If Devin White is there at 9 and we pick him, do we go 3-4 defense?

32 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

So the logic here is to take the second best defense in the NFL and change it to something completely different based on a rookie??

well, if you want to be That way about it, then No.

• Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

So the logic here is to take the second best defense in the NFL and change it to something completely different based on a rookie??

Well when you put it THAT way....

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

well, if you want to be That way about it, then No.

*SNAP*

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

No to a 3-4. That's not McDermott'd style. Having what could potentially be the best LB group in the league is though. They should run to the podium to select White if he is there at #9. He reminds me of a young Ray Lewis. I can't think of any other team in the league that has three 3-down LB's and that would be what we have. It also would allow them to move Lorax back to DE primarily which means a better pass rush for us. 

• Like (+1) 1

I wouldn't be mad or surprised if white is the pick. Lorax is towards the end of his career and Milano is coming off a pretty serious injury. Reports are that he should be 100% for the start of the season, but you really cannot be sure imo. I'm not sure if that would put White or Edmunds on the outside, I think White in the middle would be the best fit. But he is too talented to pass up on imo. Carolina also drafted Shaq Thompson when they had Kuechly and Davis during McD's time there, which was a pretty surprising pick at the time, I could see them going a similar route. I could see them drafting any position on D, besides S in the first round. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think if White is there we take him.  he would be BPA.  DO we switch to a 3-4.  na.   we move Edmunds to outside or ay White there.   We are now set at LB for a decade.  We then trade back into the first to grab Edge or DL.  

If White was the pick I would not be upset as he is very good.  He will not make it to 9 as Bucs or Lions would take him.

If he was the pick, why would you change the entire D?  I would like to understand from you versus just throwing out a question.

The best path is to make him an OLB.  This means you do not have to change your playbook and turnover other players who do not fit a 4-3.

Again, why do you think this is a good idea?

1 hour ago, BillsfanAZ said:

Not saying we should change or not change, but regardless of where we are ranked, we do not have anything close to a championship defense, so we need to keep all options open. But I wouldn't personally recommend changing.

I wouldn't be surprised if they drafted White.  McDermott was Panthers DC from 2011 - 2016.  During that time, Panthers took Shaq Thompson in 2015 with 25th overall pick.  Luke Kuechly in 2012 with 9th overall pick.  They'll stay with 4 - 3 defense.