Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2018-19: Sabres picking 7th overall (6/21/19). Ralph Krueger hire as new head coach!

BillsFan4

18 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

'Nuff said. 

When it gets to the point of insulting the intelligence of the fan base, it's past the point of no return. Go back to high school coaching, Phil. Or find another assistant job in the pros, but make sure they have All Stars at the D position so you can take credit for making them great. 

3 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Please lose tonight.

Eh, as I posted the other day, it’s really not worth rooting for them to lose. 

The Sabres are pretty much locked in at either the #4 or #5 spot. You’re talking a 1% difference in odds. 

Iid I’d much rather see them win these last 3 games and go into the offseason with some positivity. Or at least less negativity than ending the season on a 10 game losing streak...

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Eh, as I posted the other day, it’s really not worth rooting for them to lose. 

The Sabres are pretty much locked in at either the #4 or #5 spot. You’re talking a 1% difference in odds. 

Iid I’d much rather see them win these last 3 games and go into the offseason with some positivity. Or at least less negativity than ending the season on a 10 game losing streak...

Actually we have a shot at 3 and NJ passing us.

This same sort of "positivity at the end of the season" was presented to Connor McDavid the other day (Oilers missing playoffs too this year) and he refreshingly said "It doesn't matter."

Next year is another year, no one is going to remember what happens this last few games.

LOSE and improve your odds of draft selection, even if marginally.

ALSO: more wins right now and a really ugly finish gives us a better shot at getting HC and/or GM fired, which is important for the long term improvement of this team.

I don't want to sit through another failed season next year b/c he we waited to fire Houlsey at T-giving...that will kill next year too.

Boy the Sabres are getting screwed so far tonight. 

I thought thst first Nashville goal was questionable, and the refs explanation was even more questionable. The refs said it went off his body, but it sure as heck looked like it hit his stick to me. 

And now that 2nd buffalo goal. No Nashville player ever touched it. That was 100% a good goal. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I thought thst first Nashville goal was questionable, and the refs explanation was even more questionable. The refs said it went off his body, but it sure as heck looked like it hit his stick to me. 

And now that 2nd buffalo goal. No Nashville player ever touched it. That was 100% a good goal. 

So I am just catching up and fast forwarding, but I agree they getting a little screwed tonight. 

• Like (+1) 1

Okposo must have made a pretty good buck for his time served here? I remember the day they signed him,Hamilton on GR  was luke warm about the addition.He was right.

Remember that guy..Ville Leino...he once missed a empty netter from 20 feet out.

Edited by Misterbluesky

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I agree with you that the Sabres got cheated out of the high sticking goal by the Preds. And the referee blew the call by blowing the whistle prior to Sheary's goal. The whistle should not have been blown on the Pred penalty because they didn't touch the puck. But in the grand scheme of things who cares? Getting a better draft position is making a positive out of a negative situation. 

What I liked about this game is that the Sabres played a tight game against a top echelon team that was playing for a better playoff position. As it was noted on the broadcast Jack played an exceptional game. He was the best player on the ice. I thought the difference in this game (also noted on the broadcast) is that the Pred's goalie didn't allow many rebounds.

The best that happened in this game was that Skinner finally scored. To his credit all through his extended goal scoring drought he always played hard and his game didn't change. The best pass in this game was Nylander's pass to Sheary for a breakaway that wasn't converted. I like Olofsson a lot. 

Obviously, the GM has to make some deals to bring in more talent. What is more important is how much better will Nylander, Olofsson, Mitts and Borgen, Pilut and Tage be next year? 

Edited by JohnC

3 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Hooray. Our generational talent played a good game. Break out the Dom Perignon.

If you criticize a player when he doesn't play well that is fair. When you criticize a player who did play well that is not. Jack was the best player on the ice yesterday. That was an obvious fact. 

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If you criticize a player when he doesn't play well that is fair. When you criticize a player who did play well that is not. Jack was the best player on the ice yesterday. That was an obvious fact. 

Great, he managed to do it for a game.

Let's see him do it for a SEASON.

Ya follow?

18 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...no worries....they DID.....Yawn....BTW, anybody think "Q" would come here for the "right price"??............

I think he would. The player situation isnt bad at all with a controlled Eichel and Dahlen.  Good cap situation ahead and an owner who is willing to provide resources.

What it comes down to is management structure.  How much control are they going to allow him?  Will he have to talk to the owner 1-3 times a day?  How does he feel about Botterill?

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, JohnC said:

John, I'm amazed at how you always seem to take the bait from the same two posters who do nothing but casually chime in with one line shots at either Jack Eichel or Tim Murray.  Come on man, you're smarter than this.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Wasn’t $5000, was it?

no, that is 4 figures, and would be well past significant for me!!!

Lest just say my mortgage is safe for the month LOL.

I had a feeling they would play a good, tight game last night, and they did. But damn, nothing can go right for this team. Heard Jeremy a while back say that while the numbers pointed to them not being all that good in the first half of the year..the numbers also point to them not being this bad, like awful bad in March. 

20 minutes ago, shrader said:

John, I'm amazed at how you always seem to take the bait from the same two posters who do nothing but casually chime in with one line shots at either Jack Eichel or Tim Murray.  Come on man, you're smarter than this.

Someone makes an ill-conceived point and I give a brief response in rebuttal. Isn't that how this board is supposed to work? There wasn't an extended and wasteful effort in exchanging with the poster who responded to me. 

If one wants to discuss the game I thought the Sabres played fairly well against a very good team. This was one of their few tighter games (over the last third of the season) in which they kept up the effort throughout the game. Even when there were some bad and damaging calls against them they didn't deflate as they usually do. To their credit they continued to push on. For much of the season there are valid reasons to criticize this team's performance. This was not one of them. That was my underlying point with my response.  

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Someone makes an ill-conceived point and I give a brief response in rebuttal. Isn't that how this board is supposed to work? There wasn't an extended and wasteful effort in exchanging with the poster who responded to me. 

If one wants to discuss the game I thought the Sabres played fairly well against a very good team. This was one of their few tighter games (over the last third of the season) in which they kept up the effort throughout the game. Even when there were some bad and damaging calls against them they didn't deflate as they usually do. To their credit they continued to push on. For much of the season there are valid reasons to criticize this team's performance. This was not one of them. That was my underlying point with my response.  

and i don't want this to devolve into the same argument we have had for the last 6 months...but I think the effort last night is not a great look for  Housley.. he  has underachieved with this group..talent is there, something else is missing that this type of effort is rarely given...for most teams its the opposite..back to back..6 in 9 ...you are going to get some poor efforts over the course of the season..but it should be the exception and not the rule

• Like (+1) 1

looking good in a game is not a validation for anything.  Ottawa smoked the Leafs the other day, Detroit beat Pittsburgh last night.  The league is designed to get most teams at or near .500.  That is what makes losing 15 of 16 games such a feat.

And, in this position, a coach crying to the media about how the refs "screwed" them is a really bad and petty look.  They failed to win a game in regulation in March, and have won 6 games in regulation out of 43 since Christmas.  The referees "screwing" the Sabres isn't what is happening.

13 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

looking good in a game is not a validation for anything.  Ottawa smoked the Leafs the other day, Detroit beat Pittsburgh last night.  The league is designed to get most teams at or near .500.  That is what makes losing 15 of 16 games such a feat.

And, in this position, a coach crying to the media about how the refs "screwed" them is a really bad and petty look.  They failed to win a game in regulation in March, and have won 6 games in regulation out of 43 since Christmas.  The referees "screwing" the Sabres isn't what is happening.

I hadn't thought to check this number until just now.  The Rangers are the only team in the league with less ROWs (any non-shootout win) than Buffalo.  Some might say a win is a win, but looking through the standings, it's amazing how clear it is that the ROW stat is a predictor of making the playoffs.  40 is a clear cutoff point.  Whoever loses out among the 3 team eastern conference wild card race will be the only team in the entire NHL with >40 ROWs to miss the playoffs.  Only one team in the league will make it with <40, likely Colorado taking the last spot out west.

The other obvious stat is goal differential.  Unless there's some crazy scores to end the season, there will be 17 teams with a positive goal differential.  Again, it will be only that one non-wild card team in the east that misses out on the playoffs.  It's amazing how clearly defined the top half and the bottom half of the league are this year.

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

and i don't want this to devolve into the same argument we have had for the last 6 months...but I think the effort last night is not a great look for  Housley.. he  has underachieved with this group..talent is there, something else is missing that this type of effort is rarely given...for most teams its the opposite..back to back..6 in 9 ...you are going to get some poor efforts over the course of the season..but it should be the exception and not the rule

The fundamental disagreement we have had for the past six months or so  is the same. My primary thesis is that the talent level is not sufficient. We have a number of good  prospects such as Mitts and Tage who simply weren't ready to play the meaningful roles that they were given. Although I understand why ROR was traded make no mistake that at least for the short term (this season) that it was a major setback for a roster that didn't have much margin for error to begin with.

On the issue of Housley we won't come to an agreement. Our positions are irreconcilable. I'm not declaring him the long-term answer at a HC but the source of this team's struggles relates to its current talent base. Whether Housley is dispatched or not the solution to this team's struggles revolves around adding more talent.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, zow2 said:

The Buffalo Sabres reason for existence....is to provide happiness to the fans of our opponents.  

No, the Buffalo Sabres reason for existence is to make fans cry enough so that Pegula can frack his wells with our tears. 

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

The fundamental disagreement we have had for the past six months or so  is the same. My primary thesis is that the talent level is not sufficient. We have a number of good  prospects such as Mitts and Tage who simply weren't ready to play the meaningful roles that they were given. Although I understand why ROR was traded make no mistake that at least for the short term (this season) that it was a major setback for a roster that didn't have much margin for error to begin with.

On the issue of Housley we won't come to an agreement. Our positions are irreconcilable. I'm not declaring him the long-term answer at a HC but the source of this team's struggles relates to its current talent base. Whether Housley is dispatched or not the solution to this team's struggles revolves around adding more talent.  

Per the bold text, I agree entirely and emphatically. We need more talented players. 

We also need more talent at head coach.

25 minutes ago, K-9 said:

No, the Buffalo Sabres reason for existence is to make fans cry enough so that Pegula can frack his wells with our tears. 

Per the bold text, I agree entirely and emphatically. We need more talented players. 

We also need more talent at head coach.

Exactly.  John and plenz's positions are not mutually exclusive.  I can see plenty of support for both.  The lack of talent is pretty glaring and the way this team quit, at least to me, is a reflection upon the coach.  I know some might want to say that they've been in this same position every year, but I won't agree on that one.  In the previous years, they sucked from start to finish.  While the streak may have been a mirage, there were still some signs of life even before it this year.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Heard Jeremy a while back say that while the numbers pointed to them not being all that good in the first half of the year..the numbers also point to them not being this bad, like awful bad in March. 

Maybe these numbers don't mean that much then?

2 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

Go out with a whimper. Lose two more and bring back phil, wonderful. Get those fast selling tickets next year when the promote what?

Can’t go out with a whimper. This is our only chance to win two in a row after going the last 47 games without achieving that miraculous feat! 

8 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

I actually think it would have been a much worse look if they hadn’t shown an effort last night.They were playing his old team.

I said to some friends before the game that this game would be a good test. If they didn’t show an effort last night I felt that it would be clear they really did quit on him.

25 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Ottawa starting a rookie goalie tomorrow night, does he get his first win and look like a seasoned Vet or do the Sabres counter this tank move with a super tank move by not starting any goalie?

I saw that too. 22yr old rookie fresh out of college. Shows a lot of respect for the Sabres goal scoring prowess, eh?  lol

It'll be interesting to see how he does. 

• Like (+1) 1