Your unpopular ideas

Virgil

10 hours ago, zonabb said:

I think over time, the NFL is going to struggle to retain and grow fans. Less kids play and will play, except in the south where shots to the head don't have the same impact. Soccer, especially the EPL is a better sport, especially on TV. No roided up former players screaming ridiculously obvious hot takes passed off as "color analysis". Their pre-game, halftime, and post game shows are top notch affairs, again well spoken, intelligent, analytical takes at a standard volume, no Berman-esque stupidity aimed at children and frat boys. And the games take less than two hours of your time. Pick a team, tune in and enjoy. 

That is all. 

Hmm. See I am the other way on this having grown up with soccer and played it and coached it to a semi-pro level. I think most of the fomer players doing the color analysis suck. And while soccer doesn't have the same concussion issues as the NFL it does have them - I spoke in the shout box the other day of my own dad's issues (he was a pro-soccer player though never made the Premier League level) with brain degradation attributed to endless heading of the ball. But the main flipside argument I make (and soccer still remains my first love sporting wise) is that soccer has essentially become a predictable, financially doped product that has lost some of the charm it once had. At the top 6 clubs (including the one I have supported my whole life) play real life fantasy football with their millions while famous, old reputable clubs struggle to even survive. The NFL has a sustainable financial model that keeps 32 teams in existance and operation. Of the 92 professional soccer clubs in England last year only 12 turned a profit. The rest are piling up losess upon losses upon losses. Bury FC - formed in the 1880s and members of the football league for over 120 years - went bust this week. 20 years ago they beat Manchester City on equal terms in a league game. Today 1 day of Man City's wage budget would have kept Bury in business. Instead that community is without a team.

Soccer is a great game. The EPL is a great product. But look a bit deeper and it has just as many of its own problems as the NFL does.

9 hours ago, NickelCity said:

I actually agree with a ton of what he said. Especially when the EPL comparison begins.

Love gameday. Love being in New Era. I’ve literally never had an issue conversing with somebody right beside me. That zonabb is apparently just a miserable human being.... And soccer????? LOL. Okaaayyy. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

On 8/28/2019 at 4:20 AM, GunnerBill said:

Do you think the existing PAT system is working? I am not wedded to a way to change it but I hate what we have now. I'd even rather go back to the kick that was basically automatic. 

I would move the PAT to the 5 yard line for either 1 or 2 points. However, no holder. Drop kick for 1. Might just eliminate the holder all together from the kicking game. 50+ yard field goals are routine, teams are almost guaranteed 3 points once inside the opponents 35 yard line. With all the rule changes over the years favoring the offense, something should be done to help out the defense.

On 8/28/2019 at 1:20 AM, GunnerBill said:

Do you think the existing PAT system is working? I am not wedded to a way to change it but I hate what we have now. I'd even rather go back to the kick that was basically automatic. 

I do, in fact. I think one of the exciting things that happens in team sports (all of them, really) is that the game can occasionally come down to one guy being able to execute their role. One muffed PAT can cost the game. Yes, I like that. It's one of the things that defines "any given Sunday."

4 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I do, in fact. I think one of the exciting things that happens in team sports (all of them, really) is that the game can occasionally come down to one guy being able to execute their role. One muffed PAT can cost the game. Yes, I like that. It's one of the things that defines "any given Sunday."

I think I'd take the kicker out of it.  1 play from the 5 - 1 point.  1 play from the 10 - 2 point.  It shouldn't be a guaranteed 1 (mostly guaranteed after they pushed it back), or essentially a slightly better than 50/50 proposition for 2.  

1 minute ago, stony said:

Tim Horton's coffee is quite bad. 

A double double tastes fine - then you realize its like 5 creams and 5 sugars.... not exactly healthy for your waist-line.

1. Ernie Adams/Pats still engage in spygate like tactics, which means NFL should suspend Adams for life

2. The nfl/goodell covered up spygate initially and the other owners were aware of it (but knew if they talked the league could suffer), which means goodell should be fired (he also covered up early studies of cte and concussion)

3. The radio in brady’s helmet is on during plays (telling him who to throw to) when communications between the sideline and the field are supposed to be cut off with 15 seconds left on the snap clock. Take away all communications in helmets. 

4. Some teams need to return home: the colts to Baltimore, the titans to Houston (to become the oilers again), the Cardinals to St. Louis, etc. and some teams need to be shut down (Jacksonville, Carolina, Texans)

5. Tampa Bay needs to go back to their orange jerseys and helmets

6. The 85 bears were the best nfl team of all time 

7. We would have won super bowl 34 had our owner not told Wade to start Johnson over flutie at the immaculate deception game at Tennessee 

8. Raiders should have moved to San Antonio or Oklahoma City instead of Vegas 

9. Seeing players suffer lifetime injuries makes it harder and harder for me to enjoy football at all levels 

10. We need a realignment of divisions in nfl based on proximity

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, zonabb said:

I think over time, the NFL is going to struggle to retain and grow fans. Less kids play and will play, except in the south where shots to the head don't have the same impact. Soccer, especially the EPL is a better sport, especially on TV. No roided up former players screaming ridiculously obvious hot takes passed off as "color analysis". Their pre-game, halftime, and post game shows are top notch affairs, again well spoken, intelligent, analytical takes at a standard volume, no Berman-esque stupidity aimed at children and frat boys. And the games take less than two hours of your time. Pick a team, tune in and enjoy.

lol soccer. Especially EPL soccer which is aimed at an audience of violent drunken hooligans.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Hmm. See I am the other way on this having grown up with soccer and played it and coached it to a semi-pro level. I think most of the fomer players doing the color analysis suck. And while soccer doesn't have the same concussion issues as the NFL it does have them - I spoke in the shout box the other day of my own dad's issues (he was a pro-soccer player though never made the Premier League level) with brain degradation attributed to endless heading of the ball. But the main flipside argument I make (and soccer still remains my first love sporting wise) is that soccer has essentially become a predictable, financially doped product that has lost some of the charm it once had. At the top 6 clubs (including the one I have supported my whole life) play real life fantasy football with their millions while famous, old reputable clubs struggle to even survive. The NFL has a sustainable financial model that keeps 32 teams in existance and operation. Of the 92 professional soccer clubs in England last year only 12 turned a profit. The rest are piling up losess upon losses upon losses. Bury FC - formed in the 1880s and members of the football league for over 120 years - went bust this week. 20 years ago they beat Manchester City on equal terms in a league game. Today 1 day of Man City's wage budget would have kept Bury in business. Instead that community is without a team.

Soccer is a great game. The EPL is a great product. But look a bit deeper and it has just as many of its own problems as the NFL does.

Did you catch the Steve Dale interview this week on BBC (maybe Sky)?  What a f-ing crook. 

2 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Fair enough. I can't stand it. It is my least favourite of all the changes made in recent years.

1 hour ago, stony said:

Did you catch the Steve Dale interview this week on BBC (maybe Sky)?  What a f-ing crook. 

Was on BBC radio, yea. Arrogant idiot.

The EFL is not fit for purpose though. I gave that advice to a Parliamentary Select Commitee about 9 years ago. Until the regulatory bodies take some responsibility this sort of absolute nonsense will continue to happen.

On 8/26/2019 at 11:14 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Sucked as GM.  Made a poor decision in Super Bowl vs Giants.  The only one they should have won.  Run the freaking ball!!!!

let his team go out partying before SB's also.  

On 8/27/2019 at 4:13 PM, Bad Things said:

For Pete’s sake, I honestly don’t understand how/why some people just need to complain and whine about anything and everything.

We all come to TSW because we’re all fans of what may be one of the most painfully unsuccessful sports franchises in history. 

Through all of those awful years, we really had only one golden era.  The Superbowl era.

So, instead of talking about those times nostalgically, you need to revise history and call the best coach in our franchise’s history, a crappy Head Coach?

That’s pretty sad if you ask me.

this is an unpopular idea thread.   Don't knock his unpopular idea!!!!!  

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, zonabb said:

As a lifelong WNYer and STH, I do not think we owe the Pegulas one penny to build a new stadium and if that means he packs up and take his team elsewhere, so be it. Decades of corporate welfare have gotten this region and its rank and file people where exactly? End it with a big fat no to the fracking king. He doesn't need the money, period. 

The stadium experience at NEF gets worse every year. The train horn is unbearable. You can't talk to people during commercials because they don't want to do anything other than listen to commercials at 150 dB and the concession prices are outrageous...I might have maybe one or two beers the entire year, never eat food because it sucks; they should be required to have drinking fountains and refilling stations (save me the fear-mongering about allowing refillable containers into the stadium, my old man used to bring in Thermos of hot chocolate) 

That is all. 

May want to check out the rates of CTE among soccer players as well.  Odd how many concussions you get hitting a ball with your head.     I would think a person who prefers well spoken, intelligent, and analytical takes at a standard volume would have researched them prior to posting something demeaning a portion of their country, children and frat boys.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/26/2019 at 7:42 PM, Virgil said:

-It’s okay for the Colts fans to want season ticket refunds.  For starters, they are total asshats for booing Luck.  However, people bought a product based off an expectation.  Season tickets sales are typically higher for competitive teams unless you’re a stupid Bills fan.  The Colts just became a long shot to make the playoffs and thus, the product changed.  Does that not merit a refund?

He effectively retired due to lingering injuries.  If you start refunding fans money every time an injury effects the teams chances of winning games, you are on a slippery slope. Even with the unfortunate timing, a true fan still cheers for their team, even against all odds. Suck it up and cheer for the players who did not retire and if you don’t want to attend the games, sell your tickets.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, major said:

9. Seeing players suffer lifetime injuries makes it harder and harder for me to enjoy football at all levels 

10. We need a realignment of divisions in nfl based on proximity

Two of the best opinions i've read. 

We are watching the downfall of the game happen right in front of us. 

On 8/26/2019 at 10:58 PM, whatdrought said:

- At it’s base, football is descended from the gladiatorial games of Ancient Rome and it’s indicitive of our society that it has surpassed more civilized sports like golf and baseball to win the hearts of the common citizenry. 

- People who say football is dumb (typically women, in my expirience) are simply insecure in their inability to understand the minutiae of the game. 

- Never trust a man who doesn’t like football.

- Never trust a man who doesn’t have a proper understanding of some self defense implement (from martial arts, to guns, to knives, whatever)

- Men with long hair are fundamentally worthless- some exceptions apply.

- Higher education in the world today is largely useless and an obscene waste of money. 

- A large majority of the social Ills facing our country are a result of government based school systems. 

- Bill Bellichick is kind of likable- *vomits* 

Is it okay that I read this in Ron Swanson's voice?

• Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, zonabb said:

As a lifelong WNYer and STH, I do not think we owe the Pegulas one penny to build a new stadium and if that means he packs up and take his team elsewhere, so be it. Decades of corporate welfare have gotten this region and its rank and file people where exactly? End it with a big fat no to the fracking king. He doesn't need the money, period. 

The stadium experience at NEF gets worse every year. The train horn is unbearable. You can't talk to people during commercials because they don't want to do anything other than listen to commercials at 150 dB and the concession prices are outrageous...I might have maybe one or two beers the entire year, never eat food because it sucks; they should be required to have drinking fountains and refilling stations (save me the fear-mongering about allowing refillable containers into the stadium, my old man used to bring in Thermos of hot chocolate) 

That is all. 

Not to mention that football stadiums are not particularly good investments for smaller and mid-sized markets. Metlife Stadium in the largest market in the USA which also houses 2 football teams (thus guaranteeing 20 dates plus playoff games possibly) and the stadium only sees about 30-35 dates a year. An arena can at least house 70 dates a year or more even if you only have one NHL/NBA team in there. 

An arena housing an NHL team gets 45-60 dates from hockey, 15-20 concerts a year (much easier to sell out a 17k arena) and probably 10-15 other types of dates (WWE. Monster Jam, Disney on Ice, MMA etc.) Meanwhile a big football stadium sits empty for 345 days a year even if you get a college team in there to fill up 5 extra dates a year that’s still not great. 

I think that spending tax payer money on either is foolish but it seems extra foolish to spend more on an NFL stadium. I think that the only thing tax payers should spend money on is issuing a loan for infrastructure to the roads and bridges in the surrounding area (the loan being paid back with the parking money the stadium generates) that’s about it. I don’t think tax payers should be on the hook for billionaires. As sad as it would be to see the Bills leave Buffalo the city of Buffalo doesn’t need to do anything more than that for a stadium. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/27/2019 at 12:07 AM, Ethan in Portland said:

1. Marv Levy does not belong in HOF. He was worse than Brandon as a GM

2. Talley does not belong on Wall

3. I love Thurman, but OJ is still the best RB in Bills history. Bruce Smith is greatest Bill ever

4. If Bills played in NFC, the SuperBowl teams would have been lucky to make one

5. Kaepernick is better than 28 of the 32 backup QBs and probably better than three starters - Fitz, Eli(at this point in career), and Keenum

6. Tom Flores and Don Coryell belong in the HOF. Tasker and Hull do not. 

7.  Dick Jauron was better than most people think. Team played hard for him, rarely were blown out like the current HC is on a frequent basis, often had his team in a position to compete, and was handicapped as much as any HC by lack of talent at QB.  What cost him was playing not to lose down the stretch of games instead of going for the knockout.

In my unbiased opinion, Case Keenum is one of the greatest quarterbacks to ever touch the ball in the history of the game.