Trump To Address The Nation Tonight

BIGGEST TRUMP LINE: "Some suggested a barrier is immoral. Then why do politicians build walls around their homes? They don't build walls bc they hate people on the outside. But bc they love the people on the inside. The only thing that's immoral is politicians who do nothing"

Dwb3GpqU0AAsGCa.jpg

Other internet responses

No, Mr. Bond. We expect you to die.”

Your father and I aren't angry with you, just ... disappointed.

This is what you see when you show up at the gates of Hell.

31 minutes ago, meazza said:

Chandler has always been an #######.

I used to watch this guy when he was MSNBC's answer to Bill O'Reilly on "Scarborough Country," back when they were still trying to pass themselves off as balanced.

He was the conservative, principled, slightly moralistic former Republican congressman who liked to cast himself in the mold of Jimmy Stewart in Mr. Smith goes to Washington. He was a little dull, but he was alright.

I didn't see this guy for 10+ years. Then I happen upon him by way of Twitter and now he's a petty, left-wing, *****-slinging, yet still ironically sanctimonios, weirdo. It's so bizarre. I can't recall seeing such an extreme personality transformation since Al Gore's campaign.

Edited by Rob's House

30 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Dwb3GpqU0AAsGCa.jpg

Other internet responses

No, Mr. Bond. We expect you to die.

I thought Crenshaw was the perfect Bond villain in Congress. These two idiots managed to beat the eyepatch.

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

Looking at them makes me wish for two eyepatches.

Just as well, after looking at them, at least we now know that the zombie apocalypse has come.

Just now, njbuff said:

How anyone takes those two Crypt Keepers seriously is beyond me.

Why weren't walls immoral when Obama or Bush II was in office?

Simple, because #OrangeManBad.

16 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Trump’s right, there’s little reason not to build it.  Will it stop all illegals?  No.  Will it help? Yes.   Is it expensive?  Yes.  Is it expensive relative to what we spend on all kinds of crap?  No.

EVERYONE knows the circumstances.  It's all about not letting Trump get his wall...nothing else. It's just not openly acknowledged by Democrats. 

It's pathetic. 

Judging from the reactions across the spectrum, it seems this was a pretty good move for President Trump and a colossal failure for the Dems. 

Chuck & Nancy (& msm for that matter) took what would have been a modest win for the President & turned it into a big victory for him with their unforced errors.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Rob's House said:

I used to watch this guy when he was MSNBC's answer to Bill O'Reilly on "Scarborough Country," back when they were still trying to pass themselves off as balanced.

He was the conservative, principled, slightly moralistic former Republican congressman who liked to cast himself in the mold of Jimmy Stewart in Mr. Smith goes to Washington. He was a little dull, but he was alright.

I didn't see this guy for 10+ years. Then I happen upon him by way of Twitter and now he's a petty, left-wing, *****-slinging, yet still ironically sanctimonios, weirdo. It's so bizarre. I can't recall seeing such an extreme personality transformation since Al Gore's campaign.

It's what happens when you align yourself with the worst sorts of monsters because they help you execute a plain as day, fully in view cover-up of the murder of one of your young female staffers in your congressional office.

• Like (+1) 1

DwcU1nPUwAAY_ot.jpg:large

And we'd have gotten away with it, too, if it weren’t for you darn kids!”

"I'm giving the rebuttal."

"No, I'M giving the rebuttal."

"How about we both do it." "

Fine.

What's the worst that could happen?"

“You think you’re protecting yourself from Mexico, but when you build that wall, you’ll be locked in here. With us.”

RECAP:

DwcRuDtUwAAfaOS.jpg

One More:

DwcDAcUW0AEc0uV.jpg

• Haha (+1) 5

From Trump's echo chamber:

"Trump has insisted that federal workers are willing to endure some pain during the partial shutdown - which affects about 800,000 government employees in all - because they agree with him on the imperative of fortifying the border."

Ah... Yeah, right Disco Donny.  Federal workers endure pain? I went to training session and the bureaucrats brought pillows to sit on because the chairs were too hard.  Nice one Don... 

3 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

Why the left loses so much...

Internet spends the night mocking Schumer and Pelosi...but echo chamber tells them what they want to hear.

Yeah. Instant hit. :lol:

Schooling the President?????

WTF planet are these people on?

God, leftists are so stupid.

6 hours ago, Rob's House said:

Judging from the reactions across the spectrum, it seems this was a pretty good move for President Trump and a colossal failure for the Dems. 

Chuck & Nancy (& msm for that matter) took what would have been a modest win for the President & turned it into a big victory for him with their unforced errors.

Really? Because from all the reactions come this morning it's that it was a loss for both. 

It certainly has for my brainstem. I feel dumber after watching all of Trump's speeches. It would certainly explain you lot. :P

Both addresses were pretty banal to me.  A Trump subdued is not fun and the lack of charisma on the Democratic was pretty obvious.  Schumer and Pelosi are terrible public speakers.  Did Obama request too much money to make the address for them?

33 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Really? Because from all the reactions come this morning it's that it was a loss for both. 

It certainly has for my brainstem. I feel dumber after watching all of Trump's speeches. It would certainly explain you lot. :P

Can you quote and give examples of such instances?  Or is it your preferred method to stop by, babble, rabble rouse, then move on from past messages and attachments to them?

16 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Can you quote and give examples of such instances?  Or is it your preferred method to stop by, babble, rabble rouse, then move on from past messages and attachments to them?

Well, because of your poor syntax, I am not sure of which you mean: that is was a loss for both sides, or that I felt dumber by watching.

I can, in fact, provide both.

Here is the collection of the ones where pundits were...shall we say mixed: https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/facing-pressure-networks-fact-check-trump-speech/2019/01/08/9ee81efc-13c3-11e9-ab79-30cd4f7926f2_story.html?utm_term=.47281e3f703b

Here in particular is one from Fox News:

Shepard Smith conducted a rapid-fire rebuttal of some of the president’s claims during his coverage on the Fox broadcast network. After Trump talked about crimes committed by undocumented immigrants, Smith said, “government statistics show there is less violent crime committed by the undocumented immigrant population than by the general population.” He said that border crossings along the southern border haven been dropping.

“The president said law enforcement professionals have requested the $5.7 billion (for the wall),” Smith said. “It’s he who requested it and he who said he would own the shutdown.”

Regarding that it was a wash: 

By airing the rebuttal from Pelosi and Schumer, the networks did something that is seldom done for presidential speeches, except for events like the State of the Union address, said former NBC News executive Mark Lukasiewicz, now dean of the Hofstra University communications school. That sets a precedent that may be tough for them to back away from in future events, he said.

Lukasiewicz argued that for the networks, it was an awkward night that would not please either side of the debate over border security.

“The president made no news and no new proposals,” he said. “It is hard to argue this night was about anything other than pure politics — and the networks interrupted programming to accommodate it.”

Now, as to the parts that made my brain hurt. In particular, the line from the president: "this situation could be solved in a 45 minute meeting"

Mostly because...it's true. The government shutdown could be finished in 45 minutes. The House just passed a bunch of spending bills to reopen the government. The Senate, back in 2018, passed those measures by unanimous vote. All that would be necessary to reopen the government would be for Trump to sign in, and then go about brokering a deal to get more border wall funding.

Hell, I think there's a good chance that if this continues much longer, the House can get a 2/3rds majority for a veto override. And, again, unanimous Senate passage so we could solve it easily if Trump says "ok, I'll finish off the shutdown I chose to own" or Republican House leadership releases their people to vote their conscience, this would be over in a heartbeat.

13 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Well, because of your poor syntax, I am not sure of which you mean: that is was a loss for both sides, or that I felt dumber by watching.

I can, in fact, provide both.

Here is the collection of the ones where pundits were...shall we say mixed: https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/facing-pressure-networks-fact-check-trump-speech/2019/01/08/9ee81efc-13c3-11e9-ab79-30cd4f7926f2_story.html?utm_term=.47281e3f703b

Here in particular is one from Fox News:

Regarding that it was a wash: 

Now, as to the parts that made my brain hurt. In particular, the line from the president: "this situation could be solved in a 45 minute meeting"

Mostly because...it's true. The government shutdown could be finished in 45 minutes. The House just passed a bunch of spending bills to reopen the government. The Senate, back in 2018, passed those measures by unanimous vote. All that would be necessary to reopen the government would be for Trump to sign in, and then go about brokering a deal to get more border wall funding.

Hell, I think there's a good chance that if this continues much longer, the House can get a 2/3rds majority for a veto override. And, again, unanimous Senate passage so we could solve it easily if Trump says "ok, I'll finish off the shutdown I chose to own" or Republican House leadership releases their people to vote their conscience, this would be over in a heartbeat.

Those are not fair and worthwhile sources. Just because WaPo put them together in sound bites.  Can you try harder?

10 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Those are not fair and worthwhile sources. Just because WaPo put them together in sound bites.  Can you try harder?

...I am going to screencap the part where you said that Fox News is not a fair and worthwhile source. Just for the record. 

How about NPR News? Pretty much the most straight line, centrist reporting? (https://www.allsides.com/news-source/npr-media-bias)

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/09/683474397/7-takeaways-from-president-trumps-oval-office-address

But there were a lot of questions about how this president would do in an Oval Office address, a venue a lot of past presidents have struggled in. Trump was able to make and read his argument without much of a hitch, though it was a very dark speech. (In a tweet late Tuesday, the president seemed to almost congratulate himself, saying to his millions of followers: "Thank you for soooo many nice comments regarding my Oval Office speech. A very interesting experience!") But appearances matter far less than the substance, and Tuesday night's address seemed to move the substantive debate — over a southern border wall and border security more broadly — forward very little.

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/08/683205814/fact-check-trumps-oval-office-pitch-for-a-border-wall

Last week, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi condemned the president's proposed border wall as costly, ineffective and immoral. "We're not doing a wall," Pelosi said. "A wall is an immorality between countries." Though, as the president noted, congressional Democrats including Schumer have at times supported border barriers in the past. Nearly 700 miles of wall and fencing have already been built along the U.S. border with Mexico since 2006. Some have argued that where walls make sense, they have already been built and where they haven't been built, they don't make sense. Each party is seeking to blame the other for the partial government shutdown. According to a new Reuters/Ipsos Poll, 51 percent blame the president, an increase of 4 points from a similar poll just before Christmas. The same poll found only about about 4 in 10 Americans support the idea of additional fencing along the border, and support has fallen since 2015. Among Republicans, however, support for the wall is stronger, with 77 percent supporting additional fencing and 54 percent approving of a shutdown as a means to that end.

2 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

This wasn't for the political crowd, but for the average Joe. That guy just heard the President make a case for a border wall that maybe wasn't terribly inspiring, but  was certainly reasonable.

Then that was immediately contrasted against two nutty looking Dems offering a painfully empty rebuttal that amounted to little more than "we want border security, but we oppose any practical means of achieving it. Because ???. So shut it down." Matt Damon was more insightful & convincing in Team America.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

...I am going to screencap the part where you said that Fox News is not a fair and worthwhile source. Just for the record. 

How about NPR News? Pretty much the most straight line, centrist reporting? (https://www.allsides.com/news-source/npr-media-bias)

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/09/683474397/7-takeaways-from-president-trumps-oval-office-address

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/08/683205814/fact-check-trumps-oval-office-pitch-for-a-border-wall

NPR fact checking.  ???

13 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

This wasn't for the political crowd, but for the average Joe. That guy just heard the President make a case for a border wall that maybe wasn't terribly inspiring, but  was certainly reasonable.

Then that was immediately contrasted against two nutty looking Dems offering a painfully empty rebuttal that amounted to little more than "we want border security, but we oppose any practical means of achieving it. Because ???. So shut it down." Matt Damon was more insightful & convincing in Team America.

So...for people who aren't paying attention and are completely oblivious, he did more by restating exactly the same baloney he says on Twitter? I don't buy it.

That little pep talk going to do jack for the people who aren't getting paychecks, or are about to run out of food stamps, or can't close on a house or aren't getting their tax refunds. 

I don't think it was a good look for either side. I will agree with one point that was made by the Dems. Using government employees as leverage sucks.

I'm not posting to say that both sides haven't used that leverage. I'm just saying that this sucks for the average American too.

TSA agents are being FORCED to work without pay (for now).  How is that helping airport security? Border patrol agents unfunded, how does that help the argument?  This sh*t show from both sides sickens me.

Edited by nkreed

16 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

So...for people who aren't paying attention and are completely oblivious, he did more by restating exactly the same baloney he says on Twitter? I don't buy it.

That little pep talk going to do jack for the people who aren't getting paychecks, or are about to run out of food stamps, or can't close on a house or aren't getting their tax refunds. 

Who's not getting their pay checks?  No one has missed a paycheck yet in the government. 

Oh *****, you're stupid. You really don't realize that people are still getting food stamps and the IRS is still full go?!?

Holy ***** you're a mindless drone. It's like someone took Rachel Maddows *****, put Anderson Cooper's giggle, and then gave it arms and fingers and told it to type.

Edited by Boyst62
  • Haha (+1) 1