The Trump Shutdown

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I have to post it again...........................

I always understood "Mexico's going to pay for the wall" to mean, we're going to appropriate and authorize it up front and recoup the cost through tax/tariff/fee/lower enforcement costs"

Rather than "Don's going to hand their president an invoice.

Because I'm not stupid.

MYTH: Republicans can fund the government on their own.

REALITY: You need 60 votes in the Senate. With only 51 Republicans, you need at least 9 Democrat votes to pass anything.

Will Senate Democrats stick with Chuck Schumer or do what’s right for our national security?

#schumershutdown

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, B-Man said:

I guess I have to post it again...........................

I always understood "Mexico's going to pay for the wall" to mean, we're going to appropriate and authorize it up front and recoup the cost through tax/tariff/fee/lower enforcement costs"

Rather than "Don's going to hand their president an invoice.

Because I'm not stupid.

MYTH: Republicans can fund the government on their own.

REALITY: You need 60 votes in the Senate. With only 51 Republicans, you need at least 9 Democrat votes to pass anything.

Will Senate Democrats stick with Chuck Schumer or do what’s right for our national security?

#schumershutdown

Bull *****. Sounds like Trumptards making excuses for his lies. 

Thumbnail

#schumershutdown

SCHUMER DIGS IN

Chuck Schumer vows to continue his government shutdown forever rather than fund a wall:

President Trump, if you want to open the government, you must abandon the wall, plain and simple.

Schumer claims the Democrats are “open to discussing any proposal as long as they do not include anything for the wall.” ..........Sure they are.

This is all theater, of course.

{snip}

No one doubts how the press will spin the shutdown: no matter who controls Congress, no matter whether the president is a Democrat or a Republican, no matter the circumstances, if the federal government shuts down it is the Republicans’ fault. Beltway Republicans, who care more about the press than the rest of us, have absorbed this lesson, which is why Mitch McConnell hates the idea:

Most Americans have gotten appropriately cynical about “shutdown” theater. The various organs of government continue to operate, for better or worse.

As Steve has said, as long as taxes are being deducted from your paycheck, the government has not, in fact, closed down.

It is interesting that, of all the issues that divide the parties, the one that both are willing to go to the mat on is a border wall. Its importance is mostly, but by no means entirely, symbolic. Employer enforcement and defunding sanctuary states and cities are probably more important in stemming illegal immigration. But the border wall has an obvious, tangible significance.

The Democrats have staked their future on importing voters in violation of the law, since the voters they already have mostly prefer not to have many children. Republicans, in turn, have staked their future on preserving the rule of law, and on preserving an America more or less like the one we know. It comes down, ultimately, to a contest between preserving America vs. preserving the Democratic Party. Despite the smoke screen laid down by the media, I think the Republicans should win this one.

Whether they will “win” the current shutdown is a different, and less important, question.

.https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2018/12/schumer-digs-in.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+powerlineblog%2Flivefeed+(Power+Line)

Bait and switch... I thought Mexico is paying for the wall!

That should be the refrain in Congress.  Why all of a sudden the US is paying.

The guy lies, people vote for him... What a bunch of Republatards.  Don't need to remind me to never go car shopping with a basket of Deplorable Snowflakes. Who couldn't have seen this classic bait and switch coming a mile away.

Conman is now having a temper tantrum like a two-year old and the Republicans are the quintessential abetting new ager parents:

"Yes Donny!  You can have anything your little heart & hands desires.  Hold your breath till you turn blue and shutdown!"

LoL... And they call themselves conservatives!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

14 hours ago, /dev/null said:

And I'm sure you would be more than willing to give President Pence a fair chance before turning on him :rolleyes:

Damn, why did you ruin this great morning with this thought! 

Actaully, while I think the guy a dullard and a phony , I would take him as POTUS over Trump, but would want no part of having a drink with him. 

OTOH, if Trump  drank, he would prolly be a riot to have a fews sodas with!

Finally a Millennial getting the message.  Finally one that gets it:

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5c1eedffe4b0407e907ba2f0/amp?ec_carp=6154260942669177669&ncid=NEWSSTAND0001

"Angered by the current government shutdown, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is daring Congress to give up their salaries during future shutdowns. And as an incoming congresswoman, that means she’s willing to give up her own pay, too.

The New York Democrat on Saturday excoriated congress members who are getting paid while others, including hundreds of thousands federal workers, are furloughed.

“It’s completely unacceptable that members of Congress can force a government shutdown on partisan lines & then have Congressional salaries exempt from that decision,” Ocasio-Cortez tweeted.

“Have some integrity,” she added, in an apparent jab at her future colleagues in Congress..."

29 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Finally a Millennial getting the message.  Finally one that gets it:

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5c1eedffe4b0407e907ba2f0/amp?ec_carp=6154260942669177669&ncid=NEWSSTAND0001

"Angered by the current government shutdown, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is daring Congress to give up their salaries during future shutdowns. And as an incoming congresswoman, that means she’s willing to give up her own pay, too.

The New York Democrat on Saturday excoriated congress members who are getting paid while others, including hundreds of thousands federal workers, are furloughed.

“It’s completely unacceptable that members of Congress can force a government shutdown on partisan lines & then have Congressional salaries exempt from that decision,” Ocasio-Cortez tweeted.

“Have some integrity,” she added, in an apparent jab at her future colleagues in Congress..."

If she needs somewhere to stay, I have room.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

what would be even better is to get her and Ivanka in a little room..a little mud to throw at each other..voila..maybe this shutdown could get worked out lickity split!

You'd normally go with the kid from the Bronx, but she's actually from Yorktown.  On the other hand,  Ivanaka was born into a wealthy family, and you can"t discount the silver spoon effect in a street fight. 

Either way, there is something for everyone and this could help to heal this great nation. 

• Like (+1) 1

Appears to me that the only difference in the production of our Congress and most other federal entities is that now it's labelled a "shutdown" and there is much handwringing.  When the "shutdown" is over there will continue to be little production and much handwringing

33 minutes ago, Keukasmallies said:

Appears to me that the only difference in the production of our Congress and most other federal entities is that now it's labelled a "shutdown" and there is much handwringing.  When the "shutdown" is over there will continue to be little production and much hand wringing

Yep...................no worse than the average long weekend in DC.

#schumershutdown

TU-DE-NALP-PB-MI.jpg

Edited by B-Man
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

what would be even better is to get her and Ivanka in a little room..a little mud to throw at each other..voila..maybe this shutdown could get worked out lickity split!

he-said-lickity-split.thumb.png.fe816ed04d8246170aeafe281ca212d2.png

heh heh

Edited by Foxx
  • Haha (+1) 2

On 12/20/2018 at 10:49 PM, DC Tom said:

Seriously?

First. show me the evidence that Trump takes direction from anyone.  Then we can talk about "who."

On 12/20/2018 at 10:57 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

The Anatomy of a Simple Conman:

Okay... Let's talk about who Donny T. takes direction from.  His puppet masters:

Ann and Rush... His media pimps...

"Critical coverage by conservative radio talk show hosts Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter appeared to have pushed Trump toward favoring a veto, however. Coulter warned at one point that Trump’s administration could become a “joke presidency who scammed the American people” if he wasn’t able to get the wall built and said she wouldn’t vote for him in 2020 if he didn’t."

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

"Critical coverage by conservative radio talk show hosts Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter appeared to have pushed Trump toward favoring a veto, however. Coulter warned at one point that Trump’s administration could become a “joke presidency who scammed the American people” if he wasn’t able to get the wall built and said she wouldn’t vote for him in 2020 if he didn’t."

oh ..................okay then

That's what passes for left 'facts'

it will be built into the narrative by now.

10 minutes ago, B-Man said:

You can argue that they didn't make him change his decision. It could just be a coincidence that immediately after they ripped him that he just happened to reverse his position to their position.

Same for the Syria decision after Erdogan spoke to him.

10 minutes ago, B-Man said:

And "pushed" is now "directed."  

And everyone's apparently forgotten that Trump tends to be so malleable that he parrots the position of the last person he talked to.  That could be the Secretary of State, or the White House maintenance staff.

None of that is "direction."  You can't "direct" someone who's mind can be swayed by the janitor.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Don't encourage them. The meme from the MSM and Dems (BIRM) is "Trump doesn't know what he is doing" and "Trump listens to Fox" yada, yada, rinse and repeat. 

You'll never hear in the MSM, "It has been his signature issue since 2015. He's going to stand firm on it." 

SMH

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Don't encourage them. The meme from the MSM and Dems (BIRM) is "Trump doesn't know what he is doing" and "Trump listens to Fox" yada, yada, rinse and repeat. 

You'll never hear in the MSM, "It has been his signature issue since 2015. He's going to stand firm on it." 

SMH

It must be hard to see with Donald’s gut in your eyes! 

37 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

{heavy sigh} Another obnoxious troll to block.

You have a Merry Christmas. :)

Just blocked that disgusting piece of crap. He brings nothing to PPP but his disgusting posts.

It's very telling how the left on this board never call out any leftie when they post like that. Doc Brown is the ONLY exception. 

Tells you alot about leftwing morals.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, westside said:

Just blocked that disgusting piece of crap. He brings nothing to PPP but his disgusting posts.

It's very telling how the left on this board never call out any leftie when they post like that. Doc Brown is the ONLY exception. 

Tells you alot about leftwing morals.

Says the Trumptard ball licker! ?

Edited by BigMcD

267K donors, 6 days, little positive publicity... and speaking of which, there are some really "nice" people (sarcasm to infinity) out there! And to think this man sacrificed three limbs defending these *****' freedom and the right to say this garbage to him:

EXCLUSIVE: Read the Vile Hate Mail Sent to Triple Amputee Veteran Behind #GoFundTheWall, Encouraged by Liberal Media and Celebrities