Bills should draft TJ Hockenson

DJB

I really think the Bills should target TJ Hockenson in round 1 and at 9.  Ive mentioned this a few weeks ago but I think Hockenson deserves his own thread. 

We need to build around Josh Allen giving him weapons and protection. TJ is the ONLY player in the draft who can help out our offence and also help our oline in one single pick. He is a stud blocker and is solid between the numbers much like a George Kittle. TJ is a massive upgrade to two positions with one single pick. 

Listen from around 17 minutes mark. 

https://art19.com/shows/move-the-sticks/episodes/eadc9e03-ff2f-43e1-b1bf-362db60a4e73

Great points about how a young QB best friend is a solid TE. I think there was some stats on how Allen loves tossing the ball between the numbers and a solid TE would be beneficial. 

Hockenson is also ranked high and isn't a reach for those that think he is. Ranked 5th overall on Jeremiah big board. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001018821/article/daniel-jeremiahs-top-50-prospects-for-2019-nfl-draft-20%3fnetworkId=4595&site=.news&zone=story&zoneUrl=url%3Dstory&zoneKeys=s1%3Dstory&env&pageKeyValues=prtnr%3Dpath-to-the-draft%3bplyr%3Ddesean_jackson%3bplyr%3Dfletcher_cox%3bplyr%3Ddeforest_buckner&p.ct=Path%2bto%2bthe%2bDraft&p.adsm=false&p.tcm=%23000&p.bgc1m=%23EAEAEA&sr=amp

Check out some of his highlights (blocking)

Catching 

Edited by DJB
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't think many people would disagree that he'd be a nice addition for them. However, the consensus I've picked up on is that mostly everyone on the board here would see it as a reach to take him 9th overall. At that stage of the draft there are still going to be some of these blue chip DL/DE players still on the board that would likely rate higher than Hockenson if they're measuring solely by BPA. I wouldn't mind Hockenson in a trade down scenario, maybe the middle of the round? It's really been far too long (if ever) that they've had a real weapon at tight end. Don't forget about his teammate Noah Fant and also Irv Smith, Jr. from Bama who has a working history with Daboll. Those guys could also be in play in the second round. If they're following the Carolina model for success, I'm sure they're searching for a guy for Allen who can be what Greg Olsen is to Cam Newton. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I guess I'll be that guy. I'm pretty certain he already has his own thread. 

26 minutes ago, DJB said:

I really think the Bills should target TJ Hockenson in round 1 and at 9.  Ive mentioned this a few weeks ago but I think Hockenson deserves his own thread

And yes, I'd love to pick up Hockenson, but not at #9, perhaps after a move back. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

When was the last time a 1st round TE worked out for the team that drafted him?

2007- Greg Olsen

2006- Vernon Davis

The next best case would be Ebron/Howard, but guys suck at blocking and cant stay healthy. Ebron didn’t perform in Detroit though. 

I have been anti TE for awhile, I’d be disappointed if they use a day one/two pick on the position. 

3 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

2007- Greg Olsen

2006- Vernon Davis

The next best case would be Ebron/Howard, but guys suck at blocking and cant stay healthy. Ebron didn’t perform in Detroit though. 

I have been anti TE for awhile, I’d be disappointed if they use a day one/two pick on the position. 

Olsen wasn’t drafted by the Panthers. Davis checks out though.

We just better not draft an o-linemen. I'm good with Hockenson or a defensive player. The guy is the real deal and game changing tight end. Guys with his skills do not often bust. Ebron was all projection with little substance and it took him awhile for things to click. Hockenson is a complete tight end who also has a huge upside, and that is what makes him worthy of a top ten pick. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Olsen wasn’t drafted by the Panthers. Davis checks out though.

He was good on the Bears.

Howard, Ingram and Njoku look promising from 2017.  Obviously, we don't know about Hurst from last year.  Eifert from 2013 wasn't a bust nor was Gresham in 2010.  Health Miller in 2005.  

I don't see much more of a bust rate than for any other position. 

I’ve never been a fan of people using the term ‘he’s a reach at...’.  Since you only get one pick per round you have to make a selection when it’s your turn at the podium. What people really mean to say is that the player will most likely still be on the board a few picks later so if at all possible try and get someone to trade out of your slot so you can get a couple more mid round picks as leverage for your position. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1