OAK planning to suspend AB (edit: apologized, playing)

Reed83HOF

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

In ABs eyes, how do you think that landed?  It’s a passive aggressive threat to call AB bluff on how he would retire if he can’t use his helmet.

As a CEO, I hold everyone to the same rules and standards.  But I also go about how I approach each person differently and manage them as individuals.  Mayock chose to manage everyone the same...that’s not a good approach if you’re taking on massive personalities like an OBJ or AB.

Just my opinion.  Again, AB is still a problem and not defending him.  Just feel that Mayock could have managed the relationship smarter that may have prevented it going this far. 

He was managing him as an individual until he made it clear he felt he was bigger than the organization.   As a CEO would you let an employee of yours remain employed if he/she posted an internal document with your signature on it to social media?

AB has proven that he cant be managed, it wasnt just Mayock that failed.   The Steelers did as well.   OBJ is a massive personality.   AB has mental issues detrimental to a teams bottom line.   If the Raiders win more than 3 to 4 games this year I'd be amazed.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I already know how this one ends:

Raiders suspend AB for conduct detrimental to the team. His $30million in guarantees are voided. The Raiders cut him outright and admit defeat on the trade. The Patriots sign him and -- suddenly, realizing this is his last chance and his best shot to win a Super Bowl -- he shapes up and acts like a consummate professional. The Patriots offense with Brown on one side and Gordon on the other and Edelman in the slot becomes unstoppable, the Patriots go to their 4th straight Super Bowl and win their 7th ring.

So it is written, and so it shall be.

:censored: you and Kirby :lol:

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Raiders suspend AB for conduct detrimental to the team. His $30million in guarantees are voided. The Raiders cut him outright and admit defeat on the trade. The Patriots sign him and -- suddenly, realizing this is his last chance and his best shot to win a Super Bowl -- he shapes up and acts like a consummate professional. The Patriots offense with Brown on one side and Gordon on the other and Edelman in the slot becomes unstoppable, the Patriots go to their 4th straight Super Bowl and win their 7th ring.

Hate it when that happens...

45 minutes ago, Billznut said:

Any team that takes this clown now is insane. Just as I thought the Raiders were when they traded for him. 

well this and the fact was his helmet not being allowed so if antonio sticks to THAT he wont agree to play anywhere anyway. LOL umbelievable

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Along this vein, if Gruden has a great deal of decision making and it looks like he does, he's doing a terrible job.

1) Traded Mack and then acted surprised at how good he was.

2) Traded Cooper, who then tore it up in Dallas.

3) Took Clelin Ferrel #4 overall.

4) Took a RB in the 1st round.

5) Looks like he was good with acquiring AB. 

Am I missing anything?

That about covers it. 

I’m not gonna criticize him on the draft picks until we see how they shake out. Ferrell is a good player. But I’m glad they took him which helped Oliver fall to us.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Ryan Clark was on NFL Live and followed up about his tweet last year about AB.  Said he took a lot of heat for that and he's looking good now!

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ex-steelers-star-crushes-antonio-brown-with-2012-story-give-him-money-youre-going-to-create-a-monster/

wow.  this is not good.

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

AB doesn't care about Super Bowls.  He'll go anywhere where they'll put up with him.  I think maybe Pete Carroll could be the only coach that could handle him.

23 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Didnt say that, it’s how Mayock has handled it.  He should have sat down face to face with him and not send a letter.  He shouldn’t have thrown AB under the bus in the media over the helmet while Gruden was saying they have his back.

Just watching NFL Live and the talking heads said they had to send him letter and that is normal practice and what the must do. 

Not sure we can assume that mayock didn’t sit down with him first either. I’d assume he likely did. 

Agreed 100% that Mayock should have kept his mouth closed and kept it out if media. Never like management spouting off - like Jerry Jones just did with Zeke. 

14 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

All good, and I think it’s justified to suspend AB.  My point is the way Mayock has managed AB up until now was not the right approach and it’s contributed to the problem.  

Frankly, I think Mayock's biggest mistake was allowing ANY of it to go on at all. The second the helmet stuff started, Mayock should have called AB and his agent into a meeting and said "this bull#### does not happen, and if it does, we will proceed with voiding your contract and cutting you immediately".

His mistake wasnt "not coddling him enough", it was allowing too much BS to happen in the first place.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

They still tried to trade for him.  It absolutely blows my mind with all the talk about culture.  And if he would have said ok, he’d be here doing the same crap.  

But yeah, bullet dodged.

Some of you are obsessed with this guy.  Again, the GM who some of you think is a god tried to get AB, so he thought the same thing.  

And many of you attacked Bean and blew snot bubbles when it did not happen; but this TBD - you get to have it both ways!

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Tell us then?

if you owned or managed a business how would you handle your employees repeatedly not showing up for work?

Ok this is my last comment because you guys care a heck of a lot more about this than I do, but got like 30 replies. ???

You and the others are completely missing the point.  I didn’t say not to hold him responsible, I said how he handled the relationship with AB.  You guys can’t seem to separate the difference in holding someone accountable and how you go about holding someone accountable.  

I have literally explained my reasoning at least 10 times now and everyone keeps replying with the same comments that aren’t even what I am saying.

Mayock took a hard line stance with a diva player.  Never going to work with a guy like Brown.  AB doesn’t respond well if he doesn’t feel like he can trust someone like Mayock or if he feels disrespected.  As a GM, you have to understand that and taking those comments in August to the media was a big mistake by Mayock.  He shound have kept it private and talked to AB man to man only.  He could have sat AB down man to man and discussed their stance in the fines instead of sending him a letter too.

It’s  just my opinion, but I called this when Mayock made those comments in august that he was going to lose the trust of AB and something small was gonna set up a blowout.  

And I honestly don’t care at all about the Raiders, AB, etc.  But also just trying to respect posters here and respond but now it’s too much to keep up with.  My simple opinion is that Mayock handled AB poorly and while AB is obviously to blame, Mayock also hasn’t helped the situation and contributed to turbulent relationship with AB.

And, why is it only Mayock has a bad relationship with AB?  I mean no one else on the Raiders has this bad relationship with him.  All his coaches and trainers seem to love him and players have all seem to have taken to him too.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Frankly, I think Mayock's biggest mistake was allowing ANY of it to go on at all. The second the helmet stuff started, Mayock should have called AB and his agent into a meeting and said "this bull#### does not happen, and if it does, we will proceed with voiding your contract and cutting you immediately".

His mistake wasnt "not coddling him enough", it was allowing too much BS to happen in the first place.

And AB and his agent would have said thank you, we finally have complete control of the situation.  Exactly what he wanted in the first place.  He forced his way out of Pittsburgh by acting like an idiot.  Now he is doing the same in Oakland.    Hopefully they trade him to Arizona and call it a day.