John Warrow’s High Praise For Beane & McDermott Regime

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm gonna one up you....I thought Mahomes was going to be terrible.  I thought KC was going 6-10 last year and would decline on offense after Alex Smith left.

I was wary of Mahomes too. I thought his footwork was horrible and he didn't have many tight window throws on his tape. That said I knew he was a high ceiling prospect. I even said in the run up to that draft that while Watson was my guy I would not criticise the Bills for taking Mahomes at #10 because it was a proper swing for the fences.

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I use those recognised media terms so that people understand what I am on about. But don't get hung up on the terminology. The point - and your last para admits it - is it was a CHOICE. They came in and decided they preferred to try and completely reshape the roster in double quick time. I think the only players on the team now who were here under Rex are Lawson, Hughes and McCoy. Even by the NFL standard that is a lightening fast overhaul. You can call it what you want.... tear down, rebuild, reload, refresh.... it doesn't matter. They chose to try and totally reshape this roster quickly rather than ride with the talent they inherited and try to build on it and make changes gradually. 

I repeat for about the 25th time... I don't even disagree with their choice. I just disagree with fans who try to represent it as anything other than a choice. 

Here is the thing...........the choices could all have been wrong and it could STILL work out better.

It may not be likely...........but even though I am skeptical of the moves stranger things have happened.

K-9 and I were talking old 80's Bills.............letting Chuck Knox get away was INCREDIBLY stupid in the short term............Ground Chuck was a great head coach.........the best in Bills history, IMO.

But in about 5 years(a short period of time by NFL standards then) the Bills were playing in the AFC Championship game and had an amazing defense and a franchise QB.........a lot happened and a good deal of it was by accident and some of it was even enhanced by dumb things like @K-9 telling Jim Kelly's agent that he had a call on line 1 when they were negotiating his contract! :devil:

Even when it's BAD there is always light at the end of the tunnel..........that's what's great about the NFL.........turnarounds are never far out of reach.:thumbsup:

7 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

He could have watched tapes of Watson playing against a GREAT Alabama teams in the Championship Games and listed to Dabo Swinney talk about him.

Selecting a franchise QB is a career altering decision. Teams are scouting these QBs over the course of a year, sometimes even longer. It isn't something you decide on over a 3 month period when your scouting department isn't even set. That's why I thought a total rebuild made sense. We geared up to take our franchise QB with a full season to prepare for that decision. No matter what McDermott might have thought of Watson and Mahomes, and I'm guessing he didn't have much of an opinion on either, it was not a realistic option at that point. This can all be traced back to the Pegulas hiring Rex Ryan. That hire set the franchise back a minimum of 3 years.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Bill from NYC said:

I heard Swinney rave about Watson on Sirius College radio.

Wait, a college coach hyped his own player?  Stop the presses!

C'mon, Bill.  I'm pretty sure Pat Narduzzi raved about Nate Peterman too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

Here is the thing...........the choices could all have been wrong and it could STILL work out better.

It may not be likely...........but even though I am skeptical of the moves stranger things have happened.

K-9 and I were talking old 80's Bills.............letting Chuck Knox get away was INCREDIBLY stupid in the short term............Ground Chuck was a great head coach.........the best in Bills history, IMO.

But in about 5 years(a short period of time by NFL standards then) the Bills were playing in the AFC Championship game and had an amazing defense and a franchise QB.........a lot happened and a good deal of it was by accident and some of it was even enhanced by dumb things like @K-9 telling Jim Kelly's agent that he had a call on line 1 when they were negotiating his contract! :devil:

Even when it's BAD there is always light at the end of the tunnel..........that's what's great about the NFL.........turnarounds are never far out of reach.:thumbsup:

Yep. Equally you can make all the right decisions and still fail. The gap between success and failure in the NFL is so slight that you can have the right strategy a few bad bounces an owner who maybe pulls the trigger one year too early and bang there you go. 

3 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I heard Swinney rave about Watson on Sirius College radio.

Yea called him the Michael Jordan of football. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, eball said:

Wait, a college coach hyped his own player?  Stop the presses!

C'mon, Bill.  I'm pretty sure Pat Narduzzi raved about Nate Peterman too.

:) Ok, sure.....but he played Bama twice (with teams not as good as the current championship team). One year he came back and beat Bama for the title, carrying his team. The other year he gave Bama all they could handle and much of the credit belongs to Saban for that on sides kick, which was probably the most pivotal, cunning play in the history of college football.

A 13 year old kid could see that Watson was a gamer. We needed him more than a freaking corner.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I was wary of Mahomes too. I thought his footwork was horrible and he didn't have many tight window throws on his tape. That said I knew he was a high ceiling prospect. I even said in the run up to that draft that while Watson was my guy I would not criticise the Bills for taking Mahomes at #10 because it was a proper swing for the fences.

That's why I thought he was going to struggle.  

Just now, Bill from NYC said:

:) Ok, sure.....but he played Bama twice (with teams not as good as the current championship team). One year he came back and beat Bama for the title, carrying his team. The other year he gave Bama all they could handle and much of the credit belongs to Saban for that on sides kick, which was probably the most pivotal, cunning play in the history of college football.

A 13 year old kid could see that Watson was a gamer. We needed him more than a freaking corner.

I didn't dislike Watson and thought the Bills might take him, which would have been fine.  It's just frustrating to hear some act as though there was only one "right" choice for how McD (and then Beane) chose to go about things.  Here we are, two seasons later, and it appears as though some good things are on the horizon with a roster built the way our head coach and GM prefer.  Now, it's on them and the players they chose.

18 hours ago, Gugny said:

I've attacked no one.

I've never been an "everything is awesome," homer and I freely acknowledge that, outside the four wonder years, the Bills have been a pathetic organization.

But that was Ralph's fault.  He's dead.  The Pegulas completely effed up their intro by hiring Rex ... who subsequently gave the starting QB job to Taylor.   Since then, they've made decent moves and meddled less.  I'm happy with that.

I know the Mets. Don't you worry.  I've known them since 1983.  I'm no Mets homer, either.  In fact, I'm harder on them than I've ever been on the Bills.

I don't follow college football.  I love the draft, but since I don't follow college football, I know only what I read about as far as the available players.

If knowing football as intimately as you do would make me the kind of fan that you are ... no thanks.  I'll gladly take my naive approach and understanding of the game and not "know so much," that I'm able to do nothing but find the negatives in every aspect of the team.

Wallow in yourshit by yourself.  Don't drag me down, brother.

Go Bills and Go Mets!!!!!

Nobody can make you unhappy but you, Gug.:flirt:

But an otherwise unusually reasonable response.    I mean other than jumping on the Mets when they got Strawberry.   Front runner.:beer:

17 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Nobody can make you unhappy but you, Gug.:flirt:

But an otherwise unusually reasonable response.    I mean other than jumping on the Mets when they got Strawberry.   Front runner.:beer:

They sucked in 1983.  But Strawberry was one of the main reasons I became a Mets fan.  Sweetest swing in baseball.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

They sucked in 1983.  But Strawberry was one of the main reasons I became a Mets fan.  Sweetest swing in baseball.

Straw almost killed me in '85.  I had seats down the leftfield line at Shea with my buddies; we were walking out to our seats from the concourse and Straw lit a laser beam foul that hit the concrete directly above our heads.

Just now, eball said:

Straw almost killed me in '85.  I had seats down the leftfield line at Shea with my buddies; we were walking out to our seats from the concourse and Straw lit a laser beam foul that hit the concrete directly above our heads.

Yep.  That coulda been the end of you!

Just now, eball said:

I never got to see him play.  My brother, sister and dad went to Montreal to see the Mets/Expos play.  I don't remember why I didn't go.  Bro and Dad (and Mom) are Yankees fans.  At the time, my sister liked the Mets (she has since turned to the dark side).

My brother got Strawberry's attention (I'm assuming before the game; maybe after) by yelling, "Yo, Darryl!!"  Straw looked up and my bro asked if he'd sign a baseball.  Threw it to him.  Straw signed it and threw it back.  My sister had the ball in a case for years.  I'm not sure if she still has it.  She also wrote him a letter once and out of the blue, she received a signed black and white picture in the mail.

Pretty cool stuff.  It's a shame what his addictions did to his career.  I'm glad he seems to be clean now.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Sweetest swing in baseball was Will Clark.  For right handers....Edgar Martinez.  

@Jay_Fixit would probably agree.

The most beautiful swing with a combination of bat speed, keeping the bat head through the hitting zone, effortless looking, being balanced etc....

Griffey.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

Sweetest swing in baseball was Will Clark.  For right handers....Edgar Martinez.  

@Jay_Fixit would probably agree.

The most beautiful swing with a combination of bat speed, keeping the bat head through the hitting zone, effortless looking, being balanced etc....

Griffey.

I hate to do this to you in public.  But you're wrong.  No one had a sweeter swing than Strawberry.  Smooth ... fluid ... powerful.  Nothing comes close.

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I hate to do this to you in public.  But you're wrong.  No one had a sweeter swing than Strawberry.  Smooth ... fluid ... powerful.  Nothing comes close.

You are more wrong than non-alcohol beer.

John Olerud had a sweeter swing than Strawberry.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, SoTier said:

The Bills were 9-7 in 2014,  7-9 in 2015, and 8-8 in 2016, so they weren't "dregs" either before McDermott was hired.  

The choice to tear down and rebuild was a choice made by McDermott and Beane, so they don't get a pass for that decision.  Most successful teams in the salary cap era choose to retool when they have a decently talented roster and bring in a new HC ... which was the Bills in 2017.

I agree that the Bills need to improve significantly this year. 

I think that both men took the Buffalo Bills job not thinking that it was going to be a rebuild and in fact Beane even stated that fact. That said, I don't think it was their first decision to rebuild the entire roster. It just happened that way. They went into the 2017 playoffs with Tyrod Taylor at QB and came away thinking we now need a franchise QB. As good as Taylor was at helping the run game, he just wasn't a good enough pocket passer.  

What happened then was they started evaluating players and came away thinking that they needed to bring in players that would buy into what they wanted to do in Buffalo. Some players weren't buying in and those players needed to be moved out!

You mention that 2014, 9-7 team. Go look at that 2014 roster and who is there that is still with the team? Jerry Hughes is the only one I see. Who is still on the roster from 2016? LeSean McCoy on offense, Jerry Hughes, Lorax, Adolphus Washington. I may have missed some, but nevertheless that number is astounding! 

Draft choices, how many are here from the Nix/Whaley eras since 2010? 2016 first round pick Shaq Lawson? Wow! 2010-2016*, 55 players drafted, one left! 

Beane needed to purge some of the overpaid star players on the Buffalo roster and at least he managed to acquire some draft picks for them.

A 3rd rounder for QB Tyrod Taylor, WOW 

QB Cardale Jones, 7th rounder

WR Sammy Watkins and a 6th round pick for EJ Gains and a 2018 2nd rounder. Sammy Watkins signed a 3 year, $48,000,000 contract with the Kansas City Chiefs, including a $21,000,000 signing bonus, $30,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $16,000,000. All for 40 rec, 519 yards, 3 TDs! 

CB Ronald Darby for WR Jordan Matthews and a 3rd round pick. 

Reggie Ragland for a 4th round pick.

Marcel Dareus for a 6th round pick.  all for one sack, one FF, 23 solo tackles, 2 tackles for a loss, 2 QB hits, one SFTY. Marcell Dareus signed a 2 year, $28,085,000 contract with the Jacksonville Jaguars, including a $5,000,000 signing bonus, $7,835,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $14,042,500.

What Brandon Beane has done with the Buffalo Bills in his short time here is amazing in my view and something that hasn't happened in a long, long time. Build a solid roster, clear the cap space and find a franchise QB.

Barring some disaster of unknown origin, I think we all can agree that this year should be the start of something special going forward for the Buffalo Bills and the fans.

Edited by Nihilarian
  • Thank you (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Will Clark, Griffey and hell, even John Olerud had sweeter swings.

My teeth hurt even taking about them.

Edited by Jay_Fixit

11 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Read my edit in the previous post.

1 minute ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Will Clark, Griffey and hell, even John Olerud had sweeter swings.

My teeth hurt even taking about them.

I don't want to hijack this thread.  Yous two seem like real nice fellas.  So let's just agree to disagree.

but you're both wrong.

20 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Strawberry couldn’t hold a candle to this guy:

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cf584496844554d41

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

That's why I thought he was going to struggle.  

Had he come to us he probably would have......the Chiefs were so much more prepared to cultivate a QB......kid hardly played his first year and went into his second with a LOT of help.   His center is coming to help Josh Allen for christ sake

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You are more wrong than non-alcohol beer.

John Olerud had a sweeter swing than Strawberry.

......Olerud was special to watch....but remember seeing Strawberry MANY years ago when he was coming up with the Tidewater Tides (Mets Triple A club) in the International League....playing against the Rochester Red Wings....hit a monster shot that cleared the clock in dead center at 430 feet, easily by 20 feet.....only player ever to do it in the history of the stadium was Mack Jones of the Syracuse Chiefs....he just had a monster wheel house.......

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Blame Pegula if you want. We didn't hire the next GM until after that draft. So who picks the QB, the defensive coach coming from a team that wasn't scouting QBs? There was no chance we were taking a QB that year. They certainly weren't going to go off of the scouting done by the lame duck GM and scouting staff. They had to cobble that draft together from Carolina's draft board. It's a miracle it went as well as it did. The eye was always on 2018 for drafting a QB, and if Allen turns out to be good the first 2 years won't mean a thing.

Considering the EJ pick, if I'm McD I don't trust Whaley or his scouts to find a QB in that draft.  If put myself in McDs shoes, Tre While was a great pick while adding the Chiefs 1st round pick @ #27, a third round pick and the Chiefs 2018 1st round pick.

Mahomes was ranked the second best quarterback by SI.com, the third best by ESPN, and the fourth best by NFLDraftScout.com

Let's see if Mahomes can carry that offense this year without his star RB, WR. After all, he still has his star TE and Sammy.

On 5/31/2019 at 12:55 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

JW I apologize if I offended you with my pretty reasonable/debatable responses.

Here's a less friendly take..........I absolutely take offense to your misuse the language to IMO slant a take from your sources.

I also understand that the landscape for journalists has been changing and there is no financial/career advantage in you giving anything less than maximum benefit of the doubt to the organization you are paid to cover.

We "couldn't afford to pay Robert Woods $8M" looks a lot better to the organization than "we were pretty certain he wasn't worth $8M" and then having him go put up 2K yards in his first two years in LA.

Originally I thought maybe you were just eased into that mindset by a very media friendly GM.............unfortunately my opinion has changed.

It's unfortunate when your local AP rep can't even be objective but I guess that's the way it is.

Good day sir!:thumbsup:

son of a fart.

i have absolutely no f-in clue who you are, nor do i care as you hide behind your veil of anonymity in being able to call out people and their professions directly.

good for you. i'd like to have that advantage.

like the way you weave in a narrative there without the benefit of facts, in suggesting you know what i do and how i go about doing it.

i give the benefit of the doubt to all people i cover, as it is my job to be impartial. it's only when i gain enough perspective based on my own discussions, my own eyes, and the results put forth before me when i begin gaining a semblance of perspective.

you, on the other hand, have elected to place the cart directly before the horse and advance to let's move on with this crew.

you're more than free to do that.

and yet, don't project your biases on what i do and how i go about doing it.

this sycophantic narcissm of placing your values on me just because i posted something positive is your issue, but now you've made it mine by questioning my professionalism.

easy for you to attempt to put me on the defensive as i don't know who you are except for some acned-teenager with a keyboard fetish.

it's unfortunate that i have to respond like this, but you've brought it on yourself as it's been clear through the little time i've gotten to know you that i've gained a clear sense of perspective of how small-minded you are.

jw

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

On 6/2/2019 at 7:52 AM, SoTier said:

What you seem to be is a reporter whose access to the team is dependent upon putting positive spin on whatever the team does and who gets very defensive when posters here criticize your acceptance of the conditions for your access.

Another member of the "No Critiicism of the Bills Allowed" Brigade heard from!

here's two words.

bull and *****

jw

• Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I don't want to hijack this thread.  Yous two seem like real nice fellas.  So let's just agree to disagree.

but you're both wrong.

Next thing you’re going to tell me is you think Troy Percival had a smoother delivery than John Smoltz.

3 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

son of a fart.

i have absolutely no f-in clue who you are, nor do i care as you hide behind your veil of anonymity in being able to call out people and their professions directly.

like the way you weave in a narrative there without the benefit of facts, in suggesting you know what i do and how i go about doing it.

i give the benefit of the doubt to all people i cover, as it is my job to be impartial. it's only when i gain enough perspective based on my own discussions, my own eyes, and the results put forth before me when i begin gaining a semblance of perspective.

you, on the other hand, have elected to place the cart directly before the horse and advance to let's move on with this crew.

this sycophantic narcissm of placing your values on me just because i posted something positive is your issue, but now you've made it mine by questioning my professionalism.

easy for you to attempt to put me on the defensive as i don't know who you are except for some acned-teenager with a keyboard fetish.

it's unfortunate that i have to respond like this, but you've brought it on yourself as it's been clear through the little time i've gotten to know you that i've gained a clear sense of perspective of how small-minded you are.

jw

...WELL stated JW.....we have three or four here that the effin' Sun chooses to hide from......it's less painful than listening to their sensuous, bountiful, negative diatribes..they humor us with their masochistic posts but STILL insist on following the Bills.....take a nitro pill, sip some fine Cabernet and keep "doing what you're doing"...:thumbsup:..

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

son of a fart.

jw

Don't allow yourself to be sucked into this wrestling match in the sewer. What this self-anointed football genius is doing is not commenting on what you are saying but essentially challenging your integrity and professionalism. According to his twisted logic if you are not giving a scathing criticism of everything this franchise is doing then you are succumbing to their exploitation of you.  

I'm confident that you can handle challenges and criticisms on everything you say or report without being affronted. But what is unacceptable is this too frequent  insinuation and very often more explicit questioning of your integrity and professionalism. Some people believe that they are oracles who preside over the village inhabited by the stupid peasants. What triggers their condescending and belittling responses is that these pompous characters can't handle people who have the audacity to disagree with their world view. 

Do you know the best way to deal with these self-absorbed and insufferable characters? Don't bother. They are not worth it and nothing is to be gained. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...WELL stated JW.....we have three or four here that the effin' Sun chooses to hide from......it's less painful than listening to their sensuous, bountiful, negative diatribes..they humor us with their masochistic posts but STILL insist on following the Bills.....take a nitro pill, sip some fine Cabernet and keep "doing what you're doing"...:thumbsup:..

Sometimes it’s not just what you do.......but how you do it. 

33 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

here's two words.

bull and *****

jw

I admire your restraint. Had I seen his post earlier, I would have lost it and I’m not even the one whose professionalism he insulted. 

Anyway, as others have said over the years, thanks for taking the time to visit and share some thoughts in this forum now and again. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Magox said:

Whaley should be part of an NFL FO just not the GM.

That is exactly my opinion hence comment about "Unfortunately the way egos are in NFL people are usually not willing to step down to lower role even if choice is being fired and I think the guaranteed contracts contribute to that."  For the second time Bills tapped someone in Pittsburgh organization and for second time results were not as desired.

24 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

You don't know JW very well. He's not into fine wines. He's more interested in going into these hole in the wall bars to drink obscure beers and listen to exotic music not suitable for the masses. :D

16 minutes ago, Buffalophil1948 said:

He is going to miss the leader of his oline Morse the most IMO.

You would think that Reid would have a plan in place for a backup and Morse was injured last season and they didn't offer him more to stay. 

"For one, the Chiefs have a decent backup set to takeover Morse’s spot in Austin Reiter. He played in 11 games last year and did just fine in his role as a starter.

The second reason the Chiefs moved on is because of Morse being injury prone. The sole reason Reiter got to prove himself in the starting center role is because Morse was banged up all the time."

https://kckingdom.com/2019/03/12/kansas-city-chiefs-moving-on-from-mitch-morse-not-surprising/

His injury history:

• 2015: concussion Week 12, missed one game
  • 2015: concussion Week 17, missed playoffs
  • 2017: foot sprain Week 2, missed 5 games
  • 2017: re-aggravation foot sprain in Week 13, placed on IR, missed 5 games
  • 2018: concussion Week 6, missed 5 games

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2019/3/14/18265043/2019-free-agency-should-buffalo-bills-be-worried-mitch-morse-concussion-history-kansas-city-chiefs

Currently, 

Bills C Mitch Morse underwent core-muscle surgery.

Morse is sitting out OTAs because of the issue, but it is unlikely it lingers into training camp. Morse is expected to start at center after signing a four-year, $44.5 million contract in March.

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/8759/mitch-morse

6 hours ago, eball said:

Their argument will always be that the new coach/GM could/should have drafted Mahomes or Watson in 2017.  

^^^

5 hours ago, Rico said:

That argument will be null and void though once Josh proves he’s better than them. ;)

Well, before Allen gets to prove he's better than Mahomes or Watson, he'll have to prove that he's a bonafide NFL starting QB, something that he's not done yet.  Personally, I don't think the Bills have nearly enough offensive talent on the sidelines or on the field to enable him to do more in 2019 than prove 1) he's not a bust and maybe 2) that he could become a very good QB in the future.  

4 hours ago, Magox said:

That is some observation there.    "they could have had".

These retrospective arguments are vapid.  We could play this game with every single NFL organization in every single draft.  Should have Would have Could have.   Beane wasn't in charge and McD wasn't going to let Whaley who was a lame duck GM make that decision, specially after his last QB he drafted flamed out.

What's vapid is continually demanding "accountabiilty" from players and assistant coaches but constantly making excuses for bad decisions from the ownership, GM and HC.

• Like (+1) 1