Would a Hunter Renfrow/Wes Welker help us more than an AJ Green

30 minutes ago, billvernsays said:

Reliable hands and someone who can get open quickly. 

Last night Renfrow ran a corkscrew pattern on a 3rd and 4 so effortlessly that I thought to myself how nice that would be to have on the Bills. 

I'm sure that this kid is on the Bills radar already.  He has been productive playing on the best college football team over the last 4 years.  IMO he has a number of attributes that the Bills should find appealing not least of which is that he was a walk on who earned his scholarship by producing in practice & on the field.  Is he the next Welker?  Who knows but the odds are against it as Welker was a borderline HOF guy IMO.  But if he can give you a couple of Welker like seasons then he would be a great pickup in the middle rounds.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

How many Super Bowls did Calvin Johnson win?  

Now how many Super Bowls did Troy Brown win?  How about Doug Baldwin?  How about Deion Branch?  How about Julian Edelman?  

I don’t understand why is everyome is so stuck on this “there are no Calvin Johnson” type WRs in this draft statement.  I mean, when has that type of WR been the key to the SB?  Without looking, I am actually struggling to think of one of those type of WRs that have won one recently.

Julio, OBJ, Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, TO, Calvin, Hopkins, Mike Evans, AJ, Adams, Moss...no SBs and few played in one even.  

Most SB teams don’t have lixury of those types of WRs.  We don’t need a “Calvin” type prospect to be a potent offense.  Rams and Chiefs dont have one and were the most explosive offenses in the NFL.  I mean Hill is like 4 feet tall and dominating.

This draft is deep at WR, loads of talent.  People keep brushing it off because of this “No Calvin” type guy.  How much did Cooper Kupp help Goff?  Quite a bit.  We can find a lot of talent at WR in this draft. 

The Bills need good WRs, thats not debatable and I doubt theres anyone who would argue against that

But looking through the big names you listed, I wouldn't say that any of them are the reason why their team never won a SB, some of them may have been key reasons why their team was in contention for one. Many were drafted early and ended up on bad teams that couldn't put the all the pieces together to win a championship

This argument is the same as the Debate over franchise QBs. How many SB championships do Kelly, Marino, Tarkenton, Fouts, & Moon have? Combined they have less then Mark Rypien, or Brad Johnson, or Trent Dilfer. So you don't need a franchise QB..........

AJ Green will be 31 and has had a lot of injuries.

If I am Beane, I am not giving up much for that if that is the way they go for a WR.

Granted a vet WR like him would be a huge help to Allen.

A 4th round pick at most is what I would give up for Green. If Cincinnati wants more.......... move on. Cleveland only gave up a 4th rounder for a younger/healthier Jarvis Landry.

Nuff said.

Small slot receivers are great but I’ve seen too many checkdown QBs become too reliant on that outlet. In the case of Josh Allen I think that wouldn’t be an issue as he needs to learn to get the ball out faster against blitz packages.

I always thought Wes Welker was an elite route runner with questionable hands. Even Gisele posted the catching issues about Welker. What we need for JA are sure hands (to catch those bullets and an advanced ability to make contested catches. I dont think JA will ever be a precise thrower like a Brees (and that is not too bad a thing). So I will pass on a Welker. Just my 2 bits. I dont know how reliable Renfrow is - but if he is like Welker, I will pass.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

The Bills need good WRs, thats not debatable and I doubt theres anyone who would argue against that

But looking through the big names you listed, I wouldn't say that any of them are the reason why their team never won a SB, some of them may have been key reasons why their team was in contention for one. Many were drafted early and ended up on bad teams that couldn't put the all the pieces together to win a championship

This argument is the same as the Debate over franchise QBs. How many SB championships do Kelly, Marino, Tarkenton, Fouts, & Moon have? Combined they have less then Mark Rypien, or Brad Johnson, or Trent Dilfer. So you don't need a franchise QB..........

I’m not knocking those WRs, I’m disputing this notion that it’s a weak WR draft because there isn’t a “Calvin” type WR in it.  Point wasn’t to knock those players, it was to show that we don’t need to find one of those rare talents to be a good offense.  There is a lot of WR talent in this draft even though there is no Calvin type prospect.

If we can pair up AJ Green with Josh Allen that would be scary. Also get some stud Olinemen. 

It it all depends in Cincinnati would trade him  and what the asking price would be... I would give a 2nd and a 4th for him. 

6 hours ago, billvernsays said:

Not really, I’m a big picture guy. I used Renfrow because he played in the game last night. It doesn’t have to be him specifically and he certainly doesn’t need to be white. (I specifically mentioned McKenzie along the same lines). 

Obviously AJ Green is more valuable right now than a 4-6th round WR.  But when you take everything into consideration I’m asking what’s the better play for the franchise.

AJ Green is the move if you think this team can win a Super Bowl with him, do you think we’re there yet?

Matt Stafford had Calvin Johnson, probably the best WR I’ve ever seen for the better part of his career. He certainly helped Matts numbers but I’m not sure that he made Stafford a better QB.  I’m just asking what’s better for us right now. 

I too, am a big picture guy. All-pros > than guys that you can sign off a practice squad (ie McKenzie). 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, billvernsays said:

I feel like I should start practicing disliking the guy since he will 100% be a New England Patriot. 

In all seriousness, As much as I would like a legit number 1 WR for Josh Allen I cant help but think having a Renfrow type (Reliable Hands, Quick, Excellent route runner) might be the best type of WR for JA’s  development. It could be why Our Front Office wanted Isiah McKenzie so bad. 

Im not suggesting that I’d rather Renfrow over an AJ Green as a rookie. But when you add in things like the likely acquisition cost, injury history, and age I think it’s probably the better option. 

Im curious to hear how others on this board feel about the state of our WR Corps and how they suggest improving it.  

We have Zay and McKenzie for that position, but with that being said the guy does catch everything.  I think our primary targets for the draft and FA will be OLine but I wouldnt be surprised at all if we took him.  I realy like the Williams signing for that bigger WR spot so I believe he would be a guy that improved us more than AJ would.  Then we have to figure out if they are smart enough to play WR in this Offense.  Especially if we spent what it would cost to aquire AJ and the WR responsibilities were too much for him as they were in NE for Ocho.

10 hours ago, njbuff said:

AJ Green will be 31 and has had a lot of injuries.

If I am Beane, I am not giving up much for that if that is the way they go for a WR.

Granted a vet WR like him would be a huge help to Allen.

A 4th round pick at most is what I would give up for Green. If Cincinnati wants more.......... move on. Cleveland only gave up a 4th rounder for a younger/healthier Jarvis Landry.

Nuff said.

I don’t disagree with what your saying , but I think the value in having AJ Green is that he’s a solid/dependable/veteran who automatically becomes our #1 WR , KB was supposed to take that role , bottom line

we need to have at least one WR of that same type as AJ G , Do we really want start the 2019 season with with unproven rookies? I’m not an expert by any means but we all know  that it takes a year or two for a WR to develop,  I guess Zay J was a perfect example ?  he’s not there’s yet but hopefully he will take another step forward and becomes a solid target for Allen , 

im just wondering how much difference would AJ Green make if  he was on roaster this year ?  I do believe that we would have won a game ( maybe even two )  and what about Allen completion % ?  

Edited by Putin

11 hours ago, billvernsays said:

Not really, I’m a big picture guy. I used Renfrow because he played in the game last night. It doesn’t have to be him specifically and he certainly doesn’t need to be white. (I specifically mentioned McKenzie along the same lines). 

Obviously AJ Green is more valuable right now than a 4-6th round WR.  But when you take everything into consideration I’m asking what’s the better play for the franchise.

AJ Green is the move if you think this team can win a Super Bowl with him, do you think we’re there yet?

Matt Stafford had Calvin Johnson, probably the best WR I’ve ever seen for the better part of his career. He certainly helped Matts numbers but I’m not sure that he made Stafford a better QB.  I’m just asking what’s better for us right now. 

I'm all in on this.  I do not believe in the "#1WR stuff."  How many Superbowl winners in the last two years had a WR drafted in the first round that also served as the classic "#1WR."  Not many. 

Its all about the offensive line.  If you have a good OL, average WRs will get open.  Besides, WRs getting open has as much to do with skill as it does talent.   

Another reason why I hated the Ray Ray pick.  He wasn’t even the best slot receiver on his college team.  Would have even started this year there?

but a great way to think of a receiving core is to have a basketball team.  You need guys of various sizes and skills - big guy, small quick one, a mix of those two.  We should pick up at least 3 or 4 receivers this offseason.

12 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

If we could get Renfrow in the 3rd or 4th round I would grab him in a heart beat.  Are people aware that this kid holds the record for most receptions in the college football playoffs?  Now this is mostly becasue the playoffs are only 5 years old and Clemson is a regular participant but it's still a startling stat if you think about all the talent that's been on the field the last few years.  And Renfrow also caught the last second National Championship game winning TD pass against Bama a couple of years ago.  He is clutch and as a walk on he has that hunger you want to see in a rookie. 

There is no reason the Bills can't go after a big time WR and still draft Renfrow in the middle rounds.  There is no substitute for excellent hands and route running ability.  I mean if this guy could be like Wes Welker we will have hit a home run.  Do people remember how much Welker and later Danny Amadillow killed the Bills over the years? 

Renfrow is the classic possession receiver , great hands and tough as hell. If he's ther in the 4th I use one of our 2 on him in a heartbeat.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, billvernsays said:

I feel like I should start practicing disliking the guy since he will 100% be a New England Patriot. 

In all seriousness, As much as I would like a legit number 1 WR for Josh Allen I cant help but think having a Renfrow type (Reliable Hands, Quick, Excellent route runner) might be the best type of WR for JA’s  development. It could be why Our Front Office wanted Isiah McKenzie so bad. 

Im not suggesting that I’d rather Renfrow over an AJ Green as a rookie. But when you add in things like the likely acquisition cost, injury history, and age I think it’s probably the better option. 

Im curious to hear how others on this board feel about the state of our WR Corps and how they suggest improving it.  

I think one of those guys or a similar type WR on the roster would be helpful, but still need to get an outside type of guy.  Foster could become a good #2 and think Zay may be better suited for the slot. Having one of these reliable always makes the catch type of guy as you're #4 could help.  And maybe Oh Canada is #5 or maybe he jumps all the way up to #2 for all we know.