Emmanuel Sanders to 49ers

boco357

3 hours ago, Bills Survivor said:

He's not asleep at the wheel, hes intelligent. He doesnt want to give up valuable future assets for decent (Sanu) and old (Sanders) skill position players. He's trying to build a perennial contender and you don't get there making desperate moves, despite the impatience in Buffalo for us to be great again after the embarrassing past two decades. We've seen numerous blissfully ignorant GMs over the years but this isn't one of them. If theres a good move to be made for someone to help this team immediately I'm confident they will move on it.

This is the correct answer.  We're a year away from being a strong contender.  Right now we're good enough to make the playoffs...but not good enough for an extended run and I don't think renting a Sanu or Sanders is going to put us over the top.  

IMO, 4th-6th round picks for one year rentals or mid-tier players.  

3rd rounders for a good player that you may or may not keep after the year, but the chance for a new contract is possible.  

1st/2nd rounders for studs that have years left on their contract or that you will definitely sign to a new contract. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Not when it comes to wide receivers 

I don’t think we have one we drafted on the roster 

At least they haven’t don’t so yet. More evidence is needed before a conclusion is reached. With that in mind, a drafted WR isn’t likely to provide much help until the 2021 season. That’s year 5 of McD and Co. If a good deal can be reached for a proven veteran, the Bills should probably make it. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, inthebuff said:

This is the correct answer.  We're a year away from being a strong contender.  Right now we're good enough to make the playoffs...but not good enough for an extended run and I don't think renting a Sanu or Sanders is going to put us over the top.  

Whats gonna change in a year ?   Why not now ?     

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

And I love the "look how good McBeane have drafted.......we can't trade those picks!"  while totally disregarding the fact that one of the reasons that they seem to have drafted well is because they had SO MANY needs that need/bpa were the same thing.    It's pretty normal for teams to draft less efficiently as their needs decrease.

How come your theory did not work during the decade of darkness namely 2001-2010?  We had many needs and if we had truly hit on most of those picks we would have been more than a 6-10 or 7-9 team during that stretch.  And it ain't all on Mularkey, Jauron, etc..  A flub of a draft pick is just that and can happen whether if a team is otherwise well stocked at that position or not.

49 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Kroft has been hurt thus far a non-factor and Knox is super raw. Sweeney I look at as more of a potential high end backup. Lee Smith is more of a niche player. I don't look at the tight end talent and think it is great. I don't think there is a market to find a quality tight end so the point is moot. But I do look at the tight end position and think wow look at all the talent there. Don't get me wrong I love Knox's potential and Sweeney can be a good role player but those guys aren't ready to be starters just yet. I don't look at the position as a deep position as the quality isn't there. 

Lot of teams are much worse off at tight end. 
We have talent, although some of it’s unproven talent. 

Just now, Rc2catch said:

Lot of teams are much worse off at tight end. 
We have talent, although some of it’s unproven talent. 

Lots of teams are worse but a lot of teams are better too. The Bills right now have an injured unproven veteran, a good blocking tight end (a niche position), a super raw rookie with a lot of potential and another rookie whose ceiling is a fringe starter and needs development.

None of these players are making much of an impact. Knox shows his flashes but he also has a lot of bad plays too. Sweeney hasn't been much of a factor and Kroft is often hurt. Lee Smith is doing his role but as I said it is a niche position. 

Bottom line I like Knox and Sweeney as a combo long term but the production from the position at the moment is bottom 10 in the league. 

5 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Opinion time, does AJ Green put us over the top playoff wise?

As good as he is I don’t think he alone does it, would he improve the team? Yes, but by how much??

Go Bills!!!

Rarely can you say that about anyone outside a top qb or maybe a game changing pass rusher. And they are priced accordingly.

for a day 2 pick, IF you get him healthy... I’d be hard pressed to come up with a more immediately impactful position/player that might be available. Health being the risk of course. 

13 hours ago, Locomark said:

Random suggestion...Robbie Anderson ? Jets are out of it and he is on a 1 year deal and probably won’t resign there. Jets probably have no depth to even consider it.

We don't need another speed WR, we need a guy with Duke Williams size but a better resume, I know he's been out forever but signing a guy like Dez Bryant be interesting and not cost us any draft picks. 

16 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

You're on the complete opposite end of the spectrum from me.  

This season is highly unusual and wide open.  In the era of free agency, the cap, constant player movement, you don't need to do things in 5 year plans anymore.

If we can improve the team at a critical position, I would totally do it.

I'm not talking about "panic" though.  That's your word and not really relevant to the situation anyway.

A measured move to win "now" instead of down the road need not be the product of panic.

This exactly - You have to take a chance to win now, because there's no guarantee that tomorrow will give you a better opportunity.  The schedule is incredibly favorable this season.  The long term viability of our team comes down to if we have consistently strong QB play... if you have that, the rest will fall into place. If we don't, the mid level draft pick we gave up for this chance likely won't make a difference in 2, 3 or 4 years when we're looking to find a new QB.  We have a unique opportunity now in a down conference to contend with a promising question mark at QB, a strong defense and room with the Cap this is the opportunity to take a stab at it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

The Bills Were In On Sanders

There is a reason why Denver traded Sanders first. Two weeks ago, Broncos GM John Elway was playing wait-and-see on trades. Then, Sanders didn’t play in the second half of a shutout win over the Titans, pushing Denver back into the AFC West picture at 2-4. The receiver met with head coach Vic Fangio on Monday then Elway on Tuesday (before the Broncos played the Chiefs on TNF) and agreed, if Sanders was a good soldier, to consider offers for the receiver. Sanders played 88% of the snaps against Kansas City, catching five balls for 60 yards, and the GM found a hot market—with the Saints and Bills vying with the 49ers and Patriots for his services. So Denver dealt him.

On 10/22/2019 at 3:03 PM, Bills Survivor said:

He's not asleep at the wheel, hes intelligent. He doesnt want to give up valuable future assets for decent (Sanu) and old (Sanders) skill position players. He's trying to build a perennial contender and you don't get there making desperate moves, despite the impatience in Buffalo for us to be great again after the embarrassing past two decades. We've seen numerous blissfully ignorant GMs over the years but this isn't one of them. If theres a good move to be made for someone to help this team immediately I'm confident they will move on it.

This is why I think a guy like Corey Davis might make more sense than an AJ Green. Davis is a younger player, a guy I believe is victim of bad QB play who a change of scenery may help.