Ranking Undefeated Teams - Gil Brandt

MJS

"Heading into Week 4 of the 2019 season, an astounding eight teams stand undefeated.

That's five more undefeated teams than at this point last year, and tied with 1996 for the second-most undefeated teams through the first three weeks of any season since 1930.

All of these teams should be feeling good, given that 73.8 percent of teams to start 3-0 since 1990 have gone on to make the playoffs. But this is the NFL, and anything can happen.

Which of the eight undefeated teams am I most confident in? I've ranked them below, separating them further into three categories: playoff locks, on the bubble and potentially too good to be true."

PLAYOFF LOCKS

1) PATRIOTS (3-0)

2) CHIEFS (3-0)

3) COWBOYS (3-0)

4) RAMS (3-0)

ON THE BUBBLE

5) BILLS (3-0)

"Buffalo fans have been teased before, but it feels like this iteration of the Bills is a legit playoff squad, especially when you consider that they should be able to count on getting three more wins out of their three remaining matchups against the Jets and Dolphins. (Buffalo already beat the Jets in Week 1.) Of course, this team could REALLY quiet doubters by beating the visiting Patriots this Sunday. For that to happen, the Bills will need Josh Allen to maintain the upward trajectory he's been on in his second pro season; the quarterback has improved on his rookie marks in completion rate (64.1, up from 52.8), interception rate (2.9 percent, down from 3.8) and yards per attempt (7.3, up from 6.5) while continuing to pose a threat on the ground (8.7 yards per carry with two rushing scores)."

6) PACKERS (3-0)

TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE?

7) 49ERS (3-0)
8 ) LIONS (2-0-1)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001058869/article/confidence-rankings-for-undefeated-patriots-solid-49ers-shaky

I think this analysis is pretty spot on. Interesting that Brandt puts the Bills in front of the Packers. I also think it is interesting that he puts the Cowboys in front of the Rams.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, Reader said:

The Rams are interesting. I have a hard time discerning how good of a QB Goff is. At least for 3 games in, Dak seems more consistent.

I am definitely not sold on Goff. I think he is a good player, but he isn't clutch and can't carry the team. He is one of those QB's that needs help around him. Because of that, I'm not sure he'll help the Rams win a super bowl unless it is somehow a mismatch in their favor.

Dak has been playing well. I think he's been underrated, but let's see if he can keep it up. I could see the Cowboys fade towards the end of the season. I don't think there is a good reason to believe that they are all of the sudden and elite team.

4 minutes ago, Estelle Getty said:

He is probably taking into account the Cowboys are in a VERY weak division and the Rams are in a pretty good one

He seems to be accounting for each team's remaining schedule, which is a no-brainer when you're considering playoff chances.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

He seems to be accounting for each team's remaining schedule, which is a no-brainer when you're considering playoff chances.

I wonder if there was that much thought put into it or if it is just an off the cuff ranking. Probably somewhere in the middle.

I like it. I went into this expecting us to be last, but I was pleasantly surprised. Brandt is an actual football guy who doesn’t just take any chance to slam the bills. I was struck by the fact that we have 3 wins, and we’re playing 4 more games against teams we have no right losing to... that’s crazy. 

• Like (+1) 1

I didn't realize until today that that Pats"* three victims this year are all winless (I don't follow the rest of the league that closely).

So we have a matchup two 3-0 teams whose opponents thus far are a combined 1-17. The Bills may not be a championship team yet, but they're no bums. But then again, they have played nothing but bums. And so have the Pats*. 

This could be more interesting than I thought!

Edited by skibum
  • Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, skibum said:

I didn't realize until today that that Pats"* three victims this year are all winless (I don't follow the rest of the league that closely).

So we have a matchup two 3-0 teams whose opponents thus far are a combined 1-17. The Bills may not be a championship team yet, but they're no bums. But then again, they have played nothing but bums. And so have the Pats*. 

This could be more interesting than I thought!

Pars have massacred their bums.    Bills need two q4 drives to win.   bills can win this game.     But it is a long shot is 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Pars have massacred their bums.    Bills need two q4 drives to win.   bills can win this game.     But it is a long shot is 

Yeah, but we faced much better offenses and a Jets team that wasn't yet spiralling downwards. Bills for sure aren't better than them, but the manner in which they beat their opponents is a deeper story than just looking at the margin of victory.

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

Yeah, but we faced much better offenses and a Jets team that wasn't yet spiralling downwards. Bills for sure aren't better than them, but the manner in which they beat their opponents is a deeper story than just looking at the margin of victory.

The Steelers with Ben were mauled by the Pats.  That game was executed flawlessly from start to finish by the pats. 

McVay is basically the QB for the Rams, which is why I'm surprised they gave Goff that extension. He's just a decent QB playing a GREAT system. That could definitely catch up to them when it matters most. But you have to consider they didn't have Kupp last season in the playoffs, who's a huge part of what they do. I think they're the best team in the NFC in spite of Goff.

5 hours ago, Reader said:

The Rams are interesting. I have a hard time discerning how good of a QB Goff is. At least for 3 games in, Dak seems more consistent.

Aikman with the Cowboys would NOT have won any of those super bowls without Emmit Smith.    Todd Gurley needs to own up and show up in the Playoffs/   Goff is more like an Aikman than a Favre. 

22 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Aikman with the Cowboys would NOT have won any of those super bowls without Emmit Smith.    Todd Gurley needs to own up and show up in the Playoffs/   Goff is more like an Aikman than a Favre. 

Gurley has been having problems with his knees, though, right?

6 hours ago, MJS said:

"Heading into Week 4 of the 2019 season, an astounding eight teams stand undefeated.

That's five more undefeated teams than at this point last year, and tied with 1996 for the second-most undefeated teams through the first three weeks of any season since 1930.

All of these teams should be feeling good, given that 73.8 percent of teams to start 3-0 since 1990 have gone on to make the playoffs. But this is the NFL, and anything can happen.

Which of the eight undefeated teams am I most confident in? I've ranked them below, separating them further into three categories: playoff locks, on the bubble and potentially too good to be true."

PLAYOFF LOCKS

1) PATRIOTS (3-0)

2) CHIEFS (3-0)

3) COWBOYS (3-0)

4) RAMS (3-0)

ON THE BUBBLE

5) BILLS (3-0)

"Buffalo fans have been teased before, but it feels like this iteration of the Bills is a legit playoff squad, especially when you consider that they should be able to count on getting three more wins out of their three remaining matchups against the Jets and Dolphins. (Buffalo already beat the Jets in Week 1.) Of course, this team could REALLY quiet doubters by beating the visiting Patriots this Sunday. For that to happen, the Bills will need Josh Allen to maintain the upward trajectory he's been on in his second pro season; the quarterback has improved on his rookie marks in completion rate (64.1, up from 52.8), interception rate (2.9 percent, down from 3.8) and yards per attempt (7.3, up from 6.5) while continuing to pose a threat on the ground (8.7 yards per carry with two rushing scores)."

6) PACKERS (3-0)

TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE?

7) 49ERS (3-0)
8 ) LIONS (2-0-1)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001058869/article/confidence-rankings-for-undefeated-patriots-solid-49ers-shaky

I think this analysis is pretty spot on. Interesting that Brandt puts the Bills in front of the Packers. I also think it is interesting that he puts the Cowboys in front of the Rams.

The NFC East is less competitive than the West so far this season.  May be why Cowboys are above the Rams.

2 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

McVay is basically the QB for the Rams, which is why I'm surprised they gave Goff that extension. He's just a decent QB playing a GREAT system.

The problem is there is no guarantee you can replace him with someone at least as good.  The entire AFC East has been chasing a franchise QB for the last 20 years other than the Patriots.  In three teams the best we've see has been Noodle-Armed Pennington in even numbered years, and the husk of Drew Bledsoe for a couple seasons, and the Ghost of Brett Favre in 2008.  That was about it.

If you have even an above average QB, you have to build a defense around them.  You do NOT take your chances on the QB Roulette and try to get a better one.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

McVay is basically the QB for the Rams, which is why I'm surprised they gave Goff that extension. He's just a decent QB playing a GREAT system. That could definitely catch up to them when it matters most. But you have to consider they didn't have Kupp last season in the playoffs, who's a huge part of what they do. I think they're the best team in the NFC in spite of Goff.

I'm not surprised as Goff's strengths play perfectly into that system.  He's a rhythm thrower who can make all the throws with the touch and accuracy needed that's not easily replaceable.  Mine as well lock him up now before the market goes up.  The Rams better lock up home field each year though as Goff's stats in cold weather are horrible which was a worry coming out of college given his hand size.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Jared said:

The problem is there is no guarantee you can replace him with someone at least as good.  The entire AFC East has been chasing a franchise QB for the last 20 years other than the Patriots.  In three teams the best we've see has been Noodle-Armed Pennington in even numbered years, and the husk of Drew Bledsoe for a couple seasons, and the Ghost of Brett Favre in 2008.  That was about it.

If you have even an above average QB, you have to build a defense around them.  You do NOT take your chances on the QB Roulette and try to get a better one.

Yes. Above average QB's are a rarity. You stick with them until you have a clear upgrade. But I think if the Rams were smart they'd be looking. Put Mahomes or Brees or Rodgers on their team and they are a dynasty. With Goff they are limited from their full potential.

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Yes. Above average QB's are a rarity. You stick with them until you have a clear upgrade. But I think if the Rams were smart they'd be looking. Put Mahomes or Brees or Rodgers on their team and they are a dynasty. With Goff they are limited from their full potential.

Imagine if we got to have seen a McVay, Peyton Manning duo. Although maybe that'd be a case of too many cooks in the kitchen.

10 hours ago, Reader said:

If you unsure of Goff, you must be absolutely certain that Allen is bust.

2 hours ago, CSBill said:

Good news for the Bills: 3-8 (besides us) are all NFC teams. Chiefs and Pats are pretty much a lock, and the AFC is wide-open after that.

And after we win on Sunday, Bills will move to be with the Chiefs.?

Utopia my man. 

Even if the Bills Win ALL the power rankings (not by a Bills fan) will have KC#1, NE* or RAMS at #2 or 3 but still above Buffalo