RD 3, Pick 74: RB Devin Singletary, Florida Atlantic

SDS

4 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

This is why I didn't like our 3rd round.

Too many good DE/Edge players left.

It really has nothing to do with D Singletary or the RB need.

It's clear to anyone who knows football that DE/Edge is a need this year, that 4 guys in those positions were picked within 20-30 picks of this pick and that RB wasn't.

Trading back to 3 and taking a development TE didn't help.

Well I only like the 3rd round because It potentially improves the team in those areas. I am defensive minded...after Ford, I would have shifted back to defense.

4 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Well I only like the 3rd round because It potentially improves the team in those areas. I am defensive minded...after Ford, I would have shifted back to defense.

Then we agree

4 good DE/Edge players taken within the next 32 picks.

After that Buffalo would have had 2 4ths to pick up help at RB/TE/LB/S

Buffalo took

LB in the 5th

S in the 6th

leaving 2 4th round picks to get a RB and TE, after adding a true DE/Edge prospect

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

Then we agree

4 good DE/Edge players taken within the next 32 picks.

After that Buffalo would have had 2 4ths to pick up help at RB/TE/LB/S

Buffalo took

LB in the 5th

S in the 6th

leaving 2 4th round picks to get a RB and TE, after adding a true DE/Edge prospect

Our RB and TE wouldn’t be there in the 4th, and would most likely be playing up in Foxboro (if you read the tea leaves). 

Vosean Joseph is a potential stud linebacker who had a 3-4th Round draft projection.   We would’ve drafted him under either scenario so no harm, no foul.  

We couldve taken say, Jaylon Ferguson, but would’ve ended up with the Jets type TE - Wesco, and not a guy who has TE1 potential.  

Not saying you’re wrong, but there’s very real tradeoffs in player skill at RB/TE were we to wait until the 4th.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

Poor receiver? Show me the drops please. I’m waiting.

I did something crazy and looked up some facts.  Devin had 51 receptions in his career but only 6 his last season.

The entire FAU backfield only had 16 receptions last year.

12 hours ago, SCBills said:

Lol, people are just saying stuff now.   I’m perplexed by the pick but pretty soon Singletary will be a 5’2 back, who ran a 5.0/40 and was born without thumbs. 

"born without thumbs"

That's Gold Jerry Gold!

4 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

I still don't like Buffalo's third round. This is what reaching smells like.

I have no problems with D Singletary as a player, I hope he does well and makes me eat crow his whole career.

I have no problems with OBD drafting a RB in the mid rounds.

I just don't like this pick in this position given what other players were available.

Specifically:

Edge: Jaylon Ferguson (my favorite of this bunch)

EDGE: Chase Winovich

DE/Edge: Maxx Crosby

DE: Anthony Nelson

TE: Jace Sternberger

S: Will Harris

S: Mike Edwards

G: Conner McGovern

G: Ben Powers

G: Phil Haynes

LB: Bobby Okerke

WR: Hakeem Butler

all positions of need taken in 3-4 after this pick

Plenty of good RB option taken later too, run on RBs didn't happen until late 3rd to 4th.

Damien Harris

Bryce Love

Justice Hill

Dexter Williams

Ryquell Armstead

Those were mostly guys in the 3-4th round range.

This pick and Dawsn Knox.... a lot of value left for an undersized and slow guy, and a development guy.

I hope I am wrong

I guess McBean had him ranked the highest on his board , and since we’re on the subject of eating crows I hope nobody eats more ( CROW ) then me about the Oliver pick , 

Edited by Putin

2 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

This is why I didn't like our 3rd round.

Too many good DE/Edge players left.

It really has nothing to do with D Singletary or the RB need.

It's clear to anyone who knows football that DE/Edge is a need this year, that 4 guys in those positions were picked within 20-30 picks of this pick and that RB wasn't a need here.

Trading back to the 3rd and taking a development TE didn't help.

Last time I checked our D was pretty good last year......you act like it needs to be fixed.

It does not.....we lost Meatball and 3 tech was a need.....we replaced that need......relax till you actually have something to worry about

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

I know...Winovich. Now he is in New England. 

And I thought I read here that he’s already been selected to the NFL hall of fame.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Last time I checked our D was pretty good last year......you act like it needs to be fixed.

It does not.....we lost Meatball and 3 tech was a need.....we replaced that need......relax till you actually have something to worry about

Some people will find a way to complain about winning the lotto.  Oh, but the taxes!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, GreggTX said:

I've been looking into this guy some more. I don't think he can be elite because of his speed, but he can be effective. We'll still need to add a RB next year, but RB by committee can work. He's small and slow, but doesn't go down easily. His speed is just enough to get by. Very elusive.

Have you watched him play?  He looks like a lot fater his 4.6 40 time.  

8 hours ago, SCBills said:

Dawson Knox probably would be too if we didn’t draft him.  They traded out immediately after we jumped them and took him. 

Same could be said for Singletary as NE went Harris shortly after.  

If New England took them they would be geniuses though

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

I still don't like Buffalo's third round. This is what reaching smells like.

I have no problems with D Singletary as a player, I hope he does well and makes me eat crow his whole career.

I have no problems with OBD drafting a RB in the mid rounds.

I just don't like this pick in this position given what other players were available.

Specifically:

Edge: Jaylon Ferguson (my favorite of this bunch)

EDGE: Chase Winovich

DE/Edge: Maxx Crosby

DE: Anthony Nelson

TE: Jace Sternberger

S: Will Harris

S: Mike Edwards

G: Conner McGovern

G: Ben Powers

G: Phil Haynes

LB: Bobby Okerke

WR: Hakeem Butler

all positions of need taken in 3-4 after this pick

Plenty of good RB option taken later too, run on RBs didn't happen until late 3rd to 4th.

Damien Harris

Bryce Love

Justice Hill

Dexter Williams

Ryquell Armstead

Those were mostly guys in the 3-4th round range.

This pick and Dawsn Knox.... a lot of value left for an undersized and slow guy, and a development guy.

I hope I am wrong

Anyone who thinks Singletary is slow needs to stop looking at tables of statistics and actually watch him play

10 hours ago, GreggTX said:

I've been looking into this guy some more. I don't think he can be elite because of his speed, but he can be effective. We'll still need to add a RB next year, but RB by committee can work. He's small and slow, but doesn't go down easily. His speed is just enough to get by. Very elusive.

Go and actually watch him play. He plays plenty quick enough. Did he run quick in shorts, in a straight line? Not really. But he plays quick which is actually what matters. He simply isn't slow.

Edited by Mountain Man

11 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

Anyone who thinks Singletary is slow needs to stop looking at tables of statistics and actually watch him play

Go and actually watch him play. He plays plenty quick enough. Did he run quick in shorts, in a straight line? Not really. But he plays quick which is actually what matters. He simply isn't slow.

...well the good news is nobody has labeled him a bust.....YET.........

Singletary is my favorite pick in the whole draft. I really expect this guy to dominate right away, especially behind this OL. Granted I just watched his highlight videos and glanced at his stats but this guy seems incredible. The production is absolutely there and the tape is there, this guy is so exciting.

• Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Singletary is my favorite pick in the whole draft. I really expect this guy to dominate right away, especially behind this OL. Granted I just watched his highlight videos and glanced at his stats but this guy seems incredible. The production is absolutely there and the tape is there, this guy is so exciting.

You mean you didn't burst into tears like some people because we signed an RB they had never seen who ran slower than a 4.13 40 yard dash? 

• Haha (+1) 2