The Oscars - Does anybody really care?

/dev/null

The Oscars - Does anybody really care?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. The Oscars - Does anybody really care?

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I would definitely vote for Rami Malek as best actor in bohemian rhapsody 

He's almost a shoe-in.  He's got two of the three criteria the Academy look for in a best actor: he plays a gay character, and he plays a real person.  If he'd cried, he'd be a lock.  Plus...not that the Academy cares, but it was a legitimately great performance.

Since Roma won best foreign language film...there's a good chance Black Panther wins Best Picture.  Which would be inexplicable to me - it was pedestrian, at best.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I would definitely vote for Rami Malek as best actor in bohemian rhapsody 

He was great.  That performance and the Wayne's World reference were great.  The rest of the movie was your typical cliched band biopic.

I skipped it, and I have been watching the Oscars for years.

I'm just sick of the pretentious speeches and the pompous attitude some of these people in the industry bring with them.

Some speeches are actually good and there are people who are deserving of some of the awards.

What really bothers me is the nominations. Political & Cultural messaging is now more important than artistic expression & talent. Why else did a movie like "Get Out" receive so many top nominations last year? Because it was a brilliant movie? :death:

Even though I have heard great things about "Green Book", "Bohemian Rhapsody", "The Favourite" & "A Star Is Born", I just can't bring myself to really care.

Maybe next year.

Just once, I’d like to see the network actually pull the plug on all these clowns right at the allotted time.  Shut them down, take them off the air precisely at 11 o’clock, finished our not.

Just once.  They’d never again have to worry about that ridiculous, narcissistic, self-serving spectacle running over.?

Edited by The Senator

4 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

I’m being attacked for being white on twitter because I enjoyed the green book ?

Lot of people are angry at Green Book > Black Panther for some reason.  

Green Book is the only one I’ve seen. Wife and I saw it a week ago. I was ver entertained. Made me recall a lot of bigotry and bias in the north.

4 hours ago, The Senator said:

Just once, I’d like to see the network actually pull the plug on all these clowns right at the allotted time.  Shut them down, take them off the air precisely at 11 o’clock, finished our not.

Just once.  They’d never again have to worry about that ridiculous, narcissistic, self-serving spectacle running over.?

NBC = Universal

ABC = Disney

CBS = Viacom

Fox = Fox

Do you really expect the Corporate Media to pull the plug in themselves?

No I didn't watch it and haven't done so in years. it seems to have turned into the Olympics of Political Correctness. Hollywood looks to be an artifact of an outdated monoculture. It appears to have lost touch with its audience.

That said,  I still watch some currently produced movies and TV. I cannot say the same for the music industry which produces nothing but immediately disposable techno-fizz.

• Like (+1) 1

The Oscars were always a bit bland in their winners anyway.  Alfred Hitchcock never win best director.  Martin Scorsese lost 5 times before winning for The Departed.  Imo, that was one of his weakest movies.

Directors like Ron Howard typically fared well.  People who make more sort of mainstream friendly pictures