John Wawrow: "better chance of the Bills moving up for a player than moving back"

Logic

6 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

So you think Beane works out a deal with his old pal Gettleman and gets to 6 for Eddie O?

Giants drop to 9 and take Lock?

Cant see it.  If you like a QB, you don’t get cute for an extra 3rd rounder and risk somebody coming up and grabbing him.  If Oliver is available at 6, there’s a good shot he’s available at 9.  Jax is taking Hockenson or O-Line.  Detroit pick could go a bunch of different ways.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This makes a ton of sense. 9 and the Bills 3rd and a 4th for 6?

I don't disagree that the Bills covet Oliver but why give up picks to move up to get him when there is a good chance that he will still be on the board when we pick. What increases the chances that he will still be on the board is that a qb or two or maybe three might be targeted before we pick thus increasing the odds that he or another highly rate player will still be available. If he isn't on the board when our turn comes up that will still good options on the line at other positions that will also fortify the roster. 

If the Bills were inclined to deal off picks I would rather they do it to move up after our first round selection to get a higher graded player for other positions, such as RB, OL or TE. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I don't disagree that the Bills covet Oliver but why give up picks to move up to get him when there is a good chance that he will still be on the board when we pick. What increases the chances that he will still be on the board is that a qb or two or maybe three might be targeted before we pick thus increasing the odds that he or another highly rate player will still be available. If he isn't on the board when our turn comes up that will still good options on the line at other positions that will also fortify the roster. 

If the Bills were inclined to deal off picks I would rather they do it to move up after our first round selection to get a higher graded player for other positions, such as RB, OL or TE. 

They love Oliver. There is a chance that he is their top overall player. They certainly aren’t using 10 picks. They won’t even use 7 imo. These picks are there to move around. They don’t have a ton of spots. Oliver is an absolute stud at a position of need. If they are as high on him as I suspect they have no issue moving up. 

• Like (+1) 5

11 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Beane and even McD in his first draft have displayed a willingness to move up for specific players rather than letting the draft fall to them. Whether you agree with the strategy - there was likely a chance the players would be available in their original spots- or not, it fits in with Wawrow’s response. If they are comfortable with the price to move up, it seems a likely scenario. 

3 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

going from nine to 2 ??

ouch

It's going to take a good amount, but you are getting the top player in the draft. 2 elite players in the this draft in Bosa and Williams. SF just seems like a team that would want to trade down idk. Tampa makes sense too. 

8 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

It's going to take a good amount, but you are getting the top player in the draft. 2 elite players in the this draft in Bosa and Williams. SF just seems like a team that would want to trade down idk. Tampa makes sense too. 

So 9, 40, 2020 first and 2021 second should just about do it to go from 9 to 2..

Bosa and Williams had better be the next Bruce Smith for that haul..

Edited by Aussie Joe

14 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I can buy this more than trading up 2-3 spots for a guy 6 teams already passed on.  Good chance that guy falls to you at 9.  If they think Williams is the best player in the draft and Arizona takes the QB, and the 49ers and Jets take pass rushers because they’ve drafted top 5 DT’s the past couple drafts and Bosa/Allen are elite pass rushers.  Raiders might be willing to trade down.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan17 said:

Out of curiosity, other than the clip of McDermott at the pro day, what else have they done to show their overwhelming interest in Oliver? 

I'm a huge Oliver fan, and want him the most in the first, so I'm just asking seriously.

He is scheduled to visit the Bills twice. They only get 30 total. 

33 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

Let’s keep lighting draft picks on fire. 

I would be happy to light Ray Ray on fire and throw in Austin Proehl too. Should have used those two picks and moved up in the 5th

• Like (+1) 4

23 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They love Oliver. There is a chance that he is their top overall player. They certainly aren’t using 10 picks. They won’t even use 7 imo. These picks are there to move around. They don’t have a ton of spots. Oliver is an absolute stud at a position of need. If they are as high on him as I suspect they have no issue moving up. 

His athleticism is something McD & Beane covet. The 40, 3 cone, shuttle, etc indicate an astounding athlete and his film is damn good too.

Allen & Edmunds are the same type of specimens.

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Like (+1) 3

All the same experts on this board that loved Josh Rosen (who is being shipped out of Arizona after one year) are telling us we are moving up for Oliver. I’ll reserve judgment based on their whiff on last year’s QB projection. Don’t believe the hype. Beane giving away a 3rd and 4th round pick to move up 3 spots??? Think again. 

7 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

All the same experts on this board that loved Josh Rosen (who is being shipped out of Arizona after one year) are telling us we are moving up for Oliver. I’ll reserve judgment based on their whiff on last year’s QB projection. Don’t believe the hype. Beane giving away a 3rd and 4th round pick to move up 3 spots??? Think again. 

Honestly, there is zero way Rosen being moved is on him. Anyone using that to gauge Rosen is not seeing the forest through the trees. The Cards are absolutely stupid for this.

Edited by BillsFan17

5 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I have no idea if they are moving up for Oliver, but I liked Allen before the draft and I also like Oliver.

• Like (+1) 1

I love Bosa, Williams, Allen, Oliver. If we get one of those guys I will be ecstatic. 

25 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

So 9, 40, 2020 first and 2021 second should just about do it to go from 9 to 2..

Bosa and Williams had better be the next Bruce Smith for that haul..

I'd probably do it, I have a hard time giving up 40, but I'm fine with the rest. But I do think San Francisco might take a player like Zay Jones or even Trent Murphy (Stanford connection) in a trade in place of a pick. I think they want to trade down for a guy like Greedy Williams and in doing so can get the pick they traded for Dee Ford back and then some. But yeah I'd take Bosa, and I think he will be at least as good as his brother, probably better and a perfect fit in McDermott's system imo. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

I'll suck some D to get Bosa and Hock

4 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

You’re not fooling anyone, Mister...we all know you would do it for free...?

#alittletooeager

Pretty sure @JaCrispy has a Kiko Alonso jersey he's willing to part with... just sayin'

Edited by ndirish1978
  • Haha (+1) 1