Has anyone else given up TV/Movies/Music?

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I'm not one of those. Cancelled my Netflix account like 6 months ago

just make sure your unnecessary leisure time activities are enjoyable (or help build relationships)

sports is the only thing to watch where most people COMPLAIN THE WHOLE TIME about refs and the rules, mainly because they are bored to death.

6 minutes ago, stuvian said:

I am disgusted by the poisoning of all public discourse by the politicization of everything. While I'm not about to go all JD Salinger and head for the bush, I increasingly think of opting out of North American society and spending the rest of my life writing, reading, exercising and travelling - with some occasional partying thrown in.

I'm with you on this. I've come to the faith in the past year and the more I study that, the more I see the corruption and deceit inherent in the modern media and technology. Want less and less of it. It's oddly liberating.

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

just make sure your unnecessary leisure time activities are enjoyable (or help build relationships)

sports is the only thing to watch where most people COMPLAIN THE WHOLE TIME about refs and the rules, mainly because they are bored to death.

I'm cutting way back on ALL forms of amusement, really. Think about the word amusement. It's literal definition is mindlessness. Need less of that.

22 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

A little while ago, I realized that what's being produced in the corporate media machine is, almost universally, garbage. Usually over-sexualized and violent and generally lacking any kind of depth. So, I figured I'd give a go at no watching TV/movies or listening to popular music.

I gotta tell you, it's been a great thing in my life particularly. But this morning, I wondered if I was the only person in the United States doing this. Anyone here also doing something similar?

Hiding in the cave huh?  

TV has never been better than it is right now, but you have to know what to watch.

Good movies are much harder to find; we usually get 3 or 4 very good ones per year. 

Tons of great music out there too, but it's not being played on your Top 40 Hits radio station.  You have to work a little harder than that.

34 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I'm with you on this. I've come to the faith in the past year and the more I study that, the more I see the corruption and deceit inherent in the modern media and technology. Want less and less of it. It's oddly liberating.

I'm cutting way back on ALL forms of amusement, really. Think about the word amusement. It's literal definition is mindlessness. Need less of that.

just assigned to a file to bill 180 hours over the next 3 weeks, so amusement will be on low priority, which is good for a little while

38 minutes ago, stuvian said:

I don't think I've bought or listened to any music made after 1993 and I don't feel like I've missed anything.

How would you know?

I stopped keeping up with new bands/albums somewhere around the mid to late 90's but every once a while I come across a band that came out since then that I totally missed out on.

Enjoy the shows this year. I'm going to see Priest in a pretty small venue in May. Maybe Maiden too but I haven't been to an arena show since I can remember.

17 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

How would you know?

I stopped keeping up with new bands/albums somewhere around the mid to late 90's but every once a while I come across a band that came out since then that I totally missed out on.

Enjoy the shows this year. I'm going to see Priest in a pretty small venue in May. Maybe Maiden too but I haven't been to an arena show since I can remember.

they keep coming out with better re-releases of the best of the 60s and 70s

couldn't ask for anything more...

39 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

How would you know?

In a small venue....Eddie The Head must look massive.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Hiding in the cave huh?  

TV has never been better than it is right now, but you have to know what to watch.

Good movies are much harder to find; we usually get 3 or 4 very good ones per year. 

Tons of great music out there too, but it's not being played on your Top 40 Hits radio station.  You have to work a little harder than that.

I agree that there is a lot of great new music coming out regularly but you have to look for it. I listen to indie rock radio and when I hear a song I like, I write down a lyric, google it along with the word "lyrics" to find out the name of the song and artist. Then I check out other songs from the same artist on youtube. Sometimes I just search "best indie songs of 2017, 2018..."  on youtube.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Yeah, it's a shame they killed late night comedy over the last 20 years.

Edit:  Actually, it's a shame they killed comedy ENTIRELY over the last 20 years, in all formats.  When was the last time Hollywood produced a great comedy?  I couldn't say.   That last great network TV comedy premiered more than 25 years ago.  On late night TV its obviously politics, but across all mediums it's a combination of that plus the dumbing down of everything plus the PC policing of comedy in all forms.

When mediocre SNL alums like Amy Poehler are considered front line television humor, you know it's as bad as it can get.

PC and comedy do not mix. Jerry Seinfeld won't even do shows on college campuses.

On 3/9/2019 at 12:56 PM, KD in CA said:

I can not remember the last movie we saw in a theatre (not counting Indi-film festival documentary stuff and a few of the kids movies) that was really good.

The Kings Speech jumps to mind, and that was what, ten years ago?

But hey, I can’t wait for Spider-Man vs. Transformers 17 this summer!!!  

I probably have you all beat. Pirates of the Caribbean Curse of the Black Pearl 2003. Last time I set foot in a movie theater. 

30 minutes ago, Bills4everNY said:

PC and comedy do not mix. Jerry Seinfeld won't even do shows on college campuses.

I don’t remember the details, but I think Seinfeld told of his daughter calling him out for not being PC. He said “you’re not even using that word correctly!“

• Like (+1) 1

I’m with the general gist here—couldn’t begin to name top 40 currently, haven’t been to the movies in ages, and mostly watch cooking shows or hgtv these days—of course, having young kids doesn’t lend itself to keeping up with all the latest in the first place, lol. But somehow I don’t think I’m missing all that much! And I’m with Augie, I’m still letting people on my lawn so it’s not an age thing (yet) ;)

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I’m with the general gist here—couldn’t begin to name top 40 currently, haven’t been to the movies in ages, and mostly watch cooking shows or hgtv these days—of course, having young kids doesn’t lend itself to keeping up with all the latest in the first place, lol. But somehow I don’t think I’m missing all that much! And I’m with Augie, I’m still letting people on my lawn so it’s not an age thing (yet) ;)

We live in a nice planned community  and are surrounded by wonderful people. BUT....out of about 75 houses, only one has a child living there. People walk babies in strollers, but it’s mostly grandparents (like us!). We hope to build something exactly the way we want it in a younger area if we can find the land. I want kids on our lawn! I want to hear balls bouncing and kids laughing! 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/9/2019 at 11:48 AM, Joe in Winslow said:

A little while ago, I realized that what's being produced in the corporate media machine is, almost universally, garbage. Usually over-sexualized and violent and generally lacking any kind of depth. So, I figured I'd give a go at no watching TV/movies or listening to popular music.

I gotta tell you, it's been a great thing in my life particularly. But this morning, I wondered if I was the only person in the United States doing this. Anyone here also doing something similar?

Nope

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm in the process of giving up TV.  I'm doing research on cord cutting, and have pretty much decided that as soon as I buy a smart TV I'll make the move.  My reasons are much the same as those repeated over and over - paying for hundreds of channels I've never watched, near monthly price increases from Spectrum, readily available alternatives plus new techniques to implement almost daily, etc.

20 minutes ago, Keukasmallies said:

I'm in the process of giving up TV.  I'm doing research on cord cutting, and have pretty much decided that as soon as I buy a smart TV I'll make the move.  My reasons are much the same as those repeated over and over - paying for hundreds of channels I've never watched, near monthly price increases from Spectrum, readily available alternatives plus new techniques to implement almost daily, etc.

I'm not talking about cord cutting, I'm talking about no longer consuming the media.

14 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I'm not talking about cord cutting, I'm talking about no longer consuming the media.

I understand;  I'll  consume less media by stripping my choices to those I actually use, e.g., we gave up movies long ago.  I'm planning on giving up TV as most of us know it - cable company  delivered.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Keukasmallies said:

I understand;  I'll  consume less media by stripping my choices to those I actually use, e.g., we gave up movies long ago.  I'm planning on giving up TV as most of us know it - cable company  delivered.

Gotcha! Thanks for the reply.

Music has died alot because of the lack of cd/album sales. Especially the rock/alternative genre. But I could never give up music. 

Movies don't interest as much as they did when I was younger, but I still watch them quite often. 

I currently subscribe to directv and don't think I coukd give it up. I don't watch that many shows, but I need my Sunday ticket every year as well as access to college basketball and Syracuse games. Also the investigation discovery Channel and DIY channel 

The only new music I listen to is by way of a local independent radio station (alternative).

I'll check out new music by old artists (Stray Cats have a new album coming out in May and I am psyched), but I haven't latched onto a new artist in many years.

I actually go to more movies now than I ever did.  That said, I'm very selective and still only go every few months (if something I want to see is on).

My TV viewing is limited, for the most part, to Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy, cooking shows, sitcom re-runs, local news, documentaries/interviews on AXS, NFL and the Mets.

13 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The only new music I listen to is by way of a local independent radio station (alternative).

I'll check out new music by old artists (Stray Cats have a new album coming out in May and I am psyched), but I haven't latched onto a new artist in many years.

I actually go to more movies now than I ever did.  That said, I'm very selective and still only go every few months (if something I want to see is on).

My TV viewing is limited, for the most part, to Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy, cooking shows, sitcom re-runs, local news, documentaries/interviews on AXS, NFL and the Mets.

88.1 in Toronto is the only local "alternative" station, the UofT station is mostly talk shows but it also accomodates.

There are many people who have done this, they are called hipsters and they think it's what makes them cool and unique.

TV is too low brow for them, and movies and music must be artsy indy types or else it is trash. The band is only good if others havent heard of them before or they play on front of an audience greater then 10 people.......

Theres alot of crap out there today in all forms of media. But today people also expect much more out of it, not everything has to be a subtitled arthouse award caliber film.

6 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Interesting take, but OK.

So you and your skinny jeans can climb right back into your little Subaru sports car with the Thule thingy on top!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

There are many people who have done this, they are called hipsters and they think it's what makes them cool and unique.

Those are the people who watch Netflix constantly and trumpet they are too intellectual to watch television...

Youtube has been amazing in providing anything I can ask for with music, my niche interest of 20th and 21st century string quartets is fully filled, I have not been denied a live or recorded performance of any of 100 of so the last year.

I gave up cable news after the 2016 election.  

Wikipedia has saved me hundreds of dollars and plenty of time in regards to movies.  I can just read the story under "plot."  9 out of 10 times it's a movie filled with plot devices I've seen many times before.  

18 minutes ago, dpberr said:

I gave up cable news after the 2016 election.  

The news has been the greatest in helping move that broom around in the people who see themselves as logical and loving.

I've really become discouraged with Hollywood the last 10-15 years. Too politicized. Too much social engineering. Too much of an agenda. China's increasing influence over what can be shown is creepy as well. It's really too bad because I feel the theatre end of the industry has really stepped up their game. We have a few fantastic ones around here that serve good food at your seat. Great alcohol selection. Comfortable seating and so on. Too bad the product they have to show is subpar.

Edited by Dante