Joe B All-22 from Dolphins game

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Confirms what I saw with my own eyes re Oliver.  We had one poster in the gameday threads declaring him a bust, claiming he wasn’t making any impact - that poster knows nothing about football but that doesn’t stop him from bloviating his opinions here on a daily basis.

Oliver is a good player now and that is as a very raw talent.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him develop on a Geno Atkins type of arc as he learns to get more efficient.   Will be interesting to see if they can keep he and the gifted but oft-knuckleheaded Jordan Phillips together.    Those two have been a handful inside this season.  

3 minutes ago, GG said:

I don't disagree with that, and that's why I'm saying that trading for a WR would be a waste of a draft pick because he still doesn't use them fully.  

Trading for another meh WR would be a waste of draft capital.   Mo Sanu would have done nothing for me for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

But trading for a really good WR who can make plays downfield.......be trusted to catch or defend 50/50 balls.......I think that kind of player would be GREAT for Allen and create better matchups for EVERYONE else.    

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I am so dying to go back and search for The culprit now.

He’s easy to find - he’s been pushing the ridiculous idea that the Bills should’ve taken DK Metcalf AT NINE instead of Oliver.  (They should’ve taken him instead of Ford in the second.)

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Oliver is a good player now and that is as a very raw talent.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him develop on a Geno Atkins type of arc as he learns to get more efficient.   Will be interesting to see if they can keep he and the gifted but oft-knuckleheaded Jordan Phillips together.    Those two have been a handful inside this season.  

Trading for another meh WR would be a waste of draft capital.   Mo Sanu would have done nothing for me for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

But trading for a really good WR who can make plays downfield.......be trusted to catch or defend 50/50 balls.......I think that kind of player would be GREAT for Allen and create better matchups for EVERYONE else.    

Are you going to argue a hypothetical that doesn't exist?

Yes, I would trade a 2nd for DeAndre Hopkins, please.  

6 minutes ago, GG said:

Look closer, McKitteick starts to look back at the 20.  

True.  The only thing I can think is he's looking at the TE (Knox?) while McK is looking back and then he sees McK open but McK is looking downfield.  Josh should have seen him sooner, but McK could have kept looking back for the ball.

34 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Like your confidence and hope your right, I feel the exact same way for the record. 

He needs to find that 4th qtr swagger in full games. He currently has the best 4th quarter QBR in the NFL at like 139 or something silly like that.  Once the Deep balls start dropping late in the year accurately = Look out!

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/josh-allen-leads-nfl-quarterbacks-in-this-category-plus-8-other-noteworthy-numbe

Anything can happen in the playoffs.

Good stuff! Unlike most I am ecstatic that the offense is a methodical controlled machine. Do I want to see JA chucking it all over the field? Absolutely, but we are not there yet. I look forward to the creativity with which the offense converts 3rd downs, resting our defense. The amount of composure and patience it takes to march down the field 1 down at a time is great. Nor am I down on our schedule. the teams we are playing are allowing our offense to gel and grow. Giving our young players not only experience but also allowing them to gain confidence. it is all for the future, but why not us and why not now.....GO BILLS!!!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ngbills said:

Agreed on the play design. I hate plays that our designed to be one read. You watch this develop and its either McK or throw the ball away. Your other guys are just clearing out space. Allen takes too much time to throw so the coverage has time to get over to cover McK. Rather than have your WR on the left side run the slant, if he runs a shallow drag route you may now give Allen a secondary option. 

I hate that too especially in the rz. Normally the rollout one read is a wasted down for us every single time

16 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Allen is doing fine for a young QB.

If they had some playmaking talent around him on offense he wouldn't have to be defended.

Plays like that throw on the run to McKenzie in the end zone.............that is a hopeless throw to a smurf-gadget WR but that could be a TD with a good 6'2" WR with ball skills.

Disagree - he should have thrown that way sooner.  Mckenzie is looking for the ball at the 18 yard line and Allen simply doesn't pull the trigger. That's an easy TD throw he didn't make. Also, you're not an excuse maker! What gives?

16 hours ago, Doc said:

Josh is staring him down for an extra second because McK isn't looking back for the ball.

He starts looking for the ball at around the 18 yard line. What you say isn't true.

Edited by dave mcbride

16 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Disagree - he should have thrown that way sooner.  Mckenzie is looking for the ball at the 18 yard line and Allen simply doesn't pull the trigger. That's an easy TD throw he didn't make. Also, you're not an excuse maker! What gives?

He starts looking for the ball at around the 18 yard line. What you say isn't true.

That seems a bit unfair to me - it has been drilled into Allen's head repeatedly this season NOT to take unnecessary chances or sacks when inside field goal range.  While he's rolling out he seems possible bracket/hi-low coverage on McK and it seems to me he's waiting to make sure the two defenders aren't going to be in a position to cause a turnover.  I've got no issue with that play.

18 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Agreed. Allen left at least a first and goal on the field. At least.

On another note, Lawson was flagged for roughing Fitz for less than what that Miami player gave Allen after he threw the ball on that play. 

4 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

That seems a bit unfair to me - it has been drilled into Allen's head repeatedly this season NOT to take unnecessary chances or sacks when inside field goal range.  While he's rolling out he seems possible bracket/hi-low coverage on McK and it seems to me he's waiting to make sure the two defenders aren't going to be in a position to cause a turnover.  I've got no issue with that play.

I thought Allen played well in the second half. Don't get me wrong. But on that play, there isn't a Dolphins defender within 5 yards of McKenzie between the 15 and 5 yard lines, and it only becomes tight after he passes the 2 yard line. It was a bad play by Allen. It happens. Hopefully next time when presented with the same situation, he'll get rid of it on time. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I'm well aware that Allen makes a lot of bad decisions.........I just have reasonable expectations regarding decision making for a second year QB in a very complicated offense.

We know the formula for elevating a second year QB and the equation doesn't include giving him a bottom quarter of the league receiving corps.   

16 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Absolutely right. 

This is one of the most frustrating things about Allen. He was only drafted on his potential, not his actual on field play. The only real things he seemed good at was deep ball accuracy & throwing on the run.

For whatever reason, he was dead last in the league last year on deep ball accuracy, and that's carried over into this season. But this year it's more noticeable because we see how open some of these guys are, and how the only thing stopping them from an easy TD is ball placement. 

Last year there were some easy TD's that didn't happen because he was underthrowing the ball & the WR would have to stop & come back for it instead of catching it in stride. This year receivers don't even have a chance to catch the pass more often than not. It's just thrown in their general direction but nowhere near where they could make a play on it.

Takes like this always crack me up...as if other quarterbacks can drop 50 yard bombs into a bucket consistently in a game situation.  

Deep balls (ie fades, not crossing routes or long throws on a rope) are not nearly as precise across the nfl as you seem to think they are.  Most quarterbacks are focusing on inside/outside the numbers, timing, and consistent technique.  None of them can throw it 55 yards instead of 58 on command...that's not real life.  Their goal is to throw it the same distance every time.

Josh is consistently overthrowing his targets and they appear to be to the correct shoulder and in bounds, so it's clear to me that there is a timing issue, not a technique issue (last year he had some underthrows that looked like they WERE technique related).  Some of it is on him, i'm sure...because he throws it further, he has to wait longer and sometimes the internal clock goes off in his head too early due to things like pass rush or excitement.  Some of it is also on his recievers...they're all pretty small and guys like Zay were horrible at tracking the football.  On that miss to John Brown, James Lofton (who is qualified to criticize) even mentioned that Brown looked too early/long...That's going to impact the timing, especially with a QB like Josh who is unlikely to leave it short.

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I thought Allen played well in the second half. Don't get me wrong. But on that play, there isn't a Dolphins defender within 5 yards of McKenzie between the 15 and 5 yard lines, and it only becomes tight after he passes the 2 yard line. It was a bad play by Allen. It happens. Hopefully next time when presented with the same situation, he'll get rid of it on time. 

That safety was in good position to make a play on Mckenzie if Josh threw the ball earlier.  Mckenzie wasn't really open until the safety let him go by so he could stay in position for the crossing route underneath...which is exactly when Josh threw the ball.  

Edited by Mikey152
  • Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, K-9 said:

I admire your fortitude for being able to stomach this place during a game. It’s full tilt bozo time around here on game days. 

It's rough on gamedays when they aren't playing so hot. I got a 3-day suspension for sharing my thoughts on that sometime last year, haha. Definitely a ton of knee-jerk overreactions.

On 10/23/2019 at 12:12 AM, BADOLBILZ said:

I saw the All-22 of that play as it was happening:lol:..........if Allen were Chad Pennington throwing with perfect anticipation and placement within 15 yards of the LOS then this WR corps would be a great fit.   He's not.   He didn't see John Brown open on a 3rd down pass that fell incomplete to Knox in the first half as well.   That's what you get with him.   He also buys time with his feet and creates opportunities for passing plays that a game manager could not.   

Yeah I remember that play where brown was open. To be fair I didn't see Allen miss alot of open players in this game. 

2 hours ago, london_bills said:

Yeah I remember that play where brown was open. To be fair I didn't see Allen miss alot of open players in this game. 

What's your definition of miss?   We're talking about missing the open WR by not throwing the ball to him. 

22 minutes ago, london_bills said:

Yeah that's what I mean. Throwing to a more covered receiver/ missing the throw when there was a more open receiver.

You can split that out a bit more.  There are still many instances where Allen doesn't throw the ball at all to a receiver who's NFL open, but not college open.   It's all part of his learning and maturation.  Hopefully he starts to hit those at a greater frequency because then he will be deadly.  Teams still need to respect his running ability and that means one less defender in pass coverage.   Daboll has schemed for that mismatch, and now it's up to Allen to take advantage.