The Trump Shutdown

20 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

seriously? Your house ain't got no TV to watch or Internet to read? ( if you are not a  fan of Tony Kornheiser, that last sentence won't make any sense)

It has been widely, massively reported that Trump spends most of his morning watching, calling in, cheering, being interviewed by FNF, and other Fox News programs. I know you know this. Also reported he has a nighly call with Hannity .

Tuesday morning, Sanders announces Trump will approve spending bill with no wall funding

Wednesday morning FNF goes crazy on Trump..and actually asks Conway some hard questions about why Trump is "losing" to the Dems

Thursday more blasting by FNF over Syria...

Thursday afternoon, Trump flips back to won't sign the spending bill.

yes, Trump did not come out and say I am flipping my position for the 3rd time in 4 days cause Fox is being mean to me......but I have a sneaking suspicion you are smart enough to link the two

Can you show me evidence he is NOT listening to making decisions based on what FSF says?

That's not evidence, that's your biased opinion. Do you have any REAL FACTS to back up your comment?

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, westside said:

That's not evidence, that's your biased opinion. Do you have any REAL FACTS to back up your comment?

really..brilliant deductions!!!! Do you have any real facts to prove he is NOT taking direction from Doocey???

of course its conjecture..... ya think Trump would write down and say to the world" I am changing my mind for the 3rd time in 4 days cause Fox and Friends said bad things about me and were mean to Kelly Ann???

Cmon, I know yall smarter than this

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

really..brilliant deductions!!!! Do you have any real facts to prove he is NOT taking direction from Doocey???

of course its conjecture..... ya think Trump would write down and say to the world" I am changing my mind for the 3rd time in 4 days cause Fox and Friends said bad things about me and were mean to Kelly Ann???

Cmon, I know yall smarter than this

Your the one who said it was facts. As far as if I have any facts he wasn't is irrelevant. I did not make the claim he didn't.  The burden of proof is on you, not me.

If you have actual facts, I'm more than willing to listen to it.

Opinions aren't facts

53 minutes ago, westside said:

Your the one who said it was facts. As far as if I have any facts he wasn't is irrelevant. I did not make the claim he didn't.  The burden of proof is on you, not me.

If you have actual facts, I'm more than willing to listen to it.

Opinions aren't facts

lordy, it's tough for you to follow a discussion eh?  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

... If it's a reconciliation it's a simple majority. 51, not 60, needed. Unless it's not a reconciliation?

At this point, I'm hearing that it seems unlikely that McConnell is able to get 50 votes to even advance the issue. 

Senators, both Democrats and Republicans, were told that they could go home if they passed a clean Continuing Resolution. There's legit chance that the Senate would be unable to make quorum. And that's not even counting the fact that a number of Republican senators (especially departing ones) have said "not my problem"

5 hours ago, Nanker said:

I heard that the US State Department is GIVING Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, and El Salvador a total of $10 BILLION. Mexico’s money is for their southern boarder “infrastructure“.  

We cant get the Dems to pony up $5 Billion to find our border security, but we can give away twice that much to foreign countries that are corrupt and the source of much of our immigration issues?  :wallbash:

How can US tax dollars be collected and used for this while our basic national security goes lacking?

you...are aware that the US State department is controlled by the Republican party, correct?

5 hours ago, Nanker said:

I heard that the US State Department is GIVING Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, and El Salvador a total of $10 BILLION. Mexico’s money is for their southern boarder “infrastructure“.  

We cant get the Dems to pony up $5 Billion to find our border security, but we can give away twice that much to foreign countries that are corrupt and the source of much of our immigration issues?  :wallbash:

How can US tax dollars be collected and used for this while our basic national security goes lacking?

Because politicians near and far, in office and long gone, don"t see it as a national security issue, they see it as a path to enrichment. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Because politicians near and far, in office and long gone, don"t see it as a national security issue, they see it as a path to enrichment. 

That's true...I mean, Jesus, can you imagine the pork barrel spending that you would see if they start to build the wall?

If you think that Democrats are corrupt politicians, turning over government contracts for reelection money, can you imagine what a cluster***** like the wall would be like?

5 hours ago, ALF said:

A small fraction of the massive tax cut could have fully funded the border wall and high tech surveillance . I don't understand Trump's priorities at all. 

It's almost as if he is creating chaos on purpose. Disrupting trade, hiring corrupt individuals, driving out competent ones, driving wedges into our alliances, shutting down the government at Christmas and making the country just look bad. Why would he be doing all this? 

6 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

That's true...I mean, Jesus, can you imagine the pork barrel spending that you would see if they start to build the wall?

If you think that Democrats are corrupt politicians, turning over government contracts for reelection money, can you imagine what a cluster***** like the wall would be like?

"Politicians...near and far, in office and long gone..." includes all. This is not a Democrat or Republican issue. 

The entirety of the government is built on the understanding that those inside get theirs while those outside live by a different set of rules altogether. It's one giant pork pie, which is why one can work 30 years and leave with guarantees of income and benefits and yet the message for everyone else is "normal retirement age is 67 and on it's way to 70". One set of rules can hardly exist without the other. That certainly does not mean there are not good, hard working and decent people inside, as there are. I just find the leadership to be lacking for about the last 60 years. 

Someone is always getting rich, this will be no different, and such is life in America.

On the other hand, if open borders is the plan, let's get it out there and stop handwringing about it. I'd love for the walls to come down at airports, border crossings, and the Peace Bridge. 

Btw you never answered and gave credit where credit was due. Mr. 45 shifted the shutdown to Messrs Schumer and Pelosi, yes? 

30 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

All those mob contacts Trump had in NY would sure be happy! 

35 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

The entirety of the government is built on the understanding that those inside get theirs while those outside live by a different set of rules altogether. 

Similar to those living in gated communities/walls around their properties telling everyone that you do not need a wall for security.

12 minutes ago, KRC said:

Similar to those living in gated communities/walls around their properties telling everyone that you do not need a wall for security.

Lol. I would be shocked if 1% of people who think that the wall is a terrible idea lived in gated communities.

Mostly because it's a special kind of stupid to believe that dreck. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Life serves upittle ironies. One is while all people are equal, some are more better equal. 

Like having armed guards protecting you, while saying that you should not be allowed to have a gun to protect yourself. The hypocrisy is comical.

6 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Meanwhile, the Feds are busy confiscating land of private citizens to build the stupid wall. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/government-seizing-private-land-for-trump-border-wall-when-where-2018-6

Libertarian? 

I'm sure all those people here who were up in arms about being "forced" to buy health insurance will be along at any moment to decry this.

Any...moment...now

7 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I'm sure all those people here who were up in arms about being "forced" to buy health insurance will be along at any moment to decry this.

Any...moment...now

Piss-poor comparison.

Not remotely the same.

Should have went with Kelo v. City of New London 

Which Conservatives and Libertarians opposed .

10 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Any...moment...now

Has anyone seen WhitewalkerinPhilly, or know if he's ok? I asked him a question on his original post on this topic and he hasn't answered. I'm getting worried as he seemed like an honest broker looking for an exchange of ideas. 

I feel like we can avoid a shutdown now if Sen Schumer can rally his base here. I feel like Nancy Pelosi must have had some misunderstanding of the house and the way it would vote.  Whitewalker was suggesting Trump owned the shutdown, and that seemed reasonable just last week.

Now, thankfully, calmer heads can prevail.

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd

5 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Has anyone seen WhitewalkerinPhilly, or know if he's ok? I asked him a question on his original post on this topic and he hasn't answered. I'm getting worried as he seemed like an honest broker looking for an exchange of ideas. 

I feel like we can avoid a shutdown now if Sen Schumer can rally his base here. I feel like Nancy Pelosi must have had some misunderstanding of the house and the way it would vote.  Whitewalker was suggesting Trump owned the shutdown, and that seemed reasonable just last week.

Now, thankfully, calmer heads can prevail.

Wait, that was your answer? I legit thought you were shitposting.

Wait, you really think that because Trump-tard says it's Schumer's fault now, it's his? That "I'll be proud to shut down the government" is no longer lil Baby Donny's fault because decided to pull a bait and switch at the last moment and now gets to pout.

AHAHAHAHAHA...my god, you were serious

Edited by WhitewalkerInPhilly

33 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Lol. I would be shocked if 1% of people who think that the wall is a terrible idea lived in gated communities.

Mostly because it's a special kind of stupid to believe that dreck. 

Paying $500k for a 400 SF studio creates a very effective gated and guarded community too. 

The only way to get 60 votes is a compromise with the democrats. Last time they almost had that deal with DACA ,  maybe health coverage could do it this time around. Once the democrats have the House next term , the price goes way up I would think.

30 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Any...moment...now

This is one of the dumber things I've ever seen posted here.

One of the few just and proper functions of the federal government is the protection of our sovereignty which is defined by our national defense, enforcement of our national borders, and our immigration and naturalization policies.  This is the case because it is literally the entire purpose of the nation state, and a nation state cannot exist without these things.

The Fifth Amendment addresses this exact situation with the language:  "nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation."

This is entirely different, in every conceivable way from being forced to purchase a commodity by the government against one's will.

Your argument is, quite literally, "since the government enjoys the just power to compel some behaviors, it must enjoy the just power to compel all behaviors," which is a stupid argument.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

To make this as clear as humanly possible: This will never happen as long as McConnell is leader. Period.

McConnell has explicitly said multiple times on the record that he won't. And even if he tried, he wouldn’t even have enough GOP votes to carry out the nuclear option since a number of his members are opposed as well.

So in short, this isn’t going to happen.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/government-shutdown-december-2018/h_6ce51baec74f6937820e46d871e635b0

12 minutes ago, ALF said:

The only way to get 60 votes is a compromise with the democrats. Last time they almost had that deal with DACA ,  maybe health coverage could do it this time around. Once the democrats have the House next term , the price goes way up I would think.

In other words, when we've reach the ceiling on national debt the only way to get lawmakers to agree to raise it is to further increase spending. 

2 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

At this point, I'm hearing that it seems unlikely that McConnell is able to get 50 votes to even advance the issue. 

Senators, both Democrats and Republicans, were told that they could go home if they passed a clean Continuing Resolution. There's legit chance that the Senate would be unable to make quorum. And that's not even counting the fact that a number of Republican senators (especially departing ones) have said "not my problem"

you...are aware that the US State department is controlled by the Republican party, correct?

and you are aware that the Republican Party doesn't have filibuster control of the US Senate like Obama did when he rammed through the ACA, correct? 

3 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

In other words, when we've reach the ceiling on national debt the only way to get lawmakers to agree to raise it is to further increase spending. 

You mean raise the debt ceiling in order to have massive tax cuts ?