Dion Dawkins on playing LT: “Is it ever really our choice? No.”

3 minutes ago, T master said:

Dawkins has proved to be a good LT that will continue to improve on his skills while here & has also proven by his statements that he is the type of player the Bills want to have a team first guy not like a AB where it's all about him which i am so glad for & hope we don't ever have any AB types on the Bills team !

With the addition of all the new guys to the team it will also add as motivation as he said to not slack off because you know that if your not doing your job you can be easily replaced so i believe it to be a win all the way around but it will be interesting to see who is left standing after the dust has cleared from camp to the pre season !!

He proved that he could be our LT of the future in his rookie year.  Last year, he proved nothing except that he is much worse without incognito and wood playing with him.  Hopefully adding Spain or whoever plays LG will get him back on track. 

Also excited to see how Bobby Johnson can impact our OL.  Castillo was my nemesis and McDermotts biggest mistake to date imo

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Man, there's the process on display. Read those quotes.  

McDermott wants guys obsessed with winning and doing everything they can to win. Everything, even if it's being a hoorah guy.  

When McDermott has a room full of those guys, McDermott thinks he can accomplish anything, because the effort turns into a 100% team effort. No one cares about himself.  

This isn't a mindset that McDermott wants to teach.  It's a mindset he wants hard wired into the guys he has on his team.  He may need to remind them from time to time that that's who they are, but he doesn't want a guy he has to convince about this philosophy.

Dawkins has it.  They wanted Allen because he has it.  Oliver has it. Beasley has it.  Shady and Gore have it. Hyde has it.  Kyle had it.  Ford and Knox and Sills have it. You can hear it in how they talk about who they and what they do.  

McBeane are building a team of guys who all say the same thing:  "Let's get to work." 

It's great to hear that from Dawkins. It's absolutely the right attitude and I wish him the very best in training camp. 

One thing though I must state, is that I don't think McCoy has that selfless attitude. I don't mean to give him too much slack, especially now since he's been getting a bunch around here lately but I don't think he's a good leader. 

He's too concerned about his numbers, he's too unpredictable off the field, and he's too petty about things the little things (i.e. using social media to criticize his OL).

That being said, I like McCoy and I believe that he will have a bounce back year but I don't think he should be voted a default captain. I think he's better suited focusing on his own game. 

It will be interesting to see who steps up as a leader this year. I'm not concerned, because I believe that leadership arises naturally given the circumstance. 

I'm really excited to see how the O-line battles play out. There's a few guys that could play multiple positions so the competition should be high at every position, other than Center which is locked down by Morse. It could be wishful thinking, but it feels like the "cream will rise to the top" at every position and some players that are fringe starters will end up as backups which is a very good position for the team to be in. Hopefully the potential is real that is talked about with all of the free agents we brought in and with Ford and we're able to put together a line that can actually create some lanes for the running game and keep JA upright long enough to make some plays downfield when needed.

28 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He proved that he could be our LT of the future in his rookie year.  Last year, he proved nothing except that he is much worse without incognito and wood playing with him.  Hopefully adding Spain or whoever plays LG will get him back on track. 

Also excited to see how Bobby Johnson can impact our OL.  Castillo was my nemesis and McDermotts biggest mistake to date imo

OL play is significantly impacted by the cohesiveness of the players next to you -- I feel like Anthony Munoz would have struggled at LT last year with our previous supporting cast -- as they were shuffling anyone with a pulse in at LG to see if they could work better.

2 minutes ago, NY Nole said:

OL play is significantly impacted by the cohesiveness of the players next to you -- I feel like Anthony Munoz would have struggled at LT last year with our previous supporting cast -- as they were shuffling anyone with a pulse in at LG to see if they could work better.

I realize that.  I was responding to someone that said “Dawkins has proved to be a good LT that will continue to improve on his skills“. The only thing he proved to me last year:  that he’s much worse without incognito and wood.

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

I don't think that moving Dawkins is as much about his play at tackle (though he admittedly regressed in year 2) as it is how great a fit he could be at guard. It also has been spurred on a bit by the fact that they signed a player that has had success at LT to starting-tackle money.

Personally, I want the best combination of 5, and I don't care who plays where.  If I had to guess, the best combo of 5 will look like one of the following 2 line-ups:

LT: Nsekhe

LG: Dawkins

? Morse

RG: Spain

RT: Ford

OR

LT: Dawkins

LG: Spain

? Morse

RG: Ford

RT: Nsekhe

I think your 1st line is our best combination.  Sliding Dion over to LG might rekindle some motivation from him.  Nsekhe's tape looks pretty impressive at LT. No matter what combination they go with it will be a substantial upgrade from last year. Shady's production should go up and Josh's scrambling attempts will come down.

2 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

I think the idea that Dawkins will be replaced as LT has a lot more traction among fans than it does among the coaches.

That's understandable, however, when the team turns around and signs as many players as they do along the line... two of which are tackles, then they trade up for a RT.

38 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Coaches will have competition at every position this camp except center. 

..and water is wet.

Competition doesn't mean they're gunning to replace him or have him penciled in as losing said competition like many on this board are..

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

I believe Dawkins will be fine. He got the wake-up call he needed. I also believe Ford will win the RT job.

Dawkins
Spain
Morse
Feiciano
Ford

Backups: Waddle, Nsekhe, Long

Considering the amount of coin they signed Nsekhe to, I am hard pressed to see him serving in a backup role.

Regardless, after last year's fiasco it is nice to see depth -- and so many options.

Just now, 2003Contenders said:

Considering the amount of coin they signed Nsekhe to, I am hard pressed to see him serving in a backup role.

Regardless, after last year's fiasco it is nice to see depth -- and so many options.

They paid him like a low end starter or high end backup which is really what he is.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I believe he could return to form with a decent vet LG next to him again. I’m thinking L -R

Dawkins

Spain

Morse

Ford

Nseghe

put the rook at RG between 2 vets.... then perhaps he becomes RT in 1-2 years 

I'm thinking the same thing...give Ford time to develop and then take over for Nsekhe in a year or two. I like the sound of this line...

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

You mean he didn't unfollow the Bills when we signed some LTs? i thought that was the move to do in the NFL when competition is brought up at your position?

I know you're referring to Rosen but it wasn't competition brought in for Rosen....it was a replacement. Rosen was not going to be given the chance to be Cards starting QB

• Like (+1) 1