Chris Trapasso Mock Draft: Bills take DT Ed Oliver

YoloinOhio

• 1 month later...
On 1/28/2019 at 6:31 AM, CommonCents said:

Yeah, is he a firecracker or was that one foolish incident? He is the same size as Nkemdiche. Both were considered top overall picks at points in their college careers. 

I see the talent but this seems like a boom or bust selection. 

But Oliver dominated in games he played. Nkemdiche pretty much did nothing his whole college career.

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is the most realistic pick for 9. Id rather Q Williams, but would take Oliver over Josh Allen or Devin White. I'd even prefer Oliver over Bosa to be honest, as a fit of need meeting talent and process. I just think Bosa is gonna be too diva for a process loving blue collar type

I'd be thrilled with Oliver. He looks to me like a dominant 10-year starter at 3T. 

If anyone knows that being undersized doesn't necessarily keep a defensive tackle from being disruptive and productive, it should be the Buffalo Bills, who just watched an undersized guy do it for 12 seasons.

I think people underestimate the importance of a quality 3T to the sustained success of McDermott's defense. Whether it's a high pick or an expensive free agent, this highly underrated need WILL be filled this offseason.

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'd be thrilled with Oliver. He looks to me like a dominant 10-year starter at 3T. 

If anyone knows that being undersized doesn't necessarily keep a defensive tackle from being disruptive and productive, it should be the Buffalo Bills, who just watched an undersized guy do it for 12 seasons.

I think people underestimate the importance of a quality 3T to the sustained success of McDermott's defense. Whether it's a high pick or an expensive free agent, this highly underrated need WILL be filled this offseason.

I agree Logic. Whole heartedly!

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/28/2019 at 3:46 PM, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Ed Oliver gives us a franchise player on every level of the Defense. It's going to be hard to pass him up. Fits the city of Buffalo like a glove, 3 years of incredible productivity and fits a position of need/BPA.

3 franchise guys on 1 side and the other a QB and nothing else.

5 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Two names to consider in round 2..Riley Ridley or N'keal Harry. Both scream potential Franchise receivers to me. At a reasonable cost to boot. Rome wasn't built in a day

Edited by BuffAlone
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/28/2019 at 9:45 AM, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t have great confidence in our DL coach. And with Kyle gone, we lose that element of mentorship too. I’m not saying that’s a reason to pass on a talent ... but I would be less worried about bringing in a  vet where you already know who he is,  than a raw rookie on the DL. Not every rookie is considered raw though... some are more polished and were more well coached in college than others 

Plenty of old guys around.

3 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Yeah, if only we didn’t have 80 mill in cap room and 9 other draft picks.  Don’t act like one pick will make or break this franchise.  If we take Oliver and he’s a stud, we’ll be just fine and we’d have addressed the offense with other resources 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah, if only we didn’t have 80 mill in cap room and 9 other draft picks.  Don’t act like one pick will make or break this franchise.  If we take Oliver and he’s a stud, we’ll be just fine and we’d have addressed the offense with other resources 

Exactly. But some people just can't understand this for some reason. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Its a good point

I am a trade down guy.....but I fully expect there to be guys that can help u at most of those picks after the first round Iet us not forget.....guys like MIlano.. Taron Johnson, etc

I don't believe the DT position has a huge impact on games. Oliver may have the pass rush ability to make an impact. I would much prefer Jawaan Taylor but it is looking like he might go top 5. Oliver would be a nice consolation prize. 

31 minutes ago, billspro said:

I don't believe the DT position has a huge impact on games. Oliver may have the pass rush ability to make an impact. I would much prefer Jawaan Taylor but it is looking like he might go top 5. Oliver would be a nice consolation prize. 

I hear ya. For me a top 10 DT has to have a (potential of course)significant affect to the pass rush. Q Williams and Oliver absolutely do for me, and C Wilkins I think just makes it in there for me as well.

44 minutes ago, billspro said:

Kyle wasn't a pass rushing force at LSU. He honed his craft at the next level. A DT needs to clog the middle, freeing up LB'ers firstly. A dominant pass rush is just gravy and sets them apart as a force to be reckoned with. That said, Oliver is that force

13 hours ago, billspro said:

A great pass rushing DT has dramatically risen in importance as offenses have focused more on getting the ball out quick.  In back to back Super Bowls Fletcher Cox and Aaron Donald have had a big impact on not allowing Brady to get comfortable.  The back to back NFL Defensive MVP is a DT who profiles similar to Oliver, I don't see how you can say they don't have a huge impact on games.

45 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

A great pass rushing DT has dramatically risen in importance as offenses have focused more on getting the ball out quick.  In back to back Super Bowls Fletcher Cox and Aaron Donald have had a big impact on not allowing Brady to get comfortable.  The back to back NFL Defensive MVP is a DT who profiles similar to Oliver, I don't see how you can say they don't have a huge impact on games.

Theres maybe 3 DTs in the NFL that are game changers. If you don’t have decent DTs, maybe 3-5 teams you will struggle to stop the run. If you make a list of the most important positions DT is way down there for me. 

On 1/28/2019 at 8:31 AM, CommonCents said:

Yeah, is he a firecracker or was that one foolish incident? He is the same size as Nkemdiche. Both were considered top overall picks at points in their college careers. 

I see the talent but this seems like a boom or bust selection. 

one off incident. Silly and foolish all around. But c'mon. You don't take clothes off a cold grown man to send some dumb message. NFL players get at least this level of respect from coaches for the most part as professionals. I don't see a problem. Funny story though.