Is Beane The Best GM We Have Had Since Bill Polian?

Irv

Yes - we've had some terrible GM's.  But,  he seems to have a solid plan in place.  We have the 4th highest cap space available this year and are projected to have the highest in 2020.  He arguably got the franchise QB we needed.  The fans seem engaged.  If we make the playoffs this year, I'd argue that he is one of the best GM's in the league and the best since Bills GM since Polian.   

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It's too early to make any calls on Beane or McDermott. All they have done so far is take out the trash. Success will be defined by how they rebuild with all the resources currently at their disposal.

Having said that, I think they cleaned out the team very well and am optimistic that, in two years, this speculation will prove itself o be true.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Irv said:

Yes - we've had some terrible GM's.  But,  he seems to have a solid plan in place.  We have the 4th highest cap space available this year and are projected to have the highest in 2020.  He arguably got the franchise QB we needed.  The fans seem engaged.  If we make the playoffs this year, I'd argue that he is one of the best GM's in the league and the best since Bills GM since Polian.   

Good post but be prepared to be savaged by the anti Beane - no rebuild - I want it now crowd on TBD! 2019 will tell!!

Just now, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

not so fast.

doing a fine job but lets let him build a tenure, all the while building a contender as well.

lets see how the draft goes at least before considering him the best since...

Fair enough!

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, nucci said:

Having highest cap space makes you a great GM?

No, but rebuilding an NFL franchise that reeked of a losing or mediocre culture, lousy scouting, lousy drafting, lousy FA acquisitions, lousy cap management, and lousy coaching for 16/16 years at least puts him in the running!!

Just now, Jpsredemption said:

He went to the playoffs and didn’t even draft any players that were apart of it or FA for that matter, traded a whole lot to land Allen and then the team went 6-10. His fate is tied to Allen. Let’s not jump the gun.

Keep hoping for failure so you can loudly state "I told you so!"

11 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

not so fast.

doing a fine job but lets let him build a tenure, all the while building a contender as well.

lets see how the draft goes at least before considering him the best since...

Yep - still not over. Same with McD, Daboll, Allen, Edmunds, everybody...speculate? Sure. Definitively judge? Nope. And that's not to say we should lean down on any of them at all, just way too soon to say one way or the other.

It's fairly easy to standout among the historical record of GMs since Polian, whom even some argue wasn't all that great of a GM himself. It's highly subjective and directly tied to the team's success, which can often be misleading. GMs can attempt to make many "great" moves that fans and critics would love, but if they fall through and never make headlines, the support never materializes from the media/fanbase. It's a highly polarizing position, and one that in Buffalo and other cities comes with a pre-heated seat.

Not an easy job, but we still need time to judge Beane's success here. Though we can be happy with the attempts he's made thus far, I'm curious what our opinions of him would be if we never heard the fallout from the near-misses he's made. 

Edited by ctk232
  • Like (+1) 1

Possibly?

He did just put together a team that had one of the worst offenses in NFL history.

he cut a lot of players, any of us could have done that. it also did not allow teh bills to be competitive last year.

it remains to be seen if he can bring in the right talent and not overpay for bad players in UFA and also draft well.

I like him a lot.

He was a little green - I mean why disclose details of what you were willing to give for Josh Allen in the Broncos trade - others can use that info. With time he will talk a bit less - already he is demonstrating that: The AB stealth move was outstanding - when everyone thought the chances of Bills going after AB were nil. He almost pulled it off without anyone getting a whiff.  Shefter must have been shi**ing bricks seeing the Rappaport tweet.

His  philosophy of building a program, his ability to be creative (notice the simultaneous Darby + Watkins trades which got us draft capital and at least, on paper filled WR and CB holes), his willingness to be bold - Dareus trade, pursue flashier options (AB) etc.  all appeal to me.

I also like it that he and McD are joined at the hip - that makes coching and front office both function like well oiled machines.

34 minutes ago, RochesterLifer said:

It's too early to make any calls on Beane or McDermott. All they have done so far is take out the trash. Success will be defined by how they rebuild with all the resources currently at their disposal.

Having said that, I think they cleaned out the team very well and am optimistic that, in two years, this speculation will prove itself o be true.

This ^.

Let's see what the two of them do this off season and upcoming season; they have a lot of capital to work with and have already made some badly needed staff changes.  If the Bills are in the same position they're in now personnel wise, I'll be worried a year from now.  I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and I think they'll come through.