Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
JoeF

What the hell is wrong with Dawson Knox? Only draftee not signed..(6/14 - Now Signed-Go Dawson!!!)

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

 

And even though he was drafted from Ole Miss, I heard he went to Harvard.

That seems to be the hold up. He was apparently moonlighting as a Harvard Grad student and is closing out his degree in just under 3 months. Just gotta tie up a few loose ends and MAYBE he'll sign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

 

That is COOKIE cutter data 

 

I know the Bills website is slow as a snail but 

https://www.buffalobills.com/team/transactions/

 

MAY

Claimed T De'Ondre Wesley off waivers from Indianapolis. Signed TE Mik'Quan Deane. Released OL Blake Hance and S Abraham Wallace.

Signed DE Jerry Hughes to a two-year contract extension.

Released RB Keith Ford and TE Jake Fisher. Signed TE Lee Smith to a three-year contract. Signed undrafted free agents S Abraham Wallace,TE Moral Stephens, DT Quindarius Thagard and OL Garrett McGhin.

QB Derek Anderson informed the Bills that he has retired from the NFL.

Signed LB Tyrel Dodson, LB Juwan Foggie, QB Tyree Jackson, WR Nick Easley, CB Cam Lewis, WR David Sills, K Chase McLaughlin, and OL Blake Hance to three-year contracts.

Signed DT Ed Oliver, OT Cody Ford, RB Devin Singletary, LB Vosean Joseph, S Jaquan Johnson, DE Darryl Johnson, and TE Tommy Sweeney to four-year contracts.

 

APRIL

Selected Florida LB Vosean Joseph with the No. 147 overall pick, Miami (Fla.) safety Jaquan Johnson with the 181st overall pick, selected North Carolina A&T DE Darryl Johnson with the No. 225 overall pick and Boston College TE Tommy Sweeney with the No. 228 overall pick.

Selected Oklahoma T Cody Ford with the 38th overall pick, RB Devin Singletary with the 74th overall pick and TE Dawson Knox with the 96th overall pick in the 2019 NFL 

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

There are a bunch of third round picks unsigned 

 

Specifically: there are currently 3 players signed between pick 70 and pick 99 (Devin Singletary is one; a third just signed recently)

Something about the rookie cap and later 3rd round picks - more negotiating room, apparently

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/draft/round-3/

Pink is "estimated contract"

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

Specifically: there are currently 3 players signed between pick 70 and pick 99 (Devin Singletary is one; a third just signed recently)

Something about the rookie cap and later 3rd round picks - more negotiating room, apparently

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/draft/round-3/

Pink is "estimated contract"

 

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2016/6/4/11859342/3rd-round-pick-negotiations-reportedly-becoming-interesting-in-the-nfl

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1248192-why-are-there-so-many-3rd-round-nfl-draft-picks-that-are-still-unsigned

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

Specifically: there are currently 3 players signed between pick 70 and pick 99 (Devin Singletary is one; a third just signed recently)

Something about the rookie cap and later 3rd round picks - more negotiating room, apparently

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/draft/round-3/

Pink is "estimated contract"

 

Why Are There so Many 3rd-Round NFL Draft Picks That Are Still Unsigned?

 

Sigmund Bloom -BR (older article but I think it is the same now)

 

"the dispute stems from the "25 percent rule" per Pasquarelli. That is the rule that allows teams to give rookies raises of up to 25 percent of the combined total of their rookie salary and one-quarter of their signing bonus. Pasquarelli ran the numbers for the first pick of the third round, Indianapolis tight end Dwayne Allen. He needs to check his math, but the difference between giving Allen the minimum salaries and giving him the full 25 percent raise is less than four hundred thousand dollars over the life of the contract.  "

 

"What makes this more baffling is that most, if not all of that money is not guaranteed. The difference between the minimum raise and a 25 percent raise is irrelevant if the player is cut before his contract is over. Likewise, if the player becomes quality depth or a starter, the difference in the amount of raise becomes irrelevant because they are playing at a massive discount either way."

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

Specifically: there are currently 3 players signed between pick 70 and pick 99 (Devin Singletary is one; a third just signed recently)

Something about the rookie cap and later 3rd round picks - more negotiating room, apparently

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/draft/round-3/

Pink is "estimated contract"

Agents try to make a stand each year on some kind of contract negotiation. Seems this year they are focusing on those 3rd round picks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

....has to be something in the contract language.........$$$ are set.........

NFL Draft Rookie Contracts: Round 3

Pick Range Total Value Signing Bonus
Picks 65-74 $4,278,420 to $4,028,376 $1,138,382 to $1,031,870
Picks 75-92 $3,975,925 to $3,624,290 $1,002,690 to $863,695
Picks 93-102* $3,458,115 to $3,399,480 $793,704 to $761,516
Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some guys want 'JR' or 'III' added after their last name on the jersey. Knox's agent apparently wants 'FT' added before Dawson's last name...

 

😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ExWNYer said:

Some guys want 'JR' or 'III' added after their last name on the jersey. Knox's agent apparently wants 'FT' added before Dawson's last name...

 

😉

 

...or he wants a date with Pegula's daughter first....it's a TE thing......

  • Haha (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....has to be something in the contract language.........$$$ are set.........

NFL Draft Rookie Contracts: Round 3

Pick Range Total Value Signing Bonus
Picks 65-74 $4,278,420 to $4,028,376 $1,138,382 to $1,031,870
Picks 75-92 $3,975,925 to $3,624,290 $1,002,690 to $863,695
Picks 93-102* $3,458,115 to $3,399,480 $793,704 to $761,516

 

The thing about these 3rd rounders is that it's not set just like the article said that you posted.

Knox is scheduled to make a total of $3,399,480 as pick #96.

If you go to the Spotrac site you will see that picks later in the round have signed for more than that.

Grier at pick #100 is getting $3,852,996.

 

They'll get it worked out. 

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

Specifically: there are currently 3 players signed between pick 70 and pick 99 (Devin Singletary is one; a third just signed recently)

Something about the rookie cap and later 3rd round picks - more negotiating room, apparently

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/draft/round-3/

Pink is "estimated contract"

this is a perfect example why the rookie salary cap slotting was such an ingenious idea by whoever came up with it and whoever approved it. Owners Players Union etc etc.....

 

If a minute small variable negotiation position that these 3rd rounders apparently have, can lead to protracted negotiations like some 3rd rounders have now.....imagine if it was the old way with all draftees with no rookie salary cap. 

 

No one would sign before camp, and many would hold out into season. FO man hours by teams wasted chasing this ***** would be epic in today's negotiation climate and they can now have those FO staffers doing something more needed.

Edited by cba fan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To those screaming "just sign already", hundreds of thousands of dollars is still a lot of money to kids who aren't guaranteed to still be in the league for a big second contract, it's worth fighting for.

  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

To those screaming "just sign already", hundreds of thousands of dollars is still a lot of money to kids who aren't guaranteed to still be in the league for a big second contract, it's worth fighting for.

What is the reason for the teams to try and save what amounts to a very small portion of their cap by fighting this. If the player doesn't work out, it'll cost them almost nothing, this has nothing to do with guaranteed money. And if the player does work out, they will have them locked up at well below their value.

 

Sounds rather petty to me.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2019 at 11:52 AM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

 

Why Are There so Many 3rd-Round NFL Draft Picks That Are Still Unsigned?

 

Sigmund Bloom -BR (older article but I think it is the same now)

 

"the dispute stems from the "25 percent rule" per Pasquarelli. That is the rule that allows teams to give rookies raises of up to 25 percent of the combined total of their rookie salary and one-quarter of their signing bonus. Pasquarelli ran the numbers for the first pick of the third round, Indianapolis tight end Dwayne Allen. He needs to check his math, but the difference between giving Allen the minimum salaries and giving him the full 25 percent raise is less than four hundred thousand dollars over the life of the contract.  "

 

"What makes this more baffling is that most, if not all of that money is not guaranteed. The difference between the minimum raise and a 25 percent raise is irrelevant if the player is cut before his contract is over. Likewise, if the player becomes quality depth or a starter, the difference in the amount of raise becomes irrelevant because they are playing at a massive discount either way."

 

Interesting.  I wonder if the player agents get something out of it upfront if they manage to negotiate a slightly higher contract, even if it's not guaranteed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Capco said:

 

Interesting.  I wonder if the player agents get something out of it upfront if they manage to negotiate a slightly higher contract, even if it's not guaranteed.  

...good question(s).....is if offset language?...guaranteed amount?......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, without a drought said:

What is the reason for the teams to try and save what amounts to a very small portion of their cap by fighting this. If the player doesn't work out, it'll cost them almost nothing, this has nothing to do with guaranteed money. And if the player does work out, they will have them locked up at well below their value.

 

Sounds rather petty to me.

Did I say a single damned thing about teams saving money, or did you miss that I was clearly arguing for the players to fight for what they can get?

  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 1ManRaid said:

Did I say a single damned thing about teams saving money, or did you miss that I was clearly arguing for the players to fight for what they can get?

 

Settle down.  He's agreeing with you.

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would GUESS that players like Knox, who the team traded up for, have SLIGHTLY more leverage. Considering the Bills expended both a 3rd and a 4th to acquire Knox, that could factor into negotiations. Just a hunch.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I would GUESS that players like Knox, who the team traded up for, have SLIGHTLY more leverage. Considering the Bills expended both a 3rd and a 4th to acquire Knox, that could factor into negotiations. Just a hunch.

 

And, your new presumed starter just hurt his foot again, that has to give him more leverage for whatever he's asking.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nanker said:

You think Knox not being signed is an issue - the Rams haven’t signed a single one of their draft picks yet. 

https://nfltraderumors.co/2019-nfl-draft-results-by-team/

It appears having all of your draft picks signed at this point is the exception rather than the rule. It is interesting (as talked about in the article quoted previously in this thread) that 25 third round picks are still unsigned. By far, the most of any round.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...