Sad news from S WV

LewPort71

Our 12 year old dog, Calie, had to be put down last night.  She was a puggle and a great dog. Beginning in early August

she became mopey and less than enthusiastic about eating.  This was a huge red flag as she usually inhaled her food.

She spent time at the vets and they found a mass on her spleen. She had some other issues with abnormal white

cell counts.  She was put on antibiotics and steroids.  She had many great days but some bad days.

A bad day was marked by sleeping and staying in one location all days.  Normal days were spent following Mrs. Lew and I all over the house.

Friday night I opened the door and she was resting in a very unusual place for her.  I tried to take her out

but her back legs were non-functional.  Erratic breathing and a tongue that was more grey than pink, told me it was 'time'

I texted the vet and he told us to bring her there.  A  final good bye with my daughter and grandson occurred.  

When we got to the vet, I held her with a towel and her breathing was all over the place.  Her eyes were twitching too.

After an exam, the vet said, "It's time."   We stayed in the room for the end and the tears flowed like Niagara Falls.

(like they are now)

This was my daughters dog and she asked if we could have the body cremated and save the ashes.

This morning was the first days since 1995, I have not walked one or two dogs for their morning 'outside'

Go hug your critters for us., 

Edited by LewPort71
  • Sad 11

Sorry for your loss. It’s tough losing a close friend (pet). 

I went through something similar with my 2 dogs in recent years. Lost one to cancer and the other to old age within a year of each other. 

I said that that I was going to take a break from owning dogs after we lost the last one. I made it 2 weeks. Went to the SPCA to “just look” and came home with a new dog. The house was just way too empty without any dogs. I couldn’t do it. 

I felt a bit guilty about replacing my dog so quickly but I am so glad I got a new dog. It really helps fill that hole in your heart and gives you something else to focus on besides missing your dog. 

Again, I am sorry for your loss. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, LewPort71 said:

Our 12 year old dog, Calie, had to be put down last night.  She was a puggle and a great dog. Beginning in early August

she became mopey and less than enthusiastic about eating.  This was a huge red flag as she usually inhaled her food.

She spent time at the vets and they found a mass on her spleen. She had some other issues with abnormal white

cell counts.  She was put on antibiotics and steroids.  She had many great days but some bad days.

A bad day was marked by sleeping and staying in one location all days.  Normal days were spent following Mrs. Lew and I all over the house.

Friday night I opened the door and she was resting in a very unusual place for her.  I tried to take her out

but her back legs were non-functional.  Erratic breathing and a tongue that was more grey than pink, told me it was 'time'

I texted the vet and he told us to bring her there.  A  final good bye with my daughter and grandson occurred.  

When we got to the vet, I held her with a towel and her breathing was all over the place.  Her eyes were twitching too.

After an exam, the vet said, "It's time."   We stayed in the room for the end and the tears flowed like Niagara Falls.

(like they are now)

This was my daughters dog and she asked if we could have the body cremated and save the ashes.

This morning was the first days since 1995, I have not walked one or two dogs for their morning 'outside'

Hey man, it’s customary for you to post a pic of Calie for the rest of us to enjoy. Well, maybe not “customary”...but, I’d enjoy seeing a pic of her and the joy she brought to the world. 

My condolences, Lewport71. 

Missus #81 has been a vet tech for 22 years. At least 3 days a week she comes home crying for the loss of one of her patients, new or an old friend. They have a small ‘chapel room’ and light a candle for every ending. The other side of the job is routine injuries inflicted by her scared visitors -she was at Urgent Care Friday for a biting/clawing episode. She loves taking care of animals so much, the grieving and injuries are overcome. I so admire her and know I couldn’t do it.

Friday’s mishap.

C5C892DF-652D-43AF-9620-9E53EB575DCB.jpeg

• Sad 2

I’m so sorry form your loss. They truly are family. The house will feel “quiet” for a while, with something clearly missing, but she’s still in your heart. 

My 10 year old Golden is starting to lose a step. She perks up when my son’s hyper one year old Labradoodle arrives. Loves to play and tug on toys together.  I got her as a birthday present. We love seeing her playful and happy, and I mentioned how much she loves having a playmate. My wife was instantly on the website of our breeder. I have another birthday coming up.....we’ll see.....it would take some of the sting out of the day Gracie reaches the end of this life. Could be a win/win. 

18 hours ago, LewPort71 said:

(like they are now)

So sorry for your loss. Fur babies are always the toughest loss. Just know that Calie loved you and your family. She was always grateful to have you in her life. She will be there, wagging her tail, waiting for you at the rainbow bridge. 

I remember telling our son our last dog had passed unexpectedly while he was at school. He was heartbroken, and his only words were “I wish I had played with her more”. We can all learn from that, and it’s not just for dogs! I just took my dog to the park where she got to wag her tail at all the people playing soccer and softball.

(Now the wife and I are off to the PGA Championship!) 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, LewPort71 said:

One poster asked for a pic, so here is the best I can do with my limited skills.

and thanks for all the kind words.

calie small.JPG

She was a beautiful pup.

Puggles are such loving dogs.

I'm sure she loved her family as much as you loved her.

I am terribly sorry for your loss.  

• Like (+1) 1

Like everyone else who has responded to this thread, I share your pain and grief. It never gets any easier. If there is a positive side to these things, I think that it reminds us that life is too short - for both us and our furry friends. And despite the pain and heartache we feel at times like this that it reminds us to treat each other and our pets humanely and with compassion. How we treat our pets says a lot about us.  

Sorry for your loss, we've been through it a few times, you will always remember the years of joy they bring, but the last memory is the one that stings. Time will tell you when it is right to get another. We lost ours three years ago and have yet to get up the nerve to do it again. My daughter has a hound that we babysit on occasion and that is just about enough for us right now.