Foster, McKenzie and Jones

RPbillsfan

I believe this is a nice start to our receiving Corp.  We have Foster as the deep threat to take the top of the defense, McKenzie is out slot guy and gadget guy, Jones needs to improve to make an impact on the 2019 roster.  To me, I would add a large catch radius guy like Tyrell Williams to make it a solid group.  In this way we could use our 1st round pick at an area of greater need.

Looking for your feedback.

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, RPbillsfan said:

I believe this is a nice start to our receiving Corp.  We have Foster as the deep threat to take the top of the defense, McKenzie is out slot guy and gadget guy, Jones needs to improve to make an impact on the 2019 roster.  To me, I would add a large catch radius guy like Tyrell Williams to make it a solid group.  In this way we could use our 1st round pick at an area of greater need.

It is a nice start. In my mind next year, Foster is the speed, maybe a 2/3 type splitting with a high draft pick. McKenzie to me is more a "weapon" then WR. Kind of like a Tarik Cohen role. Bit of everything. Jones, unless he steps the receiving part of his game up is fighting for a roster spot as he doesn't currently add to special teams. Need to find that #1 target type guy.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, RPbillsfan said:

31 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Need a legitimate number one receiver.

Not sure where they get it considering the FA market is lacking.

@RPbillsfan - I'd say that's accurate, plus the obligatory depth needed for injuries. But the best nutshell is what @ScottLaw nailed.

I agree that the roles both Foster and McKenzie seem to be filling provide great depth to the schemes we've seen thus far. While I don't expect either to top out at WR1, as rookies they still have a ceiling to grow within and maybe even improve on other aspects of their game and become more than single-role guys (a la KB being a big contested catch guy, but once that went so did he as a WR at all).

Here's my opinion with Zay. I would like to see him in the corps next year and years beyond should he continue to improve. I think his performance is being unfairly compared to what our FO thought he was worth to trade up for, but has otherwise responded well. He hasn't shown enough to make anyone comfortable to say he's the WR1 guy moving forward, but in the games where teams still lined up their top DBs against KB (for whatever reason), Zay was able to have more productive games. He has parts of his game he needs to work on, but I can see a solid WR2 out of him with Foster. Novel of a response aside, the reason why I included ScottLaw is that I believe Zay will most certainly be that guy against zone coverage and DB2 and 3's in man/match schemes as long as we have a true WR1 threat. As ScottLaw pointed out, FA isn't really the place to find one this year. There's pipedream rumors for a Julio trade or similar scenario but wouldn't count on it.

My hope is that we are able to address this either early in the second or even third rounds of the draft (though it's supposedly unlikely a WR1 will fall that far in this defensive heavy draft per what analysis is out there). I would be happy to see a Brown, Harry, Metcalf, Arcega, or AJ with that pick as even they would command top DB attention and each appear to have WR1 potential. Harry likely fits the big catch radius profile.

I think you need both a veteran WR like Tyrell Williams and a WR in round 2. I like competition and depth. That would allow you to have a veteran anchor one of the top 3 spots and then have Foster, Zay, and a rookie battle it out for the 2 other WR spots while having Mac as a nice gadget/depth player. Overall I think Foster can be a top 3 WR in the NFL but I am not sure about Zay. I would rather have Zay compete with a rookie and earn a top 3 WR spot. If Zay can't out compete a rookie and Foster he should be relegated to the bench in case of injury. 

1 hour ago, RPbillsfan said:

yep, Tate or Williams would be a nice add and a Rnd 1 or Rnd 2 draft pick to try to find a 'do it all WR' like AJ Green.

Think we need to get some real talent in the building before we claim any of these guys to be mainstays. It might take time, and I'm fine with any of these three as long as they perform. We need guys who will get open and make tough catches. Josh doesn't always put it on target. I hope we bring in a bunch of guys in the off season and let them battle it out. The ones with the best chemistry with Josh get to stay. 2020 is when we'll make a big time wr acquisition. Keep in mind we also need to spend resources on the lines, particularly the Oline. TE could use an upgrade as well.  

Edited by VW82

6 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I think you need both a veteran WR like Tyrell Williams and a WR in round 2. I like competition and depth. That would allow you to have a veteran anchor one of the top 3 spots and then have Foster, Zay, and a rookie battle it out for the 2 other WR spots while having Mac as a nice gadget/depth player. Overall I think Foster can be a top 3 WR in the NFL but I am not sure about Zay. I would rather have Zay compete with a rookie and earn a top 3 WR spot. If Zay can't out compete a rookie and Foster he should be relegated to the bench in case of injury. 

need to get Zay in the slot for a few games.

I have to disagree on some of this.  

First though, Foster I agree with, and I was one of the few that said he would make the roster and could surprise.  So I have liked him from the get go, and hes even still exceeding expectations I had for him this year.  He will for sure have a place here next year and I think he will certainly challenge for a starting spot depending on how many other WR's we bring in and if they are established vets or rookies.  I think if we sign someone like Tate then he may be competing with a high draft pick for the 2 and 3 spot.  

McKenzie I agree with somewhat.  I do think he will be a guy who will likely be here next year, but not sure how much of a pass game roll he will play.  Gadget player and ST I think is more realistic.  He is making most of his opportunities, so who knows he could keep improving and surprise to earn a bigger roll next year.  But I think once there are some better WR's in that room, McKenzie is the kind of guy to get lost in the shuffle and fall down the depth chart.  I can see him as a 4th or 5th kind of guy, but then again, I also wouldn't bet against him as he has done well since getting here.  

Where I disagree is on two points mainly.  First is that this is a "nice start" to our receiving core.  Right now I only see one guy on our roster as a WR that is a must keep and that is Foster.  McKenzie is the next guy I would say is most likely a lock to be here because he also plays ST.  This brings me to my second disagreement...Zay Jones.

Zay right now is in real danger of being a cut this year.  He just isnt a play maker.  And its not just one thing.  He is not creating separation on his routes, he routes are not always crisp, he drops passes any starting WR is expected to catch, and he just cant make the big play or fight for a ball.  More importantly, he was utterly dominated by Slay this past weekend.  Josh threw multiple passes that were excellent throws and excellent ball placement, but because Slay was able to disrupt Zay so much he didn't even get a hand on the ball let alone catch it.  Slay is no joke, hes a very good DB, but Zay looked light years out of his league.  

So I am excited about Foster and looking forward to see who he gels next year with whoever else we bring in.  Mckenzie is a good addition, but not sure how much impact he will have outside ST once we get some other WR's here.  And Zay I am struggling to see on this roster next year.  So I cant say its a good start when we really only have one impactful piece in the WR room and thats Foster.  

Get more speed and be a dominant vertical team.  

We have the QB with the arm that can get it there and the mindset to want to make the throw.  Throw as much money as you can at the offensive line to give him the protection he needs for these longer routes to develop.  If no one is open, at the DB's have their backs turned or 25+ yards downfield.....Allen can use his legs like he has.

I agree.  It's a nice start.  

I'm not a fan of burning a high first-round pick on a receiver.   The high-profile glamour receivers aren't winning Super Bowls.   I do think one way or another there will a receiver added who will take a starting job from at least of the three the Bills have now.   That is there'll be an upgrade, but I hope it's not with a high pick. 

I read the title and thought "Law Firm"?

Jones has had some good games.  His best was with Barkley throwing to him.  His last 4 games with Allen back, not so much.  I'm pretty curious about what's going on there.