Free Agency Fool’s Gold

OldTimer1960

We need to chill a little bit on the so called list of free agents.  There will be cap casualties and new coaches cutting players that don't fit new schemes.  There are always players that are surprise releases.  I don't expect a bunch of top tier players to become available.  There will be a fair number of players available that will be an upgrade over what we already have.  I just hope that Beane doesn't spend the cap money unwisely but still goes after players to fill important holes.  As some have already said, the real difference makers for the long term will come via the draft.

If the front office people are doing their jobs, they know more about potential cuts than some sports reporter putting together a list.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

True, but at what price?  If you pay mildly competent players big money, you will end up right back in the hole they just dug themselves out of (IMHO).

I'd look for young guys that aren't gonna break the bank, yet are still upgrades to our huge gaps.  We should be fine if we just bring the roster to a competent level in areas of glaring need, and use the draft to pick up more stars.

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Here is a summary of this year’s FAs.  I don’t see much there to overspend on and get excited about.  I trust this F.O. to spend judiciously and find a few contributors, but I don’t see it is as a good plan to spend $60mill in cap space for any group of these guys.  These are gap fillers, not game changers.

I see no attainable long-term starters that are real significant starters.  I’d rather find a way to get more premium draft picks (top 64) than to spend heavily on any of these guys. Can they trade down in round one and nab another 2nd?  Can they trade up from the 3rd for another 2nd?  Can they trade 2 4ths for a late 3rd?  Can they get a 2nd or 3rd in trade for a player currently on the roster?

Money aside, what 2 or 3 FAs can you see in this class that are really top 1/3 of the league starters at their position?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001018706/article/top-101-nfl-free-agents-of-2019-demarcus-lawrence-at-no-1

2 Centers and one guard as well as a RT.  One TE and a bunch of defenders.  Now Tags and extensions may change that.

Just now, stuvian said:

I'd gladly take a flyer on DJ Fluker and Donte Moncrief. 

These 2 can be excellent value additions.  TY Neshke bkup LT from the Skins can also be a good find . He's started a few gms these last 2 yrs and graded out very well. Although he's gonna be 33yrs old doesn't have alot of wear and tear could be another Zo type for us.

2 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

We should get Gostkowski just to piss off NE.  Plus he's actually an upgrade from Hauska.

Gostkowski wasnt good the second half of last year: Hauska had an off year due to poor overalls special teams and multiple holders. Plus he got his bell rung and that didn’t help matters either. Hauska will be just fine imo.

37 minutes ago, offyourocker said:

Give me:

- Paradis

- Tyrell Williams 

- Anthony Barr

- Daryl Williams

and I would feel pretty good heading into the draft.  Richardson and Ansah as a bonus would elate me

And Jesse James...I wouldnt mind Ingram or Yelton either.

Darryl Williams RT from Carolina is the most interesting of the bunch.  Beane was in Carolina when they drafted him and during his first 2 years.  He’s a 26 year old All Pro coming off an injury.  It’s understandable if Carolina doesn’t want to give him a big contract, but Bills have the cap space to gamble on a guy like this.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Darryl Williams RT from Carolina is the most interesting of the bunch.  Beane was in Carolina when they drafted him and during his first 2 years.  He’s a 26 year old All Pro coming off an injury.  It’s understandable if Carolina doesn’t want to give him a big contract, but Bills have the cap space to gamble on a guy like this.  

I think everyone will be shocked if Buffalo doesn’t sign him very quickly once FA starts 

My list

- Paradis

- Daryl Williams/ Ju'wan Taylor

- Jesse James

That's about it. I'd be happy picking up someone like Thomas Davis as well and I'm sure we'll sign some depth, but the 3 guys up top fill needs that would allow us to draft BPA. You can pick up a G in the 3rd or 4th that should represent starting value. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

They don't have to be BIG NAME guys to contribute and play well. When they signed Hyde and Poyer everyone was a bit "meh" and they were seen as stop gaps until the following years draft. Turns out they've been great for us. It's all about finding guys who fit the system well.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'm not saying that there are no decent FAs available nor am I saying they should not sign any FAs.  However, I don't think that they should go out and spend 80% of their available cap space - mostly because there aren't that many good FAs available.  I hope that they can find one or two players to help the OL and maybe a few decent backup/rotational players - all of whom have to fit the McDermott/Beane culture.

Edited by OldTimer1960

Brandon Beane made his plan very clear.  The main reason he purged the salary cap were for:

1.  Freedom in pursuing guys they like in Free Agency (not necessarily going on a spending spree)

2.  Being able to re-sign their own drafted talent down the road

This front office still plans on building the roster through the draft.

One of the keys to not getting screwed in Free Agency is in how you structure the contract.  For all the complaints about us "overpaying" for Star Lotulelei, we can actually get out of the last two years very easily.  We could technically cut Trent Murphy right now and not suffer much cap hit at all.

Center

Defensive depth

Thats all we are getting in FA because thats all we will need. 

When Beaner trades back we will get a 2nd and a 3rd.  Thats two per round 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th.  A dozen picks in all.

This year's free agent class is lame compared to the exceptional college talent pool this draft.