What was the motivation for leaking the old Josh Allen tweets?

I have given this a TON of thought in the last 30 seconds.... I deduce that it was 1 Colonel Mustard 2 in the kitchen 3 with the knife!

OR I might have  JUST seen a KFC commercial and it influenced me in unsavory ways!

Edited by aceman_16
speelling
  • Haha (+1) 1

Some of you overthinking this.  There is a whole Twitter page called old player tweets.  It was the draft and someone say some dumb tweets Allen had.  It is happening all the time now.

hopefully, people are getting smarter and not putting every dumb thought they have on social media. 

4 hours ago, CommonCents said:

I was under the impression that the Pats wanted Allen until the tweets were released. We all know BB wouldn’t do such a thing. 

Oh God.  The Pats drafting Allen is my nightmare scenario.  If Allen turns out to be as good as it seems he will be, could you imagine him sitting behind Brady and then stepping in in two years?  We may as well just petition to leave the division.

3 hours ago, 2003Contenders said:

There could have been any number or motives here. And, yes, it is certainly possible that the Bills were the team that leaked the tweets. Yes, they supposedly were the only team to grill Josh about these tweets after they came out, but that could have been a mirage in and of itself to alleviate (and disguise the leak) from Josh and his agent. Let's remember a few things:

1. The Bills were on the Josh Allen bang wagon for some time. I firmly believe that he is the QB they targeted all along, and would have taken him #1 overall if they were in the position to do so.

2. When the Jets moved up to 3, the Bills were potentially in the position to lose out on 3 (possibly even all 4) of the top-rated QBs in the draft.

3. Aside from the Browns and Jets who ultimately took QBs, there was a legitimate concern that both the Giants (picking at 2) as well as the Broncos (picking at 5) were in the QB market. The Bills had tried to work out a deal with both the Giants and Browns to move up from 7 but the price to do so was prohibitive for the Bills (at least both 2018 first rounders in addition to 2019 first round pick). The Bills had a framework deal in place with the Broncos that would have included both first round picks (plus more) to move up to 5; however, when the Browns surprised by taking the CB at #4 and left the DE on the board at #5, the Broncos reneged. The Colts were dead-set on the OG, so the Bills wound up finally working the deal with the Bucs. The price of two 2nd rounders seemed like a steep price at the time for moving up 5 spots, but we now know that both Miami and Arizona were also trying to move up for Allen as well.

Hence, there was ample reason for the Bills to have leaked the tweets in hopes of scaring the Browns (and there were some members of their front office who preferred Allen to Mayfield), Giants (who were looking for a QB to back-fill Eli but ultimately decided that Barkely was too good to pass up), the Jets (who seemed willing to take any of the top 3 QBs given the move they made), and Broncos (who may have been looking QB after failing to sign Cousins and settling for journeyman Keenum in the off-season).

There is also precedent in prior administrations for this sort of pre-draft shenanigans in Buffalo. Remember when Buddy and his scouts anonymously spread the word that Cordy Glenn was only an interior lineman at the NFL level and would not be able to play LT? Buddy even joked about leaking this misinformation once the draft was over.

I know it seems cynical -- and I am not saying that the Bills were necessarily the team that did this as other teams (obviously, the Dolphins and Cardinals and possibly others like the Ravens, Pats or Steelers) had similar motives -- but this is part of business in the NFL. All is fair in love and war, after all. If the Bills really were behind the leaks, they can make it up to Josh by boosting his offensive line and acquiring at least one more quality WR (and TE) in the off-season. LOL

Good post and it does make sense.  So I went back and dig through the articles again and now there seems to be a few inconsistencies in my original post.

Allen claimed that he and his agent deleted the tweets back in January 18.  In the article below Schefter said it was not the case and that the Yahoo writer confirmed that the tweets were live at the time the story was published.  

So its possible that while Allen could have deleted some tweets in January, he might have missed the few which made their way to the media. 

https://thebiglead.com/2018/04/26/josh-alien-tweets-adam-schefter-not-deleted-january/

With that being said, it could open the possibility of a few different things.  If the tweets were live up until the draft anyone could have found them, including fans trying to stir up trouble, journalists trying to write a blockbuster story, or the theory you described above. 

I think the chances he was being blackmailed are greatly decreased, and the possibility of a team coming across these tweets while doing their due dilligence at the last minute are more probable.

Either way, it’s still kind of sleazy thing to do and like many of you, I hope the Bills had no part in it.

2 hours ago, Just in Atlanta said:

Good theory...but if he doesn’t  want the bills to win another Super Bowl, and Josh Allen is the quarterback to win a Super Bowl, then the logic fails. It only succeeds if his plan were to get the Bills to not draft him. 

I thought the story was nonsense when I didn’t know it was a rap song. Good God, political correctness and mindless racial whining makes us so stupid.

Well, hopfully he failed and the Bills finally get to win one with Allen!

The motivation? Who cares. Maybe Buffalo did it to try and scare some people away?

And I couldn't care less about those tweets. Not one iota. 

I can only imagine what idiotic things I'd have posted on social media had it been around while I was in high school. Further, most of the tweets weren't from Josh. There's one about him wanting to 'grow his penis.' Did Josh really write that? Heck no. I'm sure it was a buddy messing around with him.

4 hours ago, Thunderstruck said:

Exactly- the sad truth is that some people cannot stand to see others achieve success. As soon as you get drafted high, win the Heisman, asked to host the Oscars, get nominated for Supreme Court, or make it to the pinnacle of whatever profession you happen to be in, there are going to be those that want to see you torn down. also known as "crab in a bucket" mentality

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_mentality

This isn't a new thing- just so much easier to do now in the digital age because a) there are cameras everywhere  and b) people voluntarily put themselves out there on social media without considering the potential ramifications

no i meant people are shocked on here that a famous person's social media history has been dredged going back a dozen years to find dirt on them....

hello.............

13 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Over the past few weeks, I’ve been re-examining the 2018 draft to read the evaluations of Josh Allen.

In doing so, I came across the article below which included the drama which came out about the old Josh Allen tweets.  Back then I felt that it should have been a non-issue considering that date of the original tweet and the fact that what we wrote was seemingly meant in jest. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/offensive-tweets-josh-allen-surface-hours-nfl-draft-024847843.html

Fortunately Allen and the Bills both handeled that situation very well and rightfully it’s now a dead issue.  

We’ll never know who exactly leaked the tweets.  What we do know is that Allen’s management team had him delete the tweets last January as he was preparing the process of entering the NFL draft.  It’s  no coincidence that the screenshot of the old tweets were released just 24 hours before the actual draft.  These screen caps of deleted tweets didn’t just randomly appear the day before the draft for no reason.  

But what do you think was the motivation for doing it?  I have thought of 2 possible scenarios:

1.) Malice - someone (either a fan, competing  agent, or journalist) was holding onto these tweets for months (maybe years) and waited until the last minute to release them to the press to hurt Allen’s draft status, in turn costing him millions of dollars and potentially sabotaging his career before it gets started.  

2.) Strategy - the tweets were strategically released by a competing agent or an executive of an NFL team positioned toward the bottom of the draft.  The idea would be that the negative press would scare the teams at the top away, allowing Allen to fall to the bottom of the Round 1 much like Laramie Tunsill.  Essentially they would get a Top 10 pick at the bottom of the round without having to trade up.   

There’s also the potential it could have been a strategic reason by a competing agent.   With Allen dropping, it could allow other clients (possibly other highly rated QB’s) the opportunity to get taken higher, make and more money, which in turn allows the agency to profit.  

I would like to think that members of NFL teams are on the up-and-up and would never stoop to such unethical measures for professional gain, but I’ve been surprised before.  

Any any other suggestions?

Either way, whether it’s Allen or Tunsill, I think the way that people deliberately try to make these young athletes look bad is terrible.   Especially when you consider the type of character than Allen appears to have shown this season.   Very glad this behind both of those athletes and I hope behavior like this does not become common before the draft.  

I will tell you right now teams would definitely do such a thing and either they did it or Rosens family Lol.

13 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Over the past few weeks, I’ve been re-examining the 2018 draft to read the evaluations of Josh Allen.

In doing so, I came across the article below which included the drama which came out about the old Josh Allen tweets.  Back then I felt that it should have been a non-issue considering that date of the original tweet and the fact that what we wrote was seemingly meant in jest. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/offensive-tweets-josh-allen-surface-hours-nfl-draft-024847843.html

Fortunately Allen and the Bills both handeled that situation very well and rightfully it’s now a dead issue.  

We’ll never know who exactly leaked the tweets.  What we do know is that Allen’s management team had him delete the tweets last January as he was preparing the process of entering the NFL draft.  It’s  no coincidence that the screenshot of the old tweets were released just 24 hours before the actual draft.  These screen caps of deleted tweets didn’t just randomly appear the day before the draft for no reason.  

But what do you think was the motivation for doing it?  I have thought of 2 possible scenarios:

1.) Malice - someone (either a fan, competing  agent, or journalist) was holding onto these tweets for months (maybe years) and waited until the last minute to release them to the press to hurt Allen’s draft status, in turn costing him millions of dollars and potentially sabotaging his career before it gets started.  

2.) Strategy - the tweets were strategically released by a competing agent or an executive of an NFL team positioned toward the bottom of the draft.  The idea would be that the negative press would scare the teams at the top away, allowing Allen to fall to the bottom of the Round 1 much like Laramie Tunsill.  Essentially they would get a Top 10 pick at the bottom of the round without having to trade up.   

There’s also the potential it could have been a strategic reason by a competing agent.   With Allen dropping, it could allow other clients (possibly other highly rated QB’s) the opportunity to get taken higher, make and more money, which in turn allows the agency to profit.  

I would like to think that members of NFL teams are on the up-and-up and would never stoop to such unethical measures for professional gain, but I’ve been surprised before.  

Any any other suggestions?

Either way, whether it’s Allen or Tunsill, I think the way that people deliberately try to make these young athletes look bad is terrible.   Especially when you consider the type of character than Allen appears to have shown this season.   Very glad this behind both of those athletes and I hope behavior like this does not become common before the draft.  

Cordy Glenn didnt have what it takes to play LT according to Buddy Nix and then Nix drafted him to play LT.

8 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Good post and it does make sense.  So I went back and dig through the articles again and now there seems to be a few inconsistencies in my original post.

Allen claimed that he and his agent deleted the tweets back in January 18.  In the article below Schefter said it was not the case and that the Yahoo writer confirmed that the tweets were live at the time the story was published.  

So its possible that while Allen could have deleted some tweets in January, he might have missed the few which made their way to the media. 

https://thebiglead.com/2018/04/26/josh-alien-tweets-adam-schefter-not-deleted-january/

With that being said, it could open the possibility of a few different things.  If the tweets were live up until the draft anyone could have found them, including fans trying to stir up trouble, journalists trying to write a blockbuster story, or the theory you described above. 

I think the chances he was being blackmailed are greatly decreased, and the possibility of a team coming across these tweets while doing their due dilligence at the last minute are more probable.

Either way, it’s still kind of sleazy thing to do and like many of you, I hope the Bills had no part in it.

BS.  Night before the draft was intentional!

13 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I would not be surprised if it was the Bills FO

Couldve been, they looked shell shocked when diffusing the concerns though....  and seemed aligned about reaching out again to get their own questions answered.

i can’t belive the Bills FO would do it- The way they bang the character drum... they can’t secretly at the same time be manipulative conniving schemers can they? Not to mention Potentially Sabotaging your our own guy could backfire in the locker room

It obviously was intentionally done and with draft day impact in mind.

Id go with one of the other candidate QBs or QB agents, particularly one facing character concerns of their own, therefore looking to level the field. 

1 hour ago, LikeIGiveADarn said:

Yes, and quotes from the sitcom Modern Family

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4L69cxMUt0

Well, well, well.....I had no idea.

I was at the draft last year and a friend of mine was unsure on how to feel about the Bills drafting Josh Allen. She was concerned that he was a racist.

15 hours ago, jahnyc said:

One thing about this that I thought was strange is that I recall Allen said that only the Bills reached out to him after the release of the tweets.  If other teams were interested in Allen, wouldn't they have reached out to Allen as well?

Or the Bills had no idea about the tweets which they said.. and they wanted to hear it from Josh what happened 

The Cardinals ... who were behind us... and supposedly in love with Allen... didn’t talk with him about it

its more likely they had the reporter leak the tweets hoping he fell... they didn’t need to talk with Allen about them because they already knew and didn’t care.. he was a kid