Do you guys think the Bills will add a veteran number one WR.....

njbuff

34 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

I really don’t believe so. He is a poor route runner with a very limited tree. This will mean there will probably be quite some time until he can perform at a high level in the NFL (like most WR’s). 

He is, however, a great physical specimen and also has NFL pedigree. 

Have you watched his highlight video?  He is smoking people left and right on his routes.  Granted, its a "highlight" video, but he has shown pretty foot work and torching people.  Granted, I dont watch Ole Miss games regularly, so you may have seen more of him than me, but his footwork looks legit in the stuff I have been able to watch.  Again, though, I am not an expert on him, just been wowed in what I have seen.

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Have you watched his highlight video?  He is smoking people left and right on his routes.  Granted, its a "highlight" video, but he has shown pretty foot work and torching people.  Granted, I dont watch Ole Miss games regularly, so you may have seen more of him than me, but his footwork looks legit in the stuff I have been able to watch.  Again, though, I am not an expert on him, just been wowed in what I have seen.

My biggest issue with Metcalf is consistency. It is there on his tape - his effort and his production is not consistent game to game. I think this is a strange WR draft class because I think it is talented and deep but I think they all have holes. Metcalf and Harry are the two to me who I have watched where I can see them at some point being legit NFL#1 types and that is why I have them 1 and 2 at this stage. I think some of the others might be more immediately productive but you are looking at lower long term ceilings. 

That is why I am not as confident as you Alpha that there will end up being a consensus on the ranking of these guys. I think we will get to the draft and there will still be as many as 5 or 6 guys who are ranked as WR1 on different boards around the league (let alone the talking heads). It will come down to how does each guy fit the offense he is being drafted for. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

My biggest issue with Metcalf is consistency. It is there on his tape - his effort and his production is not consistent game to game. I think this is a strange WR draft class because I think it is talented and deep but I think they all have holes. Metcalf and Harry are the two to me who I have watched where I can see them at some point being legit NFL#1 types and that is why I have them 1 and 2 at this stage. I think some of the others might be more immediately productive but you are looking at lower long term ceilings. 

That is why I am not as confident as you Alpha that there will end up being a consensus on the ranking of these guys. I think we will get to the draft and there will still be as many as 5 or 6 guys who are ranked as WR1 on different boards around the league (let alone the talking heads). It will come down to how does each guy fit the offense he is being drafted for. 

I agree with just about everything you said here, other than I am a little more optimistic on Metcalf emerging as a consensus top guy on the board.  Its gonna be him or Harry I think most commonly listed as the top guy, but that doesn't mean they are first off board either.  

I also very much agree that there are probably 7 guys at least that could right now be the first WR taken.  Its very deep class once you get outside the top 15 picks.  You may also know more than me on Metclaf, I didn't watch a lot of his games, so most of what I am basing on his video of him out there.  And we know those don't show the concerns of flaws and mostly focus on the big plays.  But in those plays, I was just wowed by his foot work, high pointing the ball, hands, size, speed, etc.  

Combine and offseason will be fun though to watch this all play out and see the rankings start to move around and shake out.  

28 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I have but also watched the games. He is certainly a man amongst boys in the NCAA but I believe it will take time for him to transition to the NFL. 

I would take him later, without hesitation, but not in the first. 

With that being said, I’ve been wrong before. ? 

• Like (+1) 1

Ugh.  Please no more on this WR1 WR2 stuff.

The Eagles are doing OK, Ertz has far more yards than Agholor, who has more catches than Jeffery etc.     

The Bears won a dozen games, who's their WR1 ?   Cohen the running back? Robinson? Gabriel?  They all have the same amount of targets.

Just get three competent WR's to emerge from camp, we already have two, get a good TE, and start worrying about protecting the QB.  Our problem this year wasn't guys getting open.  There's just no way in hell Beane is giving away a high pick for a vet receiver.   

Also we need to remember what happened to us against the Patriots, I'm not sure just having Milano healthy is going to be enough to fix getting gashed for 250 yards on the ground. 

Personally i hope we draft all big guys on both sides of the ball for the first three or four picks.

Then again I thought Josh should have been on the bench for at least the first 10 games so.......

Edited by Da webster guy
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

What about AJ Brown from Old Miss? 

He's in the mix of guys I could see us taking. Yet the way he was used at Old Miss brings back memories of Sammy Watkins.

4 hours ago, Philo Beddoe said:

My thought is they should target a veteran that has shown the ability, but not necessarily a #1(Tyler Boyd comes to mind) AND also draft someone that can develop into a true #1. That would probably require a trade down or the second round. 

I'd love to add Boyd but don't think he's set to be an UFA until next year.

42 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

He's in the mix of guys I could see us taking. Yet the way he was used at Old Miss brings back memories of Sammy Watkins.

I'd love to add Boyd but don't think he's set to be an UFA until next year.

Oh is that true? I had heard his name thrown around as a FA before, but never checked myself. If he is not an option I would prefer Golden Tate. 

1 minute ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I know I was responding to the Lofton aquisition.  If we can get the Oline fixed get a LB to groom behind Zo our future RB and pick up a vet #1 Im all for it.

I'm with you dude!

I don't think anything is set in stone at this point.  I'm sure Beane has the personnel staff looking into all the possibilities.  Their final course of action will depend on who is available, with what skill set at what cost.  As far as the draft is concerned, there are a whole bunch of big receivers this year.  There are a few small speedy or quick guys, like Marquise Brown, but I think Buffalo already has guys that fit that description in Isaiah McKenzie, Ray Ray McCloud and Victor Bolden.  My own thinking is that they would ideally want to have both kinds of receivers, and if they can find a guy who is both big and fast, that would be frosting on the cake.

This team is all about Josh Allen. He's the star. We don't need a guy like OBJ imo. It would be cool, but I don't think the front office wants that. They want guys who are going to run routes and they want Allen to work the ball to whoever is open. Adding a guy like Julio Jones etc actually hurts a young quarterback becuase he may feel he needs to force the ball there. Like with KB...once he was gone, Allen was much better and just read TE field rather than forcing things to the number one guy. It's an overrated concept in my opinion. 

Tyrell Williams many have mentioned, I don't love him but I'd be for it. 

Adam Humphries is a great fit. 

I LOVE Chris Conley, as I've mentioned a million times. He bring elite speed Andy explosiveness. He is big and is ready to break out. He got started with David Culley and he's an Andy Reid guy so their is a familiarity there. 

You bring in Golden Tate, Julio Jones, AJ Green, OBJ, whomever, all it does is put pressure on Josh Allen to force them the ball. Again, Allen is the star. He needs complimentary pieces. The EP system is all about complimentary routes. You need humble guys who are going to do their job. Sign Williams, or Conley, or Humphries...draft some guys at some point and continue to compliment your star quarterback. 

8 hours ago, njbuff said:

Or will they draft someone within the first two rounds and continue to develop their own young WR's?

Or will they do both?

Will they make a big trade for an AJ Green, Julio Jones, Antonio Brown, Odell Beckham?

Will they take someone in the second round, cause as of right now there isn't a WR worth the 9th overall pick (which obviously can change)?

What do you think?

Don't think they will trade for any of those guys , so probably draft one or TE.

7 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

I hear what your saying, but players with serious injuries often pass physicals only to have recurring injuries. I'd be nervous if it was me. All it would take is one Landry hit on AW and it'd be a wasted 1st round pick

Mike Williams had a neck injury at one time, and a back issue.  He's ballin out for the Chargers.

They will try, but can they attract a true #1? Is a true #1 even going to be available? They'd have to mortgage the ranch to get Antonio Brown. I'm not sure I want that. If we had a QB with great accuracy, then maybe I'd go for that trade.

21 hours ago, NewEra said:

We’ll add the best WR available to us.  Won’t be a true number 1 and that’s ok.

I agree that it's okay. A true number isn't needed just yet, an upgrade of wr talent in general and this offense will be serviceable. 

Edited by XXL Franchize

A mentor and lockeroom guy is needed to help the young guys.  Golden Tate fits the bill. Playoff experience, Superbowl experience,  quarterback friendly and won't break the bank. He plays with tenacity and confidence who's unselfish. I'd like him at a 3 year deal with the 3rd being easy to void without much penalty.

• Like (+1) 2