Your unpopular ideas

Virgil

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Josh McDaniels neither went to the playoffs, nor won a playoff game with Tim Tebow. He drafted tim Tebow. Then he got fired. Fox was the coach by the Tebow year. 

Yeah, you are right on the Tebow stuff.. I had the wrong year..... ooooooops ..

Nevertheless.. He will be a great head coach after BB hangs it up or someone offers him something he can't turn down. He is a genius.

Gase sucks. 

We will see this year

Agree to an extent on Gore though still good to see him in the colours one of my favourite players in the league. 

Star is average and overpaid. 

I disagree about Star.... I always wonder if people watch him actually play and understand the DT position.

I like the owner’s idea for an 18 game schedule with players only allowed to play 16 games and having an expanded roster. This has gotten a lot of flak on this board but it’s an idea that I’ve thought was the only way to get to 18 games.

Having players sit 2 games a season is really not that impactful as many players already miss that many games (or should) just due to injuries. Sure people might be pissed they went to a game with the backup QB but choosing which game to start your backup would require strategy (out of conference road games with weak opponents?). 

Teams with good depth would really shine in this system and individual stars would be less impactful across an entire season.

Would you rather see an additional 2 preseason games or 2 regular season games where you average less than 2 starters per game sitting out. Every other sport with a long season has “breaks” for their players. The brutal game of football is behind the times.

My 2 cents.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, warrior9 said:

I disagree about Star.... I always wonder if people watch him actually play and understand the DT position.

I do. I don't think he sucks. He is just average and plays a position that it is not prudent to allocate big cap $$s to in my mind. And the Bills overpaid him. 

14 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

-Josh McDaniels will be the next great head coach. In fact, I'd rather have him over McDermott (and i like McDermott)

Much of Tom Brady's success should be attributed to him. He did have a weird falling out with the Broncos but he went to the playoffs and won a game with Tim Tebow. 

His game planning is unreal. He knows his offenses weaknesses and covers them significantly. 

There are plenty of coaches that got a second chance and turned out to be great. (BB, Pete Carroll, JDR unjustly fired, Kubiak, etc etc)

-Adam Gase is a better head coach than Bills fans want to believe. He was left talentless and injury ridden in Miami.

-The Bills do not need Frank Gore and he shouldn't be on this team.

-Star gets a lot of flack for some reason around here and i think he is a very good football player

What evidence do you have to support your claim about Gase? He had Peyton Manning to run the offense in Denver.  I agree he had little talent in Miami but he had some talent on offense.

18 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I never thought Jim Kelly was a genuine good guy until this cancer scare.

Ralph Wilson was a crap owner.

Those 90's Bills teams deserve more scrutiny than they get for their immaturity and excuses. (Thurman losing his helmet in a freaking SB, what a joke... he gave up). 

Kelly was known to be the biggest A hole ever...to kids adults, anyone who disrupted him.  Lots of rumors of domestic abuse, none really confirmed though.  Agree on Wilson in the sense he was not a drive the team to win no matter what, it was more business than sport to him.

I think the 1990 team lost the SB because they did not prepare well, partying all week......Levy said let them police themselves or whatever, no curfew.   Don't really agree on the Thurman/helmet thing.  If his story is true, which I believe him, I don't fault him much.  He had a habit of putting his helmet in a particular spot during pregame, because it was the SB with lots of other crap happening, someone moved it.  You could say he should have recognized that and kept it with him I guess.  What do you mean he gave up?  During the game or because of the helmet thing?

1 minute ago, BisonMan said:

I like the owner’s idea for an 18 game schedule with players only allowed to play 16 games and having an expanded roster. This has gotten a lot of flak on this board but it’s an idea that I’ve thought was the only way to get to 18 games.

Having players sit 2 games a season is really not that impactful as many players already miss that many games (or should) just due to injuries. Sure people might be pissed they went to a game with the backup QB but choosing which game to start your backup would require strategy (out of conference road games with weak opponents?). 

Teams with good depth would really shine in this system and individual stars would be less impactful across an entire season.

Would you rather see an additional 2 preseason games or 2 regular season games where you average less than 2 starters per game sitting out. Every other sport with a long season has “breaks” for their players. The brutal game of football is behind the times.

My 2 cents.

18 games will happen at some point IMO. I'm not a lover of the players playing 16 games thing though. I think the way to get the NFLPA to agree is to introduce a minimum guarantee % on contracts and a 2nd bye week. So you play 18 games over 20 weeks, reduce pre-season games and maybe have a 50% minimum contract guarantee. 

6 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

What evidence do you have to support your claim about Gase? He had Peyton Manning to run the offense in Denver.  I agree he had little talent in Miami but he had some talent on offense.

Tannehil and Jay Cutler (retired and unretired) and still managing to win 7 games. 

Went to the play offs with Tannehil as his QB. I think Darnold is much better than Tannehil with a much better supporting cast. We will see this year. I hope i'm wrong......

Edited by warrior9

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

18 games will happen at some point IMO. I'm not a lover of the players playing 16 games thing though. I think the way to get the NFLPA to agree is to introduce a minimum guarantee % on contracts and a 2nd bye week. So you play 18 games over 20 weeks, reduce pre-season games and maybe have a 50% minimum contract guarantee. 

damn it .  I was too slow again  :lol:

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

57 minutes ago, dpberr said:

If the NFL was serious about making game day a true family experience, they'd get rid of beer sales.  They aren't....and they aren't.  

The "Bills Mafia" is a moronic name for a fan group.  

If you need alcohol to enjoy football, you have a drinking problem.

The NFL is beginning its fade part of the business cycle.  

The NFL would be better with less teams and a minor league system for not just players but officiating and front office to learn the ropes.

However, the NFL will survive so long as there are athletically gifted poor kids willing to risk their long term health for scholarships and paychecks.

Rex Ryan played a large part in ending the NFL careers of Mario Williams and Marcel Dareus.  

It's a fine line between "need," and "want."

Maybe one could say: If you need alcohol to enjoy football, you have a drinking problem. If want alcohol to enjoy football, you have a drinking solution.

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If they ever institute an 18 game week, I would expect them to add a bye week, and raise the roster number by a some amount.

Edited by Rocky Landing

McDermott should be fired if the Bills don’t make the playoffs.  No excuses.

There, I said it.  It’s time for some urgency and some accountability around here.  Our standards have been too low for too long.

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I never thought Jim Kelly was a genuine good guy until this cancer scare.

Ralph Wilson was a crap owner.

Those 90's Bills teams deserve more scrutiny than they get for their immaturity and excuses. (Thurman losing his helmet in a freaking SB, what a joke... he gave up). 

This probably is unpopular, here.

But man, is it the Truth.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, warrior9 said:

-Josh McDaniels will be the next great head coach. In fact, I'd rather have him over McDermott (and i like McDermott)

Much of Tom Brady's success should be attributed to him. He did have a weird falling out with the Broncos but he went to the playoffs and won a game with Tim Tebow. 

His game planning is unreal. He knows his offenses weaknesses and covers them significantly. 

There are plenty of coaches that got a second chance and turned out to be great. (BB, Pete Carroll, JDR unjustly fired, Kubiak, etc etc)

-Adam Gase is a better head coach than Bills fans want to believe. He was left talentless and injury ridden in Miami.

-Star gets a lot of flack for some reason around here and i think he is a very good football player

-I don't think Josh McDaniels will be the next great head coach. He has horrible people skills, has a reputation as a sh*t-talker and a backstabber and of never being honest and forthright with players and fellow coaches. And him backing out on Indy adds to his already dumper of a reputation. He thinks he's the smartest guy in the room even if he was in a room full of Mensa scholars. 

-Adam Gase might be a good X's and O's guy but he can't bring together a team. Time and again those Miami teams would quit on him the minute adversity struck and he was never really able to rally his guys.

-I agree on Lotulelei, and it kinda coincides with one of my unpopular (I guess?) takes for this... the Bills sign certain players for things they do besides their on-field work. Lotulelei is here because he's the kind of guy McDermott wants younger players to model their approach after. Same as Gore, same as DiMarco. He goes about his business and does whatever the team asks of him without caring if he shows up on the stat sheet. 

-I don't give a rats behind what OJ Simpson did on the field, he's dead to me and I'd like to see his name removed from the wall and his HoF bust pitched into the ocean. Guy is a skidmark in Bills history.

-Five or ten years after he hangs it up there'll be a massive story on Tom Brady and all the crazy illegal substances he used to keep playing until 45. 

-Bill Belichick is one of them crab-people from South Park. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1. Tom Brady made Bill Belichick.  BB was 41-55 as a head coach prior to Brady, had one winning season in the 6 without Brady.   Hasnt had a losing season since.

2. College Athletes should not be paid.   They get free education, free food, free housing, free medical attention, and leave college with a degree if they have any sort of foresight.   Additionally, many of them leave school with no student loan debt.    I understand coaches make millions, but every business, and I am sorry but college is a business, has a wage scale.  If they dont like not being paid, they could always get a job right out of high school.

3. I know Aaron Rodgers is good, I see it in the stats and the wins.  Yet, there is a small part of me that thinks he is overrated. 

4. I love the color rush jerseys and hate the white on blue uniforms.

• Like (+1) 2

ncaa football players should only play for schools which they academically (im willing to flex a tiny bit, but no 3rd grade readers going to Florida State, gotta be 7th grade like everyone else!) qualify.  bring back amateurism to college sports and make a dev league for the nfl.  you'd still get some smart good athletes out of college, and most of the limb rippers would come from the dev league.  

people arguing that Kap and the kneelers had a right to do what they did during the anthem ignore the fact that the NFL regulates so many aspects of player lives (and some i think go beyond the pale, like punishing guys for crimes which they did not get convicted for, mainly i have an issue with how nontransparent it all is): you don't get to just do what you want at work.  if a player decided to turn his back to the field and throw up a roman salute, or moon the crowd would the support be the same?  obviously not.

the NFL is getting dangerously close to the NBA in that they have a bit of a star culture (way way less bad than the NBA), and they are doing some really goofy stuff wrt enforcing rules (the NBA allows blatant travelling and cupping the ball if it's done smoothly, the NFL just allows pick plays if they are cleverly run).  the worst rule is the defenseless receiver one.  let the defender murder the guy as long as he doesn't lead w a head or elbow, or target the head.

rod woodson was the greatest DB of all time

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

If they ever institute an 18 game week, I would expect them to add a bye week, and raise the roster number by a some amount.

Yep increased roster too. 60 players. 2 byes. Minimum guaranteed %. 2 pre-season games.

There is a lot there for the NFLPA to like.