The Oscars - Does anybody really care?

/dev/null

The Oscars - Does anybody really care?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. The Oscars - Does anybody really care?

I was tempted to vote for Hypnotoad, but have never seen Futurama.  Likewise with all of the films, and most of the actors, nominated.

I usually tune in if one of my friends throws an Oscar party, or I like the host.  This year, no party, and no host.  

No, I have zero interest in Hollywood’s gaudy tribute to itself.  Biggest waste of 3+ hours imaginable!

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I would definitely vote for Rami Malek as best actor in bohemian rhapsody 

Never heard of him, didn’t see the movie.  But everyone I know that did see it says both he and the film were great.  I think he’s performing tonight, with Queen.

Hope he wins - I’ll find out tomorrow on the Today Show.

I enjoy some of the musical performances and root for some of the actors/actresses and movies that I’ve seen/liked. 

The Academy, or whatever the hell it is, doesn’t make any sense to me. Popular movies don’t necessarily win best picture, the most captivating actor doesn’t always will best performance. It’s a weird game. 

I voted yes because my wife and I have it on while I do some work in the background. 

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He, and that movie, were extremely entertaining 

8 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Never heard of him, didn’t see the movie.  But everyone I know that did see it says both he and the film were great.  I think he’s performing tonight, with Queen.

It was really really  good - I don’t see a ton of movies but that one is worth making time for imo.

I couldn't possibly care less. Watching self important people pat themselves on the back doesn't interest me. It is a bunch of empty narcissistic nonsense that people are programmed to deem meaningful somehow. I do enjoy a good movie, though I haven't been to the theater in many years. I generally don't watch commercial television except when necessary for sports.  I stream the movies and series I like.  Frank Zappa's 'I Am the Slime':

I am gross and perverted
    I'm obsessed 'n deranged
    I have existed for years
    But very little has changed
    I'm the tool of the Government
    And industry too
    For I am destined to rule
    And regulate you
    I may be vile and pernicious
    But you can't look away
    I make you think I'm delicious
    With the stuff that I say
    I'm the best you can get
    Have you guessed me yet?
    I'm the slime oozin' out
    From your TV set
    You will obey me while I lead you
    And eat the garbage that I feed you
    Until the day that we don't need you
    Don't go for help . . . no one will heed you
    Your mind is totally controlled
    It has been stuffed into my mold
    And you will do as you are told
    Until the rights to you are sold
    That's right, folks . . .
    Don't touch that dial
    Well, I am the slime from your video
    Oozin' along on your livin' room floor
    I am the slime from your video
    Can't stop the slime, people, lookit me go
    Oozin' along on your livin' room floor
    Can't stop the slime, people, lookit me go
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

I couldn't possibly care less. Watching self important people pat themselves on the back doesn't interest me. It is a bunch of empty narcissistic nonsense that people are programmed to deem meaningful somehow. I do enjoy a good movie, though I haven't been to the theater in many years. I generally don't watch commercial television except when necessary for sports.  I stream the movies and series I like.  Frank Zappa's 'I Am the Slime':

Over-Nite Sensation was a great album.  Zappa was a genius.

Edited by The Senator
  • Thank you (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

My wife and mother in law saw it at the theater and liked it. I had the naked bicycle race poster on my bedroom wall when I was 16 I guess. My mom freaked out and took it down. I will see it when it comes out on disc and I can crank up my stereo.

Edited by Turk71

20 minutes ago, The Senator said:

20 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I enjoy some of the musical performances and root for some of the actors/actresses and movies that I’ve seen/liked. 

The Academy, or whatever the hell it is, doesn’t make any sense to me. Popular movies don’t necessarily win best picture, the most captivating actor doesn’t always will best performance. It’s a weird game. 

I voted yes because my wife and I have it on while I do some work in the background. 

He, and that movie, were extremely entertaining 

BR was an excellent work of (mostly) fiction.