The Oscars - Does anybody really care?

/dev/null

The Oscars - Does anybody really care?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. The Oscars - Does anybody really care?

I actually watched it for the first time in about 15 years or more. I enjoyed it for the most part. There was surprisingly little smack talk although there was the usual mastubatory self-referential fawning and preening of their special interest constituencies.

Leave no victim behind!

Wonder how horrified they’ll be when they realize they were staring at The POTUS’s coiffure all night. He’s been in their heads since 2016. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

I skipped it, and I have been watching the Oscars for years.

Even though I have heard great things about "Green Book", "Bohemian Rhapsody", "The Favourite" & "A Star Is Born", I just can't bring myself to really care.

I rarely watch the Oscars because I just don't care.  That aside, I saw three of these four (bolded) and enjoyed all.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, DC Tom said:

He's almost a shoe-in.  He's got two of the three criteria the Academy look for in a best actor: he plays a gay character, and he plays a real person.  If he'd cried, he'd be a lock.  Plus...not that the Academy cares, but it was a legitimately great performance.

Since Roma won best foreign language film...there's a good chance Black Panther wins Best Picture.  Which would be inexplicable to me - it was pedestrian, at best.

I thought "Black Panther" was a good movie, but it wasn't good enough to earn a best picture nomination.

10 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

I skipped it, and I have been watching the Oscars for years.

I'm just sick of the pretentious speeches and the pompous attitude some of these people in the industry bring with them.

Some speeches are actually good and there are people who are deserving of some of the awards.

What really bothers me is the nominations. Political & Cultural messaging is now more important than artistic expression & talent. Why else did a movie like "Get Out" receive so many top nominations last year? Because it was a brilliant movie? :death:

Even though I have heard great things about "Green Book", "Bohemian Rhapsody", "The Favourite" & "A Star Is Born", I just can't bring myself to really care.

Maybe next year.

Get Out was the best movie and most memorable  of last year. Awful take. 

And its an awards show.  What do you expect?  They are all meh.  Though I’m sure the diversity is very threatening to some of you.  

8 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I thought "Black Panther" was a good movie, but it wasn't good enough to earn a best picture nomination.

And yet, it did. 

I mean, technically I guess it was well-done.  There were no particular weaknesses in the movie.  But no particular excellence, either.  Merely...competent, I suppose.  

It probably deserved the production design award, though, and maybe original score (I don't really know what it was up against, so I can't judge.)

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

And its an awards show.  What do you expect?  They are all meh.  Though I’m sure the diversity is very threatening to some of you.  

The diversity is encouraging; the utter vanity and pomposity is disgusting.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, The Senator said:

The diversity is encouraging; the utter vanity and pomposity is disgusting.

Not sure why it’s disgusting but hats your opinion. People certainly get fired about a movie show.  I watched it with my lady, drank, and flipped back and forth to shark tank.  Solid Sunday.  

you Realize how many awful, unforgettable movies have won in the past?

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You're entitled to your opinion.

I saw "Get Out", it's decent, just grossly overrated. It did not deserve all of the fawning it got. Best Picture? Best Director? Best Actor? Best Original Screenplay? Please.

The Stepford Wives(insert African Americans for women) meets Frankenstein via Svengali, that is what "Get Out" is.

Let me also add that I've called out other overrated movies in the past that have gotten Best Picture nominations. "Ghost", "Four Weddings and a Funeral", "The Full Monty", "A Beautiful Mind", "Juno". Also, "Titanic" & "Argo" did not deserve to win during their respective years.

As for what I expect from awards shows, I expect some class, dignity and a little humility. Don't go up there and tell me how to vote or how I should be spending my money.

Gary Oldman had a very nice speech last year when he won Best Actor for "Darkest Hour", as did Brie Larson a couple of years ago when she won Best Actress for "Room". That is what I like to see.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

You're entitled to your opinion.

I saw "Get Out", it's decent, just grossly overrated. It did not deserve all of the fawning it got. Best Picture? Best Director? Best Actor? Best Original Screenplay? Please.

The Stepford Wives(insert African Americans for women) meets Frankenstein via Svengali, that is what "Get Out" is.

Let me also add that I've called out other overrated movies in the past that have gotten Best Picture nominations. "Ghost", "Four Weddings and a Funeral", "The Full Monty", "A Beautiful Mind", "Juno". Also, "Titanic" & "Argo" did not deserve to win during their respective years.

As for what I expect from awards shows, I expect some class, dignity and a little humility. Don't go up there and tell me how to vote or how I should be spending my money.

Gary Oldman had a very nice speech last year when he won Best Actor for "Darkest Hour", as did Brie Larson a couple of years ago when she won Best Actress for "Room". That is what I like to see.

Agree to disagree, respectfully. I thought Get Out was a great and original movie which Hollywood struggles to make now.  If you think it got too much credit for other factors than it being a good movie, I couldn’t disagree more.

and sure in a perfect world, these award shows would just be about saying thank you.  But I guess that’s not the world we’re in anymore. Because of social media, everyone puts their opinion on everything out there.  Like it or not, Hollywood people have a huge amount of influence (they always have).  I think it’s weird that people want actors to be more mature and shut up more than our “leaders.”  It’s a weird time to be alive. 

But yeah, most award shows are stupid. 

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Not sure why it’s disgusting but hats your opinion. People certainly get fired about a movie show.  I watched it with my lady, drank, and flipped back and forth to shark tank.  Solid Sunday.  

you Realize how many awful, unforgettable movies have won in the past?

Yes, I certainly do, but I think you meant ‘forgettable movies’ - tho maybe you did mean unforgettable because they were so bad.

I just find the entire spectacle a giant display of arrogance, conceit, vanity , narcissism, and pomposity.  Why do those clowns think they are in a totally different realm than the rest of the world, or that their opinions and causes deserve everyone else’s rapt attention?

Best acceptance speech ever?  George C.Scott in 1971,  for ‘Patton’, as he slept on his New York State Farm during the ceremonies.

(He told the academy he’d not only refuse the award, but wouldn’t even show up.  Did the same thing in 1960, for ‘The Hustler’, only that time the academy got pissed and didn’t nominate him.)

JMO

Edited by The Senator
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Senator said:

I am disappointed that the snotty racist pissant Spike Lee won anything at all...

https://apple.news/Ahh8DTsGvTImG83uek8EvgQ

He may be a racist POS, but he is a good film-maker. :thumbsup:

Not a fan of BKkKman though. Even though it was based on a true story, I didn’t think it was very realistic as portrayed. Duke should’ve known that the guy he met at the end wasn’t the guy he talked to over and over on the phone... like night and day different, in the movie at least.

Edited by Rico

12 minutes ago, Rico said:

He may be a racist POS, but he is a good film-maker. :thumbsup:

Not a fan of BKkKman though. Even though it was based on a true story, I didn’t think it was very realistic as portrayed. Duke should’ve known that the guy he met at the end wasn’t the guy he talked to over and over on the phone... like night and day different, in the movie at least.

I agree - he makes decent and topical films.

But when he opened his Brooklyn clothing boutique (aka t-shirt store) back in 1990, he refused to hire white employees, simply because they were white.  He insists on being interviewed only by black journalists.  He literally spews racism, almost hatred for all whites.  Yet, he throws a hissy fit when HE feels slighted.

Plus, he wears those silly hats and outfits!

• Awesome! (+1) 1