A Few Thoughts about the Giants game, in no particular order

Virgil

31 minutes ago, Virgil said:

So you're saying there's a chance?

Then what's the point of him being on the practice squad?  Or is that where we get the extra roster spot?

That's where we get the extra roster spot.  We can't call him up this year, but neither can anyone else.

The point is to give an athletically talented guy who is new to football time to learn the game.

8 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

McKenzie would probably still be on the Broncos if he didnt drop four punts. I have no problem with Hyde back there until Roberts returns.

Yep.  He literally muffed his way off the Broncs.  I have no problem with holding him back from punt return duties

9 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Damn it!  I wanted to mention that.  Thank you for reminding me.  He destroyed that guy and pushed him all the way back into the endzone.  It was great

Not only that, he blocked him into another Giants player who looked like he might have an angle to cut Singletary off around the 1 or 2 yardline and effectively took them both out of the play...

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's where we get the extra roster spot.  We can't call him up this year, but neither can anyone else.

The point is to give an athletically talented guy who is new to football time to learn the game.

Yep.  He literally muffed his way off the Broncs.  I have no problem with holding him back from punt return duties

Well Im glad, he is a dynamic player in space and he fits our offense well as an "X" factor that needs to be accounted for when he is in there...its no coincidence once he started playing with Foster later in the year that Allen started playing much better and the offense started putting up points.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

RT is looking to still be an issue and I'm just not a Zay fan. Allen is showing good progress,I'm interested to see how he handles playing a good team. The conservative coaching BS has to go away, and I'm afraid that is part of McD's DNA - that is very concerning. Never should have kneeled at the end of the half and they should not have gone in a shell in the 3rd; it felt like they were trying to run the clock out in Q3 and that is a terrible idea, unless you are up like 40-0...

I was okay with running out the clock to end the half knowing we were getting the ball to start the 2nd half. Leading 21-7 on the road, you didn’t want anything stupid to occur to give the Giants an opportunity.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

I was okay with running out the clock to end the half knowing we were getting the ball to start the 2nd half. Leading 21-7 on the road, you didn’t want anything stupid to occur to give the Giants an opportunity.

Is that you Jauron? ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

When we got the ball at 1:49 with 2 TO, I wanted points. We should have had a nice 1:30 drive for any points, even a FG and gone into the half scoring and getting the ball back.

For some reason they opened that drive with a badly called QB draw that went no where and killed all momentum. We ended up punting, and having only taken 17 seconds off the clock.

Once we got the ball back I was ok running out the clock just because I didn't like the other option of doing something stupid.

But that second-to-last drive should have been the last drive, and it should have produced points. Not happy with the way that went at all. And only begrudgingly agreed with running out the clock when we did get it back.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

When we got the ball at 1:49 with 2 TO, I wanted points. We should have had a nice 1:30 drive for any points, even a FG and gone into the half scoring and getting the ball back.

For some reason they opened that drive with a badly called QB draw that went no where and killed all momentum. We ended up punting, and having only taken 17 seconds off the clock.

Once we got the ball back I was ok running out the clock just because I didn't like the other option of doing something stupid.

But that second-to-last drive should have been the last drive, and it should have produced points. Not happy with the way that went at all. And only begrudgingly agreed with running out the clock when we did get it back.

In full agreement with you.

Allen played great today. But I hated when he stiff armed a defensive end while getting tackled.  Allen’s whole mantra should be to take off and avoid contact at all costs.  Eventually, all the running QBs get hurt and there’s also the cumulative effect.  Don’t speed up the process by taking on dudes.

as for punter,  Bujourquez would have to shank a bunch of 30 yarders to ever be in danger.  Half his value is that Haushka feels good about him as a holder. You don’t mess with that chemistry(see last season!)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

The defender even arm-barred Allen's helmet on the play and you could see some trash talking while Allen was down. 

re #8.  I was swearing a blue streak about it being taunting but they weren't even mentioning taunting in the review on TV.  The defender got up stood over Allen and looked straight down at him.  I'm sure he was just worried about Josh's health.

1. Allen looked very good. He still had some misfires but he looks like he may be the franchise QB this team has been searching for two decades.  He had two bad balls - deep pass that he overthrew by 8 yards and the slant to Zay. A better throw to McKenzie on the crossing pattern and it is a TD but that is me being nit picky.   One topped ball for sure that Zay did a good job breaking up an INT. The other floater that almost got picked was hard to tell if that just slipped out of his hand or if the defender got it just as he released the ball.  

He looked good in and out of the pocket.

2. Knox - downfield block on the TD run was the highlight of the game for me.  He just mugged the DB with great technique.  Typically when they block that long you get a holding downfield flag. But her kept his hands inside and just buried the guy.  

3. Run blocking to the left- Dawkins and Spain are destroying the defense.  

4. Pass blocking - ugh. All three tackles are struggling.  Make the trade for Trent Williams.  Sooner or later the poor pass protection will catch up to them

5. Gore - very slow start but really helped the team today.  

6. ST's - I can't wait for Crossman to be let go.  The coverage units are still terrible.  Kicking game is solid so far.

7. White/Wallace - too much cushion today.  None of these WR's were good enough to get deep on them.  I know it is McD's defense and his style but had the corners played a little closer to the line today, I think the pass rush affects Manning a bit more.  Great tackles after the catch.

8. I did not see the Zay drop really well but it looked like a catch a NFL WR makes more often than not.  He won't be on the roster next year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

1. A better throw to McKenzie on the crossing pattern and it is a TD but that is me being nit picky.   

I thought that too at first.  But, after watching the replay, I think he just lost his footing.  He could have stayed upright and possibly scored

Just now, Virgil said:

I thought that too at first.  But, after watching the replay, I think he just lost his footing.  He could have stayed upright and possibly scored

I thought it was both. If he threw it so he didn't have to jump it was probably a TD, and if McKenzie just kept his balance after coming down with it, which wasn't all that hard it could have been a TD.

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

Damn it!  I wanted to mention that.  Thank you for reminding me.  He destroyed that guy and pushed him all the way back into the endzone.  It was great

Knox has been a solid blocker but he needs to spend some time at the jugs machine. He has dropped a few passes the last two weeks.