Rant:

6 minutes ago, shrader said:

Why do smoke detector batteries only die in the middle of the night?  Thanks a lot, smoke detector.  I don't have a spare 9 volt in the house and all stores are closed.  I know your battery is dead and I can't fix that.  There's really no need to chirp at me all night.  And since you're hard-wired into an electrical source anyway, how the hell are you draining that batter so fast anyway?

Even worse... Smoke detectors since approx. 2010... Have a 10 year life.  Once you fire up with first battery the clock is ticking. Can't reset even with fresh battery.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Why do most of you mouth breathing morons think all your wildly inconsiderate, dangerous, me first actions are clever?  Everyone is out to game the system in some way.  Whether its leaving your shopping cart to free float around the parking lot, parking in spots that aren't spots to avoid walking 20 feet, taking a full cart through the express lane for shorter lines, etc. it seems like most of the general public has found some type of "life hack" where they save precious seconds at the expense of decent society.

Its not only the pinnacle of asshattery but its extremely short sighted due to basic game theory.  The more you inspire other dumb ***** to pursue similar actions the less the advantage for bad behavior.  The end game is a scenario like Idiocracy with a bunch of morons in a pile desperately trying f@#$ one another first.  When no one plays fair everyone is worse off.

" You know what I'm gonna do?
I'm gonna get myself a 1967 Cadillac Eldorado convertible
Hot pink, with whale skin hubcaps
And all leather cow interior
And big brown baby seal eyes for head lights (yeah)
And I'm gonna drive in that baby at 115 miles per hour
Gettin' 1 mile per gallon
Sucking down Quarter Pounder cheeseburgers from McDonald's
In the old fashioned non-biodegradable styrofoam containers
And when I'm done sucking down those greaseball burgers
I'm gonna wipe my mouth with the American flag
And then I'm gonna toss the styrofoam containers right out the side
And there ain't a goddamn thing anybody can do about it
You know why, because we've got the bomb, that's why
Two words, nuclear ***** weapons, OK?
Russia, Germany, Romania, they can have all the democracy they want
They can have a big democracy cakewalk
Right through the middle of Tiananmen Square
And it won't make a lick of difference
Because we've got the bombs, OK?
John Wayne's not dead, he's frozen
And as soon as we find a cure for cancer
We're gonna thaw out the Duke and he's gonna be pretty pissed off
You know why
Have you ever taken a cold shower?
Well multiply that by 15 million times
That's how pissed off the Duke's gonna be!
I'm gonna get the Duke, and John Cassavetes
And Lee Marvin, and Sam Peckinpah, and a case of whiskey
And drive down to Texas and..."

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

" You know what I'm gonna do?
I'm gonna get myself a 1967 Cadillac Eldorado convertible
Hot pink, with whale skin hubcaps
And all leather cow interior
And big brown baby seal eyes for head lights (yeah)
And I'm gonna drive in that baby at 115 miles per hour
Gettin' 1 mile per gallon
Sucking down Quarter Pounder cheeseburgers from McDonald's
In the old fashioned non-biodegradable styrofoam containers
And when I'm done sucking down those greaseball burgers
I'm gonna wipe my mouth with the American flag
And then I'm gonna toss the styrofoam containers right out the side
And there ain't a goddamn thing anybody can do about it
You know why, because we've got the bomb, that's why
Two words, nuclear ***** weapons, OK?
Russia, Germany, Romania, they can have all the democracy they want
They can have a big democracy cakewalk
Right through the middle of Tiananmen Square
And it won't make a lick of difference
Because we've got the bombs, OK?
John Wayne's not dead, he's frozen
And as soon as we find a cure for cancer
We're gonna thaw out the Duke and he's gonna be pretty pissed off
You know why
Have you ever taken a cold shower?
Well multiply that by 15 million times
That's how pissed off the Duke's gonna be!
I'm gonna get the Duke, and John Cassavetes
And Lee Marvin, and Sam Peckinpah, and a case of whiskey
And drive down to Texas and..."

You know, you really are an #######???

Two things drive me nuts, and they both involve people being inconsiderate in vehicles:

Why do people park in such a way that turns two parking spots on a curb into one. I live in a neighborhood with extremely limited parking available, and every day, without fail, there is at least one vehicle that has parked dead center in a "two spot" area of curb, effectively turning it into one luxury spot for their stupid car. Why do this? How hard is it to pull up an extra 5 feet to ensure that others can park behind or in front of you? To do this, you must either be so self absorbed that you don't even notice, or so selfish that you don't care. Either is bad.

The other is not using your turn signal when driving your vehicle. Again, how much effort does it take? The flip of a pinky? It is crucially important that the vehicles around you know what you will be doing with YOUR vehicle so that they can react accordingly in THEIR vehicle. This one reeks of total self importance, laziness, and just generally being a bad driver.

Lack of consideration in vehicles drives me nuts.     

Why do women in the grocery store stop at the narrowest bottle neck in the aisle or displays? Why do they pick that exact spot? I swear it's downright evolutionary and deep seated in their psyche or something. Men are aware of their surroundings and will move or find an out of the way spot to stop for the phone or a list. Women are oblivious to people around them and the fact that they and their spawn are sprawled across the entire aisle and no one can get by.

Also, you are headed to the checkout and picking which register to use. You have two choices, both have about an equal amount of stuff on the conveyor. One is a woman and one is a man. Assuming no other factors (the woman isn't hot, neither cashier looks lost, etc.) which register do you choose? I always follow the guy and I swear I'm out of there faster maybe 90% of the time. No coupons, no questions, no paper in plastic with the meat double bagged and that bag is too heavy and....

7 hours ago, LeviF91 said:

Why is it that when he starts a thread that's supposed to contain rants, @Joe in Winslow instead crafts the OP to be basically the same as a pet peeve thread?  Does he not understand what a rant is?  A rant is a goddamn tirade, an abusive, long, angry speech of criticism.  But what does he give us?  Some compact complaint about the morons that he works with, as if that's not a direct indictment of him as simply another representative of the same hiring pool.  Double dumbass on him for not only the self-indictment, but also doubling down with an ill-titled thread.  And the results of this ill-titled thread?  Exactly ONE ***** RANT from ONE QUALITY POSTER.  That's it.  The rest of them I could cut and paste into the pet peeves thread, but I won't because they're shitposters.

***** you, Joe.  *****.  You.

Are you done.........already???

(I hope that’s not something you hear too regularly ?)

6 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

And don’t be that guy in the turn lane already, who pretends not to see the guy with the blinker on desperately trying to merge into said turn lane; I mean really, is it a matter of life or death if you’re the 4th car in line or the 5th??? Will the mac n cheese taste any better or worse if you eat it 20 seconds after you first could have otherwise???

After nearly a decade in Atlanta....I let EVERYBODY in! The way I see it, we’re all in this %$#@ together! Be kind! 

Edited by Augie
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

If you can't drive as least as fast as the speed limit, pull over and let cars pass you!!  I'm trying to get to work here!

Oh... and speaking about work... why can't I bring my dog to work??  She's a GREAT dog.  Quiet, won't crap inside and can sit right beside me in my office.

Heck, she's probably smarter than half the people here!

I want my dog!

Edited by Bad Things
Still ranting!

5 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

And don’t be that guy in the turn lane already, who pretends not to see the guy with the blinker on desperately trying to merge into said turn lane; I mean really, is it a matter of life or death if you’re the 4th car in line or the 5th??? Will the mac n cheese taste any better or worse if you eat it 20 seconds after you first could have otherwise???

And don't be the guy who passed people waiting in line and then expect to be let in at the front.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Logic said:

Why do people park in such a way that turns two parking spots on a curb into one. I live in a neighborhood with extremely limited parking available, and every day, without fail, there is at least one vehicle that has parked dead center in a "two spot" area of curb, effectively turning it into one luxury spot for their stupid car. Why do this? How hard is it to pull up an extra 5 feet to ensure that others can park behind or in front of you? To do this, you must either be so self absorbed that you don't even notice, or so selfish that you don't care. Either is bad. 

I used to live on a side street and that would happen in front of my house. We were one of the few with off street parking. The space between my driveway and my neighbors was long enough to get two cars, maybe three if they were short. I always thought about going out there and painting parking lines on the street to "help" people know where to park. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

And don't be the guy who passed people waiting in line and then expect to be let in at the front.

Sometimes... Cars need to use all lanes available and "zipper it up."

One time in Iowa City... It was freakinng insane, everyone being "too nice" and getting in line early... Thinking they were being "courteous."  Exact opposite. Causing one big line and then that queue getting stuck between two lights.  Construction zone gridlock.  Vehicles should have doubled up and used the merge lane.  Then alternate, zipper it.  It's not being "rude" to use that lane... Can't have one line 5 miles long and vehicles getting caught between lights at light cycles, then like "slack" on a train.

10 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I used to live on a side street and that would happen in front of my house. We were one of the few with off street parking. The space between my driveway and my neighbors was long enough to get two cars, maybe three if they were short. I always thought about going out there and painting parking lines on the street to "help" people know where to park. 

I'm in a fairly quiet suburb, so there's only a few cars street parked at any point.  So for them, it's not really an issue of stealing space.  The thing that drives me crazy though is that with the entire street open, they'll always wind up parking directly across from my driveway.  Maybe I'm the only one who things this way, but when I park on a street, I'm avoiding being near anyone's driveway unless absolutely necessary.  You limit their space if they decide to pull out and it's just asking for the car to get dinged.  It's even worse at my house because my wife is completely unaware of her surroundings while she backs out.  Move the car about 10 feet in either direction and you're completely clear of the driveway.  It's not rocket science.

The worst part is that it has mostly been contractors parking there with their massive trailers.  They wind up parking over a foot away from the curb, making it impossible to get out of the driveway without either hitting my curb or switching between drive and reverse a couple times. 

1 hour ago, unbillievable said:

Why do people feel the need to bring their pets with them, everywhere?

Airplanes, grocery stores... even to work!

Some of us are allergic! It may not be life-threatening, but having a stuffy nose and watery eyes isn't fun.

Because NO ONE is making rules against it for the most part. I also dislike this practice greatly.

Hey dummies - yeah, the 6 of you grouped up having a conversation in the middle of the hall, sidewalk, steps, etc., oblivious to the fact that you're not the only humans on earth - take two steps to the side GTF out of everyone's way!  I'm tryin' to walk here, folks...

And, hey, upstairs neighbor - yeah, you rhino, try walking on some other part of your foot than your heavy-ass heels!  I know you once told me that you "don't even notice the noises", but I DO.  Hence my bringing it up with a look of "I want to karate chop your face" in my eyes...

I could rant endlessly about the general lack of awareness of others people have today. ? :beer: 

2 hours ago, unbillievable said:

Why do people feel the need to bring their pets with them, everywhere?

Airplanes, grocery stores... even to work!

Some of us are allergic! It may not be life-threatening, but having a stuffy nose and watery eyes isn't fun.

Because obviously their emotional support is worth more than your sinuses :P