Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2018-19: Sabres picking 7th overall (6/21/19). Ralph Krueger hire as new head coach!

BillsFan4

10 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Ottawa starting a rookie goalie tomorrow night, does he get his first win and look like a seasoned Vet or do the Sabres counter this tank move with a super tank move by not starting any goalie?

You mean the Sabres turn the net around instead of a goalie?

17 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

1. Why would anyone want to play for the Sabres?

2. Why would anyone want to coach the Sabres?

1.)  Great hockey town.  Money.

2.)  Dahlin and Eichel.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

1.)  Great hockey town.  Money.

2.)  Dahlin and Eichel.

You write those as though other teams don't also have money or won't give maximum term (they will) or that other teams don't have equal or better versions of Dahlin and Eichel.  Many do. 

The difference is that Buffalo is....Buffalo, and big cities are big cities, if Skinner is interested in that sort of thing.  If he is, we can't compete in any way.

Also, we have a nice losing culture and the team is in a funk going on close to a decade now.

So there's that.

Skinner has shown he can score goals with any good center feeding him the puck and other teams will find a way to get him his goals too.

I would suggest we have zero leverage in trying to retain him.

There is one caveat: if Skinner is a small-town kind of guy who enjoys life in a small place like WNY with ease of traffic and so on, he may well choose to stay in WNY.  That's the only thing I can think of for why he would stay.  Many small town Canadians enjoy Buffalo for that reason. 

Skinner is from Markham, ONT, in the greater TO metro area.  So he's not really a small town guy.

I'm not in his head so I don't know he how truly feels about the big city/small city distinction.

Edited by Nextmanup

42 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

You write those as though other teams don't also have money or won't give maximum term (they will) or that other teams don't have equal or better versions of Dahlin and Eichel.  Many do. 

The difference is that Buffalo is....Buffalo, and big cities are big cities, if Skinner is interested in that sort of thing.  If he is, we can't compete in any way.

Also, we have a nice losing culture and the team is in a funk going on close to a decade now.

So there's that.

Skinner has shown he can score goals with any good center feeding him the puck and other teams will find a way to get him his goals too.

I would suggest we have zero leverage in trying to retain him.

There is one caveat: if Skinner is a small-town kind of guy who enjoys life in a small place like WNY with ease of traffic and so on, he may well choose to stay in WNY.  That's the only thing I can think of for why he would stay.  Many small town Canadians enjoy Buffalo for that reason. 

Skinner is from Markham, ONT, in the greater TO metro area.  So he's not really a small town guy.

I'm not in his head so I don't know he how truly feels about the big city/small city distinction.

I think the main advantage we have in signing Skinner is that it has been reported numerous times that living/playing near his family is something that’s important to him. He supposedly only had Toronto and Buffalo on his trade list, and I read that he may have considered Detroit as a fall back option. 

So if he really does want to live/play near his family, this is as close as he’s going to get. No possible way Toronto can afford him. 

He said a while back that he saw himself as a piece of the puzzle here, so I hope that still holds true. 

I’m still hoping everything works out and Botterill looks smart for slow playing this and letting Skinner cool off. Definitely don’t feel as confident about him signing as I did earlier in the year, though. 

Nice win by the Sabres tonight. They played a good game. Eichel was unbelievable. 

The Carolina Hurricanes won tonight and clinched a playoff spot for the first time in 9 years. Happy for them! 

Oh, and Guess what that means... 

The Buffalo Sabres now hold the NHL’s longest current playoff drought. Yay buffalo! lol

I wonder how many other markets had multiple professional teams that held the longest active playoff drought streak in their sport(s)? Is that another buffalo distinction or have there been other teams? Cleveland maybe? 

On a on a side note, I really wanted buffalo to sign Justin Williams when he was a free agent in 2017. He’s not Chris Drury but he’s cut from that same cloth. He would have been a heck of a veteran leader. But chances are he would have picked Carolina anyway. He spent most of his career there, so a return home made sense. 

Edited by BillsFan4

44 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

When will the great hockey fans be rewarded here? 

i welcome all of you to cheer for the Leafs playoff run this season, hopefully they put up a decent fight against Boston, for once...

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

i welcome all of you to cheer for the Leafs playoff run this season, hopefully they put up a decent fight against Boston, for once...

that first round series..no winners for me. Along with the Flyers, easily the three teams I hate the most. The only team I hate more in any sport is the Pats..

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

Won’t happen.

34 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Bwahahahahaha

The Leafs are done. The Sabres may actually tie the Leafs in playoff wins this season.

i have little hope the Leafs beat the Bruins, i will cheer for them though

19 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i have little hope the Leafs beat the Bruins, i will cheer for them though

I'm not inclined to root against either of these teams. Let them battle it out and let the better team prevail. The aspect of this matchup that makes this an intriguing contest for me is how differently each team is built. There is no question that the Leafs are a prolific scoring team with potency coming from different lines and multiple players. The issue for them (as I see it) is are they built for the regular season where there is a lot more room for the offense to flourish at the expense of playoff hockey which is a tighter, more physical and more defensive brand of game? It seems to me that the Bruins are more suited to that tougher and more restrictive brand of play. 

If Toronto wins the series they will probably continue on with what they are doing. For the sake of argument what will happen if the Leafs are decisively eliminated by the Bruins in the playoffs? Will they change to a more Lou Lamorillo (sic) brand of tight fisted hockey or will they continue on with their explosive offensive style of hockey where they simply outgun the opposition?  

Will be cheering for Boston in that series.

As always in a Sabres-less playoffs, I just want to see great hockey and don't really care who does the winning, with a few exceptions.

When it comes to Toronto, I love whoever they are playing.

Edited by Nextmanup

18 hours ago, JohnC said:

I'm not inclined to root against either of these teams. Let them battle it out and let the better team prevail. The aspect of this matchup that makes this an intriguing contest for me is how differently each team is built. There is no question that the Leafs are a prolific scoring team with potency coming from different lines and multiple players. The issue for them (as I see it) is are they built for the regular season where there is a lot more room for the offense to flourish at the expense of playoff hockey which is a tighter, more physical and more defensive brand of game? It seems to me that the Bruins are more suited to that tougher and more restrictive brand of play. 

If Toronto wins the series they will probably continue on with what they are doing. For the sake of argument what will happen if the Leafs are decisively eliminated by the Bruins in the playoffs? Will they change to a more Lou Lamorillo (sic) brand of tight fisted hockey or will they continue on with their explosive offensive style of hockey where they simply outgun the opposition?  

that is prolly the one thing i could root for..a 4-0 series sweep by the Bruins, Babcock fired and the Sabres hire him a day after he is fired.

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Will be cheering for Boston in that series.

As always in a Sabres-less playoffs, I just want to see great hockey and don't really care who does the winning, with a few exceptions.

When it comes to Toronto, I love whoever they are playing.

Yeah, I’ll be rooting against Toronto too. But I wouldn’t go as far as t9 say that I am rootain’t for Boston. My ideal 1st round would include both of hem being eliminated... lol. 

But really though, The only thing I truly care about is that both St. Louis and San Jose lose by the 2nd round. 

If they make it to the conference finals, it pushes their 1st into that 28-31 range. 

4 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

that is prolly the one thing i could root for..a 4-0 series sweep by the Bruins, Babcock fired and the Sabres hire him a day after he is fired.

Babock's wife would not stand for the relocation. You will end up having another year to continue with your haranguing of Housley. I will just remain quiet and privately snicker at your discomfort. :)

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yeah, I’ll be rooting against Toronto too. But I wouldn’t go as far as t9 say that I am rootain’t for Boston. My ideal 1st round would include both of hem being eliminated... lol. 

But really though, The only thing I truly care about is that both St. Louis and San Jose lose by the 2nd round. 

If they make it to the conference finals, it pushes their 1st into that 28-31 range. 

I believe that one of the first round picks was used in the Montour deal. I'm not sure which one? 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I believe that one of the first round picks was used in the Montour deal. I'm not sure which one? 

As of now it’s the St. Louis pick (currently #22). 

The San Jose pick is currently at #24. 

We we have to wait and see where everything falls after the draft lottery though. We will have a bit better idea after the regular season ends tonight. There is still a tint chance the St. Louis pick could end up at #19 (after the draft lottery) depending on what happens tonight. 

Anaheim gets the better of the 2 picks if the STL pick ends up #20 or higher. Buffalo keeps it if it ends up at #19. 

Then we also have to root for both STL and SJ to lose by the 2nd round of the playoffs. If one makes it to the conference finals, it pushes the pick to the 28-31 range. 

Skinner with #40! 

His first 40g season. And Buffalo has a 40 goal scorer for the first time since 2008 (iirc). 

I love that Housley moved him back to the top line for the 3rd and that all his teammates were trying to set him up to score, passing up chances of their own to get Skinner the puck. Love seeing that type of stuff. 

Wow, unbelievable. 7-1. 

I love it!  

When is the last time the Sabres ended the season with a win? It feels like forever. Especially a blowout 7-1 win...

I know it screws up their draft position by 1 spot but I’m still happy for a definitive win like this. 

The Rangers game is in overtime so that locks Buffalo into the #5 spot.

Now let’s hope for some draft lottery luck! 

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

As of now it’s the St. Louis pick (currently #22). 

The San Jose pick is currently at #24. 

We we have to wait and see where everything falls after the draft lottery though. We will have a bit better idea after the regular season ends tonight. There is still a tint chance the St. Louis pick could end up at #19 (after the draft lottery) depending on what happens tonight. 

Anaheim gets the better of the 2 picks if the STL pick ends up #20 or higher. Buffalo keeps it if it ends up at #19. 

Then we also have to root for both STL and SJ to lose by the 2nd round of the playoffs. If one makes it to the conference finals, it pushes the pick to the 28-31 range. 

With respect to where any of those two picks are located it doesn't matter. I strongly believe that the other one will be dealt off for a player or be involved in a trade package where we will get a front line player. 

Despite the chorus of opposition from the frenzied crowd here I hope the organization keeps Housley, even if he is on a short leash next year.  In my opinion we need coaching continuity instead of resorting to churning coaches when there are struggles. This is a much better team than it was last year. And hopefully that trend will continue and the upward trajectory will be even steepe next yearr.

The GM has to make it a priority to add a second line center and build a credible second line to augment the productive first line. Mittelstadt is going to be a good player but he is not ready to be a second center yet. This is a young team with plenty of potential to grow. Dahlin, Olofsson, Nylander, Borgen, Pilut and Tage were all essentially rookies. They all should be better next year.

Will Risto be dealt for a second line player? There were many reports that he was offered on the market this season. Although I get irritated by his dumb play I suspect that he will play better with less playing time. 

There are plenty of people here who have succumbed to the miasma of pessimism with this team. I'm not one of them. My recommendation is mostly stay the course. I understand why people have been frustrated and want to tear this team to shreds and go back to the drawing board. That would be a big mistake. It takes time to rebuild. This team is not in the beginning stage of the process but closer to being past the middle. If this organization has the courage to follow their plan/conviction the fans will be rewarded in the not too distant future. 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Happy for Skinner. 

I have nothing but admiration for Skinner. Whether he was scoring prolifically or in and extended scoring drought his effort-level stayed constant. He is a feisty SOB and a tough player to play against. I'm hopeful that he will be signed. It is a good situation for him and the organization. 

• Like (+1) 1

Well, things somewhat worked out for Buffalo last night (as far as potentially getting the higher STL pick). Almost every team we needed to win did. Has the Blues not won in the shootout like they did, their pick would have been #19. Currently it sits at #20 but we still have a chance...

If any of Colorado, Vegas, Dallas, or Columbus make their respective conference finals (and St. Louis does not), then St. Louis's pick will go up to the 19th pick (or as high as 17, potentially), and Buffalo would retain it.

So I know what teams I will be rooting for when the playoffs start! 

Vegas seems like the most likely to make the finals. Let’s hope Fleury gets hot again. 

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Who are the top two prizes in the lottery this year?

Jack Hughes (C) is probably the top prize and Kaapo Kakko (wing) going 2nd. 

It looks like tiers, as usual.

Hughes and Kakko are tier 1. Then there’s a tier from about 3-7. Then 8-9. Then a drop off. 

• Thank you (+1) 2