Steak, booze and a sense of dull dread: Here's what really happens at the NFL combine

INDIANAPOLIS -- An NFL general manager stands in his suite at Lucas Oil Stadium watching the combine workouts. I'm not using his name; even though he's merely admitting what everyone privately acknowledges, he worries about saying it aloud because the combine is such a growth industry for the NFL. After years of coming to Indianapolis, he now understands that his presence here -- everyone's presence -- is simply to play a small part in a televised show, even if real futures are at stake. The players are running on the field down below, and they are running on the screens playing all around him, broadcast by the NFL Network. From his suite, this GM can barely read the names and numbers on their jerseys, so he watches on TV. Like most guys, he has an iPad where the stats and scores and results automatically update in his draft software. Except the results are always posted faster on the live television broadcast than in his own system. That's what cues his sense of dull dread: If I can just watch this on television, and if I don't even really care about the results anyway, then why exactly am I here?

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

The GM’s and Coaches are there to eyeball players in private meetings and to speak to agents about available FA’s during the “non tampering” period..

If it only about watching guys run 40’s I don’t think they would bother..

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

The GM’s and Coaches are there to eyeball players in private meetings and to speak to agents about available FA’s during the “non tampering” period..

If it only about watching guys run 40’s I don’t think they would bother..

I can almost guarantee they could care less about the 40's or any other drill. 

32 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

INDIANAPOLIS -- An NFL general manager stands in his suite at Lucas Oil Stadium watching the combine workouts. I'm not using his name; even though he's merely admitting what everyone privately acknowledges, he worries about saying it aloud because the combine is such a growth industry for the NFL. After years of coming to Indianapolis, he now understands that his presence here -- everyone's presence -- is simply to play a small part in a televised show, even if real futures are at stake. The players are running on the field down below, and they are running on the screens playing all around him, broadcast by the NFL Network. From his suite, this GM can barely read the names and numbers on their jerseys, so he watches on TV. Like most guys, he has an iPad where the stats and scores and results automatically update in his draft software. Except the results are always posted faster on the live television broadcast than in his own system. That's what cues his sense of dull dread: If I can just watch this on television, and if I don't even really care about the results anyway, then why exactly am I here?

Good read while I am "working"! 

Thanks for sharing!!!

"After years of coming to Indianapolis, he now understands that his presence here -- everyone's presence -- is simply to play a small part in a televised show, even if real futures are at stake."

He NOW understands this??  Come on!  This has to be one of the dumber GMs.  I'm guessing the guy from AZ?

I bet if it was anywhere but Indy, they would love being there.

Awesome piece. Like a much tamer and less drug-addled Hunter S Thompson.

I agree that the combine is about 5% useful information and 95% an opportunity for the NFL to make money and command an audience in the offseason.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffAlone said:

Steak, booze,sense of dull dread... Sounds like any given Sunday for Bills' fans. I didn't know you could be paid for that. 

haha!  I also thought this was going to he about Bills fans when I glanced at the title.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Love the article; sums up what I've thought about the combine as well.  In a nutshell, it's not about the workouts, it's about the interviews (somewhat) and the glad-handing with agents and other NFL execs (mostly).

• Like (+1) 2

Really awesome piece, definitely worth the read. 

I'm relatively confident in this front office to be able to evaluate talent and the true metrics required to be an outstanding football player/person. How many times in life do we see that the most successful people in their chosen pursuits are not the ones that has the physical numbers/ ideal pasts but rather those that have a strong internal voice. 

On a side note, how concerning is some of this behaviour of the NFL leadership. What an absolute mob like mentality. There has always been something rotten about the NFL business model. One day maybe I'll quit watching. 

Just my personal thoughts.

Go Bills!

15 minutes ago, eball said:

Love the article; sums up what I've thought about the combine as well.  In a nutshell, it's not about the workouts, it's about the interviews (somewhat) and the glad-handing with agents and other NFL execs (mostly).

Like a lot of professional sports, the simple purpose of an event can be overtaken by the marketing hype. Not that unusual.

Teams have already narrowed down their short list, sent scouts to their schools and games, and as someone indicated this is just their chance to verify their assessment and interview the guys they like.

They can always do more follow-ups on pro days too.

I wonder how short the combine would be if it was just measurements and interviews and they eliminated all the mandatory media events.

Probably less time to sit around, drink booze, and get introspective.

It does amaze me how certain players can be projected to go late first or early second, then have a great time in the 40 and it suddenly rockets them up the board. 

I know there's actually a little more to it than that but every year you get a few guys over drafted purely because they're seen as athletic freaks.