Is Beane The Best GM We Have Had Since Bill Polian?

Irv

42 minutes ago, #34fan said:

There hasn't been a decent GM since Polian, and as far as I'm concerned that's still the case... So far Mcbeane hasn't been great at drafting, and they've sucked in free agency.  Let's see how the players they've drafted in'18 and '19 are doing come October.

Butler was no slouch as a GM...got on the wrong side of Ralph. He and A J Smith built a competitive Chargers team out of the ashes.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Butler was no slouch as a GM...got on the wrong side of Ralph. He and A J Smith built a competitive Chargers team out of the ashes.

I consider Butler/Polian part of the same Era... Butler was head of personnel here before being GM so sure... Since that Era it's's really been a wasteland.

46 minutes ago, #34fan said:

I consider Butler/Polian part of the same Era... Butler was head of personnel here before being GM so sure... Since that Era it's's really been a wasteland.

Fair enough, as he was a recruit of Polian's.

I did not think that Buddy was terrible, but he was better when working with Butler and A J Smith than as a solo GM.

Better suited to keeping the wheels from falling off an organization than rebuilding one...probably hung around a bit longer than he should have.

He knew the South Eastern College circuit really well and was a good head scout in his day.

Found some good players, but also brought in an over-hyped, over-priced Mario Williams.

2 hours ago, WideNine said:

Fair enough, as he was a recruit of Polian's.

I did not think that Buddy was terrible, but he was better when working with Butler and A J Smith than as a solo GM.

Better suited to keeping the wheels from falling off an organization than rebuilding one...probably hung around a bit longer than he should have.

He knew the South Eastern College circuit really well and was a good head scout in his day.

Found some good players, but also brought in an over-hyped, over-priced Mario Williams.

Yah, Buddy kinda blew it with Manuel too... If we could get one-half of what Polian/Butler brought to the table we might be alright... I know they never brought us a SB (ring), but damn they had us right on the cusp!

Edited by #34fan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, #34fan said:

There hasn't been a decent GM since Polian, and as far as I'm concerned that's still the case... So far Mcbeane hasn't been great at drafting, and they've sucked in free agency.  Let's see how the players they've drafted in'18 and '19 are doing come October.

Huh?  They have done quite well drafting.  That makes no sense.  

I think Nix has been undervalued.  He had a lot of mess to clean up and did exactly what Beane is doing as far as getting the cap fixed.  His major flaw was Manuel but I have a feeling that he knew Manuel would be bad but with the fan base desperately wanting a QB and not one in site he was the only option that year.  

On 3/8/2019 at 11:49 AM, Irv said:

Yes - we've had some terrible GM's.  But,  he seems to have a solid plan in place.  We have the 4th highest cap space available this year and are projected to have the highest in 2020.  He arguably got the franchise QB we needed.  The fans seem engaged.  If we make the playoffs this year, I'd argue that he is one of the best GM's in the league and the best since Bills GM since Polian.   

Tough to say because the owners were different as well. Pegula  definitely is more willing to spend money although Beane has proven to be frugal so far. I don’t have proof but I think the AB issue was that we weren’t willing to pay what he wanted. But Beane like Polian recognizes  a game changer when he sees one and at least tried to get him without hurting our future cap too much!

On 3/8/2019 at 8:49 AM, Irv said:

Yes - we've had some terrible GM's.  But,  he seems to have a solid plan in place.  We have the 4th highest cap space available this year and are projected to have the highest in 2020.  He arguably got the franchise QB we needed.  The fans seem engaged.  If we make the playoffs this year, I'd argue that he is one of the best GM's in the league and the best since Bills GM since Polian.   

not even close to Butler yet.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/8/2019 at 3:40 PM, bmur66 said:

Totally agree. It’s going to be exciting to see how FA and the draft play out. It’s pretty close to a blank slate right now and I really like Allen. I think protecting him should be priority no. 1 this season

I hope it's exciting.  LOL  If not, well, ... 

Problem is that it seems like the top free-agents are all defense.  There aren't a lot of great OL-men available.  I'd definitely make a serious move for Paradis.  He's a bit old for a center, as it was Wood was the oldest C in the league his last two seasons.  But a three-year deal would at least hopefully be a stepping stone to creating a decent OL.  

The problem with free agency is that you have so many teams, while it's fun to think that you'll land the top-3 OL-men in FAcy, the reality is the opposite.  We'll be lucky to get one.  

As everyone knows, you build your team via the Draft, which is where GMs earn their keep.  FAcy is a nice supplement, but you tend to overpay, particularly if you're us.  

So far I'm not impressed by McBeane's drafts.  If Allen becomes anything but a franchise QB by sometime in the 2020 season then McBeane's goose is cooked.  Doesn't matter what they do between now and then.  Based upon their insistence that Peterman would be good it certainly leaves room for speculation.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/9/2019 at 11:59 AM, #34fan said:

its been a nightmare. a lake erie nightmare.

11 hours ago, Billzgobowlin said:

I think Nix has been undervalued.  He had a lot of mess to clean up and did exactly what Beane is doing as far as getting the cap fixed.  His major flaw was Manuel but I have a feeling that he knew Manuel would be bad but with the fan base desperately wanting a QB and not one in site he was the only option that year.  

Let's add one Shawne Merriman...I had such high hopes for that pickup at the time, but just like Buddy, I was fooled by the 'roids assisted performances he'd turned in, which also made him a porcelain doll by the end of his Bills tenure on the injury report. 

56 minutes ago, Augie said:

I noticed some folks laughed at the OP, but never posted to tell us who was a better GM. Did I miss something? 

I think the point is, how can you rate him as a GM after one draft and one off-season.  

One poster put it perfectly.  He is the best GM they have ever had at tearing down a team that made the playoffs.  Now we will find out if he can build one.  

Yep, he got Allen/ thread ...

No seriously i think so, but this offseason will determine a lot.

On 3/8/2019 at 11:55 AM, Freddie's Dead said:

Butler was pretty good, but put us in in salary cap jail.  Cutting Bruce, Andre, and Thurman on the same day still hurts.  McBeane easily the best since then.

Glad i wasn't on the internet then , the vitriol would be seething.

• Like (+1) 1

Seriously? He used a pair of 1dt round picks on a QB that can't throw straight and a MLB that's very questionable as well. He's had only 1 draft and he paid Lotulelei twice what he's worth. The most optimist answer I can give at this point is "Wait and see."  At this point, it doesn't look very good for him.

Why are some people STILL crediting "McBeane" for the 2017 draft when Whaley and his scouts owned it? Beane wasn't even hired until AFTER that draft and McDermott didn't run it. SMH...

Edited by GreggTX

14 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Seriously? He used a pair of 1dt round picks on a QB that can't throw straight and a MLB that's very questionable as well. He's had only 1 draft and he paid Lotulelei twice what he's worth. The most optimist answer I can give at this point is "Wait and see."  At this point, it doesn't look very good for him.

Why are some people STILL crediting "McBeane" for the 2017 draft when Whaley and his scouts owned it? Beane wasn't even hired until AFTER that draft and McDermott didn't run it. SMH...

So you think Whaley ran the draft when everyone knew he was getting fired?  I would look no further than Zay Jones, a former pupil of the old receiving coach to prove that wrong, you think that was a coincidence?  Also what makes you believe Whaley would draft a CB first where as it was obvious that Mcdermott wanted to redo the secondary because that was his strength.  Not sure I would say Beane was in charge of it but I am pretty sure Whaley wasn't in it either.