Johnson, Murphy, or even Oliver from the interior steps up in the 2nd half.

Yes...Beane really did make an attempt to bring in quality help, so we have to believe that he will stay on it. Ok, so we made it to 6-2 with this current group. If they can somehow stay focused and make a unified attempt to step it up...we are getting in the playoffs. I do like how McDermott squeezes every ounce of talent from certain players...a stop gap until improved talent arrives via FA and the draft.

Edited by Rocket94
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Mark80 said:

Invisible...not as much as this season.  He was also making 1/2 what he is making this year.

I understand we had money to spend.  I understand it would have been hard to find someone who is better via FA.  But I also understand that he is in no way shape or form a $14M player in my opinion.  Hopefully when it's back down to around $7.5M next year it will be an easier pill to swallow (if we even retain him).

If they held firm at signing him at $7.5m then his agent would have told him he'd get more on the open market and he'd likely be gone.  It's also lower than he was making on the previous contract.  Again, he's graded pretty high on the video analysis that examines his play more holistically.  

14 hours ago, Socal-805 said:

Because that is the amount both sides agreed to 

15 hours ago, Socal-805 said:

Careful, you are about to be attacked by the rose colored glasses fans. You are not allowed to say anything bad about Hughes. However I agree, probably  most overrated player on Bills besides Edmunds. 

15 hours ago, cage said:

I had to say this on the Ed Oliver thread, but will have to repeat on this one.  Please subscribe to The Athletic before complaining about a player and then go check out the All-22 video analysis after each game.  JoeB does a game analysis and then has cumulative grades across all the games.  Jerry Hughes is the #3 ranked player on the team (offense and defense) in this analysis.  Higher than Milano, Poyer, Hyde or Edmunds.  He's 0.01 points behind Tre'Davious White in the grading system.  In this analysis JoeB looks at every play and grades every player on each play.  I think that analysis deserves more weight than our fly-by thoughts from watching on TV or in-person.

Joe B! That's so cute and hilarious. Guy is a hack that does not know his ass from a hole in the ground. 

• Haha (+1) 1