A Few Thoughts about the Giants game, in no particular order

Virgil

5 minutes ago, DBilz2500 said:

10 years. 98 yard Fitz to TO TD pass from 2 yard line vs Jaguars 

If I remember correctly it was actually 99 yards.

EDIT: I stand corrected. You are right. 98 yards. I went back and watched it on YouTube.

Edited by CLTbills

There was a lot to like from the offense today. Our D was far less impressive IMO vs. a Giants team that struggles to move the ball. I think it's telling that our three leading tacklers on the day were all DBs. Very interested to focus on Oliver and Edmunds on the re-watch to see what happened. I have a feeling I'm not going to like what I see. 

Edited by VW82

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

I was looking forward to today's game as my 6 year old daughter kept reminding me how she wanted me to explain the game to her.  We went out and made football snacks, had our gear on, and were all set.  The moment the Bills kicked the ball off, she's laying on my legs, tablet out, Netflix on.  Oh well...

1 - Allen - If you are tracking each game of Allen's early career and trying to build your case for him to finally be our answer at QB, then this was the game for you.  Before I get to that though; I think it's easy to be too forgiving or too critical of players on your team.  When I watch other Pro Bowl QB's, I get reminded that they miss passes too.   When our defense shuts down an opposing QB, it's fine for them, but not for our guy.  With that, Allen was absolutely on point today.  Yes, he missed a wide open Brown for a TD, but we still scored a TD on that drive.  Avoiding the rush, Allen was his normal monster self, juking blitzers out of their shoes, buying time, and made some real money throws on the run.  For those on the 60% completion train, he was over that today, but not because of dump off passes to Beasley.  That was a legit mid 60% completion percentage and some of his misses were simply drops that hit guys right in the hands.  There was a 3rd quarter lull and I started to worry that we were taking our lead for granted, but Allen turned it on for the final TD drive and moved the team almost effortlessly today.  Allen handled an inferior defense exactly as you'd expect him too.  Side note:  Two weeks in a row they called that QB sweep play well.  Not a big fan of the QB draw plays.  Let's not hurt the guy

Stat curse:  How many of you knew the moment they threw up the graphic about Bills QB's not throwing for 300 yards that his momentum would slow down and not break it today either?

2 - Receivers - I'm going to include TE's on this as well, but wanted RB's to be separate.  I can't tell if the Bills are intentionally spreading the ball around to everyone, or if they haven't quite figured our their full identity on offense.  It seemed like we rotated McKenzie, Zay, and Foster all in at the #2/#3 WR spots as well as rotated our TE"s.  I can see the strategy against the opposing defenses, but I wonder how much that affects getting our guys in rhythm.  With that, everyone got their time to shine, but I feel like Brown and Beasley could be utilized more.  This isn't a criticism; just an observation.  Overall, the units played well.

3 - Backfield - Gore looked quicker than I've seen him since putting on a Bills uniform and made some solid catches out of the backfield.  I was surprised when I heard that today was his first rushing TD in over a year.  However, the quickness and elusiveness of Singletary is apparent on the field and I don't know why they took so long to get him touches.  Is this because he's a rookie?  Then, of course, he goes and gets hurt, so we might be seeing the Rugby player out there next week.   Either way, it was good to see the running game incorporated a little more this week, but it's still a clearly pass heavy offense.  

4 - If you want to win, do the ordinary things better than anyone else them day in and day out

5 - Special Teams - Like many on here, I've been quick to call out our need for a new punter.  Not today.  Bojorquez was booming balls downfield today.  One of them actually outkicked our coverage and gave the Giants decent field position.  Then, on the other side, we had Siran Neal handling business today, and not only on special teams.  Kid was flying the ball and laying hits.  Great day for this unit today.  However, in a game where McKenzie was used a little more, I still don't understand why he isn't returning punts

6 - Defensive Line - Maybe it's because they got shredded on the very first drive, but the front four pressure wasn't that great today in my opinion.  The got some pressure and Oliver showed some flashes, but Eli, for the most part, had time today.  Again, I'm assuming that a large part of this was because they were in run contain, as Barkley didn't do much after that first drive, which is a total win for the defense.  And ultimately, the Giants were overall held in check.  But with the money we've paid here and the QB's we have coming up, this is something I'm hoping to see improve.

7 - Everyone else on Defense - Let me just get the Micah Hyde hit out of the way now.  Wow.  That was the highlight reel play of the day.  Absolutely destroyed that guy and forced the incompletion, which led to the missed field goal.  After the first Giants drive, which I know still counts, we played a very strong game of rushing contain and bend, but don't break defense.  Levi Wallace got picked on a bit, but nothing major given up.  Tackling was MUCH better than last week.  Edmunds worked out the kinks early and Milano did a great job of playing the edges.  He actually tracked down Barkley and made a nice tackle around the line of scrimmage.  For a game where we only gave up two scoring drives, it wasn't flashy, but the job got done well.

8 - Offensive Line - The holding call on Morse was BS and stopped a good drive that might have put the game away a little earlier.  Dawkins and Ford had some brain fart moments that needs to get cleaned up.  Ford especially got ran around on a few plays.  I think Allen was under a little more pressure this week than last, but the Giants ran a lot more stunts and sent extra people a little more.  I did love how Ford backed up Allen on the drag down tackle. The defender even arm-barred Allen's helmet on the play and you could see some trash talking while Allen was down.  With that, Ford did exactly what I'd expect him to do.  So I'll take those 15 yards with pride.  With that being said, the running game was existent this week.  The called run with Allen for a TD was well executed as was Singletary's.  It was a decent day for them, but again, tough to tell with this pass happy offense.  

Side Note - Spain in open field blocking is simply unfair.  I can't remember the exact play, but he got out in space and you could see how massive he is.  He then just completely enveloped a dude.  Poor kid never stood a chance.  I'm loving Spain more and more each game.

9 - Giants - Maybe it's because I have a lot of family that roots for the Giants or I'll always have a soft spot for what they did to Brady twice, but I feel bad for that team right now.  If they are going to be this bad this year, they will probably be picking in the top 5 of what could be a strong QB class.  With that, why not take an Oliver, Allen (DE), in this years draft if you knew how this year was going to go.  Especially if these trade rumors are true.  With that, I'll say it again, I'd give up a first for Engram.  He's a special talent at TE and would be a nightmare weapon for Allen to have.  

10 - Coaching - I love how this team responded after going down 7-0 quickly.  If you couldn't see the score, you wouldn't have known it happened based upon the swagger of the team.  We seemed in control of this game from that point on with no real scares.  Hey, how often can you say that as a Bills fan?  With that, I don't like taking a knee with 40+ seconds left and two timeouts before Halftime.  We came out of the break a little light, but again, turned it on when needed.   But overall, we played this game like a good team does against a bad one.  Now, we are finally home to plays a Bengals team that got whooped on at their home opener, but has an emerging weapon in Ross.  I really hope we don't have a letdown game and I expect the fans to be rocking the Ralph.  We all know what's coming in week 4.  

16-0!  Go Bills!!!

Minnesota last year was the game i knew he was the guy.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

So you're saying there's a chance?

Then what's the point of him being on the practice squad?  Or is that where we get the extra roster spot?

The point is to give Wade a full extra year to learn the game of football.  Wade does not take up a PS spot so it's like we have an extra player.

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

6 - Defensive Line - Maybe it's because they got shredded on the very first drive, but the front four pressure wasn't that great today in my opinion.  The got some pressure and Oliver showed some flashes, but Eli, for the most part, had time today.  Again, I'm assuming that a large part of this was because they were in run contain, as Barkley didn't do much after that first drive, which is a total win for the defense.  And ultimately, the Giants were overall held in check.  But with the money we've paid here and the QB's we have coming up, this is something I'm hoping to see improve.

One note that includes last week and this week, LOTS of batted down balls by the Defensive ends ,,, the mark of a good defense.  You are right, not a lot of pressure today BUT many batted down passes on Darnold and Manning.  Great coaching on that end.

11 minutes ago, VW82 said:

There was a lot to like from the offense today. Our D was far less impressive IMO vs. a Giants team that struggles to move the ball. I think it's telling that our three leading tacklers on the day were all DBs. Very interested to focus on Oliver and Edmunds on the re-watch to see what happened. I have a feeling I'm not going to like what I see. 

When he was in there Ed got doubled alot. Tremaine will never have an easier pic6 than that one...

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Wade is NOT eligible for callup under the PS rules for International Pathway Players this year. I wish people would stop talking about him being called up.

But i agree with Allen...he looked really good and other than a few poor throws...the one to Zay when he was wide open and tried to sidearm the ball and it went way behind him really sticks in my mind...he was pretty money today and on point with the ball.

Going back to last year this was Allen's 3rd straight game of over 60% completion rate...he is starting to get it.

I love point #4. Got a little sloppy with pre snap penalties on offense today. But overall discipline is much better. Doing the routine things at pace. Out of the huddle and quick to line up, fewer delay of game or blown time outs etc. Less bull#### penalties on D. Guys make their tackes and walk away...no trash talk.  I'm 60 years old. I've learned that little things count. I trust the process.

Just now, Utah John said:

Tough luck for Edmunds, not getting the pick and probably a pick six.  He's playing well, as far as I can see, but getting very little ink.  Is that a good thing or a bad thing for a MLB?

He got a lot of love in week one and the preseason

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Love Allen.

Hate the conservative style of play at the end of the half.... not surprising with McDermott. I think 3rd QTR offense was more a product of lack of execution than play calling. 

Yeah, I love this team and McDermott is a big part of the Renaissance. It’s the first time in my life that I’ve felt we are building a legitimate contender. My only fear is that McD could have a Marty Schottenheimer like coaching career if he doesn’t change. The type of coach that excels with game planning and fields a constant winner, but lacks the instinct needed to be a champion. Oh well, guess I’ll just enjoy where we’re at now, and hope to keep pushing towards the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, SirAndrew said:

Yeah, I love this team and McDermott is a big part of the Renaissance. It’s the first time in my life that I’ve felt we are building a legitimate contender. My only fear is that McD could have a Marty Schottenheimer like coaching career if he doesn’t change. The type of coach that excels with game planning and fields a constant winner, but lacks the instinct needed to be a champion. Oh well, guess I’ll just enjoy where we’re at now, and hope to keep pushing towards the playoffs. 

You can't be a champion until you make the playoffs.  You can't make the playoffs without winning at least 10 games (most years).  The Bills are playing to get Ws, not stats or publicity.

I noticed my own reaction today, that I'm now watching games sort of expecting the Bills to win, unless they're playing one of the few really elite teams, and even then I expect it to be competitive.  It hasn't been this say in a long, long time.  Maybe we'll all get that one SB win before we die.

• Like (+1) 1

I find it interesting that you say Brown and Beasley should be utilized more. Both of them have been big keys to the offense both weeks. Brown has had 7 receptions in both games. That's a lot. Beasley has 9 total through two games. Those two players have accounted for 54% of Josh Allen's completions. I think that's pretty good.

3 minutes ago, Utah John said:

You can't be a champion until you make the playoffs.  You can't make the playoffs without winning at least 10 games (most years).  The Bills are playing to get Ws, not stats or publicity.

I noticed my own reaction today, that I'm now watching games sort of expecting the Bills to win, unless they're playing one of the few really elite teams, and even then I expect it to be competitive.  It hasn't been this say in a long, long time.  Maybe we'll all get that one SB win before we die.

I'll be honest, until we show up in a game where we are favored to lose by more than 3 points, I won't be comfortable.  BBFS for life!