Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2018-19: Sabres picking 7th overall (6/21/19). Ralph Krueger hire as new head coach!

BillsFan4

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I don't see the Sabres signing one of the top free agents because of the high yearly salaries and more importantly length of contract that will put you in a cap bind. What I do see happening is the Sabres making trades with a team like Tampa that has a lot of cap pressure and some upcoming and emerging talent of young players that they can parlay. This will again be the scenario where you will here a lot of Risto trade talk. The challenge that Botterill has is to bring on board young and emerging players who will grow with our own young players. That's why I foresee a trade deal more likely than a blockbuster big name free agent deal. These type of deals are more likely to occur around the draft. 

YOLO may have more inside knowledge about Panarin but the rumor is that he wants to play in New York. 

Panarin wants to play in a big time market that is also by the ocean, apparently. It is what he considers his American Dream.

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Panarin wants to play in a big time market that is also by the ocean, apparently. It is what he considers his American Dream.

I now fully expect him to sign with Minnesota.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, shrader said:

I now fully expect him to sign with Minnesota.

Does a thousand lakes equate to qualifying as an ocean? If you see Panarin start to wear Cowboy hats I will then make a bold prediction that he will sign with Dallas. 

37 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Does a thousand lakes equate to qualifying as an ocean? If you see Panarin start to wear Cowboy hats I will then make a bold prediction that he will sign with Dallas. 

I’m starting to think that he will not be moved before the deadline and will be a FA 

?

21 hours ago, JohnC said:

Is Risto your new cause for jettisoning? He is a workhorse and one of our authentic muscle players. Despite the analytics I would prefer keeping him as one of our core players. That is not to say that I wouldn't be open to deal him or anyone if the deal made this team better. 

When you say up I say down. When you say stop I say go. When you say fire him I say keep him. You are my guidance. :)

Risto is that perfect argument..the eye test says one thing, the advanced stats say another. As you know, i have been saying for two years now that Risto's possession numbers  are awful, and when he is on the ice the Sabres possession numbers are pretty bad. Housley wants his D to control play and possess the puck so maybe not a fit for this coach but will be for the non knucklehad coaching next year?

Really is a good read here on Risto and why he may be an attractive trade option for the Sabres and why others may value his games

https://www.diebytheblade.com/2019/2/19/18230323/it-may-be-time-for-the-buffal-sabres-to-use-rasmus-ristolainen-as-a-trade-chip

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

I don't see the Sabres signing one of the top free agents because of the high yearly salaries and more importantly length of contract that will put you in a cap bind. What I do see happening is the Sabres making trades with a team like Tampa that has a lot of cap pressure and some upcoming and emerging talent of young players that they can parlay. This will again be the scenario where you will here a lot of Risto trade talk. The challenge that Botterill has is to bring on board young and emerging players who will grow with our own young players. That's why I foresee a trade deal more likely than a blockbuster big name free agent deal. These type of deals are more likely to occur around the draft. 

YOLO may have more inside knowledge about Panarin but the rumor is that he wants to play in New York. 

i don’t see them signing a top FA either. The only one I could potentially see is Duchene, since there was some rumors of buffalo being interested in him. But he will likely cost too much and/or go to a winning team like Nashville. 

I was talking more more about some of the lesser free agents that could plug holes for Buffalo. Like Brassard or Staal or Hayes as a temporary 2C, or one of the wingers (not named Panarin) to help fill out the top 6.

This is almost a historically deep free agent class. I’m not saying to go out and  overpay, but there’s too much depth in this free agent class, and Buffalo has too many holes to fill, not to take advantage of it at all. 

As far as Panarin, I’ve heard it’s either LA, NYC (Rangers, isles) or Florida. That he either wants to be in a big market (for his girlfriend’s modeling career iirc) or in Florida for the weather. 

31 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

?

Risto is that perfect argument..the eye test says one thing, the advanced stats say another. As you know, i have been saying for two years now that Risto's possession numbers  are awful, and when he is on the ice the Sabres possession numbers are pretty bad. Housley wants his D to control play and possess the puck so maybe not a fit for this coach but will be for the non knucklehad coaching next year?

Really is a good read here on Risto and why he may be an attractive trade option for the Sabres and why others may value his games

https://www.diebytheblade.com/2019/2/19/18230323/it-may-be-time-for-the-buffal-sabres-to-use-rasmus-ristolainen-as-a-trade-chip

I could see McCabe as a candidate too, whether it's now of in the offseason.  That's another middle of the pack guy who is going to have some good value in the so called hockey deal.

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

I was talking more more about some of the lesser free agents that could plug holes for Buffalo. Like Brassard or Staal or Hayes as a temporary 2C, or one of the wingers (not named Panarin) to help fill out the top 6.

This is almost a historically deep free agent class. I’m not saying to go out and  overpay, but there’s too much depth in this free agent class, and Buffalo has too many holes to fill, not to take advantage of it at all. 

Yes to Brassard.  No thanks to Hayes or Stall.

I would think they could get two solid 2nd line forwards in Free Agency.  Brassard would be a good start.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

I could see McCabe as a candidate too, whether it's now of in the offseason.  That's another middle of the pack guy who is going to have some good value in the so called hockey deal.

I would hope they keep both.  I'd prefer that they get young talent and keep bouncing both Ristolainan's and McCabe's ice time downward.

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

?

I am not an ardent fan of analytics because the numbers don't always reflect the proper role for the player. In my view Risto is more of a second pairing caliber defenseman. In that role he would get less playing time and face less accomplished second-line forwards which would result in better numbers for him. 

My feeling is that other than Jack, Skinner and Dahlin and maybe Reinhart every player is worth considering as a trade chip. The next priority for the GM is for him to build a credible second line that would take some of the scoring pressure off of the first line. I expect some trade action to happen after the season. 

14 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Cliff Pu was just traded to Florida for future considerations (so, basically for nothing). 

Damn. That Skinner trade looks amazing if we re-sign him. 

That's a part of their trade for Jurco.  There's probably some games being played protect an asset or take into account money issues.

Tonight’s games: 

buff vs leafs...need to take the 2 pts. 

Canadiens vs. NJ....A Montreal loss tonight would move the Sabres within 5 points. 

Tomorrow’s games to watch: 

Columbus plays Pitt tomorrow so I’m not sure who we want to win that game since they are 7 and 6 points ahead of us respectively. 

Carolina plays LA...the hurricanes are currently 6 up on us.

5 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Jason Botterill is going to be on WGR550 at 3:50pm. 

They said it it sounds like there will be some type of news.

Maybe a Skinner extension? 

I’d think this info would leak first, no? My guess is he will field questions about the trade, deadline, etc

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

We wasted a 3rd round pick on this guy.

I liked him and he added some toughness to a soft team desperately in lack of toughness...

But these guys just didn't like him and he didn't fit into the plans here.  A 6th round in return is like getting nothing in return.

They needed to move a D-man off the roster so there you go, but I feel he was a waste of development potential.

21 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

We wasted a 3rd round pick on this guy.

Agree. Not the best asset management. I’d have probably preferred to just keep him, but he requested a trade (and/or more playing time but once you have your agent go to the media with a request like that, this is usually the end result). 

But I don’t really fault botterill for the trade. I was ok with it at the time. I thought it was a low risk type of move, and it took advantage of the expansion draft roster squeeze which I liked. 

• Like (+1) 1