Clowney Trending for some reason.

MAJBobby

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Not really a homer at all, I’m just a realist. The middle to back of the Bills roster is really strong. They need stars and top end talent. This isn’t going to be a year where they sign 18 FAs again (or whatever it was). They are going to target some impact players (ie Clowney) and pull the trigger. 

Yes to everything. I would also add that acquiring a top shelf defensive end does not mean you believe you're one piece away. It means you have an opportunity to acquire a STUD and you're willing to pony up. This is especially true when you're talking about a young player like Clowney.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Cotton Fitzsimmons said:

In all seriousness, rumors and INCARCERATED BOB tweets aside... why was Nsekhe held out of practice? Maybe YE OLE is behind on the inner workings of this story, but is it still the case that nobody has asked about this and it hasn’t been addressed by the team? 

Clowney aside, it’s a bizarre situation not to address at all.

Think I read that Long was playing RG, Ford at RT.  Might be why Nsekhe wasn't happy about the situation.

Anyway, looks like Feliciano will be the backup center too... Bodine :sick:

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2019/8/14/20805902/nothing-there-between-buffalo-bills-and-houston-texans-on-jadeveon-clowney-per-reports-rumors

Tim Graham of The Athletic reported that a team source told him “Nothing there.” NFL Network’s Mike Garafalo echoed Graham. For John Wawrow of The Associated Press, it was an “LOL”.

Reporter and radio host Benjamin Allbright was in agreement with the others. He did mention that, per his sources, the Bills were one of a half dozen teams to make an inquiry with the Texansabout Clowney, but stressed that nothing was imminent.

8 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s totally fair. I think that’s part of the reason that the Bills added so many guys via the draft and FA over the last few years. They were trying to get more bites at the apple. As an example, I’m not sure if Long or Feliciano or even Spain are that good. Instead of adding one and hoping that they were good the Bills brought them all in to increase their chances of one or 2 being good. It’s the same thing at TE. They brought in 2 vets and drafted 2 more. They all come with questions but you increase your odds by increasing the bodies. It doesn’t necessarily mean that you’ll address the issues but you are certainly more likely too. 

Thank you for completely proving my point in your own words.  There is zero proof that anything has actually been fixed!  They threw a lot of crap at the wall and hope it sticks.  Most of the signings they had in the off season were guys who couldnt hold a starting job where they were, but instead if signing one starter for real money the Bills signed 3 for more money total. 

They then signed the big ticket guy in Morse who has a severe injury history, boom he's injured.  They signed Kroft, who had one good half of a season to his credit a and an injury history, boom he's out.  They signed Lee Smith to the roster for ST and blocking, not to be a 7th rounder's back up, Sweeney wasn't a factor at all until injuries to 3 guys in front of him.  You are honestly grasping at straws to prove your idea. 

Now on to the point the Bills have no problem attracting talent. Antonio Brown flat out said no, not that I think anybody wants him now, but thats a top 5 WR in the league saying no.  They signed nobody in the free agency that was anywhere near a top 15 player at their postion, arguably they didnt sign a player thats even a starter elsewhere outside of 2 guys which they paid excessive money for who have huge injury histories (Morse and Kroft). So you threw them the most guaranteed money and they took it.  They signed 2 WR who are historically #3 options on their prior teams and expect that its going to work with no number one.  One of those guys, Beasley, played in that type of non-sense before after the Boys lost Bryant and they floundered.  Brown was ultimately shut down in Baltimore, even before the Flacco injury, because he's basically a poor man's Lee Evans... but again with a  big injury history. 

It's not that I'm being negative here, but to say this team has been improved is not proven, much less, you dont know where they could possibly spend the money to get better.  That's a joke.  Clowney would be a nice player to have, but I'll take more offensive weapons in a big hurry over a guy that's not going to change the outcome of the season.  He's not Mack, he doesn't change the whole game.  He's going to get over 20M when he signs and I don't want to be the team that pays that, because as Coach says AVAILABILITY is a huge part of value to the team.  He's been injured and out a lot too.  Thanks, but no thanks. 

9 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Oh, you’re a real charmer! You’re gonna do well here. I have a sense about these things.

Sorry if the truth dosen't go over well.  I like what the team has done in a lot of ways, but much of what we assume to be improved is just taking other team's borderline starters and put them over players that should be street free agents that were playing important roles here last year.  To say the depth at TE is great because we have a gifted athlete they took in the third round and a bunch of other guys who haven't done much, call me skeptical.  

13 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

The chances of the Bills getting a player like Clowney with a 2nd or 3rd round pick is slim to none.

2nd round pick and a player would be the going rate.

Clowney has a lot of parallels with Watkins as far as raw talent, hype, but injuries and lack of production. And we sent Watkins to the Rams for a 2nd and CB EJ Gaines on a 1 year deal.

Not crazy to think that could be done.

I think it's less likely Clowney would agree to come here (since he holds the cards) than the Texans not taking a 2nd and OL player.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

Thank you for completely proving my point in your own words.  There is zero proof that anything has actually been fixed!  They threw a lot of crap at the wall and hope it sticks.  Most of the signings they had in the off season were guys who couldnt hold a starting job where they were, but instead if signing one starter for real money the Bills signed 3 for more money total. 

They then signed the big ticket guy in Morse who has a severe injury history, boom he's injured.  They signed Kroft, who had one good half of a season to his credit a and an injury history, boom he's out.  They signed Lee Smith to the roster for ST and blocking, not to be a 7th rounder's back up, Sweeney wasn't a factor at all until injuries to 3 guys in front of him.  You are honestly grasping at straws to prove your idea. 

Now on to the point the Bills have no problem attracting talent. Antonio Brown flat out said no, not that I think anybody wants him now, but thats a top 5 WR in the league saying no.  They signed nobody in the free agency that was anywhere near a top 15 player at their postion, arguably they didnt sign a player thats even a starter elsewhere outside of 2 guys which they paid excessive money for who have huge injury histories (Morse and Kroft). So you threw them the most guaranteed money and they took it.  They signed 2 WR who are historically #3 options on their prior teams and expect that its going to work with no number one.  One of those guys, Beasley, played in that type of non-sense before after the Boys lost Bryant and they floundered.  Brown was ultimately shut down in Baltimore, even before the Flacco injury, because he's basically a poor man's Lee Evans... but again with a  big injury history. 

It's not that I'm being negative here, but to say this team has been improved is not proven, much less, you dont know where they could possibly spend the money to get better.  That's a joke.  Clowney would be a nice player to have, but I'll take more offensive weapons in a big hurry over a guy that's not going to change the outcome of the season.  He's not Mack, he doesn't change the whole game.  He's going to get over 20M when he signs and I don't want to be the team that pays that, because as Coach says AVAILABILITY is a huge part of value to the team.  He's been injured and out a lot too.  Thanks, but no thanks. 

Sorry if the truth dosen't go over well.  I like what the team has done in a lot of ways, but much of what we assume to be improved is just taking other team's borderline starters and put them over players that should be street free agents that were playing important roles here last year.  To say the depth at TE is great because we have a gifted athlete they took in the third round and a bunch of other guys who haven't done much, call me skeptical.  

Not proving your point at all. Last year Ducasse and Bodine started. This year they are 3rd string or off the roster. Teller got bumped down a spot. Foster and Zay got bumped down the depth chart, etc... This isn’t that complicated AT ALL. The depth on the roster is really strong. The top of the depth chart is where they need to improve. And guess what? When that happens the depth improves even more!! 

Come on man, do better 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DCofNC said:

This is false. In the 9 games he played with Flacco, he had 34 receptions for 601 yards (prorated over 16 games - 60 receptions for 1,068 yards, 17.8 ypr, and 7.5 TDs, which is obviously very good). In Flacco's final start, Brown was targeted 6 times (3 catches for 15 yds) but he also was the beneficiary of a DPI call on Pittsburgh on a bomb that moved the Ravens 33 yards down the field.  ALL of his decline last year can be attributed to Jackson. Jackson threw 31 passes his way, and only 8 resulted in completions. 

As for the ups and downs of his receiving numbers while Flacco was in there, ALL receivers have spiky game-by-game stats. 

Also, his "big injury history" has caused him to miss 7 games in 5 seasons (and none last season).  He's basically pretty durable. Just about every player who plays for half a decade has a stint or two on the injury list.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, njbuff said:

This thing finally looks like it’s dead.

Now we can get back to critiquing every SINGLE throw Allen makes (Jesus H Christ).

?

Always wondered what the "H" stands for....

Harry?

Howard?

Hector? 

13 hours ago, unbillievable said:

I think the Texans and Clowney think he is worth Mack compensation in picks and money. I see another Lev'eon Bell situation happening.

They gave Mario a 2nd contract. And they let him go when they hit cap hell.

The current Texans have 36 mil in space.

Problem (for the Texans) is he can’t sign an extension this season. So he is basically a one year rental therefore reducing his value. 

It would actually be a perfect situation. Allen has two more years before he can be extended. If they got Clowney for this season, not only would we not have to extend him, but we wouldn’t be able to.

They could franchise him (and let him walk after 2020, netting a 3rd rd comp pick) or extend him the following year when we have more information about what tre White and Dawkins and even Allen/Edmunds extensions might be worth.