Don't expect a "true WR1" to end up in Buffalo for this year...

blacklabel

Dunno but it sure would be nice to see a Bills player routinely winning 1 on 1 opportunities or making contested catches a routine thing.  Last guy who seemingly got open in big situations was Stevie J.  Last guy who plain out roasted dbs was Moulds  Bills have never had a TE like that

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, wiskibreth said:

I like that Humphreys kid from Tampa Bay. Kid catches balls. Gets better every year.  I think he can be a Beasley/Welker/Edleman type in this offense.    I'd also Draft one.

Humphries would be a nice edition especially if we could get him at a reasonable price. Then draft one of the top tight ends and another wr in middle rounds. I would not mind if they got a second tight end in the draft this year as it appears to be pretty deep. 

2 hours ago, blacklabel said:

I think I've mentioned this in some other threads but it all gets lost in the shuffle.

Seems almost every other day we have new threads about how badly the Bills need a number one wide receiver. I'm not saying I disagree, they certainly need some playmakers added to the receiver room, however...

I wouldn't hold my breath that they acquire a big-time pass catcher.

There are a few reasons, mostly everyone already knows the first two: there's not much in free agency and while there are a handful of receivers in the draft who *could* develop into a number one guy,  there aren't any prospects that are ready to assume that role right from the start. A trade can always happen but I doubt Beane is willing to give up too much at this point, especially after he got the short end of the stick on the KB deal.

But the other reason, probably the most important reason we won't see them add a guy like that is because Brian Daboll is their OC. That's not a negative comment, by the way. Daboll spent a long time in New England where Tom Brady only had a "true WR1" like, once, and that was Randy Moss. Other than that, Brady has been throwing to an assorted collection of receivers, backs and tight ends for his entire career. They always have a stable of versatile running backs that can make plays coming out of the backfield. They've usually always rolled with at least one monster a TE (Gronk) and have in past seasons added another monster TE that would be a #1 anywhere else (Martellus Bennett), and slot guys like Edelman and Welker have been their leading receivers more than a few times. Belichick has always put a lot of value in versatility. It's the reason the Pats offense is always able to morph back and forth from a pass-heavy attack to a run-heavy attack or something more balanced. Whatever defense they face, they tailor their offense to exploit weaknesses in that defense. Some teams have their schemes and it's "our guys can beat your guys" and that's that, but more and more you're seeing teams that want to have more than just one offensive identity.

Daboll is cut from that same cloth. He's said it since day one, that his offense would be a multi-faceted unit capable of switching gears based upon their opponent. And McDermott, like Belichick, is another coach who values versatility. 

I'm not saying that they'll never have an established go-to receiver, but I don't expect it in 2019 just given the circumstances. Really, I'd expect them to add pieces to every offensive skill group; backs, receivers and tight ends. Again, Daboll worked with Gronk, and then you have McBeane who are following the formula they used in Carolina where they had Greg Olsen. On the bright side, while the draft isn't very deep for receivers, it's shaping up to be pretty good for tight ends, so maybe McBeane finds his own Greg Olsen there. 

Overall, I expect them to follow the same type of formula outlined above and honestly, it's a proven method that shows you can win without a big-time WR. 

So you don't see Beane attempting to make a trade for a number 1 guy? There might not be a whole lot in free agency and a rookie might not make an immediate impact but I don't see why Beane wouldn't look into making a trade for a top notch receiver

Edited by Buffalo03

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Okay.  I feel like you’re making a lot of assumptions here.  Who’s to say that a DK Metcalf or N’Keal Harry couldn’t immediately step in and be our best WR?  I kinda get the Daboll thing, but he was never responsible for personnel decisions in NE.  BB made all those calls.  Who’s to say what he will do now that he may have some “clout?”

I said at the very beginning that one of these prospects could turn out to be a big time receiver, but as of right now the wide receivers in this draft aren't in the same class as guys that often come to mind when you think of a #1 receiver. 

And my point on Daboll was that he's going to carry over some of the things he learned in New England and one of the things he learned there was that you don't need a premiere wide receiver to win.

Julio Jones, Odell Beckham, Antonio Brown, Mike Evans... all those dudes are sitting on the couch.  The whole idea is that a "true #1 WR" doesn't make or break a team.

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Sign one of either Tate or Tyrell.  Then also sign Humphries.  Enter draft with:

WR1 - Tate/Tyrell

WR2 - Foster

WR3 - Humphries (in a Kupp type role, could also compete for #2 spot)

WR4 - Zay (lets see how he shakes out when competing against better WR's for his roster spot)

WR5 - McKenzie (depth and ST guy)

This is a deep WR class once you get outside the first 15 picks.  We now have no pressure to go WR in the early rounds unless there is a guy they love.  We can now maybe look at a guy like Fant or one of the other TEs in rounds 1 through 3, especially since this isnt a good FA year for TE.  Also focus on OL and other needs early too.  

Go out and also bring in some vets on the OL and sign a RB like Ingram or another quality vet to share the load with McCoy next year...and BOOM, divisional crown is a real possibility and we could be a dangerous team next year.  

I really love the athleticism of Fant and I believe he is the type of TE that is perfect for Allen, particularly if the team keeps adding speed at the WR position. 

It helps in NE that they have the best QB of all time, but you don’t need Randy Moss (when he’s in the mood to try). You need a number of competent options in all the skill positions. Guys who can separate, compete and hold onto the ball. We will be adding talent, and we can hope one becomes a HOF player, but it’s not necessary. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I really love the athleticism of Fant and I believe he is the type of TE that is perfect for Allen, particularly if the team keeps adding speed at the WR position. 

Yeah I think Fant would be an ideal guy to draft, and I would love to see us do a small trade down and pick up more draft assets and take him.  BUT...that is assuming we shored up WR in Free Agency, especially with guys who can go deep and get the ball.  If we say signed just one solid WR, then I would still prefer to go WR in the first at that point and target one of the other TEs maybe in the 2nd or 3rd.  Its imperative we get guys who can both get deep and also go get the ball and catch it.  Allen is too big of a weapon to not have that dimension to our offense.  

• Like (+1) 1

If we don't acquire 2 or 3 WRs markedly better than what we have now, I would expect our futile passing game to continue.  We will never have a very good team or a good passing game or an effective QB until we get some studs at WR IMHO.  Look at who Jimbo had ...

1 hour ago, Augie said:

It helps in NE that the have the best QB of all time, but you don’t need Randy Moss (when he’s in the mood to try). You need a number of competent options in all the skill positions. Guys who can separate, compete and hold onto the ball. We will be adding talent, and we can hope one becomes a HOF player, but it’s not necessary. 

Ive said for a long time that moss couldve been the hands down best wr in the game if he wanted to/ had the right attitude.   

with that said, besides the deep balls to foster and occasionally mckenzie, thats what we were lacking.  we know benjamin was a snail running his routes.  zay came on towards the end of the year and showed promise.  i just want a receiver like Deandre hopkins, who is blanket covered but can still make a contested catch.  i feel like its been forever since we had a guy who no matter what you threw the ball his way and you can count on him to come down with it

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GG said:

That may have been their tactic heading into this season with a rookie and unproven Peterman.  The strategy may be rethought now that they know what they have in Allen and what is best for his future development.  As I've (and many others) said before, getting a top flight TE is much more important than a #1 WR at this point.

Two TEs actually ,whom need defending might be something he would enjoy ?

40 minutes ago, Moulds_80 said:

i just want a receiver like Deandre hopkins, who is blanket covered but can still make a contested catch.  i feel like its been forever since we had a guy who no matter what you threw the ball his way and you can count on him to come down with

I agree 110% this is what we need. 

We had 2 guys pretty much like that but let them go.  Sammy and Woods.  We need guys like that or better.

2 hours ago, Augie said:

It helps in NE that they have the best QB of all time, but you don’t need Randy Moss (when he’s in the mood to try). You need a number of competent options in all the skill positions. Guys who can separate, compete and hold onto the ball. We will be adding talent, and we can hope one becomes a HOF player, but it’s not necessary. 

you are onto something.

it is a great example of how to win each week.
able to play to your opponent's weaknesses.
Multi faceted skill players does that for you.

such as when Bill B ran all day against us. and then can turn around and throw 45 times the next week.

2 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

Bill's need 3 WRs either 2 from FA 1 draft 2nd+ round. Or 2 WRs draft 1+ round and 1 FA.

and what type of receivers might you wish for ?

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

If we don't acquire 2 or 3 WRs markedly better than what we have now, I would expect our futile passing game to continue.  We will never have a very good team or a good passing game or an effective QB until we get some studs at WR IMHO.  Look at who Jimbo had ...

well. it should not be too hard to do.
 but i feel it will be a composition of things.
O Line. Coaching, and some  guys Allen can trust.
Foster is likely one and Zay is the other. beyond that..

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Sign one of either Tate or Tyrell.  Then also sign Humphries.  Enter draft with:

WR1 - Tate/Tyrell

WR2 - Foster

WR3 - Humphries (in a Kupp type role, could also compete for #2 spot)

WR4 - Zay (lets see how he shakes out when competing against better WR's for his roster spot)

WR5 - McKenzie (depth and ST guy)

This is a deep WR class once you get outside the first 15 picks.  We now have no pressure to go WR in the early rounds unless there is a guy they love.  We can now maybe look at a guy like Fant or one of the other TEs in rounds 1 through 3, especially since this isnt a good FA year for TE.  Also focus on OL and other needs early too.  

Go out and also bring in some vets on the OL and sign a RB like Ingram or another quality vet to share the load with McCoy next year...and BOOM, divisional crown is a real possibility and we could be a dangerous team next year.  

Tyrell Williams would cost & produce the same as Tate but so much younger. I still think T. Williams would be a perfect #2 guy and we'd have to draft a TE as our #1 receiver.  We just can't get everything this spring.  It will take 19 & 20. Fant would be a huge pu if he fell to the 2nd round?

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1