Bill Barnwell's Speculation for a Bills trade for Melvin Gordon

inthebuff

Just more baseless babble from a "Hey, look at me", I am an insightful football guy.    

Make more sense speculating what's the next stupid stunt a Bills fan attempts that ends up on social media for this season.

Though, it'll be pretty tough to top Explosion guy and Over the railing face plant guy.  

Edited by I am the egg man
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Big No. Frank's been amazing and Devin will be back 100% for Miami.  And we can draft another RB in April as insurance for Gore. And finally there's still Murphy available who can give you  decent carries. We have options but no to Gordon.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 2

I just dont think this is the way Daboll and McBeane want to build the offense. If all we were missing was a talented RB to compliment Gore and SIngletary while also being able to catch when needed we never would have gotten rid of McCoy. We would look pretty dumb IMO to cut Shady and then trade for Gordon. Of course Gordon is younger but for the 1-year fill in role he likely wouldnt be that much of an upgrade over McCoy, certainly not enough to tip the scales enough to make as a SB contender.

Initial reaction was a hard pass, but after reading into it, and how we'd probably get back that 3rd anyway if we don't resign him after the year.... I mean.....

If Diggs costs us a 1st as a lower tier #1, is that better than trading away a 3rd for Gordon - assuming we sign him long term?  If we don't, we get back that 3rd in a comp pick, most likely.

I'm certainly over paying big money to running backs, but Gordon is also big in the passing game.  It's intriguing at the very least.

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, ricojes said:

I wouldn't give up a third round pick, maybe a 5 and Yeldon with no pick in return.  But the Bills running game is hurting, defenses are keying on Allen and not worrying too much about the run.  Gore is great in spots, but he's not a lead back.  Maybe Singletary can be the lead guy with Gore filling in for the tough yardage, but it definitely won't hurt his progress to bring in an elite back to watch and learn from.  I would make this trade in a heart beat.

I don't think Gordon is an "elite" back

• Thank you (+1) 1

Nope.     Gordon doesn't seem like a process guy to me.

If they swing a trade, it will likely be for depth.    Probably at LB or OT.    Before yesterday, I would have said WR, but Duke looks like he could be that guy...

39 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

I don't see this. You dont give away assets for a position that you don't need. Beane is way smarter than that. We don't NEED a RB.

Now, if we're talking a 3 and Zay for Diggs and a 5, I'm all in.

Singletary is too small to be a two down back even, and probably just perfect for the role they were using him in?

It doesn't seem like a trade the Chargers would make but if I were Bills front office/coaches I would seriously think about it.  Adding Gordon would certainly upgrade the RB position.  My second thought on the trade terms was do you think the Patriots would make that trade for Gordon?  Getting Gordon and a 5th for their 3rd RB and a 3rd for minimally about 1/2 season rental, or a comp pick if he goes free agency, or signing him to a longer term deal.  I bet they would. 

9 minutes ago, timekills17 said:

I think some are missing the salient point here.

Even if we only get him for this year - he's $3.3 million we have and we get back the pick we give up PLUS we get a 5th rounder.

Wow.   Thanks for the clarification.

Why would the Bills NOT do this??

40 minutes ago, ricojes said:

I wouldn't give up a third round pick, maybe a 5 and Yeldon with no pick in return.  But the Bills running game is hurting, defenses are keying on Allen and not worrying too much about the run.  Gore is great in spots, but he's not a lead back.  Maybe Singletary can be the lead guy with Gore filling in for the tough yardage, but it definitely won't hurt his progress to bring in an elite back to watch and learn from.

Gore had a fantastic game as the lead back against the best defense in the league, and is on pace with his career average of 4.4 yards per carry.

But aside from that, yeah we'll have Singletary going forward even though I wouldn't be opposed to renting Gordon for the playoff run.  Just not sure about the logistics of compensatory picks in that situation. 

7 minutes ago, Socal-805 said:

Wow.   Thanks for the clarification.

Why would the Bills NOT do this??

Would basically be highway robbery if true, thus it won't happen.

56 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

I don't see this. You dont give away assets for a position that you don't need. Beane is way smarter than that. We don't NEED a RB.

Now, if we're talking a 3 and Zay for Diggs and a 5, I'm all in.

...allegedly he turned down $10 mil/yr from Chargers...rumored to be looking for $13 mil....not in McBeane's wheelhouse IMO...

• Like (+1) 1