Antonio Brown trade may be happening today, announcing team soon: UPDATE: TRADED to Raiders

24 minutes ago, TAinLA said:

Love it, as I said in another thread, Raiders will be dysfunctional and fall apart and Mr. Big Pest will age out into obscurity.  Hoping the Bills get to put at least one beat down on them in the next couple of years!!!

We get that chance next season - IF he doesn’t quit the Raiders before then!

We play them in Las Vegas in 2020 ?

• Like (+1) 1

I figured for sure the contract issue involved Brown demanding a couple of extra years at $17M+..........which I would have been fine with them passing on.

But three years at $17M per(a sub-going rate AAV) would have been a perfect match with the 3 remaining "very cheap" years of Allen's rookie contract.

This looks Billsy.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

No just calls for a WR that quits in Training Camp to be an advocate. 

Or calls for a CB that walks out at halftime and retires. 

The Delusion that we are better off that one of the Best WRs in the NFL is not in Buffalo. 

With AB Steelers won no Super Bowls and appeared in only one., 2010 rookie season.  This with a future HOFer at QB and one of best runners in NFL.  

So unclear to me how A B could save Bills or Raiders 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Cooper is a fraction of the caliber WR Brown is.  

In the end, they got AB and a 1st round pick for Cooper.  

Let me guess.

Brown goes to:

Bills, Jets, Dolphins: Old, expensive, diva, cost too much in draft capital.

Any non-AFC East team: This proves the Bils are stupid and undesirable for a multitude of reasons.

Pats: Greatest transaction in football history and proves Kraft only got a manicure.

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

I would have been pissed if the Bills gave a 31 yr old WR a $54M contract with $30M guaranteed. Not to mention giving up a 3rd and 5th round pick. All that for a guy who would have just complained. 

I think the Bills may have offered a bit better trade compensation, but been 100% unwilling to offer Brown that much in the way of guarantees.

I agree with you that offering a diva WR who has gone AWOL on his team big guaranteed bucks is not the Path of Wisdom towards building a team

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, nucci said:

Teams don't have to honor the contracts players sign. They can be released with years left on their on their contracts....it works both ways

Actually it doesn't. It's very one sided in the owners favor. A good agent world make that clear to a player.

22 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

With AB Steelers won no Super Bowls and appeared in only one., 2010 rookie season.  This with a future HOFer at QB and one of best runners in NFL.  

So unclear to me how A B could save Bills or Raiders 

The top paid WRs in the league were ODB, Mike Evans, Brown. None of them even made the playoffs. 

Calvin Johnson was considered one of the best WR of all time and he was never on good teams. There is a long list of top WRs that never make their team good. I’m glad we didn’t sign this deal. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Probably right. He will fit right in with the Raider way. 

basically Gruden traded Cooper for a first and and then got back the best wide receiver for a 3rd and 5th. On the surface Gruden doesn’t looks pretty savvy.  

They will be in cap hell for a WR that is past his prime.

To all of those saying that this makes the Bills look bad, or wondering why Beane didn't offer a 3rd and a 5th .... come on.

This was about guaranteed money.  Lots of it.  What he did NOT have in Pittsburgh and what only Oakland was stupid enough to give him.

Bills win.  Raiders lose.

20 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think the Bills may have offered a bit better trade compensation, but been 100% unwilling to offer Brown that much in the way of guarantees.

I agree with you that offering a diva WR who has gone AWOL on his team big guaranteed bucks is not the Path of Wisdom towards building a team

Just one question:

Do we know whether the Bills even had the opportunity to offer Brown a revised contract? All I have heard is that Brown essentially said "No way I'm going to Buffalo" as soon as he had heard of the trade.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

Yes, insane to pay Antonio Brown slightly more than Sammy Watkins got last year from KC.

Please list, in alphabetical order, all of the Bills receivers in the history of the franchise who’ve had 15 TDs in a season.

Grapes are smelling kinda funky...

Please list in alphabetical order receivers (must be diva/locker room cancers too) have been worth 17m per year past age 30. I’ll wait......no sour grapes here pard. I’m just genuinely glad they didn’t make this move. 

Pay your QB, OL and pass rushers. You can’t sustain a team paying an aging WR 54 million. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, DefenseWins said:

Just one question:

Do we know whether the Bills even had the opportunity to offer Brown a revised contract? All I have heard is that Brown essentially said "No way I'm going to Buffalo" as soon as he had heard of the trade.

This is from Carrucci’s article which Kirby says is accurate of what went down, and I tend to believe that since he knows the Steelers GM

https://buffalonews.com/2019/03/08/buffalo-bills-antonio-brown-pittsburgh-steelers-brandon-beane-nfl-football/

Parallel  negotiations were ongoing between the Bills and the Steelers, and the Bills and Rosenhaus.

A source said that Bills co-owners Terry and Kim Pegula were kept abreast along the way.

The Bills had to agree with Brown on the terms of a new deal while also working with the Steelers on trade compensation.

Whatever compensation the Bills would agree to give the Steelers was directly tied to whatever financial terms Brown was seeking. It stands to reason that the larger the payout for Brown, the lower the compensation the team would be willing to give in order to reduce the risk, and vice versa.

As the talks unfolded, it didn't take long to determine the trade was going nowhere.

The Buffalove

Neither Beane nor anyone from the Bills spoke directly with Brown. Beane has never met him, so there is no way of truly knowing from the Bills’ end how he feels about the team or Buffalo.

However, sources said the Bills were confident if they met his financial demand and were able to make the trade, Brown would have happily joined them.

Despite speculation that their inability to acquire Brown doesn’t bode well for their efforts to sign players during the NFL’s unrestricted free-agent period that begins Wednesday, the Bills believe what was true before about signing players in the open market remains true: money talks.

It has been the Bills’ experience that there are certain players who prefer to play in larger markets and, if contract offers are equal, will choose those teams. The Bills also have found there are some who would rather play in smaller markets.

Still, money is always the largest factor in signing free agents.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DefenseWins said:

Just one question:

Officially of course, no one can offer a revised contract until the league year opens next week.

Unofficially, one perennial answer to "No way I'm going to (team)" is to "make an offer too good to refuse" and try to change the guy's mind.   Apparently the Bills were unwilling to play that game, and if what AB wanted was big guaranteed money, I can't fault them.

2 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

Please list in alphabetical order receivers (must be diva/locker room cancers too) have been worth 17m per year past age 30. I’ll wait......no sour grapes here pard. I’m just genuinely glad they didn’t make this move. 

Pay your QB, OL and pass rushers. You can’t sustain a team paying an aging WR 54 million. 

Gotta disagree. In this instance, in particular since Allen is gonna be on his rookie deal all three of the years in question here, and keeping in mind that the cap has been going up by $10 million a year, and also keeping in mind the Bills current amount of spendable cap money that's available the Bills could have very well afforded a contract of this type to get what is arguably the best WR in the NFL.

I'm not necessarily saying that I would have made that move but it is not that unthinkable. The Raiders certainly think so.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Officially of course, no one can offer a revised contract until the league year opens next week.

Unofficially, one perennial answer to "No way I'm going to (team)" is to "make an offer too good to refuse" and try to change the guy's mind.   Apparently the Bills were unwilling to play that game, and if what AB wanted was big guaranteed money, I can't fault them.

I'm not faulting anyone either. I just don't know that we can assume that Beane even got the opportunity.